Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160377 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Q74: How often can a Mindflayer use its mindblast? At-will?
Once every 1d4 rounds.

See, my copy of the MM doesn't say anything about that... :(

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »
Once every 1d4 rounds.

Nevermind then. They never errata'ed it, even all the way into MM5. Which means more work for us...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
Q68: Can I use two +1 Aptitude weapons (or a +1 Aptitude weapon and a +1 Aptitude Spiked Shield) to activate feats like Three Mountains, High Sword Low Axe, Lightening Mace, etc?
A68: Yes for both
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
Once every 1d4 rounds.

Nevermind then. They never errata'ed it, even all the way into MM5. Which means more work for us...
Only thing My errata gives for mind flayer is that it gets telepathy  :rollseyes
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
Q72

Anybody got a link to a copy of the Metamagic Compilation and Review or similar guide? The Wayback Machine has proven unhelpful, but people around here have managed to conjure results from it that I could not before. Original link is http://community.wizards.com/forumhandler?t=738345

Am not sure I am about the original thread, but the thread here Metamagic and You <http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9876.0> is pretty useful.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
Haunt Shift from Libris Mortis can let undead creatures haunt and animate objects up to huge size.  Building a heavy duty object in the shape of a mech with interior spaces could work quite well.

JaronK

Hmm, that works, but I was thinking more of a 'mechanika'/steampunk feel than necromantic construct feel.  Of course, thinking about this, Iron Kingdoms already has rules for Warjacks.. from there it's a pretty short leap to mecha, even shorter than scaling up the powered armour in that web supplement.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
Q72

Anybody got a link to a copy of the Metamagic Compilation and Review or similar guide? The Wayback Machine has proven unhelpful, but people around here have managed to conjure results from it that I could not before. Original link is http://community.wizards.com/forumhandler?t=738345

Am not sure I am about the original thread, but the thread here Metamagic and You <http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9876.0> is pretty useful.

Handy. I haven't read all the discussion, but looks like it doesn't list what I'm looking for. So, that leads to

Q75
Is there a Link Spell metamagic feat or similar that allows you to attach a spell to another spell and have it go off 1 round later (like Link Power)?

EDIT: No, the Magic Mantle doesn't count.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Haunt Shift from Libris Mortis can let undead creatures haunt and animate objects up to huge size.  Building a heavy duty object in the shape of a mech with interior spaces could work quite well.

JaronK

Hmm, that works, but I was thinking more of a 'mechanika'/steampunk feel than necromantic construct feel.  Of course, thinking about this, Iron Kingdoms already has rules for Warjacks.. from there it's a pretty short leap to mecha, even shorter than scaling up the powered armour in that web supplement.

Note that haunt shifted critters could theoretically be sectional... have one critter controlling the huge sized legs and torso, while the other ones control the arms and head and count as riding the legs like a mount?

Or, just have the Haunt Shifted huge contruct wearing clockwork armor.  It would be a giant spirit powered (Aether?) statue made of whatever you like (preferably something with a solid hardness score) clad in gears and pistons.  It's seriously steampunk/magitech.  If you want, get someone who can cast Extract Gift as a spell like ability (Spell Stitched Undead, Runesmith, whatever) and summon demons, then syphon their power into your clockwork death machine.  Separately Haunt Shift some medium sized turrets that you mount to your mecha.  Planar bind and kill some Orthons (FC1) for their Hellfire Crossbows, use the savage species ritual to give the turrets the Tenari subtype, and now you've got independently firing turret guns that launch bolts of hellfire up to 400ft with unlimited ammunition.  What could possibly go wrong?

JaronK
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:58:30 PM by JaronK »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
Bump.
Q70: Could someone please point me out various things that could be useful for a Gish w/ great mobility? I'm having some issues thinkering up something w/o having some Kobold Swiftblade in the mix for some reasons...

And, Q76: Telekinesis Combat Maneuver (bull rush) + Dungeon Crasher. Would it be a stretch to apply Int/Cha instead of Str for damage here? Though the RAW says I'd still add my Str.. Feels weird.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
Haunt Shift from Libris Mortis can let undead creatures haunt and animate objects up to huge size.  Building a heavy duty object in the shape of a mech with interior spaces could work quite well.

JaronK

Hmm, that works, but I was thinking more of a 'mechanika'/steampunk feel than necromantic construct feel.  Of course, thinking about this, Iron Kingdoms already has rules for Warjacks.. from there it's a pretty short leap to mecha, even shorter than scaling up the powered armour in that web supplement.

Note that haunt shifted critters could theoretically be sectional... have one critter controlling the huge sized legs and torso, while the other ones control the arms and head and count as riding the legs like a mount?

