Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65676 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »
Hungry Ghost is lame, but check out the Zen Archer monk down at the bottom of the page. 

8 bonus feats in 6 levels and wis as an attack stat makes for a pretty cool variant archer that challenges an equivalent level fighter or ranger as a ranged combatant while maintaining higher saving throws and remaining decent in melee as well.  Standing in place to flurry-shoot (and therefore gain full BAB) solves one of the monk's main problems. 

At higher levels, you'll have more ranged attacks than any other character (+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3), with each arrow dealing your unarmed damage (2d10, or more if large-sized - and why wouldn't you be?), and arrows are automatically lawful and adamantine on top of whatever your bow's giving them.  Add in the homing property, the ability to take AOO's with your bow and not provoke them either, and you have a pretty sweet package altogether. 

Now if only they could do something outside of combat.

Hey, if you want to be completely useless when what you do isn't called for, more power to you...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
Hungry Ghost is lame, but check out the Zen Archer monk down at the bottom of the page. 

8 bonus feats in 6 levels and wis as an attack stat makes for a pretty cool variant archer that challenges an equivalent level fighter or ranger as a ranged combatant while maintaining higher saving throws and remaining decent in melee as well.  Standing in place to flurry-shoot (and therefore gain full BAB) solves one of the monk's main problems. 

At higher levels, you'll have more ranged attacks than any other character (+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3), with each arrow dealing your unarmed damage (2d10, or more if large-sized - and why wouldn't you be?), and arrows are automatically lawful and adamantine on top of whatever your bow's giving them.  Add in the homing property, the ability to take AOO's with your bow and not provoke them either, and you have a pretty sweet package altogether. 

Hey, if you want to be completely useless when what you do isn't called for, more power to you...

Wait, are you saying that shooting somebody isn't a legitimate answer to every encounter?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »
That Hungry Ghost package does have bad fluff and seems rather poor, but it does help the monks issues with ability usage which seems to have gotten even worse in PF due to the introduction of the ki pool.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »

Also has anyone mentioned that just adding "fail" to something does not make it witty or insulting?  I mean fuck, "4.fail?"  How does that even work out?  There's literally no connection there.  It's like if I went "Sunic more like BALLsic hurr hurr."

Wait no, I think mine was actually funnier.

Hi Welcome

The goal is to be descriptive.

Saying 4.Fail both conveys that you are discussing 4th edition, and that 4th edition is a failure all in a single word.

Same for saying Pathfailure, except in regards to Pathfinder.

Now I could write this out each and every time, but as often as I have to point out how terrible these systems are fuck that noise, I'm using shorthand.

The witty and insulting parts come in the details.

Anything else you would like to add? Preferably not things that shift you on the scale towards Paizilhood?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »
Oh no SUnic thinks poorly of me

:scared

Again, you are acting like a Linux nerd who seriously uses "M$" or "Micro$oft"
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
Oh no SUnic thinks poorly of me

:scared

Again, you are acting like a Linux nerd who seriously uses "M$" or "Micro$oft"

Descriptive shorthand, fool.

Now, would you like to go back to posting intelligently?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
Saying 4.Fail both conveys that you are discussing 4th edition, and that you are the type of intellectual gnat who, a century ago, would be referring to the Irish as "patties", blacks as "sambos" and Japanese as "nips".
FTFY.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
Saying 4.Fail both conveys that you are discussing 4th edition, and that you are the type of intellectual gnat who, a century ago, would be referring to the Irish as "patties", blacks as "sambos" and Japanese as "nips".
FTFY.

Comparing someone bashing 4th edition and PF to real world racists = Epic Fucking Fail is Fucking Epic.

Hi Welcome

GFY.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
Yes, because referring to a group of people you dislike via a derogatory term is completely different from referring to a group of people you dislike via a derogatory term.
Planetouched Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:08 PM »
Yes, because referring to a group of people you dislike via a derogatory term is completely different from referring to a group of people you dislike via a derogatory term.

Translation: "Sunic, you are being a bigot."

Estimated response: "GTFO".

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »

Because referring to a gaming system, which is what 4th edition and Pathfinder actually fucking reference in a derogatory way is exactly the same fucking thing as hurling racial slurs about?

Now if you are talking about the word Paizil, which we were not until you decided to demonstrate your fucktardedness to our dismay, then we'd be talking about actual people... but even so you're still honestly comparing a term that refers to a number of people that just so happen to play a certain game (as opposed to all of them) to a racial slur (which aside from obviously being far more serious to anyone with an IQ greater than a mother fucking mushroom applies to ALL members of that race, regardless of whether they exhibit certain traits or not) as if the two were in any way comparable.

TML, you are quickly rising up the ladder of mouth breathing fuckwititude, and closing on Faelryinth at surprising speed. With each passing day you become more brain dead and contemptible. Please eviscerate yourself with a rusty buster sword for the good of humanity. Thanks in advance for your cooperation with the Humanity Improvement Project.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:59:20 PM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »
Yes, I realize it's difficult for you to realize how your liberal use of pejorative makes you sound exactly like the type of bigots so disliked by our society. 

After this, perhaps you could consider coming up with new demeaning terms for the Welsh.  After all, it isn't 'racism' if there isn't any difference in race, right?  (my apologies if my assumption about your race is incorrect - if so, substitute the appropriate equivalent)

Oh, and next you can go by Rwanda and make up new slurs for the Tutsis!  After all the only difference between Tutsi and Hutu status is whether or not their ancestors had cows when the Germans came by in 1894.

Now, Sunic, it's easy not to sound like a bigot.  Really easy.  You just have to stop using pejoratives.  You see, every time you use a pejorative, you are effectively adding the sentence "Oh, and by the way, I'm probably a bigot" to any of your posts.  Not including those pejoratives magically makes you seem like a rational person who has intelligent things to say.  I know, it's a big surprise.  I'm surprised.

Now, I can understand why this would make trolling more effective, but I was under the impression that you actually wanted to make a positive contribution to the forum.
Planetouched Handbook

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2010, 04:01:15 PM »
Hurr durr making fun of people for being stupid is exactly the same as making fun of people based on their race, btw Sunic you're Welsh.

Fixed, and fail.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
Now, I can understand why this would make trolling more effective, but I was under the impression that you actually wanted to make a positive contribution to the forum.
Hurr durr
I'll take that as a no.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #254 on: December 14, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »
Hurr durr
I'll take that as a no.

Because as we all know, randomly insulting someone for no fucking reason makes the forum a better place, right?

In case that was too subtle for you, yes I mean you. And you too TML. You two are the fuckers drawing a practically throwaway comment referring to unintelligent people of a specific kind into some sort of drawn out bullshit fest. Hint: Shut the fuck up and the discussion ends.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #255 on: December 14, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
On topic (again): What specific mechanical changes have people liked about pathfinder? I for one am very happy with the Combat Maneuver system.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
I personally disagree, it's just as broken as in 3.5 for working effectively, except hitting a static number makes it open to a lot more abuse. Knocking a large sized creature 15+ feet every round with a shield bash or other bullrush is ridiculous, and grapplers pretty much autosucceed everything they do now against on-HD threats if they are built for it.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
I like it because of the exact reasons you said. It makes those builds easier to achieve, with less hoop jumping. IMO mundanes needed it.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
As long as you can spend twicw the feats to do it as it took in 3.5
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
I remember an earlier discussion and it came down to this : how often should a trip-fighter succeed? Most people think it's OK that a Wizard can turn someone into a fucking newt 65% of the the time, but if a Fighter can trip/grapple/disarm someone 65% of the time then the system is broken.