Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65675 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
Please write it so I can direct it at my friends next time they ask.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
Uncreative insults for uncreative people.

Agreed, uncreative people make uncreative insults  ;)

Class skills fused together = blatantly stolen from Saga. Also, the Fly skill exists. Obvious Caster Bias is Obvious.

Uh, no?  I get the feeling you haven't actually read any of Pathfinder.

Fly skill is a caster skill tax.  All items and spells that give non-casters fly also give them skill points to use it with.  The only thing that doesn't is polymorph spells.  In other words, the skill exists to force casters into taking it if they want to polymorph and start flying around.  But hey, I agree that it's still a dumb skill!  And the "class skills fused together" is blatently stolen from just about every single skill-based houserule that has ever been made.  Let's not pretend that Saga was the first and only people to ever come up with such an idea.  And even if they were, so fucking what?  A good idea is a good idea.  Which means you steal it.  And here, I think this is a good idea.

More feats mean nothing if those feats are individually weaker... which they are for beatsticks, but not casters. Funny, that.

None of this touches on my point though, which was in the base chassis of the system.  The comment was, having more feats is better for non-casters then it is for casters.

Favored class was changed... to give spellcasters more HP for no fucking reason, and to shove it to beatsticks yet again. This is not an improvement. Here is what is an improvement:

Favored class mechanics do not exist.

Frankly, I think the problem with favored class mechanics is the one with the philosophy of putting combat options and non-combat options at odds.  At it's heart, favored class mechanics are not a bad thing - if they bonuses they give are either all in-combat ones, or all non-combat ones.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Then you aren't reading it.

Someone, I think it was James has gone on record to say that casters are supposed to be superior. This was in response to either the trademark Pathfinder = Caster Edition, or one of the many Fighter vs Wizard threads. Explains a lot. At least they've succeeded at something, even if it is failure.

Which again is one of my biggest problems.

I think a good part of the Paizils just flat out aren't playing D&D, despite their claims. They are playing freeform. Magical Tea Party, if you will. In such an environment the beatstick need only describe himself being viable, and it happens. Must be nice, but these people have no relevance to any real discussions.

On the contrary, I think a lot of "people who are fans of Pathfinder" - because your word is dumb - are just mostly bad at the game.  They play it, but they aren't good at the mechanical aspect.  I mean, caster superiority takes quite a dive when the wizard is just throwing fireballs around and enemy monsters never fly or teleport past the fighter.

That isn't to say they're right.  That I'm explicitly calling them out as "being bad" sorta states my opinions there.  But it does show why they feel the way they do.

The other thing I've seen is that skills are often ignored.  When asked what fighters can do with their shitty 2+int skill points, the answer is always the same: Ignore skills and just freeform.  Which is a shitty answer.

And the Paizils do love to bitch about ToB. Heaven forbid beatsticks are allowed to be relevant.

This is less a "Paizo" thing and more of a grognard thing.  They're the kind of people who go blue in the face to rant about what "GARY WOULD'VE WANTED."

What Paizo has done is become a magnet for that type of person, which I think was both intentional and unintentional.  That is to say, I think they knew that there was a lot of purchasing power there, and I think that they do agree with some of the more loathsome "old school" beliefs regarding caster superiority, but I think they don't agree with all, and that they didn't realize just how vitrolic and stupid that fanbase is.  But, that's the fanbase they're now stuck with.

Personally, I want to see what their Ultimate Combat book is like.  Not because I'm hopeful.  Good god, no.  I want to see how terrible it is.  I want to see their response to the caster superiority problem and then laugh about it.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
Interesting observation from Prof. Cirno that PF has attracted a lot of the old curmudgeons who felt that 4E was too reactionary or whatever.  Looking at the local PF group, I'd say there's definitely a strong element of that in the group, which I hadn't really noticed.  Hard to say what I feel about the Paizo board...I spend almost all of my time there over on the Adventure Paths mini-boards, so the posters seem to be typical decent people, sorta like the OOTS forum.  I'm sure if I wanted to butt heads over what's OP or not, I'd have a very different opinion than most posters there though.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »
Would I be correct in summarizing the recent conversation as:

Sunic: "Pathfinder sucks!"
Others: "Yes, Pathfinder sucks in many ways!"
Sunic: "NO, YOU IDIOTS, PATHFINDER SUCKS. ALSO PAIZILS"
Others: "Er, ok?"
Sunic: "Hi Welcome"
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2010, 03:51:49 AM »

That seems both correct and typical.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2010, 03:55:18 AM »
Pathfinder boosts the average power level marginally, but does nothing to mitigate the vast power imbalances between casters and melees, and in several places, takes steps backwards.

