Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218177 times)

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
Also, it's funny to see you're so outraged by the expert's skill selection while you conveniently leave out Giacomo's Skill Prodigy monk that sinks most of his points into Int and ignores Monk class features in an attempt to emulate an Expert.
Did he? (I'm assuming your talking about Twilightwyrm)

He did as far as I can tell. He criticised the verisimilitude of an expert with Handle Animal, Diplomacy and UMD but not a word about the verisimilitude of Giacomo's skill-monkey.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
Maybe it's because his talking about the AdeptExpert and not about the Monk? It's totally his right to look only at the Expert and not concern himself with the Monk.
Did he say that the Monk build is okay in his eyes? If yes, then your right, if not then your accusations are not justified.
Giacomo's skill-monkey.
Is that really necessary? :rollseyes
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »
Maybe it's because his talking about the AdeptExpert and not about the Monk? It's totally his right to look only at the Expert and not concern himself with the Monk.
Did he say that the Monk build is okay in his eyes? If yes, then your right, if not then your accusations are not justified.

Well, Twilightwyrm is trying to use the fact that an expert with the aforementioned skills is hard to justify from a RP point of view as an argument in favor of the Monk/against the expert, although the 'high int Skill Prodigy ignore most class features' (I'll use that since you don't like the term skill-monkey) monk is equally hard to justify from a RP point of view. So I feel that's worth pointing out.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #403 on: July 05, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
Well, his argument is rubbish, IMO, because if the adventuring Expert with this skills isn't plausible RP-wise, then no skill-based class can be.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:06:49 AM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #404 on: July 05, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
This whole thing seems just needlessly drawn out.

Does anyone think the monk is better than the expert mechanically?
Or are people trying to convince Giacomo? Rampant Devil's Advocacy, maybe?
Are you people out of optimization?
Its one thig to see and endless fighter vs wizard debate, but its odd to get on
everday and see 22 pages of Monk vs Adept. . . W..t...f...?  :lol
Damn. Is the D&D dying?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #405 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
Why are we arguing about the expert here anyway?

Use Magic Device is a good skill for anyone to have, in the case they come across an opposed-alignment item that will kill them for not being Chaotic or whatnot. (Considering the strategy of the wight-desiring necromancer of handing out +1 unholy arrows to the population like candy detailed in a certain Necromancer's Handbook.) Witness this happen once ... and you may be inclined to take measures to prevent it. Just a little note here for those with spare INT or CHA.

I've played an Expert before ... but they were first level and going into Rogue so they weren't this Charisma-based thing ...  :p I was more competent than the Adept in our party, but he was not an example of a competent Adept.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #406 on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »
Since Monks are billed as a combat class, we expect them to fight well at the very least (which they have terrible problems doing).
For Experts, well, they can handle their area of expertise (which they can pick from among the various skill areas).  And we expect when talking about PC Experts that they're going to pick useful adventuring skills (Diplomacy, UMD, Iaijutsu Focus, Handle Animal, Lucid Dreaming, etc), since we're not talking about the random guys about town.
And right there explains your measuring stick. You expect to Monk to beat the crap out of monsters, and the Expert to blow goat droppings. When Gia can't deliver an Unarmed Swordsage you bitch about how he can't take on super undead and your favorite CRX monsters. Then claim that the Expert is awesome, not because he can beat those mobs, but because as a dirt poor loser he an uncomparable godsend because he kept throwing gold at encounters (UMD/trained pets) until he has an advantage in it.

Gia's side is. Well hell idk. Monks are super awesome maybe. If he really is JaronK though, I think there is some psychotic issues to resolve and the point here is showcasing them.

To me, this has been more of a simple math.
1 Feat = Can replicate Expert's claim on throwing gold at encounters, Monk gets 3 bonus feats. Therefor Monk is better.
Everything else is whining and ignoring while I'm picking though to find little nuggets of useful information. Like the Blink thing, that's pretty cool. The Total Concealment thing, damn thats awesome.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #407 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
1 Feat = Can replicate Expert's claim on throwing gold at encounters, Monk gets 3 bonus feats.
3 shitty feats that really don't count because the monk can't use them and the adept or expert would not ever buy any way.

Stop talking about the expert in the adept vs. monk thread. There is another thread for that. It is called "Expert vs. Monk Challenge!".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:36:08 PM by Saxony »
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #408 on: July 05, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
And right there explains your measuring stick. You expect to Monk to beat the crap out of monsters, and the Expert to blow goat droppings.

Um, no.  I expect an Expert to defeat encounters with his class abilities, and I expect a Monk to defeat encounters with his class abilities.  I find it interesting that you consider world domination via dreams (I did say Lucid Dreaming + Diplomacy) to be blowing goat droppings, but fighting an even CR'd opponent without dying is somehow inappropriately hard.