Or, just have the Haunt Shifted huge contruct wearing clockwork armor.  It would be a giant spirit powered (Aether?) statue made of whatever you like (preferably something with a solid hardness score) clad in gears and pistons.  It's seriously steampunk/magitech.  If you want, get someone who can cast Extract Gift as a spell like ability (Spell Stitched Undead, Runesmith, whatever) and summon demons, then syphon their power into your clockwork death machine.  Separately Haunt Shift some medium sized turrets that you mount to your mecha.  Planar bind and kill some Orthons (FC1) for their Hellfire Crossbows, use the savage species ritual to give the turrets the Tenari subtype, and now you've got independently firing turret guns that launch bolts of hellfire up to 400ft with unlimited ammunition.  What could possibly go wrong?

JaronK
Could also look at the Dragonmech campaign setting. It's all about mecha, including city-sized ones.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
A75 the closest is Delay Spell + Chain Spell

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »

JaronK

Or, just have the Haunt Shifted huge contruct wearing clockwork armor.  It would be a giant spirit powered (Aether?) statue made of whatever you like (preferably something with a solid hardness score) clad in gears and pistons.  It's seriously steampunk/magitech.  If you want, get someone who can cast Extract Gift as a spell like ability (Spell Stitched Undead, Runesmith, whatever) and summon demons, then syphon their power into your clockwork death machine.  Separately Haunt Shift some medium sized turrets that you mount to your mecha.  Planar bind and kill some Orthons (FC1) for their Hellfire Crossbows, use the savage species ritual to give the turrets the Tenari subtype, and now you've got independently firing turret guns that launch bolts of hellfire up to 400ft with unlimited ammunition.  What could possibly go wrong?

JaronK

What indeed?  You're thinking more magitechy, though, than i'm going.  And more gundam/macross style mecha, I guess I should have specified.  I'm looking for specifically Large/Huge style mecha, specifically like that thing Ripley uses to fight the alien queen in Aliens.  It's magitech in that it's powered by magic, but it's more.. mundane than hauntshifted demongifted multimind mecha.  And it looks all steampunkey.  It's not for a PC, although they might get their hands on it.  It's for the PCs to fight, if they botch a social encounter.  Yes, i'm making a mecha-based military in a fantasy setting.  Why?  Because i'm an evil, horrible little man.

Could also look at the Dragonmech campaign setting. It's all about mecha, including city-sized ones.

I had a quick look at that a while ago, and it seem to be very complex.  As in, 'use this for a campaign setting' complex, not 'use this for one encounter' complex.  I could be wrong, it was a while ago, though.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
Q 76:  What does the Metapower feat in Complete Psionics actually do?  One free metapsionic feat on a power of your choice?  -2 to all metapsionic feats applied to that power?  -2 on the cost of one specific metapsionic feat for one specific power?  I can't actually tell.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
A 76: the last one. -2 to specific metapsionic feat used on a specific power.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Drull

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »
Q77

question about CW Kensai:

Can a first level kensai make his +2 weapon into a +3 weapon or does he have to wait until level 3 to do it?

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
Q 78:

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
Q 78:

The usefulness of a critical multiplier increases more with damage bonuses rather than with base damage, for starters. Most weapons with high critical multipliers have low base damage and low threat range as a result.

That being said, damage multipliers are not that easy to come by. Critical hits become less useful the more you climb up the CR ladder, as more and more opponents tend to be immune. In other words, you probably want to crit more often rather than crit harder, unless you have the ability to force natural 20s or rerolls. Even when you have a high crit weapon, you want a better range. It's easier to improve range than it is to improve multiplier (kaorti resin weapons notwithstanding), so...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Demelain

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
Q79
Can someone explain to me why, when the Dwarf race is mentioned in a handbook, its generally coupled with a line about their advantage of NOT having speed reduced in Heavy armor? Their base land speed is 20 feet AND they are Medium creatures. It just seems to me that it's less "You aren't penalized for wearing medium+ armor" and more "You're penalized no matter what you wear, so go big".

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Q79
Can someone explain to me why, when the Dwarf race is mentioned in a handbook, its generally coupled with a line about their advantage of NOT having speed reduced in Heavy armor? Their base land speed is 20 feet AND they are Medium creatures. It just seems to me that it's less "You aren't penalized for wearing medium+ armor" and more "You're penalized no matter what you wear, so go big".
You can use any method of increasing their speed and they still will move that speed in heavier armor (so long as said method isn't restricted to certain kinds or armor).  Still, I follow your logic and really agree with it.  It's not that dwarves aren't penalized with speed for heavier armors, it's just that they're flat-out penalized and it simply doesn't get worse with heavier armors.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2011, 03:47:07 AM »