I'm playing a pathfinder game, and previously played in another one. My tripping characters are statistically substantially less likely to pull off a successful trip than the ones in 3.5E, even built exactly the same. My casters still own. Fighters in the party still suck.

They did a handful of decent things.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
I think ProfessorCirno got most of it, they improved the chassis, ported over some of the fuckups and added new specific fuckups.
As a basis for homebrewing your own stuff, it's a pretty good deal.
As a basis for capturing old school players who feel neglected by 4e, it's the best deal there is.
As an unqualified improvement over 3.5 as a whole...I don't think anyone here thinks that. At least I hope anyone saying so is in jest.

Most recent conversations can be summed up as

Sunic: "<Something> sucks!"
Others: "Yes, <Something> sucks in many ways!"/"But <Other Thing>"
Sunic: "NO, YOU IDIOTS, <SOMETHING> SUCKS. ALSO PAIZILS"

Might need to work some variety in Sunic.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:43 AM »
As an unqualified improvement over 3.5 as a whole...I don't think anyone here thinks that. At least I hope anyone saying so is in jest.
Something something unqualified something something double meaning something something
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »

First off, "Paizil" is the dumbest fucking thing ever.  Come on, if you can't make a creative insult, don't bother.  It's the equivilant of using dollar signs to spell "Microsoft," only possibly even nerdier.  It doesn't make them look bad, it just declares to the world that you're shitty at trying to make fun of people.  It's also hilariously grognardy.

Uncreative insults for uncreative people.
Sunic, I know this request is difficult (and maybe even impossible), but please,

stop being an idiot.

Hi Welcome

GFY.

Anything useful you would like to add? If not... :fu

I'm pretty sure you two agree then, since he's saying it's not worth the money because, while it's better than 3.5 (strictly speaking) in several ways, the steps backward in a lot of the details (like Power Attack and Improved Trip) counter the improvements in the chassis, and besides creating enough new problems to counteract the ones they solved, they didn't even solve all the problems in 3.5. Maybe I'm wrong, but the two of you seem to be saying the same thing, if I'm reading your posts right.

Yeah, I don't think he read my post :p

Pathfinder as a base chassis is better then 3.5's base chassis in a few ways (though not in as many ways as it could be), and the actual core game is slightly more melee friendly.  However, 3.5 isn't just a core game, and the millisecond you include anything outside of the PHB from 3.5, Pathfinder falls out the window.

They learned from some of the mistakes in 3.5 Core...but didn't learn anything from the post-3.5 Core materials.

Also please do not for a single second think that anyone actually uses grognard to talk about a veteran or old soldier.  Come on, now.

Maneuvers - streamlined (by effectively removing them from the game via making them suck too badly to be used)!

Classes - all the classes that sucked suck more, and all the classes that rocked rock harder!

Feats - nerfed for weak classes, unchanged for strong classes.

Spells - there's still save or loses at every level, so spellcasters still dominate.

Meleeing - still a losing proposition, except that all the things that mitigate this suck are not in!

I'm pretty sure you two agree then, since he's saying it's not worth the money because, while it's better than 3.5 (strictly speaking) in several ways, the steps backward in a lot of the details (like Power Attack and Improved Trip) counter the improvements in the chassis, and besides creating enough new problems to counteract the ones they solved, they didn't even solve all the problems in 3.5. Maybe I'm wrong, but the two of you seem to be saying the same thing, if I'm reading your posts right.

Yeah, I don't think he read my post :p
It was a page of nonsensical drivel mashed between two layers of idiocy.  You bring up things that Pathfinder does better, when frankly Pathfinder doesn't do ANYTHING better.  They nerfed BARDS for fuck's sake.  Who the fuck thought that BARDS were too strong?  Wizards still win the fucking game at every level.  Their skill system makes class skills utterly meaningless, and as a result marginalizes that aspect of class balance (another not-insubstantial nerf to Bards and Rogues).  Combat Manuever shit is a joke.  How hard is it, really, to roll a Strength check?

