Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115862 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #420 on: July 17, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
What sources are allowed? I've always wanted to try a Law Incarnate, personally.
LE Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade/Blackguard might also be fun.
As far as I know all sources. The only restriction is being lawful, which can kind of block out a few classes in and of itself (ie barbarian).

The incarnate doesn't look too bad for saves, but their BAB is a little low.
Yeah, but Lawful ones can get pretty big attack bonuses through their Incarnum Radiance and Incarnate Avatar. It's best at lower levels, when the difference is +1 to +3 or so and more than made up by your attack bonuses. If you could somehow get yourself some Divine Power... :plot
But then, knowing your DMs that would likely get nerfed into the ground faster than you can say "overpowered".

Getting a Skillful weapon also helps. Or being a Dwarf and going in that Soulforged (?) PrC. I always forget the name. Lawful Incarnates do have high attack bonuses in the end, yes.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #421 on: July 17, 2010, 02:28:54 PM »
What sources are allowed? I've always wanted to try a Law Incarnate, personally.
As far as I know all sources. The only restriction is being lawful, which can kind of block out a few classes in and of itself (ie barbarian).

Yeah, but Lawful ones can get pretty big attack bonuses through their Incarnum Radiance and Incarnate Avatar. It's best at lower levels, when the difference is +1 to +3 or so and more than made up by your attack bonuses. If you could somehow get yourself some Divine Power... :plot
But then, knowing your DMs that would likely get nerfed into the ground faster than you can say "overpowered".

Getting a Skillful weapon also helps. Or being a Dwarf and going in that Soulforged (?) PrC. I always forget the name. Lawful Incarnates do have high attack bonuses in the end, yes.
Right, Skillful makes your BAB with that weapon 3/4, doesn't it? By level 10, that would be +7, easily made up for with your class features. And yeah, that PrC kicks ass, especially since you know you don't have to weigh it against getting the Incarnate copstone ability.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »

Oh no. The Friday DM's all about making you pay through the nose on stuff. If you want Divine Power or True Seeing, go for it. Just know that you're going to be out a lot of money for it because the spells don't last long, which means you're either going to pay for a high caster for multiple rounds, or it'll be continuous. Either way, you're out the gold and can't buy other stuff that might have been a better purchase.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: July 17, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Bump
Q111  I need to equip an awakened Conflagration Ooze, I'm trying to figure out how to do so without the equipment dissolving.  Ideas?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #424 on: July 17, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »
What type of damage does it do?  Fire or acid?

Q118: Can you UMD skillful?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: July 17, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
What type of damage does it do?  Fire or acid?

Q118: Can you UMD skillful?

Looks like it should be Fire.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: July 17, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
Q 119: What would be the price (According to the DMG) of Greater Mighty Wallop 1/day body slotted magic item?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: July 17, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
Q120. Could a Babou (tanar'ri) wield weapons/equips without his acid body ooze pwning said equips?
Q121. How would I work around the acid if it does eat equips? black dragon hide armors and stuff?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: July 17, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
Q 119: What would be the price (According to the DMG) of Greater Mighty Wallop 1/day body slotted magic item?
At what caster level?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: July 17, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Q 122a Since Golem Strike, Grave Strike, and Divine Favor, are some of those spells that have a VERY limited duration time (ie 1 round, 1 minute, etc), how do you extend that?
Q 122b How do you make those into magic items with charges per day? What's the math?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #430 on: July 17, 2010, 10:30:31 PM »
Q123:  Is there a fey that might be described as "a feminine creature made seemingly of nothing but thorny vines. She has a humanoid shape and face, and glistening rose petals in place of hair" and colloquially called a Rose?  With a ranged (possibly very short ranged, it was about 15' away) special attack that requires a Will save or puts you out of commission (I think Dazed, but not certain) for 1 hour?

Trying to figure out whether this damned monster is published or homebrew, and study up on its strengths and weaknesses if it's the former.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: July 18, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »
At what caster level?
5th
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »
At what caster level?
5th
command activated items at cl 5, 1/day would cost 1800gp*the level of the spell if I recall the table correctly.

Edit: using a nonassociated body slot would increase the cost by 1.5 though. Gloves wouldn't incur those extra costs.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2010, 12:17:49 AM »
Q123:  Is there a fey that might be described as "a feminine creature made seemingly of nothing but thorny vines. She has a humanoid shape and face, and glistening rose petals in place of hair" and colloquially called a Rose?  With a ranged (possibly very short ranged, it was about 15' away) special attack that requires a Will save or puts you out of commission (I think Dazed, but not certain) for 1 hour?