When Gia can't deliver an Unarmed Swordsage you bitch about how he can't take on super undead and your favorite CRX monsters.

No, I "bitch about how" Giacomo stated that Animate Dead creatures would die constantly, and yet his Monks are all far weaker and more fragile at an equivalent level... and yet he considers his Monks to be competent.  And I "bitch about how" the Monk's combat abilities can be completely outshown by two or three castings of a spell (cast during downtime some day) and about 1200gp in supplies, and yet some folks seem to think that Monks are still as strong as a class that can just cast that spell (in addition to everything else they can cast).  I know full well he can't deliver an Unarmed Swordsage... I just hate the hypocrisy.

Then claim that the Expert is awesome, not because he can beat those mobs, but because as a dirt poor loser he an uncomparable godsend because he kept throwing gold at encounters (UMD/trained pets) until he has an advantage in it.

Perhaps you've failed to notice the fact that in my first build I didn't actually use UMD (I had it as a class skill just in case, but that's it), and only bought a single 400gpish creature.  Furthermore, perhaps you've failed to notice that I claimed only that the Expert was equivalent to the Monk in rough power level, while Giacomo claimed Monks are far more awesome.  Perhaps you've also failed to notice that the Expert I made killed not through magic items or pets, but through his archery skills, feats, and Iaijutsu Focus (while the second Expert I made had Vow of Poverty).  So, actually your entire argument is completely false, mostly due to the fact that yet again you failed to actually read before posting.

Perhaps you've simply failed.

Gia's side is. Well hell idk. Monks are super awesome maybe.

His side is that Monks can throw lots of gold at encounters via partially charged wands and cross class UMD, and that Monks are better than Experts because they can survive well by tanking their Wis and Str and pumping Int and Cha, but that animate dead creatures with over twice the hitpoints and far more immunities will die constantly.

You have, as usual, reversed all the arguments and gotten confused.  You accused the side putting out VoP folks and building characters dramatically under WBL of throwing gold at encounters, instead of the side that believes partially charged wands are everything.  You've decided that world domination is blowing goat droppings but fighting monsters is unfairly hard.  Try again.  Go back and read over the whole thread until you're caught up.

And then maybe you'll notice this is the Adept vs Monk thread, so this really should be about "super undead" (read: stuff any decent caster can make with Animate Dead) and other caster tricks that an Adept can pull off vs what Monks do (which, evidently, is throw gold at encounters and max Int).

JaronK

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #409 on: July 05, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
Since Monks are billed as a combat class, we expect them to fight well at the very least (which they have terrible problems doing).
For Experts, well, they can handle their area of expertise (which they can pick from among the various skill areas).  And we expect when talking about PC Experts that they're going to pick useful adventuring skills (Diplomacy, UMD, Iaijutsu Focus, Handle Animal, Lucid Dreaming, etc), since we're not talking about the random guys about town.
And right there explains your measuring stick. You expect to Monk to beat the crap out of monsters, and the Expert to blow goat droppings. When Gia can't deliver an Unarmed Swordsage you bitch about how he can't take on super undead and your favorite CRX monsters. Then claim that the Expert is awesome, not because he can beat those mobs, but because as a dirt poor loser he an uncomparable godsend because he kept throwing gold at encounters (UMD/trained pets) until he has an advantage in it.

Gia's side is. Well hell idk. Monks are super awesome maybe. If he really is JaronK though, I think there is some psychotic issues to resolve and the point here is showcasing them.

To me, this has been more of a simple math.
1 Feat = Can replicate Expert's claim on throwing gold at encounters, Monk gets 3 bonus feats. Therefor Monk is better.
Everything else is whining and ignoring while I'm picking though to find little nuggets of useful information. Like the Blink thing, that's pretty cool. The Total Concealment thing, damn thats awesome.
Furthermore, there's been no double standard, no setting up Monks to fail.  In fact, the Monks have been given amazing leniency.  Consider the fact that Giacomo was running around claiming that he could make these high Int Monks that were skillmonkeys and claiming they were solid... while at the same time claiming that undead creatures with over twice the hitpoints and far more immunities were liabilities that would die constantly.  That's your double standard.
The scenarios we've asked Monks to prove themselves in are the most basic, standard, and common of D&D scenarios.   Since Monks are billed as a combat class, we expect them to fight well at the very least (which they have terrible problems doing) and by Giacomo's own claims, they can't even do that (let's face it, he thinks the sort of undead you get via Animate Dead die all the time... and yet his Monks have all been far less survivable).

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #410 on: July 05, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
You were comparing my 7th level monk build to an animated skeleton storm giant, a CR 13 monster whose corpse miraculously was available to a level 12 adept, resulting in a CR 9 monster.

