Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition  (Read 124796 times)

Awkward Map

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Viking Berserker Edition
« Reply #920 on: April 17, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
Q 206: I'm playing a level 5 Dragonfire Adept who just got the Slow breath effect.  I'd like to know exactly what the Slow effect does limit the options of enemies.  According to the spell Slow an opponent can take only a standard or move action each turn.  Does this mean they cannot take free, swift, and immediate actions?  Further, taking a 5 foot step is described as a miscellaneous action (PHB 144).  Are enemies also denied taking a 5 foot step?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #921 on: April 17, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
In the rules compendium, it is clarified a little, but you can take a free, swift, or immediate action any time you are allowed another action. For instance, during surprise round, when using a readied action, etc.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #922 on: April 17, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
Q203Where is the passage in ToB that covers restrictions on alignments and maneuvers/stances? Like taking a [Chaotic] stance, such as Aura of Chaos, if you are lawfully aligned. Is there such a restriction? Am I blind?
A203:
In the case of stances/maneuvers which are clearly aligned (Doom Charge gives +damage vs. Good, DR from being "wreathed in unholy energy"), characters would probably never choose to learn those powers from a RP perspective because of opposite alignment. Evil characters would probably be exempt from this, though, seeing as they're okay with killing other Evil characters.
Doom Charge and it's Good counterpart actually do have alignment restrictions.  These are listed in the manuver prerequisites.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #923 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
Q 206: I'm playing a level 5 Dragonfire Adept who just got the Slow breath effect.  I'd like to know exactly what the Slow effect does limit the options of enemies.  According to the spell Slow an opponent can take only a standard or move action each turn.  Does this mean they cannot take free, swift, and immediate actions?  Further, taking a 5 foot step is described as a miscellaneous action (PHB 144).  Are enemies also denied taking a 5 foot step?

According to the Rules Compendium (page 7), you get your standard or move, and you also get swift, free, and immediate actions as normal.

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #924 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:19 PM »
McPoyo and Negative Zero: thanks for the clarification.  I thought denying a whole slew of actions sounded too good to be true.  I didn't know about getting free and swift on readied actions and surprise rounds, which is really great.

I do still wonder about 5-foot steps, though.  If a 5 foot step is an action - a miscellaneous one - that can be performed once per turn without counting against other actions, that places it outside of the available action types while slowed.  Thoughts on this?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #925 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
McPoyo and Negative Zero: thanks for the clarification.  I thought denying a whole slew of actions sounded too good to be true.  I didn't know about getting free and swift on readied actions and surprise rounds, which is really great.

I do still wonder about 5-foot steps, though.  If a 5 foot step is an action - a miscellaneous one - that can be performed once per turn without counting against other actions, that places it outside of the available action types while slowed.  Thoughts on this?
Considering you can 5 foot step between attacks in a full attack, or when taking a readied action, i'd say it doesn't prevent them.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #926 on: April 17, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »

I always understood that a 5-foot step was a 'no action'. That is, not any action. Do you have a source for "you may take a 5 foot step when taking a readied action", McPoyo?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #927 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

I always understood that a 5-foot step was a 'no action'. That is, not any action. Do you have a source for "you may take a 5 foot step when taking a readied action", McPoyo?
FAQ has several entries covering 5 foot steps, I am afb presently, however.

It tends to get answered in the middle of questions of "if I do X, can I still do Y, and when can I do Y during X?".

I know it was answered in a ToB question.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
Bump:

Q197  What faerunian planes would be good for a True Neutral Planar Shepard to choose as their favored plane?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #929 on: April 17, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

From the SRD:

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #930 on: April 17, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
I always understood that a 5-foot step was a 'no action'.

The 5 foot step is listed in the miscellaneous action section of both the SRD and the PHB.  As it's an action and not of a type granted while slowed, it can't be used.

Under the same section treatment is given to activation of a feat and skill.  "Use feat" says there are two types of feats: some which take actions and some which don't.  Those that take actions are assigned actions by the feats themselves, such as Whirlwind Attack's full-round action.  Denying usage of a feat would only occur if the feat itself took a full-round action, just like Whirlwind Attack.  "Use skill" says most skills take a standard action, but could take other actions as stated in the skill description.  Denying the use of a skill would only happen in a full-round case or one which uses multiple rounds must be used like Disable Device, I suppose.

