Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160186 times)

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
Q140 What ways are there to get Anyspell as a Cleric (other than the 3.0 feat Initiate of Mystra, taking the Spell Domain, or taking Planar Touchstone:Catalgoues of Enlightenment-Spell Domain)?

Q141 Alternatively, what are the ways to have three domains of your choice (Cloistered Cleric doesn't count) as a single-class Cleric?

Archao

« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
Q140 What ways are there to get Anyspell as a Cleric (other than the 3.0 feat Initiate of Mystra, taking the Spell Domain, or taking Planar Touchstone:Catalgoues of Enlightenment-Spell Domain)?

Q141 Alternatively, what are the ways to have three domains of your choice (Cloistered Cleric doesn't count) as a single-class Cleric?
If Eberron material is allowed, the Sovereign Speaker is a PrC in Faiths of Eberron (p32) grants domains, but you must worship the Sovereign Host (though the Adaptation section may allow any pantheon). Unless you mean full cleric with no PrCs allowed. If that's the case, I'm stumped.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »

A141 Contemplative PrC from Complete Divine gives a domain at 1st and 6th I think.  I second the "If you literally mean Cleric 20, I have no idea"
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
Q 142: Is there any way to progress in druid and cleric casting at the same time?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Zebu

« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »

A141 Contemplative PrC from Complete Divine gives a domain at 1st and 6th I think.  I second the "If you literally mean Cleric 20, I have no idea"

Yep, I literally mean Cleric 20.  No PrCs.  I'm stumped too.

Q 142: Is there any way to progress in druid and cleric casting at the same time?
Gestalt?  Other than that...  an Archivist can learn Cleric and Druid spells (and any other divine spells as well).  Is that good enough?

Harnel

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
Q143: Spellfire from Magic of Faerun, a 3.0 sourcebook, states that you have to ready an action to absorb spell levels. This, however, is because a rod of absorption in 3.0 had to ready an action to use it. Does this mean that in 3.5, where a rod of absorption takes no action to use, spellfire would be the same?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
Q135 I've seen a lot of use of CoP to predict the future, like asking what is going to happen tomorrow and prepare accordingly. However, I can't find out where it says this is allowed?
you essentially word your questions like a binary engine, almost 20 Questuons-like, so that through one word answers you eventually divine the upcoming threats to yourself.

But it says nothing about the ability to answer a question about the future. Only answers questions that are true right now, how do I get around that?
It doesn't state anything about only answering questions about the present.

Statements about the future can be true or false as well.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
Gestalt?  Other than that...  an Archivist can learn Cleric and Druid spells (and any other divine spells as well).  Is that good enough?
erg... ish... there is no way to be a druid with an arcane power source is there, then I could dabble Ur-Priest to MT.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #388 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:37 AM »
Q144 Can a human subvert the racial requirement for Seeker of the Misty Isle without a house rule involved?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #389 on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Q145: What is "fixed range" (As in the description of the Persistent Spell)? Please give a reference so I can see exactly where this ruling is coming from. Everyone seems to think Touch Range is not Fixed Range but I have not come across any kind of supporting reference for that statement or a reference to the definition of "fixed range". Thanks a bunch!
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
Q145: What is "fixed range" (As in the description of the Persistent Spell)? Please give a reference so I can see exactly where this ruling is coming from. Everyone seems to think Touch Range is not Fixed Range but I have not come across any kind of supporting reference for that statement or a reference to the definition of "fixed range". Thanks a bunch!
There is none; that's the problem. Whether touch range counts as fixed or not is a debated topic, though not as hotly as some others. The main argument agaisnt touch being a fixed range is that it matches your unarmed melee reach, which is very much not fixed. If you're Small or Medium, touch range is 5 feet, if you're Large, it's 10 feet, if you're Tiny or smaller it's 0 feet, and so on. I think the best we have to go on is a FAQ entry or CustServ answer saying it doesn't count as fixed, but I've no idea where that would be found, and in any case it's not much of an answer.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

rot42

« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »

A140 Play an Archivist instead was my first thought, but that might not be applicable. The 3.5 Player's Guide to Faerun also has an Initiate of Mystra feat (pg. 81) if the being 3.0 was the only problem with the feat. Going out on a limb here, you could take the Shadow domain (Eberron something, I think - can check if you would like) for Shadow Evocation to qualify for Shadowcraft Mage (Races of Stone); this might replicate the feel of "cleric who casts a bunch of wizard spells", though obviously it requires a prestige class.

