Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218456 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #820 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:26 AM »
I like how the monk is assumed to be able to be a similarly effective tripper to a fighter, similarly consistent with evasion as a rogue, accurate enough to use power attack, and/or tough enough to survive getting close on purpose.  This with 3/4 BAB, a mediocre HD, and too much MAD to heavily invest in Str, Dex, or Con.
This.  If we're still talking 12th level, you will probably have, at most, a Strength score of 22 (including a +4 item).  That's a base modifier of +6, and then you get another +5 from Enlarge Person and a +4 from Improved Trip for +15.  White Dragon is Huge (+8) with a +8 Strength Mod (+8) and has 4 legs (+4).  That's a +20 mod with no magic whatsoever.

Sure, that's just one monster with a CR of 12, and a very strong one at that.  Going through the MM...

Abyssal Greater Basilisk: +15 vs. Trip
Displacer Beast Pack Lord: +20 vs. Trip
11-headed Pyro-/Cryohydra: +18 vs. Trip (same modifier as the Hydras 2 CRs lower)
Kolyarut: +2 vs. Trip (is a caster, however, so tripping him is just going to keep him from running away easily)
Leonal: +8 vs. Trip (but has Polymorph at-will, so could easily transform into something with a significantly higher value here)

As you can see, +15 is really the bare minimum you need to make a tactic semi-viable here at this level of play, and that's the best possible situation for a Monk tripper.  Compare that to a Barbarian:

Strength 35 (18 @ 1st, +3 levels, +6 Item, +6 Greater Rage, +2 Reckless Rage)
Improved Trip for free
Enlarge Person from a potion or friendly Wizard.
= +21

This Barbarian also has better options than the Monk.  He can use the Three-Mountains feat (the Monk is not proficient with any of the required weapons), with Skilled City-Dweller he can use Acrobatic Strike + Combat Reflexes + Vexing Flanker as well, and probably even do it better, and he also has a superior chassis (higher HP, higher BAB, only -1 on Will saves while Raging) and substantially lower MAD (means even higher HP and even higher Attack Rolls, the only drawbacks are lower AC, which doesn't mean much, and a loss in the Will save department that can be made up for if the Barbarian goes with Steadfast Determination instead).

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #821 on: July 25, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
Re-reading Crush, I have to agree, it's actually not horrible.  Even though it uses grapple mechanics later on, initially it doesn't, so even with FoM you're going to be wasting actions to escape if you fail that Reflex save.  In other words, you have to be able to teleport in order to make the Crush action seem wasted (and unless you have unlimited teleportation, it's wasting your teleportation ability).

That said, if the dragon is on it's own and going against a Party, Crush is a really bad idea.  You're spending an action to do minimal damage to one or two targets (they're going to spread out just because of your breath weapon), while the rest of the party is free to beat the crap out of you.

Yeah, as a solo monster tactic, it's generally a poor plan unless there's only one enemy to fight (or they're all bunched up).  But if said dragon is one of many minions, it's a great way to instantly take out one enemy in the fight.  Very handy that Zombie Dragons keep that ability, and it's one of the reasons I'd drop a 9 headed hydra for a zombie White Dragon (other reasons include the great maneuverability and the increased hit dice).

JaronK

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #822 on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
Regardless of whether or not the dragon makes it's reflex save, it can't leave the web without spending a full round to move.
Thanks for agreeing with me. So the Adapt Spends a Standard Action to Web the dragon, them either the Move Action to get into range, or to move away. The Dragon makes his save avoiding being pinned, beats teh Str DC by more than enough to move out of it (there by resuming his normal movement speed) and is now standing next to the Adapt whom without Tumble is looking at an AoO for fleeing, or if he decides to Web him self, suicide.

