Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65679 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #260 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
I've succeeded 95% after level 3 unless the creature was built to stop it, or had more than twice my HD. Bullrushing giants 15+ feetas a dwarf with moving type success.

Same deal with tripping, disarming, sundering oh God, etc. If you take the feats for it, priorto 15th its just an autowin. I've played these against a variety of foes, too.

Hell a sixth level alchemist with no magical enhancement bonuses to stats was outgrappling a 12hd vampire because the way the cmb/cmd system works.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »
I've had a barbarian in the group who succeeds at grapples 95% of the time, and he's fighting things 2 CR higher than us. Pathfinder made it easier for him to do it using Combat Maneuvers and the extra feats. I'm not big on the nerfed feats, but that's what a discerning DM is for.

tl;dr: Pathfinder is fine with more than a few grains of salt.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: December 14, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »
What's worse is when the DM's four CR-4 creatures locks down the party thanks to grappling and tripping.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #263 on: December 14, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
What's worse is when the DM's four CR-4 creatures locks down the party thanks to grappling and tripping.
Or worse, two CR-3 monsters grappling and drowning your whole party.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
I prefer overly effective monsters to useless ones. What happened here is that a mundane tactic got GOOD because of an unbalanced mechanic. If it were a casting mechanic, I'd be leery, but in this case I'm cheering for the mundanes.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »
I've succeeded 95% after level 3 unless the creature was built to stop it, or had more than twice my HD. Bullrushing giants 15+ feetas a dwarf with moving type success.

Same deal with tripping, disarming, sundering oh God, etc. If you take the feats for it, priorto 15th its just an autowin. I've played these against a variety of foes, too.

Hell a sixth level alchemist with no magical enhancement bonuses to stats was outgrappling a 12hd vampire because the way the cmb/cmd system works.

Well, think about what spell casters of the same level can do, is it really so horrible that-non casters can trip/grapple/sunder?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
Spell casters have saves to all their stuff that takes people put of the fight in of, and saves tend to scale faster than dcs.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2010, 11:19:02 PM »
Yeah, but is tripping somebody 95% of the time better than blinding them and their friends, entangling them or paralyzing them 50% of the time?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2010, 11:28:08 PM »
If those were level one spells doing that, then no. In a lot of instances, its better,  because glitterdust, color spray, and entangle can't let your allies all aoo the enemy, and a large number of the maneuvers do when you pock up the greater version at 6th.

Also, there's a maneuver that entangled with no save, one that blinds with no save, one that dazed with no save, oh wait that's the same maneuver that does all those. Check out the APG.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
Well like everything given to fighters, it's not that great. The regular and improved versions can be undone with a move action, so it's more versatile but less useful then tripping them. If you trip them they need a move action to stand which provokes, with a dirty trick they can just spend a move action to negate the effect, the don't have to roll and it doesn't provoke. Greater Dirty Trick is a bit better, because you can trade your standard action to negate theirs, the only condition that's really impairing though is blindness, which you have to play mother-may-I with the DM to even be allowed to use. Since you can't inflict a permanent condition stabbing an enemy in the eyes is still out, but more importantly the bonus you get to your CMB from anything weapon specific probably isn't going to apply to your check. Since even trying this maneuver is a standard action it's what you get to do this round, period (unless you're a caster). I'm not seeing the balance of power shifting because of this.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »
Blindness is easy: three stooges eye poke.

Or sand/salt/gravel/ash/pepper in eyes, etc.

Combine it with one of the many ways to nauseate someone, and it gets a lot more potent.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #271 on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:44 AM »
Blindness is easy: three stooges eye poke.

Or sand/salt/gravel/ash/pepper in eyes, etc.

Combine it with one of the many ways to nauseate someone, and it gets a lot more potent.

For men, nut kick.

For everyone, you may need to explain to your DM what a liver shot is.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »
On topic (again): What specific mechanical changes have people liked about pathfinder? I for one am very happy with the Combat Maneuver system.

You mean the nerf system?

Because beatsticks kind of need to both reliably pull off maneuvers, and those maneuvers do something meaningful.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
Sunic, nerf? numerical proof or it didn't happen. ( a link suffices. ) Bonuses from size are significantly reduced for monsters, and there's the important rule that everything that affects attack or defense, usually also affects CMB/CMD.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you hate PF so much... has someone forced you to play it at gunpoint or something?

Of course, the whole everything-affects-CM? thing sort of complicates the otherwise nice "I want to do something odd in combat" / "Okay, roll CMB vs CMD" thing.

In actual gameplay ( where, remember, inter-class balance doesn't matter ) PF works about as fine as other 3.Xs do, and you can use most 3.x splats with a moderate amount of conversion effort.

the thread's long so tl;dr and all, but has the reason why Fighter must remain a simple class been hashed?

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
I think Sunic is just bored, if he had something better to do he wouldn't have necroed a two year old thread. I don't know why he hates Pathfinder so much either, I had a bad time playing 4e and I just don't bring it up, it's not worth my time.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
The CMB/CMD thing helps a lot with streamlining the special combat moves I think, and actual gameplay does make them work often enough with a reasonably optimized build, rather than a fully focused one.

One nice thing about Sunder, you can choose to destroy a successfully sundered object or simply inflict the 'Broken' condition to it and leave it at 1hp. Pretty decent debuff, even if disarming is probably better, since you still get your loot afterwards.

Hungry Ghost is lame, but check out the Zen Archer monk down at the bottom of the page. 

8 bonus feats in 6 levels and wis as an attack stat makes for a pretty cool variant archer that challenges an equivalent level fighter or ranger as a ranged combatant while maintaining higher saving throws and remaining decent in melee as well.  Standing in place to flurry-shoot (and therefore gain full BAB) solves one of the monk's main problems. 