No, I compared what I assumed was a leveled up to 12 version of your 7th level Monk to the sort of stuff an Adept might raise, including Storm Giants, Hydras, and even the stuff I found via a random encounter generator (which would have resulted in, at caster level 12, 2 9 headed 18HD Zombie Hydras along with three Necrosis Carnexes).  No miracles here... actual random generation.  Do try and keep that straight.  

And yes, your Monk, even at level 12, was far more fragile than 2 9 headed 18HD Zombie Hydras with a set of Necrosis Carnexes backing them up.  Since you said random animate dead critters were so fragile they'd die constantly, and since those creatures are far more durable than your Monk (even at level 12), your own logic dictates your Monk would die constantly.

Nobody I know of compares classes this way.

Including me.  That's your strawman, as usual.  

I outlined above what a level 12 monk I moderately optimised recently for comparison with a psychic warrior (link see my last post in this thread) will do to such a (for a level 12 character!) puny monster. But to take a level 7 monk focused on skills with 22 pt buy and demand he should take on by himself this CR9 monster?

Twilightwyrm

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #411 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
A guy that makes a living by taming wild animals and selling them but dreams to become a wizard?

He knows how to tame animals (Handle Animal), he knows how to talk people into buying his stuff (social skills) and in his free time he studies how to become a wizard, so he learns how to cast spells off scrolls and wands(UMD).

Also, it's funny to see you're so outraged by the expert's skill selection while you conveniently leave out Giacomo's Skill Prodigy monk that sinks most of his points into Int and ignores Monk class features in an attempt to emulate an Expert.

See, this I might actually buy. (And what I was searching for with my initial question)

Incidentally, it has come to my attention that the person I was originally defending is not, in fact, Giacomo. Given this, why you keep assuming I am arguing all of the same arguments is...interesting to me. He may very well have some very good ones. He may very well have some crap ones. Given I am not intimately familiar with his arguments, however, I've not been arguing for them (this includes the Skill Monk). So...why the conflation?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:08:08 PM by Twilightwyrm »
"If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace."
-The Epic of Gilgamesh

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #412 on: July 05, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
1 Feat = Can replicate Expert's claim on throwing gold at encounters, Monk gets 3 bonus feats.
3 shitty feats that really don't count because the monk can't use them and the adept or expert would not ever buy any way.

Why can't the monk use them?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #413 on: July 05, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »

Why can't the monk use them?

He meant "use them as efficiently as other classes".

and that Monks are better than Experts because they can survive well by tanking their Wis and Str and pumping Int and Cha

Now, you see, this is why I call the Giacomo here a fake. The original had several defining traits that never changed, no matter how much we argued it:

• He believed that Core-only was balanced.
  • He believed that Monks were SAD because they could pump Wis and never worry about needing Con for HP, since his AC could get "so high".

The Giacomo here has violated these traits in such a way that does not follow the "logic" the original used. I am convinced that it is not him.

If I can get four other people to back me up on that assumption, I'd like to put an end to this whole problem.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Twilightwyrm

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #414 on: July 05, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
Well, his argument is rubbish, IMO, because if the adventuring Expert with this skills isn't plausible RP-wise, then no skill-based class can be.

Okay I'm interested: How so?
"If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace."
-The Epic of Gilgamesh

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #415 on: July 05, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

No, I compared what I assumed was a leveled up to 12 version of your 7th level Monk to the sort of stuff an Adept might raise, including Storm Giants, Hydras, and even the stuff I found via a random encounter generator (which would have resulted in, at caster level 12, 2 9 headed 18HD Zombie Hydras along with three Necrosis Carnexes).  No miracles here... actual random generation.  Do try and keep that straight.  

Wow, and all of a sudden two 18 HD Zombie Hydras turn up - zombies which we already clarified CANNOT use the hydras ability to move and still attack (so are always limited to 1 attack/round), since that is neither part of the monster statistics, nor the special abilities (it is the text between, remember?).

And you should really read aloud to yourself what you write here: you "compared what you assumed was a leveled up top 12 version of my 7th level Monk"! Incredible.
So, instead of comparing a 7th level monk I posted to the CR 9 storm giant skeleton, you compared it to a build that DOES NOT EVEN EXIST - which you just made up in your mind and which you thought I'd probably come up with. I did not believe you would surpass your previous level of double-standards, but comparing a CR 9 monster to a 12th level fictional monk build that I never did beats it all.

- Giacomo
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:18:47 PM by Sir Giacomo »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #416 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
In addition, Sinfire, the "Giacomo" here is notably ruder than the one on GitP... though I suppose one could attribute that to the fact that GitP boards were more tightly moderated. Which, I suppose, would imply that if the "Giacomo" here was the real deal, he was a jerk from the beginning.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #417 on: July 05, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »
The Giacomo here has violated these traits in such a way that does not follow the "logic" the original used. I am convinced that it is not him.

