Author Topic: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin  (Read 218381 times)

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Adept vs monk: the final nail in the coffin
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
^Arguably you can go Carmendine Monk/Kung Fu Genius to switch Wis for Int, which will result in more skill points, but there goes one feat from your already limited pool of feats. Sooo, yeah.

Tashalatora makes up for good monks, but those are not monks anymore, eh. /swt
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
Why would he lose initiative in the 60 ft. apart example?
He might not, but what is he going to do?  Charge?  An expert can take 1d6+2.  Seriously, Monks do shit for damage.
The words "Charge" and negative expressed "damage" NEVER go together. In fact, a Monk is a better uber charger than anyone else.

@Summerstorm and you highlight why the Expert thread is pure fail. It's pretending Expert vs Monk, but all it really is about Iaiajitsu, UMD, and PSD is more effective than the Monk's single X trait. Personally, if I could lose one skill point per level in exchange for +6 to Fort/Relf, I'd do it with every single character I've ever made and you haven't even started talking about class features or how many skill points I can trade in. If you asked me if Iaijitsu Strike was better than Unarmed Damage, I'd ask if you were high. When told "throwing gold at a challenge means you win", the only thing the Adapt is capable of, then by default anything with a level is made of win and their argument collapses into it's self. Take for instance the monk's 3 feats. Trolls say the list sucks and blammo supposedly they have no value. But having a whole 10 points in UMD by level 20 over the Monk when DCs cap at 30 is massively relevant, it's so relevant that you need to take Handle Animal and train a pet for it to win your fights for you.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
@ SorO+Summer:  Pretty much the same way I feel.  Only a terrible DM would allow such shenanigans to pass off in their game, and in that case, no PC of ANY class is going to have a problem doing anything because it seems like everything is tailor made for them to succeed.  Sounds like a boring campaign to me.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
@ SorO+Summer:  Pretty much the same way I feel.  Only a terrible DM would allow such shenanigans to pass off in their game, and in that case, no PC of ANY class is going to have a problem doing anything because it seems like everything is tailor made for them to succeed.  Sounds like a boring campaign to me.

*sigh*
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
In all fairness, it's not just the Monk who gets outshone by the Adept. 

JaronK

Truth but some people need to be educated.....but then again there are some people who will completely ignore facts and logical reasoning.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
And much, much more. And seriously... i see the monk win in MOST, but of course not all challenges. Anything outside their classes is pretty much limited free for all anyway, so we can and should only rate in-class abilities. Expert DOES have obscure skills - and more skillpoints, (but seriously... wrestling a monk in his dreams? That is insanely circumstancial) and the Adepts has a few low-level spells. NO way that catapults him on the scale ahead, and if the monks abilities are weakish. (Yeah the freefall ability should provide movements in higher levels - spiderclimb, gliding - and yeah his self-healing should be a tick better... and yeah Abundent Step and Quivering hands should be usable more often, and he should have a DR/Chaotic growing through the levels... but STILL: Evasion, broad saves, immunities, ground mobility, combat feats... it is not THAT bad)

Yeah, in a straight on one on one fight with little to no preparation the monk has a decent chance. But if you start thinking about doing something that contributes to the party. Monk doesn't do much. Adept and expert does.

And it's not to say that the monk can't have a niche, Wild Monk gets a niche as a decent damage dealer and a party scout. But the core monks niche extremely narrow, since all he does really well is survive, and due to his low HD he isn't actually too good at that. Yeah sure, he's probably better than the expert and the adept at surviving, but his other talents are just not that good.
An Adept and an expert can function as low tier casters and scouts. But the monk just doesn't function that well.

Therefore in a Tier 4 & 5 Party, adepts and expert contribute, while experts are probably just worse than the rogue at what they do. They can still add something to a Tier 5 party. The monk, while more powerful all-round, is not adding anything to the party.

If we are accepting the wild monk/martial monk, I totally agree that he can probably outshine the adept & totally outshine the expert. If not, all his got are better defense and perhaps a slightly better damage output. Still nothing compared to the versatility of the expert and the spells of the adept.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
The issue with the wild monk is that it's a reflection of how good wildshape is, not how good the monk and its class features are. Wildshape pretty much bumps up any class up a tier, look at the wildshape ranger for example.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
But I probably wouldn't argue about it for pages on end
amen

Because if this is meant as a joke, it's not even that funny. And if not, I hate you all.
Huh?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

Well, since the expert's only class feature is getting to pick class skills it's unsurprising that expert optimization will involve skill optimization. Expert is a skill monkey per definition, and it's pretty good at that.
Adept has polymorph, and that alone is worth more than the entire monk class, especially when coupled with familiar and share spells. Barring that, it's a decent support caster, has some battlefield control (about 1 good spell at every level), and can heal.
The monk however, is pretty terrible at everything the class tries to do(mobile melee combatant).