Notably the the other two miscellaneous actions say to refer to other portions of the book for their type of action.  5 foot step is an action, but not one of the defined types.  However, it does have specific conditions for use: no other movement, can be slipped between any other actions, only in non-hampered terrain or in darkness, must have a speed of 5 feet or more, must have a listed speed for that mode of movement.  Of course, I could be missing some FAQ clarification or Sage ruling.

Edit: Rules Compendium page 90 says you can take a 5 foot step at any time so long as your movement isn't hampered or prohibited.  Also, no language on actions on this version of the 5 foot step.  I think this closes the book on it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:30:39 PM by Awkward Map »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #931 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
Q207: If my caster level increases while I am casting a spell, does the spell use the new caster level or the previous caster level?

For example: a 15th level Cleric is casting a Summon Monster spell (1 round casting time) and has Consumptive Field up and no other caster level boosts.  A party member drops an enemy to -4 hp and the enemy fails its save against the Consumptive Field.  Does the Summon Monster spell last for 15 rounds or 16 rounds?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #932 on: April 18, 2010, 12:06:48 AM »
Q 200! :What ways are there to automatically confirm a crit?
bless
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #933 on: April 18, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
bless
Doesn't stack with vorpal, which is what I'm going for. 

I suppose I just need to obtain an obscene bonus to crit confirmation.  And possibly rerolls.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »
bless

I suppose I just need to obtain an obscene bonus to crit confirmation.  And possibly rerolls.
aren't you doing this with TK'ed vorpal serpentstongue arrows?

anyways, there is a mountain hammer strike that gives everyone +10 on crit confirm vs the opponent it hits for a period of time(1 minute, I think).
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »
Edit: Rules Compendium page 90 says you can take a 5 foot step at any time so long as your movement isn't hampered or prohibited.  Also, no language on actions on this version of the 5 foot step.  I think this closes the book on it.

If that's the case, couldn't you take a 5 foot step, say, after someone charges you but before the attack goes off, a la Abrupt Jaunt? Sorry, I don't mean to make this harder than it should be, I just want to know what the rules say you can do here.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »

If that's the case, couldn't you take a 5 foot step, say, after someone charges you but before the attack goes off, a la Abrupt Jaunt? Sorry, I don't mean to make this harder than it should be, I just want to know what the rules say you can do here.
Can't move during someone else's turn, except with a readied action, so...
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #937 on: April 18, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
bless

aren't you doing this with TK'ed vorpal serpentstongue arrows?

anyways, there is a mountain hammer strike that gives everyone +10 on crit confirm vs the opponent it hits for a period of time(1 minute, I think).
Yeah, I am.  But having to roll 2 twenties in a row for a sure kill is too irritating.

Even with 84 attacks, that's still only get a 20% chance of killing the opponent.  Whereas with a 18-20 crit confirmation, I'd succeed 47% of the time.

Lets see... serren wood serpentstongue arrows, of course, since ghost touch attacks bypass most armors... maybe I should split this off into its own thread.

Probably should peel away the first two attacks as well, since using a splash weapon would remove any form of mirror image, and glowbug paste negates miss chances from blur, et cetera.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #938 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:41 AM »
Q208: this one has always bugged me. technically speaking, since readying an action is always a standard action, regardless of whether or not you ready a standard, move or full round action, couldn't anyone technically move towards someone, ready a full round action, and then full attack someone in the same turn? basically, a level1 monk could move 40ft to someone, and then drop a flurry(of misses) or decisive strike on them in the same round(but possibly at a lower initiative)?

seriously, this one has always bothered me. does it work?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Awkward Map

• Email
« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
A 208: No, you can only ready a standard, move, or free action.  By the Rules Compendium, with your readied action you can also use a free action, swift, and immediate action as well as a 5 foot step so long as you have not moved this round.

Quote from: d20 srd
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action.