If I can get four other people to back me up on that assumption, I'd like to put an end to this whole problem.
I think you have more than 4 people because it isn't an assumption. It's quite obviously a fact *adjusts monocle* :sherlock .

Good to know you're with the rest of us now?

If you really wanted to know, yeah, you've got my axe on this one. 1/4 people acquired, Sinfire.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #418 on: July 05, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
and that Monks are better than Experts because they can survive well by tanking their Wis and Str and pumping Int and Cha

Now, you see, this is why I call the Giacomo here a fake. The original had several defining traits that never changed, no matter how much we argued it:

• He believed that Core-only was balanced.
  • He believed that Monks were SAD because they could pump Wis and never worry about needing Con for HP, since his AC could get "so high".

Well, he took Carmendine Monk to get his AC up, so he's still trying that trick.  But I figured it was possible he just matured enough to figure out that core only isn't balanced.  And he's still showing a blatant lack of understanding of the value of HP, considering he's claiming that 18-20HD zombies with 10.5 HP/HD are fragile and die often but that his Monks with their moderate Con and 12 HD (at the same level) are total survivable.

Plus, he's still got the "if I fake it poorly, that's equivalent to doing it well" mentality.  Just as he used to argue that having cross class UMD was about as good as actually just being a spellcaster, he's now trying to claim that spending Skill Prodigy and Carmendine Monk to get some of the skills of an Expert is as good as just being an Expert.  That lack of understanding of things like opportunity cost is pretty standard.  Plus you've got the constant goalpost shifting and the gleeful claims of victory even when his arguments make no sense...

So yeah, I think it's the same guy.

Quote from: Giacomo
Wow, and all of a sudden two 18 HD Zombie Hydras turn up - zombies which we already clarified CANNOT use the hydras ability to move and still attack (so are always limited to 1 attack/round), since that is neither part of the monster statistics, nor the special abilities (it is the text between, remember?).

No, YOU claimed they couldn't do it, but they can.  A standard attack action for a Hydra is attacking with all their heads.  This is not a special ability, it's just what their attack is.  The Zombie rules say they can only make a single attack action:  "Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round."  Such an action with a Hydra is 9 attacks.  That's just what the rules are, and if you'd like to claim otherwise you'll have to prove otherwise with rules (just looking at the Hydra entry in the SRD and the Zombie entry in the SRD yields 9 attacks as a single attack action, which is what Zombies do).  As for moving and still attacking, Zombie Hydras can charge and attack (as normal per the Zombie rules, though note they only move their speed when doing so).

Though note these Zombies are no tougher than any other 9HD critter turned into a zombie via Animate Dead, so this is irrelevant, it just shows they're solid attackers.

And you should really read aloud to yourself what you write here: you "compared what you assumed was a leveled up top 12 version of my 7th level Monk"! Incredible.

I see no way for your level 7 Monk to get up to anywhere near the durability of these creatures, following the build techniques you were using.  Would you like to try to prove otherwise?

So, instead of comparing a 7th level monk I posted to the CR 9 storm giant skeleton, you compared it to a build that DOES NOT EVEN EXIST - which you just made up in your mind and which you thought I'd probably come up with. I did not believe you would surpass your previous level of double-standards, but comparing a CR 9 monster to a 12th level fictional monk build that I never did beats it all.

I simply followed the pattern you were already doing.  Same race, same stats, add some wealth and 5 Monk levels.  That's not exactly difficult.  Even if you put all your wealth into defense (making yourself a worthless turtle) I don't think you could do it.  But feel free to try to prove me wrong.  Extend your level 7 Monk 5 levels and show how durable he is.  Don't forget, even at level 12 your Monk will have only 2/3 the HD, and at would need a con of 22 just to have the same HP/HD as the 9HD zombie (which would be enough to have 2/3 the HP, roughly).  And don't forget the immunities and automated healing effects.

If you'd like this to be easier, we can just say it's a level 8 Adept with an Orange Ioun Stone or some other single caster level boost (Bead of Kharma, perhaps?) that controls the Hydras.  Then you can compare your Monk at level 8 to it and it'll be pretty close. Would that be better?  Because yes, an Adept could pull this off by level 8.

JaronK
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:31:21 PM by JaronK »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
I find your number of people needed arbitrary and I really don't see the problem. I really don't care about taking sides about the debate of Sir Giacomo's identity, but bear in mind that people can change and his true identity doesn't actually matter. He is allowed to keep arguing here as long as he does it in a civilised manner and so far I haven't seen him miss many steps on that path.

Handy Links