The dragon's touch AC, WITH cover, is 12.
The Scorching Ray tactic relies on zombies.
Varying Degrees of Cover
In some cases, cover may provide a greater bonus to AC and Reflex saves. In such situations the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves can be doubled (to +8 and +4, respectively). A creature with this improved cover effectively gains improved evasion against any attack to which the Reflex save bonus applies. Furthermore, improved cover provides a +10 bonus on Hide checks.

The Dragon has Cover under the so called Web rules fallacy. And Soft Cover from a zombie moving in for the kill (ordered to attack, it isn't smart enough to sweep to the side). Even if you want to whine like the rules quote above should be ignored, you still have shooting into melee (-4 to attack rolls). The Dragon has around 16 AC, for 50% hit rate, before items against an attack that depends on you hitting up to three times in a row per casting. And not one of those attacks miss why?

The "pokemon" thing, as you called it, is a pretty explicit class feature of the everyone, it's called Diplomacy. But the Adapt gets other people to do everything he can't to cus I like him.
I know.

No, his 1/day DDoor was bashed because it barely does shit. More than the Adapt, but I refuse to acknowledge that.
Yeah.

Saying that you get a other people to do the things you can't speaks measures of your capabilities, and at the very least speaks more to the strength of the Finger Darts feat than the strength of the Adapt.
I know right.

The Adept's effective range is 55', compared to the dragon's 50'.  Therefore, the Adept doesn't have to catch the Dragon, he just has to wait for it to get in range.
Geez, see what I mean? The Dragon whom can rape the Adapt with his melee, stop his spellcasting with his mouth, is going to stand at the maximum range of his breath weapon.

For Pelor's sake, the 200ft/round dragon flies the heck over, breaths cold, and watches you provoke AoOs for moving and maybe even casting, and on such an AoO it bites you, auto grapple you lose no moving. If you stood there like an idiot then it Full Attacks you into sushi. That is the default plan of attack, it's retardedly simple and works on 99% of cases the dragon would know how to face.

Also, it probably Initiative anyway since it has Neverskitter, and since it has Blindsense making you unable to sneak up on it, probably got a surprise round on you to. you actually start your first turn standing next to the damn thing.

Eh, SorO's just arguing for arguing's sake (his own words).  In other words, just trolling.  No sense debating with that.
Why is it that all the Monk supporters are trolling (SorO), just arguing against non existant arguments (Oslo), or, well, whatever Giacomo's doing? 
For the same reason X-Codes over looks everything and you continue to quote Gia on his poor monk.

Troll threads attract trolls?
And yet you're here. :p
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #823 on: July 25, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
Could you please quit editing people's quotes? You typically fail to grasp the actual meaning of the words you change, so when you attempt to illustrate a poster's hypocrisy, it ends up just looking like a really poor-quality strawman. Some kind of straw-midget, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, the route you're going could be both entertaining and effective, but given the amount of stress you're under in meatspace (you've mentioned before that you're not able to get enough sleep and such) and the apparent results you've produced, you really don't seem to be up to the task. If you're going to do this, the key is to change only the particular nouns; if your strategy is valid, you should be able to make your point by doing nothing but swapping Monk and Adept, with occasional changes to the particular item, feat, or other tool you might need to prove that they're equivalent. So you might swap out Animate Dead for Undead Leadership, or something, although I'd find that a pretty unconvincing argument.

Finally, please, please, please. This is not an attack on your actual argument in this paragraph, so don't mistake it for an ad hominem attempt to prove you wrong by nitpicking your spelling. But it's Adept. Not Adapt. That bothers me as much as "Factorum" used to. That doesn't make you wrong, but it makes your posts extremely annoying to read. And frequent errors compound the problem of your quote-editing strategy, because it makes it appear that you're deliberately mangling other posters' grammar in an attempt to make them look stupid.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #824 on: July 25, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
And yet you're here.
So? ???

