Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218372 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
Wait... the Pope is on Twitter? how many followers does he have?

So many jokes, and all of them are blasphemy.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
I was, personally, never enamored with the idea of nonintelligent undead as cheap labor.  They can't make craft or profession checks because those are trained only skills, and skeletons and zombies just don't have skill points.  As such, they work at the much less useful rate of 1 sp a day, which won't even pay off the cost of raising them from the dead for almost a year (and that's even assuming that they're 1 HD creatures, good for nothing else).  What's more, this is simple manual labor.  There is nothing produced by their efforts.

As such, Undead can, at best, play a role in an economy, but they can't spark anything like the industrial revolution.
The words "Perpetual motion" come to mind.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
The payoff is a long time though, and theres wear and tear on unliving bodies.

I figure mindless undead labor is best at totally unskilled labor, heavy hauling , towing wagons or propelling ships and boats etc. For skilled labor maybe a ghost would be better.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
The payoff is a long time though, and theres wear and tear on unliving bodies
Are there any actual mechanics for the long term degradation of undead bodies?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
Considering a single casting of Black Sand can keep a number of them healed indefinitely, I'd say decay isn't an issue.

JaronK

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
The payoff is a long time though, and theres wear and tear on unliving bodies
Are there any actual mechanics for the long term degradation of undead bodies?

Yes.
You have to press Start on the video of Twilight over and over.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
So it's settled. Adepts have both combat capabilities and mundane utility.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
The payoff is a long time though, and theres wear and tear on unliving bodies.

I figure mindless undead labor is best at totally unskilled labor, heavy hauling , towing wagons or propelling ships and boats etc. For skilled labor maybe a ghost would be better.
Ox skeletons would be great if you tossed a couple in some electricity- lightning-generating wheels. They can also grind corn and such, and you don't even need a river for the water wheel grindstone anymore!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
Yeah, if it comes to inputting low level but constant amounts of work, undead are great. Replacing a living workforce requires more sentient corpses.
A large array of skeleton powered hamster wheels powering an entire city's worth of cogworks...
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
I may be misunderstanding the term, but was not the point of the industrial revolution that we could start to build machines powered by fuel and not rely on manual labor for our every need?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
First:
Quote from: SRD
Untrained laborers and assistants earn an average of 1 silver piece per day.
Stop ignoring un-helpful rules.

Also, Craft can't create raw materials.  You need the Profession skill to do that, and the Profession skill is trained only.

Finally, Intelligence-based skill checks are a subset of Intelligence checks.  Therefore, Skeletons automatically fail Craft checks, including checks to Aid Another using the craft skill.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
I don't think anyone is using skeletons here for manufacturing?
I mean, sheer manual labor that doesn't create anything is Profession no?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
I am not suggesting that we use skeletons to make baskets, I'm saying we use skeletons to power a machine that makes baskets.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
To be fair monks are better at basketweaving than skeletons. We need to do something with all the unemployed monks since the zombies hydras and skeleton giants took their jobs in combat.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
I'll make a John Henry out of any monk that tries to compete with the forces of mechanization.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:11:59 PM by Solo »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
Finally, Intelligence-based skill checks are a subset of Intelligence checks.  Therefore, Skeletons automatically fail Craft checks, including checks to Aid Another using the craft skill.
Not true, unfortunately.  Otherwise, things like the Motivate Intelligence aura wouldn't say "Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks".  Ability checks are seperate from skill checks.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
Not true, unfortunately.  Otherwise, things like the Motivate Intelligence aura wouldn't say "Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks".  Ability checks are seperate from skill checks.
Interpreting it the other way gives you just as much nonsense, though.  Mindless creatures can make DC 10 Knowledge checks and basically have perfect common sense.  Even if you're cool with that, there's still the "Untrained workers make 1 sp a day" bit.

I am not suggesting that we use skeletons to make baskets, I'm saying we use skeletons to power a machine that makes baskets.
In that case, the machine is a tool being used by the skeletons.  Aside from doing stuff like trapping a Thoqqua inside an Iron Golem, there's no rules in the game for powering machinery using creatures.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:28 AM »
Can a skeleton be instructed to pull a lever under some set of circumstances? "Programmed instructions" points to "Yes".
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #298 on: June 30, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »
Interpreting it the other way gives you just as much nonsense, though.  Mindless creatures can make DC 10 Knowledge checks and basically have perfect common sense.  Even if you're cool with that, there's still the "Untrained workers make 1 sp a day" bit.

Quote from: Knowledge, SRD
Untrained
An untrained Knowledge check is simply an Intelligence check. Without actual training, you know only common knowledge (DC 10 or lower).

So no, mindless creatures can't succeed at Knowledge checks ever because they have no skill points or feats (thus can't use them as they're Trained only skills) and it defaults to an Int check, which mindless creatures auto-fail.

And what is this constant deal with the salary of workers?  I can't figure out why you keep bringing it up.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #299 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »
Hell if I know, the uses of undead labor is mainly to eliminate the need for unskilled labor. So any task that requires no judgement or decision ability is saved. Transportation costs are greatly reduced, overland shipping times go down, etc. You could program one to clean the streets, quarry stone, etc etc, but  when used to power manufactories, they're just the mechanism to reset a non-magical crafting trap.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]