A141 The Substitute Domain spell (Complete Champion 128) might get you where you need to go, though it only allows two domains at a time and is restricted to swapping domains that your deity offers. Or are consistent with your ideals, presumably.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
Q146:

I need to be able to cast 'Magic Weapon' to fulfill a prereq for a Paladin/Divine Crusader/Ordained Champion build I am working on. I cannot get the War domain, as my deity will be Nobanion. That means that I need one of three things:

A) A way to add Magic Weapon to my DC spell list, such as through a feat similar to the Extra Spell feat.

B) A way to make Paladin spells run off cha rather than wis, or:

C) A PrC that grants minor cha-dependant divine spellcasting capabilities, including the elusive Magic Weapon, on a 1-level dip.

Is either of these options vaiable in the realms of all non-campaign setting specific books + dragon mags + books specific to the Forgotten Realms setting?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
Skimming through Dragon Magazines recently, I've found that the Avarice domain (#323) has Telekinesis as 5th level spell... I guess my question would be Q147[u/]: since the spell never were designed to get used by wisdom based casters, there's no line for it in its description. Would it be a stretch to let a Cleric add his/her wis like a the others add their int/cha? There's no RAW on this AFAICT.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
Q 148: Can an enemy be affected by Sweeping Strike more than once?  I.e. a War Mind is also a Warblade, and initiates Mithril Tornado, making one attack at each of the 8 mooks around himself.  Does Sweeping Strike turn each of these into effectively two attacks against each, as he may apply an attack to the mook to that mook's right or left?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
Skimming through Dragon Magazines recently, I've found that the Avarice domain (#323) has Telekinesis as 5th level spell... I guess my question would be Q147[u/]: since the spell never were designed to get used by wisdom based casters, there's no line for it in its description. Would it be a stretch to let a Cleric add his/her wis like a the others add their int/cha? There's no RAW on this AFAICT.

that is up to the DM of the game entirely. there are some other spells, as i recall (i can't remember off the top of my head), that are in a similar situation

rot42

« Reply #396 on: June 08, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Skimming through Dragon Magazines recently, I've found that the Avarice domain (#323) has Telekinesis as 5th level spell... I guess my question would be Q147: since the spell never were designed to get used by wisdom based casters, there's no line for it in its description. Would it be a stretch to let a Cleric add his/her wis like a the others add their int/cha? There's no RAW on this AFAICT.

I would say that just using the modifier for your casting stat is appropriate in the vast majority of cases like that. Your deity is letting you channel divine power for the spell, and Wisdom measures how good you are at that.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
^@zook1shoe: I'm more or less asking for opinions.

^@rot42: That would be my take on cases like these, too.

Q 148: Can an enemy be affected by Sweeping Strike more than once?  I.e. a War Mind is also a Warblade, and initiates Mithril Tornado, making one attack at each of the 8 mooks around himself.  Does Sweeping Strike turn each of these into effectively two attacks against each, as he may apply an attack to the mook to that mook's right or left?

Yes. The only limitation here is that 10 feet movement thing from Sweeping Strike.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

rot42

« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »
Q146:

I need to be able to cast 'Magic Weapon' to fulfill a prereq for a Paladin/Divine Crusader/Ordained Champion build I am working on. I cannot get the War domain, as my deity will be Nobanion. That means that I need one of three things:

A) A way to add Magic Weapon to my DC spell list, such as through a feat similar to the Extra Spell feat.

B) A way to make Paladin spells run off cha rather than wis, or:

C) A PrC that grants minor cha-dependant divine spellcasting capabilities, including the elusive Magic Weapon, on a 1-level dip.

Is either of these options viable in the realms of all non-campaign setting specific books + dragon mags + books specific to the Forgotten Realms setting?

A146: Well, the easiest way would be Paladin 4 with a Wisdom of 12 or Paladin 6 with a Wisdom of 11, but I am guessing that that solution is not available. Contemplative (Complete Divine 30) gives you a domain at first level (character level 11, unfortunately), is dead easy to qualify for, and advances spellcasting. The feats Planar Touchstone or Heretic of the Faith can also give you access to War. You can scroll through the Bonus Domains section at the Lists of Stuff (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.0) for more. You might also try mining Archivist threads for weird domains and PrCs, but I am not aware of anything off hand. If you can nab Turn Undead from somewhere, Favored Soul into Prestige Paladin gives Charisma-based casting; you would need Mounted Combat, but get Weapon Focus for free.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »
Q135 I've seen a lot of use of CoP to predict the future, like asking what is going to happen tomorrow and prepare accordingly. However, I can't find out where it says this is allowed?
you essentially word your questions like a binary engine, almost 20 Questuons-like, so that through one word answers you eventually divine the upcoming threats to yourself.

But it says nothing about the ability to answer a question about the future. Only answers questions that are true right now, how do I get around that?

Semantically, by using the Future Tense.