Trying to figure out whether this damned monster is published or homebrew, and study up on its strengths and weaknesses if it's the former.
Possibly a petal?
Planetouched Handbook

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #434 on: July 18, 2010, 12:19:31 AM »
Q120. Could a Babou (tanar'ri) wield weapons/equips without his acid body ooze pwning said equips?
Q121. How would I work around the acid if it does eat equips? black dragon hide armors and stuff?

A 120: Babau's don't need to worry about breaking their own equipment due to their acid resistance, which should apply to any of the demon's equipment as well. Acid resistance 10 should always be in excess of the 1d8 points of acid damage that the slime deals. If your DM rules that it doesn't, just use the Resist Energy spell, which explicitly does apply to your equipment.

Q 122a Since Golem Strike, Grave Strike, and Divine Favor, are some of those spells that have a VERY limited duration time (ie 1 round, 1 minute, etc), how do you extend that?
Q 122b How do you make those into magic items with charges per day? What's the math?

A 122a: You can extend those spells the same way you extend any other spell, with the Extend Spell and Persistent Spell metamagics. A friendly Incantatrix can apply them with Cooperative Metamagic or Metamagic Effect. If you are an Artificer, you can do it yourself with Metamagic Spell Trigger off of a wand of the above spells.

A 122b: The math is, in principle, 1800 * caster level * spell level for at will, command word items, or 2000*CL*level for use-activated. A 5 charge/day item costs the same amount, and lesser uses/day cost proportionately less. The relevant information can be found on the SRD, under Creating Magic Items.
   If you don't want to turn to custom magic items, Eternal Wands can hold an arcane spell from 0th to 4th to be used 2/day, with prices varying from a few hundred gold to about 10000 or so. I do not have the book that they are from, so I cannot give you more exact information.

A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #435 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:04 AM »
At what caster level?
5th
command activated items at cl 5, 1/day would cost 1800gp*the level of the spell if I recall the table correctly.

Edit: using a nonassociated body slot would increase the cost by 1.5 though. Gloves wouldn't incur those extra costs.
C 119: so to clarify, charge perday items have their costs stated off wands?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: July 18, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
A 122b: The math is, in principle, 1800 * caster level * spell level for at will, command word items, or 2000*CL*level for use-activated. A 5 charge/day item costs the same amount, and lesser uses/day cost proportionately less. The relevant information can be found on the SRD, under Creating Magic Items.
   If you don't want to turn to custom magic items, Eternal Wands can hold an arcane spell from 0th to 4th to be used 2/day, with prices varying from a few hundred gold to about 10000 or so. I do not have the book that they are from, so I cannot give you more exact information.
That's not what I'm really looking for. I know all about making magic items, I'm wanting to know how to make THOSE into magic items, or if it's even possible.

Read: If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

"Per level". This is all 1 round, 1 minute, etc, and that's it's. And it's not because the SRD was made before limited duration spells were created because Divine Favor is a core spell.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #437 on: July 18, 2010, 01:46:55 AM »
Again, they're vague guidelines, so handling more specific circumstances would give them more false validity than they already have - no need to cover all the exceptions.

Also, drow house sigils can be used for 1/day spell effect wondrous items.
Planetouched Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #438 on: July 18, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
Q124:  I could have sworn I once saw a feat that granted wing attacks to a winged dragon or dragonblood creature that doesn't normally have them.  Assuming it exists, what feat does this, and where is it?

EDIT: I know Wing Expert has a wing buffet maneuver, but I think this feat granted new natural weapons that did real damage.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:43:27 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:33 AM »
Q 125 The template is in Dungeon Magazine 112, and Crystal Keep, but is there anything that the maurid template can NOT be added to? Like constructs, undead, ghosts, etc.

Maurid Traits: Maximum hit points per hit die.
Immunity to mind-affecting attacks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed in a flash of white energy. A maurid creature reforms with full hit points at a random point somewhere within 500 feet of the Id Core 24 hours later, as long as the Id Core still exists.
Dependent on the Id Core for life. If the Id Core is destroyed, all maurids immediately take 1d6 points of Constitution drain and continue to suffer 1d6 points of Constitution drain each day until they reach 0, at which point they vanish forever in a flash of white energy. If the maurid does not have a Constitution score, it is destroyed the instant the Id Core is destroyed.
Maurids do not breathe, eat, or sleep.