Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 159927 times)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #760 on: June 26, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
Q274 Looking at relic items, it states:

Now it never specifically states that the spell slot has to come from the divine spell casting class.  Additionally the metamagic feat Alternative Source spell allows you to prepare arcane spells as divine or divine spells as arcane.  So could you first prepare arcane spell slots as divine with alternative sourced spell, then prepare divine spell slots from your divine class, and finally sacrifice a normally arcane (now divine) spell slot to power the relic instead of a divine slot from the divine class?
I'd say just UMD it and skip the whole mess.  If you can UMD away expending a turn undead use, you can UMD away expending a spell.

Hmm, I know you can emulate having the class ability, but I did not know it gave you an effective use of the ability to activate an item.  For instance, I can see emulating the ability to cast divine spells to activate a karma bead.  You dont need to expend any spell slots, just have the class ability.  But I am not sure you can activate a Bow of Songs which requires you to expend one of your daily uses of bardic Music.  Is there an example somewhere where you can use UMD to emulate expending a turning dead use per day?

Now for my use, you could probably use UMD as you suggested followed by the expenditure of an arcane spell slot.  I have alternative sourced spell anyway for divine metamagic, and it says while preparing your divine spells you expend the slot, so I threw that in for completeness.

Relic are extremely powerful at reducing item costs if you need the extra capital.  I have a build with dead end caster class progression and slots that go unused.  Might as well put them to use.

Bard 1/Cleric 1/Wizard 3/ Dweomerkeeper 2/Eldrich master 4/ Sublime Chord 1/ Dweomerkeeper 12

Drull

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #761 on: June 26, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
Q 270: A troll druid has wildshape.  When he wildshapes into an animal form, he loses regeneration until he returns to his troll form, correct?

I'd actually say wrong. After all the errata it got, unless i'm mistaken, you dont get the new type, but keep your own, so the flavor has it your body changes, but your metabolism stays the same. After all, if you wild shape into a plant, you dont get plant type and immunities, you keep your monstrous humanoid subtype, which I believe would let you keep regeneration.
Regeneration isn't provided by the monstrous humanoid type.

You lose the "extraordinary attacks" of your original form.  While regeneration is extraordinary, it's a quality, not an attack, so you keep it.

See: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0;topicseen

Good idea, bad example, was just trying to show he still stays a troll even if he wild shapes, the important thing is we agree  :D

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #762 on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
Q 270: A troll druid has wildshape.  When he wildshapes into an animal form, he loses regeneration until he returns to his troll form, correct?

I'd actually say wrong. After all the errata it got, unless i'm mistaken, you dont get the new type, but keep your own, so the flavor has it your body changes, but your metabolism stays the same. After all, if you wild shape into a plant, you dont get plant type and immunities, you keep your monstrous humanoid subtype, which I believe would let you keep regeneration.
Regeneration isn't provided by the monstrous humanoid type.

You lose the "extraordinary attacks" of your original form.  While regeneration is extraordinary, it's a quality, not an attack, so you keep it.

See: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0;topicseen
Trolls are Giants, not Monstrous Humanoids, but the point stands.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #763 on: June 26, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Q275
Is there any feats or class abilites out there that can make a no elf creature count as a elf?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #764 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Q275
Is there any feats or class abilites out there that can make a no elf creature count as a elf?

You mean like a gay pride rainbow bumper sticker?  No, wait, that's an item.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #765 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
 Is there an example somewhere where you can use UMD to emulate expending a turning dead use per day?
It's the given example in the Player's handbook.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #766 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Q275
I think the Ruathar PrC does something like that, but I can't remember.

Q275

You mean like a gay pride rainbow bumper sticker?  No, wait, that's an item.

:lmao :lol
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

braininthejar

« Reply #767 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
Q276: A priest takes a prestige class. It advances his spellcasting but not his turning (which he would like to keep improving - it does come useful, especially with elemental domains)

Is there any way to make his prestige class levels count for the purpose of calculating the turning power?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #768 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
Q276: A priest takes a prestige class. It advances his spellcasting but not his turning (which he would like to keep improving - it does come useful, especially with elemental domains)

Is there any way to make his prestige class levels count for the purpose of calculating the turning power?