At higher levels, you'll have more ranged attacks than any other character (+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3), with each arrow dealing your unarmed damage (2d10, or more if large-sized - and why wouldn't you be?), and arrows are automatically lawful and adamantine on top of whatever your bow's giving them.  Add in the homing property, the ability to take AOO's with your bow and not provoke them either, and you have a pretty sweet package altogether. 

Now if only they could do something outside of combat.

Hey, if you want to be completely useless when what you do isn't called for, more power to you...

Wait, are you saying that shooting somebody isn't a legitimate answer to every encounter?
Enlightenment is like firing arrows.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
Sunic, nerf? numerical proof or it didn't happen. ( a link suffices. ) Bonuses from size are significantly reduced for monsters, and there's the important rule that everything that affects attack or defense, usually also affects CMB/CMD.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you hate PF so much... has someone forced you to play it at gunpoint or something?

Of course, the whole everything-affects-CM? thing sort of complicates the otherwise nice "I want to do something odd in combat" / "Okay, roll CMB vs CMD" thing.

In actual gameplay ( where, remember, inter-class balance doesn't matter ) PF works about as fine as other 3.Xs do, and you can use most 3.x splats with a moderate amount of conversion effort.

the thread's long so tl;dr and all, but has the reason why Fighter must remain a simple class been hashed?

All you have to do is read the descriptions of all the relevant material. Which means the Improved Trip feat, Spiked Chains, and the tripping rules themselves. The others were never worth it to begin with, but were still made worse.

As for why I smite Pathfailure so much, people should be warned against playing terrible games. People should be warned why those terrible games are terrible. It's a public service. Friends don't let friends play terrible games. And even if they aren't your buddy, still don't. Pathfailure isn't something you should will upon your worst enemy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:02:12 PM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
Gee, a slight hyperbole there. Reading...

Question about the hungry ghost: Why is it so bad? It reads like free ki points to me, which is... significant. Is it the cost in losing standard monk abilities? I could see a keen / imp crit cestus-using monk being workable, threat of 17-20 with 7-8 hits is quite possible.

In our pathfinder game, the Monk was usually the first to ask about resting, interestingly enough, which probably means monks don't get enough ki points.

Btw, wholeness of body is actually semi-cool, with the heal level in HP using ki, albeit I'm not sure why it wasn't set at 1 ki point per usage.
*edit*
Okay, spiked chain isn't a reach weapon any more, which is... meh, really. You can just use a guisarme + spiked gauntlet.
Improved Trip only gets +2, although you also get +2 on defense vs. trip. So yeah, unlike most other greater feats, improved + greater doesn't give much more than the old 3.5 improved trip, +2 defense hardly counts. OTOH, the mechanic is different.

OLD TRIP with Improved Trip(3.5):
Touch Attack (BAB+STR) vs. Touch AC (10+dex+misc), goes from ~25-30% miss probability to 5% miss probability over career, mostly.
on success, you make an opposed STR check vs. opposed STR or DEX check. In addition, larger opponent gets +4 per size category difference. The success chance for this isn't really all that good, except against medium humanoids. -20% success chance per size category difference, so -60% vs. colossal, or equal vs. large.

Improved Trip effectively makes you 1 size category larger for the purpose of tripping.
on success you also get a FREE attack vs. the tripped opponent.

Optimal case, a strongman tripper vs. medium opponent, only fails on rolls of 1. Bad case, vs. a Titan, an optimized 20th-level character
(say, BAB +20, STR 42, large, improved grapple) would have a trip modifier of +44 vs. +52, or basically... best case 45% fail chance, average 85% fail?

NEW TRIP with Improved Trip(3.5):
CMB (BAB+STR+Misc) vs. CMD (10+BAB+STR+DEX+Misc), fail probability starts at about 35-40%, with stronger and more capable characters gaining advantage as levels increase, but not scaling to auto-hit or auto-fail.

As size modifiers go 1-2-4-8, +2 actually equals to two size categories.

Greater trip: You get an Attack of Opportunity vs. target.

Optimal case, a tripper (STR 42) would have +40 CMB to trip vs. an average CMD of... oh, maybe 40 or so, so a 5% chance of failure.
Bad case, again goes pretty impossible vs. colossal dragons, Balors and Pit Fiends having around 60% fail chance.

Result: Mmh. On average, tripping works fine in pathfinder, and is easier against strong characters... basically, it's more tied to character's level and combat abilities rather than just STR score, which I like. On the other hand, trying ANY type of a combat maneuver is futile against any colossal cr 20+ challenge... or is it? This is just the flat score, not taking into account the other possible bonuses, such as from charging, aid another, flanking...

Here's the key:
Add any bonuses you currently have on attack rolls due to spells, feats, and other effects. These bonuses must be applicable to the weapon or attack used to perform the maneuver.
Enhancement bonus on a trip weapon? Weapon Focus? Those Fighter's +1s to attack start to stack up here pretty fast...

Oh, and here's one thing I really like in PF ( which can be backported to 3.5 easy enough as can most good PF things ) -
It allows fighters to craft their own weapons. Master Craftsman, TYVM.

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
The usual critique of tripping in Pathfinder is: it takes an extra feat for it to work kind of like in 3.5 (imp.trip+great.trip) and that the spiked chain the only weapon to give reach and work up close has been nerfed to not work like that. You can use a heavy flail + lunge, but you won't have reach when it's not your turn.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
Eh, considering you effectively net 2 more virtual size categories, and that spiked chain was 'too good' a weapon... that is, it was a no-brainer choice out of all of the exotic weapons.

Y'know, the weapons themselves could use a boost, all around. Maybe go with Conan weapon dice, at least - or increase the die size a bit. 1d12 bastard swords, 2d8 greatswords... or even fun dice like, oh, 1d8+1d10, or something.