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
But I probably wouldn't argue about it for pages on end
amen

Oooh, this is like those naked women posters on 4chan where you comment on the background right?
Because if this is meant as a joke, it's not even that funny. And if not, I hate you all.
Huh?
Yeah idk if I meant it as a poor joke akin to this thread or if I really would hate you all. It does help to have that first line in there, other wise when I mentioned the dislike towards those posters-in-a-poster things that continue the terrabad joke you won't get it at all. Really though, as four years ago bitching about the Monk was old news, and as of yesterday I realized the Barbarian committed suicide prior to that.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
The issue with the wild monk is that it's a reflection of how good wildshape is, not how good the monk and its class features are. Wildshape pretty much bumps up any class up a tier, look at the wildshape ranger for example.

All that the adept gets are spells. Spells  that other classes can get. So by your definition the adept suckorz because he's just a reflection of how good spellcasting is.

If the monk can get wildshape by RAW, why not the hell allow him to get it? A lot of people here seem to be all cool with allowing homebrew for the psywarrior to get metamorphosis extra early, but the monk can't get the nice things the actual rules allow him why again?

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
If the monk can get wildshape by RAW, why not the hell allow him to get it? A lot of people here seem to be all cool with allowing homebrew for the psywarrior to get metamorphosis extra early, but the monk can't get the nice things the actual rules allow him why again?

Mostly because I don't think anyone is arguing that the Wild Monks are worse than an expert, nor that he is worse than an adept.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »

Mostly because I don't think anyone is arguing that the Wild Monks are worse than an expert, nor that he is worse than an adept.

This.  We all agree Wild Monks are substantially better, but they also aren't what most people mean when they say monk. 
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »

This.  We all agree Wild Monks are substantially better, but they also aren't what most people mean when they say monk. 

It works both ways. So the adept is a magic user? Well what most people think when they say magic user is either nuking or healing.

So it's only fair that the adept only gets to use pure damage and pure healing spells.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »

[/qu

It works both ways. So the adept is a magic user? Well what most people think when they say magic user is either nuking or healing.

So it's only fair that the adept only gets to use pure damage and pure healing spells.

I think a better argument against the Wild monk is that it is a variant from Dragon Magazine.  If it was from one of the Complete Series it would be on of the first things listed when people ask for Monk help. If it was from a web article it would get linked often. But due to the obscure nature, traditionally poorly balanced, and more difficult to access nature of Dragon Magazine makes even the good material from it gets little use.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
If the monk can get wildshape by RAW, why not the hell allow him to get it?

That isn't RAW, that's Paizo. As for the PsiWar getting Metamorphosis early, I have no idea how that works.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

This.  We all agree Wild Monks are substantially better, but they also aren't what most people mean when they say monk.  

Not exactly, but the argument is mainly that a straight adept beats a straight monk in terms of usability.
The adept's spell list is not expanded significantly by supplement sources, he needs nothing but core...except core is all he needs, and core is usually approved.
The expert truly needs only UMD and scrolls to be combat effective. To be generally effective he just needs to be himself.
The monk's usability hinges on either a monk variant from an obscure source(which may or may not violate the monk's image), or else feats from multiple campaign/obscure sources(Truth be told I hadn't even heard of half the things used to give the monk a fighting chance until the Expert vs Monk thread). Most of these methods gain no advantage from being a monk. You could do the same thing with a spell-less wizard for the most part.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »

That isn't RAW, that's Paizo. As for the PsiWar getting Metamorphosis early, I have no idea how that works.
Oh I know!
UPD.

...Ok not really.
The expert truly needs only UMD and scrolls to be combat effective. To be generally effective he just needs to be himself.
The monk's usability hinges on either a monk variant from an obscure source(which may or may not violate the monk's image), or else feats from multiple campaign/obscure sources(Truth be told I hadn't even heard of half the things used to give the monk a fighting chance until the Expert vs Monk thread). Most of these methods gain no advantage from being a monk. You could do the same thing with a spell-less wizard for the most part.
I wasn't aware Races of Destiny(Able Learner) was either a campaign or obscure source. Srsly that's all you got? A Monk using UMD doesn't fit my image of the Monk, so I must be right. Great job convincing me so far.  :rollseyes
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »

Oh I know!
UPD.

...Ok not really.
I wasn't aware Races of Destiny(Able Learner) was either a campaign or obscure source. Srsly that's all you got? A Monk using UMD doesn't fit my image of the Monk, so I must be right. Great job convincing me so far.  :rollseyes

He was talking about the one from KoK Skill Prodigy, which is both obscure and a campaign setting, since that's what was used in the other thread.  Able Learner seems mostly irrelevant in this conversation?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
Not exactly, but the argument is mainly that a straight adept beats a straight monk in terms of usability.
The adept's spell list is not expanded significantly by supplement sources, he needs nothing but core...except core is all he needs, and core is usually approved.
If we're gonna put arbitary limitations then I choose to remove the spell section of Core. Adept and Monk fight head on whitout magic trickeries! It's only fair because basic combat rules are all he needs in this case, and basic combat rules are usually approved (at least more aproved than certain spells).

1-The expert on that thread was picking Iajutsu Focus, an obscure feat to get trapfinding and several other noncore tricks as key parts of its build.
2-It has been stablished several times that UMD with magic items alone isn't a valid tactic, even for rogues that get it as a class skill. Why does the expert gets a free pass again?

I could make an UMD user with pretty damn anything. Again, why does the expert gets a free pass at it?