Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 126145 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #840 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
a181: Actually, it lists no such restriction. It therefore also allows you to augment powers up to your new manifester level and, arguably (and by RAW), bonus power points since that literally states it works off Manifester level. Don't be surprised if your DM axes the last bit, though - and it certainly doesn't grant the power points (or powers known) you'd have gotten from the level increase.
Regardless, the ability to USE extra power points based off of you new ML would definitely come in handy.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Oblivion590

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #841 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
Q182 While we've been mentioning the Deck of Many Things, something that came up in a recent adventure that doesn't seem to have much of a rules explanation. Say a level 1 character with no XP has a Deck of Many Things and draws the Fool (-10,000 XP and redraw), then draws the Sun (+50,000 XP and beneficial medium wondrous item). What happens after drawing the first card (if anything), and what is the ending XP?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #842 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Q 183 When designing a lvl 7 wizard NPC as a villain, who thinks solely of himself, and his construct army that he's going to build (which requires woodworking OR weaving), which craft skill is better and more plausible for him to take? Why? And no, I'm not looking to make him into an eventual war weaver.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #843 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
Q182 While we've been mentioning the Deck of Many Things, something that came up in a recent adventure that doesn't seem to have much of a rules explanation. Say a level 1 character with no XP has a Deck of Many Things and draws the Fool (-10,000 XP and redraw), then draws the Sun (+50,000 XP and beneficial medium wondrous item). What happens after drawing the first card (if anything), and what is the ending XP?

First card = Dead.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #844 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

First card = Dead.

Source?

Q 183 When designing a lvl 7 wizard NPC as a villain, who thinks solely of himself, and his construct army that he's going to build (which requires woodworking OR weaving), which craft skill is better and more plausible for him to take? Why? And no, I'm not looking to make him into an eventual war weaver.

Woodworking, because it's easier to make dangerous wooden contraptions than dangerous fabrics.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #845 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Woodworking, because it's easier to make dangerous wooden contraptions than dangerous fabrics.
That's good enough for me.

Q 184 Where can I find variant arrows? I've seem them before, but can't find them now. They do slashing, bludgeoning, etc damage, there's a smoke one, and others.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
Dragon compendium, and Arms and Equipment guide both have them.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #847 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
Dragon compendium, and Arms and Equipment guide both have them.
That helps, but I'm still looking for the slashing ones. Maybe it's in a Dragon Magazine somewhere.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #848 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
There are some in Races of the Wild as well.  Serpentstounge arrows, for example, cost 3gp per 20 and deal slashing and piercing damage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #849 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »
There are some in Races of the Wild as well.  Serpentstounge arrows, for example, cost 3gp per 20 and deal slashing and piercing damage.
Hmm. Okay. I'll have at look at those.

Grim Sage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #850 on: April 15, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
You can also make Razorfeather arrows from steelwings (MM5). Nonmagical keen adamantine arrows, produced with a DC 30 craft check for each batch of 50.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #851 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Q 185 I really suck at this whole math thing for creating items.

Customary location, 3rd level spell, 6th lvl caster, Divide by (5 divided by charges per day--only 1/day), activation is swift/free. How much?

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #852 on: April 15, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »

First card = Dead.

Source?

From SRD under Energy Drained
"If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies."

While it doesn't explicitly reference loss of experience, I've seen quite a few scenarios where enough negative experience to drop you below one hit dice means Death (Necropolitan is all I can come up with at the moment).

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #853 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:18 PM »
Q 185 I really suck at this whole math thing for creating items.

Customary location, 3rd level spell, 6th lvl caster, Divide by (5 divided by charges per day--only 1/day), activation is swift/free. How much?

A 185: Swift/free activation does not have a preset price to my knowledge, so any pricing scheme for it would be ad hoc. When replicating spell effects being made swift, I'd suggest pricing it as a spell 4 levels higher (ie: Quickened) and possibly with an increased minimum caster level to go with it.

Level 3, CL 6, 1/day, normal: 3*6*1800*1/5 = 6480g
Level 7, CL 6, 1/day, ad hoc #1: 7*6*1800/5 = 15120g
Level 7, CL 13, 1/day, ad hoc #2: 7*13*1800/5 = 32760g

Its price should probably be somewhere in that range, depending on the effect in question.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #854 on: April 15, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

First card = Dead.

Source?

From SRD under Energy Drained
"If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies."

While it doesn't explicitly reference loss of experience, I've seen quite a few scenarios where enough negative experience to drop you below one hit dice means Death (Necropolitan is all I can come up with at the moment).
necropolitan has a specific rule for that. no where else does it say negative xp can kill you.

for lack of any other ruling, it seems the character in question would be level1 with -10 000 xp, and then gain 50 000.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #855 on: April 15, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
See, that's the problem I've got. The original wondrous item that this is based off of, is 2200 gold, but for the life of me I can't get it to go that low. It's the ring of storing, much like the glove of storing. That's all it costs. I'm just trying to make it cheaper for a low magic world. So instead of continuous, and being 10,000 in 3.5 (take away the Quick Draw aspect), and just make it the way it was in 3.0, it should be even cheaper.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #856 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
See, that's the problem I've got. The original wondrous item that this is based off of, is 2200 gold, but for the life of me I can't get it to go that low. It's the ring of storing, much like the glove of storing. That's all it costs. I'm just trying to make it cheaper for a low magic world. So instead of continuous, and being 10,000 in 3.5 (take away the Quick Draw aspect), and just make it the way it was in 3.0, it should be even cheaper.

lol you think WotC is internally consistent...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:30 PM »
Remember, those formula are guidelines. If it's similar to an existing effect, go off that pricing. There was an article or sidebar or something somewhere talking about that. I think it may have been in the Rules Compendium. It was talking about a magical zippo.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #858 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
magical zippo.
900gp. prestidigitation at will.

done.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #859 on: April 15, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
q186 Comprehensive list of Summon Monster and the versatility? I know Unicorns/Vivacious for healing... what else? What can grant me Plane Shift?