But it's Adept. Not Adapt. That bothers me as much as "Factorum" used to.
I've seen JaronK also make such mistakes (sometimes). Why won't you correct him as well? :smirk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:08:23 PM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #825 on: July 25, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
I've seen JaronK also make such mistakes (sometimes). Why won't you correct him as well? :smirk

Actually, I used to say "Factorum" until a forum member did indeed correct me.  I checked to make sure he was right, and never made that mistake again.  I don't believe I've ever referred to the Adept as the "Adapt."  But if I do say something wrong, feel free to correct me.

@Bauglir: Straw-midget?  Awesome.  I'll have to remember that one.

JaronK

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #826 on: July 25, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »

My guess is he thinks that SorO goes on w/ "Adapt" deliberately like Sunic continued the legacy of the "Factorum" when he was still here ( :( ) but I may be wrong.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #827 on: July 25, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
Dear JaronK, X-Codes, Halinn, Minxster, Lycanthromancer, and all others still clinging to that imo irrational monk aversion:
While defensive special qualities in the D&D game are usually insurmountable, the corruption cost for the spell represents a direct assault on the physical and mental well-being of the caster, and anyone who casts a corrupt spell has to pay the cost, even if normally immune to ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. The act of casting a corrupt spell makes the caster briefly vulnerable to the corruption cost ofthe spell.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #828 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
Ah, trying the Bush strategy, are we?

Declare victory and move on to the next war, even if you are bogged down in a quagmire.

Bold move. I like it.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #829 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »

Interestingly, the command was NOT "follow me."  It was stay within 30' of me.  There's a difference.  They can wander within that range.  This prevents exactly what you're talking about.  They also do not "look to HIM."  They just do what they're told.  Heck, when the dragon appears, the dominated minions (who can be given intelligent orders like "act as though I'm part of your adventuring party") will attack, triggering the Zombies to attack... making said minions look like the leader.  Heck, if you just follow behind one of your dominated minions, it looks like both you and the zombies are just following him.

This is party of the basic technique of being a minion master.  You don't keep shouting commands.  You exercise just enough control to keep your minions on task, without being the obvious leader.  Don't assume that just because you don't know how to do it no one does.

Monks don't have this route towards minions.  This is an Adept ability.  And yes, if I get a Commoner minion (why not?  Easy to get) I can have him giving the commands for the animals.  Now does the dragon eat the Commoner, by your logic?  Man, that was easy!

You should try playing a minion master sometime.  It's fun to do, and learning not to be the primary target is a big part of it.  You don't seem to think it's possible, but it is, and it's something you should learn to do.

But I notice you've still failed to deliver on proving that your Monk is more survivable than a Zombie, having claimed Zombies die all the time.  Does this mean you admit your Monks can't survive more than a few fights?  Admit this, or prove it wrong.  Or you could do the obvious thing: retract that false statement (that Zombies require significant expense because they die all the time).

JaronK
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:01:29 PM by JaronK »

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #830 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
Aren't zombies already dead? ???
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #831 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »

No, they're undead.  There's a big difference!

But Giacomo made the claim a while ago that it was too expensive to deal with Animate Dead because your undead are so fragile and would die all the time.  This is of course silly... undead are actually very durable, due to having high HPs (especially if you make them right) and tons of immunities, as well as many easy healing options.  But Giacomo stuck with this claim and never retracted it, despite the fact that every Monk we've seen is less durable than any of the undead (except the Carnexes, which are indeed fragile and must be kept safe).

JaronK

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: July 25, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
Dear JaronK, X-Codes, Halinn, Minxster, Lycanthromancer, and all others still clinging to that imo irrational monk aversion:

If more people are carrying on a conversation that has not ended than have moved on, is it not still an ongoing discussion?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #833 on: July 25, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
You don't get it.

War's over because he said so.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
I just want to clear up some sources in case someone are checking.

