Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160369 times)

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
Q 65: A sadistic necromancer casts blackfire into a crowded room. If you start a round in contact with more than one burning person, do you need to make multiple reflex saves or just one?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
Q 64: there is a 9 level abjuration spell that automatically stops a number of incoming enemy spells. Does that include dispel magic or will the defense be dispelled as normal ( I probably lack some basic knowledge here)
Is this that Effulgent Something or other spell that absorbs targeted spells?  If so, it will definitely stop a targeted dispel magic.  An area dispel might still get through though.

Effulgent Epuration (Spell Compendium)

A 65: most likely, until they catch it, then they have it and need no more Reflex saves, but have to make Fort saves

braininthejar

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
Q 66. EDIT: I see there have been some disagreements on this one. How does shivering touch actually work? (depending on the interpretation it could be anything between useful and ridiculously overpowered)

The "weakest" interpretation claims that the effect only lasts as long as the spell, which makes it penalty and not damage. It thus caps at 1 and can't make the target helpless.

The "strongest" interpretation claims that damage is actual ability damage and the spell duration allows the caster to touch multiple people.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:38:40 PM by braininthejar »

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »
Q What spells or cheap magic items are there that enable you to move over rough terrain at full movement?

I'm catching up with this thread, but I saw no answer to this question in the first few pages.  As far as I'm concerned the answer is Air Walk from the PHB.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:59:36 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Bard

« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
Q 66. EDIT: I see there have been some disagreements on this one. How does shivering touch actually work? (depending on the interpretation it could be anything between useful and ridiculously overpowered)

The "weakest" interpretation claims that the effect only lasts as long as the spell, which makes it penalty and not damage. It thus caps at 1 and can't make the target helpless.

The "strongest" interpretation claims that damage is actual ability damage and the spell duration allows the caster to touch multiple people.
It's quite a badly worded spell.. either duration or range+target or the word "damage" are wrong, but as it stands the word damage is there, so it DOES ability damage. I think that if there is no errors in there, the duration might suggest that the ability damage rules are overriden in this specific case and the damage only lasts 1/round levels, maybe as a (useless) drawback.  I'm also sure that due to the really bad wording a lot of people might have different interpretation of it (especially if they try to "fix" the text), at the end of the day it all depends by the DM, but making it a 3d6 Dex penality (capping at 1) might make it a decent spell for the level.
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
Q67: Where is it written that the classes are balanced? We know that they should be, but is it even straight out said that they are?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
Q67: Where is it written that the classes are balanced? We know that they should be, but is it even straight out said that they are?

Only in Pathfinder.

And they are lying.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »

Only in Pathfinder.
Can I find it in PFSRD?
And they are lying.
Who isn't.
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »

Only in Pathfinder.
Can I find it in PFSRD?
And they are lying.
Who isn't.

'Fraid not. There are multiple sidebars on their core rulebook stating they have made the classes balanced and how, though.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bard

« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »
Q68: Can I use two +1 Aptitude weapons (or a +1 Aptitude weapon and a +1 Aptitude Spiked Shield) to activate feats like Three Mountains, High Sword Low Axe, Lightening Mace, etc?

Edit: Q69: One handed weapon that threatens more than 5ft?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
Edit: Q69: One handed weapon that threatens more than 5ft?
A 69

The spinning sword, from Secrets of Sarlona, is one-handed and has 10 ft. of reach, plus can still attack adjacent targets like a spiked chain. Alternatively, the kusari-gama, from the DMG in the section about different campaign worlds, is light and has reach.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Q70: Could someone please point me out various things that could be useful for a Gish w/ great mobility? I'm having some issues thinkering up something w/o having some Kobold Swiftblade in the mix for some reasons...
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »
Q71: You're a lesser Duergar.  Wat do?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »
Q72

Anybody got a link to a copy of the Metamagic Compilation and Review or similar guide? The Wayback Machine has proven unhelpful, but people around here have managed to conjure results from it that I could not before. Original link is http://community.wizards.com/forumhandler?t=738345
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2011, 02:06:29 AM »
Q What spells or cheap magic items are there that enable you to move over rough terrain at full movement?

I'm catching up with this thread, but I saw no answer to this question in the first few pages.  As far as I'm concerned the answer is Air Walk from the PHB.

Vanguard Treads from magic item compendium cost ~4k and give full movement over rough terrain.

Step Of The Wind, is a 1st level Shadow Hand stance that allows full movement over rough terrain.

Q73:  What ways are there to iterate power armour or flying mechs with human pilots in DnD other than that web article with the steampunk powered armour?  Specifically, i'm thinking golems with interior spaces or something?  I'm well able to personally scale up the power armour into mecha, but I was just wondering if there was any stuff that already did this.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »
Step of the Wind is Setting Sun, not Shadow Hand.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:22 AM »
Mah bad.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
Q74: How often can a Mindflayer use its mindblast? At-will?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »
Q74: How often can a Mindflayer use its mindblast? At-will?
Once every 1d4 rounds.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »
Q73:  What ways are there to iterate power armour or flying mechs with human pilots in DnD other than that web article with the steampunk powered armour?  Specifically, i'm thinking golems with interior spaces or something?  I'm well able to personally scale up the power armour into mecha, but I was just wondering if there was any stuff that already did this.

Haunt Shift from Libris Mortis can let undead creatures haunt and animate objects up to huge size.  Building a heavy duty object in the shape of a mech with interior spaces could work quite well.

JaronK