Some PrCs does exactly that. Check this out.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #769 on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
Q277: Is there any possible overlap between "Tier 3" and "able to shut down or kill a true dragon," for levels 6-12 and assuming a dragon CR no higher than character level +3?  Cold subtype dragons are a possibility.

lianightdemon

« Reply #770 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
Q278

Is it possible for a multiclass psionic character to take psicrystal affinity twice for each different psionic class (two different manifester levels) and get two psicrystals?

So a lurk1/psion 3 would have a HD 1 and HD 3 psicrystal in terms of abilities and HD.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:05:34 PM by lianightdemon »

braininthejar

« Reply #771 on: June 26, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »

And if one doesn't? Any way to get it on Shaundakul's Windwalker?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #772 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
Q277: Is there any possible overlap between "Tier 3" and "able to shut down or kill a true dragon," for levels 6-12 and assuming a dragon CR no higher than character level +3?  Cold subtype dragons are a possibility.

Not sure if I get your question right, but anyway if some Charger guy actually has Wraithstrike available, have your dragon boost himself w/ Scintillating Scales (SpC).

Q278

Is it possible for a multiclass psionic character to take psicrystal affinity twice for each different psionic class (two different manifester levels) and get two psicrystals?

So a lurk1/psion 3 would have a HD 1 and HD 3 psicrystal in terms of abilities and HD.

Not sure where this is written, but I'm pretty sure a feat cannot be taken twice (or more) unless it is actually written in the feat's description. Example be Toughness.

And if one doesn't? Any way to get it on Shaundakul's Windwalker?

Hmm.. Not to my knowledge. Sorry.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #773 on: June 26, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
Q252 Can someone please explain how to use Elemental binding as a cost reducer. Preferably with sources listed. I've read about it, but I'm still pretty lost. If it matters, it's for an artificer build with elemental binding and magical artisan: elemental binding along with extraordinary artisan and legendary artisan. I'm still creating the character(lvl 20) so if it doesn't work, I'll just change the feats. Thanks

bump

bump
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #774 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »
Q279 What's a reasonable price for a weapon enhancement that grants +5 ft reach?

Q280 Aside from Rainbow Servant and Arcane Disciple, is there any easy way (at least, not too cheesy so a newbie in 3.5 can understand) to add the cure spells to an arcane base class?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #775 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »
Q279 What's a reasonable price for a weapon enhancement that grants +5 ft reach?

A279: There's a starting point in the MiC, but I forget the name.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Archao

« Reply #776 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:40 AM »
One of the people I play with said there is an enhancement that does this, but I've been unable to find it.

MIC has several items that give limited reach extensions.

Shadowstrike (+5000gp weapon property) 3/day, +5' for one attack, deny enemy's Dex to AC.
Greatreach Bracers (2000gp bracers) 3/day, +10' reach for one round.
Reach Gauntlets (500gp gloves) 3/day spend one PP to extend reach by 5 feet until your turn ends.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »

Not sure if I get your question right, but anyway if some Charger guy actually has Wraithstrike available, have your dragon boost himself w/ Scintillating Scales (SpC).

I need to know what's in the middle, or if nothing is.  Group loses its collective mind when faced with a big threat, and a campaign is coming up with true dragons of unknown color (IOW Shivering Touch must be considered unreliable) as the big bads.  DM wants Tier 3 or Tier 4 characters only, and I can't think of any T3s which can reliably kill true dragons, or debuff them so thoroughly that a gang of fools can kill them safely.  If there's a good option I haven't thought of, I'd like to hear it.  If it's futile, I want to know early so I've got more time to come up with a workaround for the problem.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #778 on: June 27, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »
Q280 Aside from Rainbow Servant and Arcane Disciple, is there any easy way (at least, not too cheesy so a newbie in 3.5 can understand) to add the cure spells to an arcane base class?

Prestige bard?

Or just bard.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #779 on: June 27, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Warblade, Crusader...Tier three can kill true dragons unless they are higher CR and the fight is weighted against the PCs due to terrain or surprise.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]