Azurin (human, incarnate) from MoI which combined with the MoI feats reduces the finger and ability damage of the corrupt spell to 0 (otherwise it would be an unsustainable tactics).
-   the feats night haunt and arcane mastery (from CAfour extra sources beyond core)

- Giacomo

I know it might just be little things, but it bothered me a bit, so i corrected it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:40:34 PM by Lo77o »
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #835 on: July 25, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
Good god, people! Why are you all acting as if Giacomo is wildly flailing about like the Wizard of Oz in order to distract people from the fact that he was a sad little man in a cheap suit?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: July 25, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
Good god, people! Why are you all acting as if Giacomo is wildly flailing about like the Wizard of Oz in order to distract people from the fact that he was a sad little man in a cheap suit?
...Is that a hypothetical question?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #837 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »

No, they're undead.  There's a big difference!

But Giacomo made the claim a while ago that it was too expensive to deal with Animate Dead because your undead are so fragile and would die all the time.  This is of course silly... undead are actually very durable, due to having high HPs (especially if you make them right) and tons of immunities, as well as many easy healing options.  But Giacomo stuck with this claim and never retracted it, despite the fact that every Monk we've seen is less durable than any of the undead (except the Carnexes, which are indeed fragile and must be kept safe).

JaronK
The Carnexes only need to be kept safe for the sake of the current encounter.  The majority of their cost can be re-couped by salvaging the bands from a dead Carnex, so they're ridiculously cheap.

Tleilaxu_Ghola

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Wanted for consipracy to kill Pun-Pun
« Reply #838 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
I like how the monk is assumed to be able to be a similarly effective tripper to a fighter, similarly consistent with evasion as a rogue, accurate enough to use power attack, and/or tough enough to survive getting close on purpose.  This with 3/4 BAB, a mediocre HD, and too much MAD to heavily invest in Str, Dex, or Con.
This.  If we're still talking 12th level, you will probably have, at most, a Strength score of 22 (including a +4 item).  That's a base modifier of +6, and then you get another +5 from Enlarge Person and a +4 from Improved Trip for +15.  White Dragon is Huge (+8) with a +8 Strength Mod (+8) and has 4 legs (+4).  That's a +20 mod with no magic whatsoever.

Sure, that's just one monster with a CR of 12, and a very strong one at that.  Going through the MM...

Abyssal Greater Basilisk: +15 vs. Trip
Displacer Beast Pack Lord: +20 vs. Trip
11-headed Pyro-/Cryohydra: +18 vs. Trip (same modifier as the Hydras 2 CRs lower)
Kolyarut: +2 vs. Trip (is a caster, however, so tripping him is just going to keep him from running away easily)
Leonal: +8 vs. Trip (but has Polymorph at-will, so could easily transform into something with a significantly higher value here)
I implicitly stated that tripping was not something you would use in all circumstances (certainly not when it would be stupid to attempt, such as against a larger creature).  The stated circumstance that I DID provide was against an NPC humanoid, orc to be exact, which you know, one also encounters frequently in D&D.  Tripping is most effective against medium-sized enemy casters as it prevents them from getting away and casting.  Unless you want to get into action boosting tactics and/or swift teleportation yadda yadda.

In any event, then there were some snide comment about how Monks have MAD, as if MAD were intrinsically problematic under all circumstances, and/or a fighter/barbarian could do it better, or mocking the power attack ability of monk with his mere medium BAB.  These comments either failed to read what I wrote and noted about those very subjects or missed the thrust which I have been saying so far, which is (in bullet point form for those too disinterested in reading prose):

• Monks are a capable addition to the party, insofar as they are able to fill the need for a melee based class.
  • Discussions about one on one performance of a monk compared to some other player class are usually misleading because party interactions seem to be forgotten.

