Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 159925 times)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
Q42: I think I saw somewhere a thread about stating characters from the Dead Fantasy videos on YouTube, but now I can't find them. Could someone help me? (I hope I'm not crazy and there IS such a thread)
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »
Q 43: Multi-part question...A)Assuming proper proficiency and the feat allowing you to retain AC while performing attacks with a shield, a shield is essentially a second weapon granting an AC bonus, thus meaning optimizing it is the same as optimizing TWF, correct?  B)Can a shield be considered a weapon without spikes/blades/other crap assuming you have proficiency?  C)Would it be more worthwhile to consider it an improvised weapon and then optimize unarmed strike damage, as at least with those we can get 1.5 Str and effective Power Attack?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »
Q42: I think I saw somewhere a thread about stating characters from the Dead Fantasy videos on YouTube, but now I can't find them. Could someone help me? (I hope I'm not crazy and there IS such a thread)

A42: First and foremost, the answer is 42.

Secondly, I remember something similar by OW4 on the Gleemax forums.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
Q44: What ways are available for a character to treat their unarmed strikes (fists) as cold iron? Is the best way through a Amulet of Natural Attacks, making the chosen weapons +1 metalline?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
Q 45: The adaptive flanker feat allows you to virtually occupy one extra square ( which can be any that you threaten) for the purpose of flanking.

If you have an ability to threaten more than one square away from you, can you pick the square behind the opponent and flank him all by yourself?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
Q44: What ways are available for a character to treat their unarmed strikes (fists) as cold iron? Is the best way through a Amulet of Natural Attacks, making the chosen weapons +1 metalline?
There's a low-level druid/ranger spell (Metal Fang) from Complete Champion that you could make into a custom item that gives you cold iron or silver, or both.
There's the Arcanopath Monk PrC which gets it at 5th level.
Using an amulet of might fists and using the +2 metalline would also work, but would get a bit expensive. Especially when you can get a Ring of Adamantine Touch for only 6000 for that part, and it's unlimited.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
Q46
Does a creature using a cognizance crystal or power stone count as the creature manifesting the power? Essentially I'm asking, can a 6th level Psion use either of these as a way to manifest a power costing, say, 9 power points. I'm guessing the answers are no and yes, respectively.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Q47: If you cast a spell that is both Enchantment and Illusion, or even one that is Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, does it get multiple boosts from Shadow Weave Magic?
Quote from: Relevant Text
Add a +1 bonus to the DC for all saving throws of spells you cast from the schools of Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy, and spells with the darkness descriptor.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »
A40: A parasol and long clothing works very well, since only direct sunlight causes issues.

A44: There's a spell in Complete Champion that allows a natural weapon to be treated as Cold Iron or Silver for overcoming DR (or both if you cast the spell twice).

A46: The creature is considered the manifester in the case of cozigance crystals.  Power Stones are like scrolls in that they have their own manifester level (although unlike scrolls, you can use your own power points to manifest the stored power and use your own manifester level.  Still flushes the stone)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:14 AM »
Q48 The spell superior invisibility (SpC 125) renders you immune to magical detection other then true seeing. Could you combine that with Spell Immunity (True Seeing) to render yourself undetectable unless you do something stupid (like forget the adventurers have ranks in listen, which my last party did not  :devil)
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2011, 03:22:57 AM »
A48

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2011, 04:41:52 AM »
Q49
If a ghost uses malevolence to get control over a body, can he apply his racial +8 hide modifier when "in" that body?

Q50
What can low-level ghosts do to beat the DC15 level check?

Bard

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2011, 05:08:03 AM »
Q51 Any way to gain early entry in a PrC that requires X skill ranks? (Namely I need a 8 level entry to Seeker of the Song or Sublime Chord so I can get both)
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2011, 06:07:27 AM »
A51: You can use skill retraining (PHB2), or Favored & Primary Contact (feats from Cityscape). If you need an Intelligence-based skill, you can take Laborious Training (Ravenloft - Legacy of the Blood) to increase your maximum ranks by 2.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2011, 06:12:34 AM »
Q 52 I thought it was BoVD, but I guess I was wrong. Which book has the minions that an evil being can accumulate, much like someone with Leadership can do?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
Bumpage, for science.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
- Get into the Heartwarder PrC as early as possible (say 1st level at ECL 6 or 7) with a Cha-based casting class then go straight Heartwarder.
- Be able to DMM Persist the Blinding Beauty spell from BoED.

I have an LA of 5 (yes I know, LA sucks, I'm just playing with a build here). So basically LA 5/Heartwarder 9/Anything 6 -not in that order obviously- with "Anything" providing:
- access to the Blinding Beauty spell
- access to DMM Persist (mainly Turn Undead, really, the rest I think I can handle)
- Cha-based full casting

Q38: Doable? If so, How? I'm almost there with a Sorcerer/Sacred Exorcist with the Arcane Disciple feat, but it doesn't work unless I do Sorc6/Heartwarder1/Sacred Exorcist1/Heartwarder9, which is one too many levels.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Q 52 I thought it was BoVD, but I guess I was wrong. Which book has the minions that an evil being can accumulate, much like someone with Leadership can do?
Exemplars of Evil, page 29
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Q53: Is there a way for an epic human fighter (not the class) to be able to fight with more than two hands? This Character is a normal human, she has only two hands, but it would be cool if she could wield more weapons with her feets or teeth (ala Roronoa Zoro from One Piece :D).
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Q 43: Multi-part question...A)Assuming proper proficiency and the feat allowing you to retain AC while performing attacks with a shield, a shield is essentially a second weapon granting an AC bonus, thus meaning optimizing it is the same as optimizing TWF, correct?  B)Can a shield be considered a weapon without spikes/blades/other crap assuming you have proficiency?  C)Would it be more worthwhile to consider it an improvised weapon and then optimize unarmed strike damage, as at least with those we can get 1.5 Str and effective Power Attack?

A43
A: Yes.  Light shields are light weapons, heavy shields are one-handed.
B: A shield is a martial weapon for the purposes of shield bashing.
C: It would be a houserule.

Q47: If you cast a spell that is both Enchantment and Illusion, or even one that is Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, does it get multiple boosts from Shadow Weave Magic?
Quote from: Relevant Text
Add a +1 bonus to the DC for all saving throws of spells you cast from the schools of Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy, and spells with the darkness descriptor.

A47  Page 95 of the PHBII explains: "Benefits that apply to a school of magic do not stack with themselves even if the spellcaster can apply them to both schools of magic."
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
A48 again

No, you can't, because you don't get Spell Resistance to avoid being seen by True Seeing. You would, however, be immune to having True Seeing cast on you.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.