Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160157 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #880 on: July 01, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »
When a creature's type changes, does it retain it's race's racial traits? Specifically, would a Feral (template, that, among other things, changes type to Monstrous Humanoid) Human still have the Human bonus feat and skill points?
You default to keeping all your racial stuff, except things derived from type (if your type changes).

For example, a construct changing to an outsider will lose their immunity to ability drain, since that's a construct trait.  They will have a little (augmented construct) subtype to remind themselves of what they were, but that never matters mechanically.
Hmm, so you are saying for example that a dragon turned outsider would lose his  immunity to sleep and paralysis.....
But that is directly contradicted by many examples of dragons turned outsiders in several books....
I think that the subtype(augmented whatever) lets you keep traits coming from your former type unless it is explictly stated....

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #881 on: July 01, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
Well most templates have a clause in them to this effect:

Quote from: Half-Celestial
Special Qualities:
A half-celestial has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Thus a dragon half-celestial keep shis dragon qualities, which should include the immunities and whatnot I believe.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #882 on: July 01, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
but those immunities are based on their type. if they change types, why should they keep the old type's qualities?

i remember seeing quite a few npc stat blocks that have the newest type qualities over the old type immunities.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #883 on: July 01, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »
but those immunities are based on their type. if they change types, why should they keep the old type's qualities?

i remember seeing quite a few npc stat blocks that have the newest type qualities over the old type immunities.

I don't think this is true....
In every outsider dragon I have seen(Half-fiend,half-celestial) they have kept their dragon immunities......
Two examples that came to mind are the half-fiend dragons from both Explorers handbook and dragons of eberron that have kept their immunity to sleep and paralysis despite being outsiders.....

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #884 on: July 01, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
here are some examples for my version....

Page 39 of Dragons of Faerun has a dragon ascendant that only has outsider and deity immunities

Page 46 of Dragons of Faerun has a dracolich that only has undead immunities

-------------------------------------------------
here are some from the same book against,..... :(

Page 51 of Dragons of Faerun has a dracolich that has both undead and dragon immunities

whatever... i guess there is no way to prove either side from just using examples from the books.

it just is up to interpretation of how we read the changes

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #885 on: July 01, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »
WotC is notorious for screwing up statblocks.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #886 on: July 01, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
here are some examples for my version....

Page 39 of Dragons of Faerun has a dragon ascendant that only has outsider and deity immunities

Page 46 of Dragons of Faerun has a dracolich that only has undead immunities

here are some from the same book against,..... :(

Page 51 of Dragons of Faerun has a dracolich that has both undead and dragon immunities

whatever... i guess there is no way to prove either side from just using examples from the books.

it just is up to interpretation of how we read the changes

I knew that wotc wasn't that consistent but to contradict themselves in the same book.....
I still think that it makes more sense to keep their old immunities that are derived from their type,maybe they keep them because of their augmented suptype.
Is anywhere stated what the augmented subtype confers?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #887 on: July 01, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Quote from: Augmented Subtype
Yep.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #888 on: July 01, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Unless a template indicates otherwise, the new creature has the traits of the new type but the features of the original type.

so unless the template says otherwise (half celestial) templated dragons will retain:
    *  12-sided Hit Dice.
    * Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
    * Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
    * Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

and lose:
    * Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
    * Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.
    * Proficient with its natural weapons only unless humanoid in form (or capable of assuming humanoid form), in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    * Proficient with no armor.
    * Dragons eat, sleep, and breathe.

Half celestial does however note that they retain their old special qualities...

Though I do note that dragons capable of assuming a humanoid form (Silver/Gold) arent proficient with their natural weapons...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:19:24 PM by Littha »

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: July 01, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
Q307 The miss chance granted by displacement applies for targeted mind-affecting abilities, such as dominate monster?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #890 on: July 01, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Q307 The miss chance granted by displacement applies for targeted mind-affecting abilities, such as dominate monster?

No.  Miss chance interferes with attack rolls, not target selection.  You'd need something that creates decoys like Mirror Image, or an effect that specifically functions against targeted effects like Evasive Celerity, to protect you from those effects.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #891 on: July 01, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
Q308
Does the Drake Helm and associated Dragonshards (Ebberon: Explorer's handbook) Allow a caster to add a spell to their spells known even if it is off their class list?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »

No.  Miss chance interferes with attack rolls, not target selection.  You'd need something that creates decoys like Mirror Image, or an effect that specifically functions against targeted effects like Evasive Celerity, to protect you from those effects.

Well... I am using a Swiftblade... that's why I decided to ask  :P

Q309 Can a psion detect a creature with Darkstalker using Touchsight?

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #893 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
310: Which feat is it that allows a character to go into -15hp before dying, rather than -10hp. I thought it was diehard but it isn't...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #894 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »

Well... I am using a Swiftblade... that's why I decided to ask  :P

Q309 Can a psion detect a creature with Darkstalker using Touchsight?

A309
Darkstalker is specific to blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense, and Touchsight uses none of these, so yes, you can.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #895 on: July 02, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
310: Which feat is it that allows a character to go into -15hp before dying, rather than -10hp. I thought it was diehard but it isn't...
This is probably not what you're looking for, but this could work in a pinch for you. Shape Soulmeld (Rageclaws), Magic of Incarnum. Use that soulmeld. Now you can act normally until -9 hp (believe you still die at -10, as usual). That's quite boss for a level 1 character. Now invest essentia into the Rageclaws soulmeld. Per point of essentia invested, you can last another 3 hp.

1 essentia = act normally until -12hp, 2 = act until -15hp, 3 = act until -18, etc.

So if you have essentia points (taking an meldshaping class, being an incarnum race, or taking incarnum feats), the Rageclaws soulmeld will pretty do what you want to do.

But it takes essentia to get you to acting normally at -15hp, which is a little more investment than just 1 feat (either a race, class level, or another feat), so I'm pretty sure that is not what you were asking for, so everyone consider this question unaswered. Still, it might work in a pinch and I though to might find it interesting.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #896 on: July 02, 2011, 01:29:09 AM »
I knew that wotc wasn't that consistent but to contradict themselves in the same book.....
I still think that it makes more sense to keep their old immunities that are derived from their type,maybe they keep them because of their augmented suptype.
Is anywhere stated what the augmented subtype confers?

Yeah, bad proofreading ;)

I think there should be some types that retain certain aspects of the type like lack of a Con score, etc. But the rest should be just fluff.

I don't ever remember seeing anything anywhere that says what the augmented 'type' subtype does or does not grant.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #897 on: July 02, 2011, 02:46:32 AM »
Q311: The plot just awarded me the Dragonblood subtype or whatever it is.  I'm a cleric.  Suggestions on how I should abuse this?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #898 on: July 02, 2011, 03:14:14 AM »
Q311: The plot just awarded me the Dragonblood subtype or whatever it is.  I'm a cleric.  Suggestions on how I should abuse this?
Singer of concordance is a pretty good prc.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #899 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
Q312: Feats/maneuvers that specifically call for preferred weapons notwithstanding, is there any need for a martial adept to use a martial school's preferred weapons?

For example is there a compelling reason a four-handed Ranger 6/Warblade X with Improved Multiweapon Fighting and Stormguard Warrior should use Iron Heart weapons instead of four light weapons?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:24:01 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."