If you want to talk numbers, I am more than capable of doing so.  Here, let us look at this level 12 simple monk build:

Race: Human
Build:  Monk 12
Ability Distribution (starting; elite array): STR 15, Dex 14, Wis 13, Con 12, Int 10, Cha 8.  3 Level ups go into strength 3, for a final of STR 18 before buffs.
Magic items: Assume, minimally, +4 to str, +2 to dex, +2 to wis. Monk's belt.  Amulet of Natural weapons +2.
Feats (level in super script): Stunning Fist1, Power Attack1, Improved Unnarmed Strike1, Weapon Focus( Unnarmed Strike )1, Combat Reflexes2, Vexing Flanker3, Delay Potion6, Improved Trip6, Acrobatic Strike9, Improved Initiative12.
Base attack: +9, full attack +9/+9/+9/+4, hasted full attack: +10/+10/+10/+10/+4.
Buffed with flanking bonus, haste, and gear, weapon focus, and ability mods: +21/+21/+21/+21/+16.
Base damage: 2d8+[STR MOD]+2 Enhancement.
Evaluated damage per hit (unnarmed, average): 9+4+2 = 15.

Against a CR 12 opponent (according my Optimization by Numbers thread) AC ranges from an average of 21.8 to a max of 28.  HP ranges from 196 to 300 (avg to max).  The following assumes we flank the target:

This means the acrobatic strike has 95% chance of success against a maximum AC opponent of CR 12.  Against the same opponent the full attack has a 70% chance to hit on the first four and a 45% chance on the the fifth hit.  A full attack deals a probabilistically weighted damage against a maximum AC opponent of 48.75 damage.  Against average AC opponents it is prudent to use power attack on an acrobatic strike for a penalty of at least 6 to attack (giving +12 damage with a masterwork greatsword), yielding [2d6+12+4 = 23] damage at a +19 to attack (90% success).  A full attack on an average AC'd opponent deals a probabilistically weighted damage of 69.

Summary:

1. Against an equal CR opponent of average AC, the monk can deal 69 probabilistically weighted points of damage per round if allowed to full attack, which is 35% of the monster's health.  This assumes flanking, but not tripping bonuses.  The former being fairly simple to accomplish thanks to 15 ranks in tumble.
2. Against the same equal CR opponent of Average AC the monk can deal 10.5% of the opponent's health in damage (weighted).
3. Against an equal CR opponent of maximum AC, the monk deals 24.8% of it's health in weighted damage on a full attack.  The monk can hit such an opponent and deal ~5% of it's total health in weighted damage without a full attack.

%health figures above assume average health of 196 HP.

Conclusions:

1. The basic monk build above is not, by measures of "optimization", something to write home about.  However, it does decently well against average opponents assuming you manage to get a full attack in.  With a base AC of [10+3+2+2 = 17], he will likely need to use potions or budget more defense items to be secure against the average BAB of +17.
2. A similarly equipped fighter, by virtue of its base attack alone, has a 15% better chance to hit (where applicable; you can't go over 95%).  In the case of average AC, this bonus is not relevant.  Power attack can convert some of that excess attack bonus into damage, of course, at the assumed rate of 2:1.  (Higher rates usually require charging and aren't entirely relevant for discussing full attacks.  Charges have their own set of limitations.  If you want to talk about pouncing builds... well, you aren't doing that with a straight fighter to my knowledge.  If you want to talk about pouncing barbarians, well, then we can all just go ahead and dip barbarian 1 level for that...  Just like my monk could easily benefit from a fighter dip without much harm).

Verdict:

Underwhelming?  Yeah... I mean, I rarely consider pure class builds in the first place.  If you allow me to construct a "mostly monk" build, I guarantee these numbers will improve dramatically.  I don't think, however, that the monk can be considered completely worthless.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I forgot to add in the +4 to STR bonus from a magic item on all of those numbers.  Well, there you go, give this guy a bull's strength and I'd say he's got an even greater probability of hitting things and dealing damage.  +10% probability to be exact and about +7 more damage (weighted) on a full attack.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:39:14 PM by Tleilaxu_Ghola »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #839 on: July 25, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Where does the greatsword come in?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."