Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 124791 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #560 on: April 09, 2010, 02:43:35 AM »
Effigy Master is the PrC you're looking for. Doesn't get much better than that.
Wait, what? Why am I looking a PrC? That's only good for those who have access to the wiz/sor spell list, sadly. Not quite what I had in mind for the story (looking to go bard).
Afraid that's pretty much the only thing I can think of short of Artificer.

Making constructs ain't exactly easy I'm afraid.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #561 on: April 09, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »
Wait, what? Why am I looking a PrC? That's only good for those who have access to the wiz/sor spell list, sadly. Not quite what I had in mind for the story (looking to go bard).

Somehow I knew you were going to say something like that.

Just in case, I opened it up in the GM forum.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #562 on: April 09, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »
Q126: Does the Ghost Savage Progression have different requirements for the 'template'? I know its supposed to but: "'Ghost' is an acquired template  that can be added to any aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or plant. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have a Charisma score of at least 6" != "'Ghost' is an acquired template usually gained upon an intelligent creature's death. Such a creature can advance in the ghost template class and develop her powers slowly if desired."

Yes TML, you are free to answer without pimping.

A 126:
Template classes follow the normal rules for template acquisition according to creature type. For example, the wereboar template can be added only to a humanoid or giant. Thus, a half-dragon character (whose inherited template has already changed his type to dragon) could not take levels in the wereboar class.

Ghost brute is a very inferior alternative.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: April 09, 2010, 03:15:58 AM »

Well there's the Gnomish Artificer from Magic of Faerun, but I don't think that's quite up your alley either (although gnomes do make for nice bards).
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:57 AM »
Q127: Where is that lovely thread that mentions the up to 3 or so increase on maximum CL for spells (allowing alter self for 8HD, for instance)? I am sure it was something in the dragonlance setting but I can't find it now. I've looked through all the main feats and PrCs in the setting. I even loked back about 30 pages and used the search function...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:34:49 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »
Q128:
Is there a "theurge" PrC that would be good for advancing both a warlock and a psion?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »
Q127: Where is that lovely thread that mentions the up to 3 or so increase on maximum CL for spells (allowing alter self for 8HD, for instance)? I am sure it was something in the dragonlance setting but I can't find it now. I've looked through all the main feats and PrCs in the setting. I even loked back about 30 pages and used the search function...
Reserves of strength.
Planetouched Handbook

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2010, 05:34:30 AM »
A 128: No official one that I am aware of. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt either the Eldritch Theurge or Disciple from CM however.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2010, 05:50:07 AM »
Q128:
Is there a "theurge" PrC that would be good for advancing both a warlock and a psion?
Not that I know of. 

Note that since all psionic powers are defined as Psi-like-abilities, and since psi-like-abilities are defined as being the same thing as spell-like-abilities, you can use mortalbane psionic powers.
Planetouched Handbook

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2010, 05:54:54 AM »
Q122: If I have located an enemy who is invisible by having an ally with true seeing do I take miss chance for casting wings of flurry at their square (55' up with no cover to hide behind) even though there is no conceivable way to avoid it?

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27:15 AM »
http://www.google.ca/search?q=phasm+reserves+of+strength+shenanigans+alter+self+dream > http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7275.0 > http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7213.msg237312#msg237312
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
Q122: If I have located an enemy who is invisible by having an ally with true seeing do I take miss chance for casting wings of flurry at their square (55' up with no cover to hide behind) even though there is no conceivable way to avoid it?

Yes, especially considering Wings of Flurry targets individuals in the area instead of hitting the whole area. 

JaronK

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »
Q122:  Might seem like common sense, but is an Undead Cleric immune to their own Turn Undead ability?  If a Good Undead Cleric turns undead, the ability simply states it affects the closest, turnable undead.  Would that include the cleric?  I've checked the FAQ and Rules Compendium, but didn't find anything specific and/or definitive.

A122:  By RAW, no.  They evidently never considered undead Clerics when they made the Turn Undead rule.  Considering there are undead who have Rebuke Undead though, I think it's clear that RAI is they don't effect themselves.  Use that information as you will.
*sigh* There goes that build.  Thanks.
Just house rule it. No reason to give up on a build just because Wizards overlooked something.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
Q129: If I have located an enemy who is invisible by having an ally with true seeing do I take miss chance for casting wings of flurry at their square (55' up with no cover to hide behind) even though there is no conceivable way to avoid it?
A129
although you may know which square they are in .... notice this:

from here: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicOverview.html

AIMING A SPELLYou must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

thus you cant even cast Wings of Flurry at an Enemy who you cant see

:D

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #574 on: April 09, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Q129: If I have located an enemy who is invisible by having an ally with true seeing do I take miss chance for casting wings of flurry at their square (55' up with no cover to hide behind) even though there is no conceivable way to avoid it?
A129
although you may know which square they are in .... notice this:

from here: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicOverview.html

AIMING A SPELLYou must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

thus you cant even cast Wings of Flurry at an Enemy who you cant see

:D

Yes you can.

Quote from: RotD
Wings of Flurry:
Range: 30 ft.

Area: 30-ft.-radius burst

Nothing in there about targets :)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #575 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Q122:  Might seem like common sense, but is an Undead Cleric immune to their own Turn Undead ability?  If a Good Undead Cleric turns undead, the ability simply states it affects the closest, turnable undead.  Would that include the cleric?  I've checked the FAQ and Rules Compendium, but didn't find anything specific and/or definitive.

A122:  By RAW, no.  They evidently never considered undead Clerics when they made the Turn Undead rule.  Considering there are undead who have Rebuke Undead though, I think it's clear that RAI is they don't effect themselves.  Use that information as you will.
Note that Turn Undead is a cone area, so the one who uses it isn't in its AoE in the first place.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
(although gnomes do make for nice bards).
That is true. I haven't decided what race the bard's going to be yet.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
Q105: How does a monk's unarmed attack, a battlefist, and two-weapon fighting interact? 

For example, suppose my base unarmed damage is 2d6 and I have a battlefist, increasing it to 3d6.  When I use twf w/ my unarmed strikes, are my off-hand attacks at 2d6 or the full 3d6?  Would an ectoplasmic fist shard be any different? 

Common sense would seem to say that I need 2 battlefists, but monks have that funky "unarmed strike but really includes elbows and what-not" clause.
That's a good one actually. A battlefist is a one-handed melee weapon, which means only one attack is going to have it. I think you'd have to vocally state that you're going to use your fists, and nothing else, otherwise your DM might make you roll percentile for what limb is being used (depending on the DM of course).

Your off-hand attacks would likely be 2d6 while your main attack would be 3d6. If you got them on both fists, again you'd likely have to state that you're using them, but who wouldn't? It's no different than casting Magic Fang on someone's claw. Well, which claw's the magic one, and which one's not? Especially when you're rolling to hit? Two different coloured d20 for each one? Or percentage again? I actually dealt with this in one game I play in, until we got the spell Greater Magic Fang.

You'd just signify which was what for main and off-hand. Until you got two of them, at least. For a -8 armour penalty. Wheesh.
The Battle Fist says it increases unarmed damage.  It never says you must use it to attack.  Thus, the only real question is how do TWF and FoB interact.
This struck me as at least a viable reading, highlighting the difference between unarmed attacks and natural attacks.  Any other thoughts?  Would the more favorable reading be cheesy or anything? 

Also, "FoB"? 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #578 on: April 09, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

Note that Turn Undead is a cone area, so the one who uses it isn't in its AoE in the first place.
I only see mention of it being a 60 ft burst, not requiring LoS, but needing LoE, to effect targets. Where is the cone statement coming from?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]