They learned how to make fucktons of money by whoring out a franchise.  The only way what they're doing is different from what WotC is doing is that they're whoring out a franchise they don't actually own, which I must admit is a little impressive.

But XCodes! Math is HARD! And we can't have them beatsticks holding up play while they decide what to PA for? Oh, by the way, check out our Words of Power system! Creating new spells mid game couldn't possibly slow down play!

Epic necro Sunic, nearly 2 years.

I don't hate Pathfinder, and I don't hate the posters on the Paizo boards, not even the very dumb ones. I think we should jettison the term 'Paizil', there are good gamers on the Paizo boards and bad posters on every board, and we want these boards to welcome them when they are ready to take the next step in optimization.

My feelings to Pathfinder though is disappointment, with the APG there was the opportunity to put in a stealth fix for the weaker classes (Monk I'm looking at you) that wasn't followed through on. But I think Buhlman is intentionally trying to put out watered down material so he can cash in on 3.5's moldering corpse, which is probably the savviest thing he can do, I don't know why I was surprised.

What I find more perturbing is that there is no other contender to carry on 3.5's crown. Frank and K's Tomes have a lot of good ideas but are balanced at a power level I think is well above most games. Bad Axe games put out an also ran called Trailblazer, which, while interesting in some ways was pretty much dead on arrival.

Paizil only refers to the stereotypical sorts though. It's possible to be on the Paizo boards and not be a Paizil. It simply requires you to be intelligent, and capable of performing basic math. As an example, Cirno is not a Paizil.

It is also worthy of mention at this point that on average, the number of 3.5 games on MW is about double the number of 4th edition and Pathfailure games combined. Even this late into the product lifecycle. For both of the newer games. Seems most people are just waiting for 5th edition to fix things, and if it doesn't? Well, so much for D&D.

Ok the line where Pathfinder doesn't do anything better is bullshit. It may do some things worse but it doesn't do everything worse. Monks and core Bards suck in 3.5, they suck in Pathfinder too, if they suck in different ways it's not better or worse, if you make a change to an unusable option and it stays unusable you haven't made it any worse. I hate the chorus that pathfinder buffed the Wizard at lower levels, you'd have to be crazy to trade Glitterdust and Solid Fog for a few extra HP in core. Druids, likewise got nerfed with what they did to Wildshape. Of the big three Clerics got the smallest nerf with what they did too Turning and how they lost heavy armour proficiency. I've debunked the claim that the CMB system means a trip fighter trips less often, they trip more often. The skill system means that a fighter isn't a moron for putting ranks into UMD, and traits let classes add class skills, so the skill system isn't worse.

I'd take a core 3.5 Bard over a core Pathfailure Bard. Look at the song mechanics again.

Glitterdust was nerfed in an entirely meaningless way, it's just a smokescreen so they can claim casters are weaker. Haven't looked at Solid Fog, but don't expect anything better. All the Wild Shape nerf means is that in 3.5, there were viable core only melees and in Pathfailure, there aren't. That's it. Auto attacking for HP damage is in every way inferior to casting spells, so when a Druid takes the CoDzilla approach and starts beating things up as a tiger he's playing nice. Then Pathfailure tells him to stop holding back, and he says ok and starts summoning Angels. Ride that BMX bitch, ride it!

Turn attempts were only ever good for divine feats anyways. And you can still do that. AC is still meaningless, so yeah.

So Pathfinder is a big vat of 3.5 copypasta, a few small 'tweaks', a few things they broke and a mess of random changes. To most players it's going to be a very similar game experience to 3.5, so to them Pathfinder hasn't broken 3.5. In fact tonight, somewhere there's probably more than a few gaming groups getting together and enjoying it. So lets dial back the vitriol, the problem with Pathfinder is that it hasn't fixed the most obvious glaring holes in 3.5, so while it isn't horrendous it is pretty much unnecessary.

Pathfailure is the Monk of the game design world. A lot of minor pointless shit, a lot of fail, no actual substance. And a bunch of people who rabidly lie about it and claim it's the best thing ever and can beat anything. You aren't doing that, but the Paizils sure are.

Also, people are playing it is an invalid argument. Somewhere out there, there's probably some people playing FATAL. Doesn't make it a good system. It just means masochism exists as a concept.

As it is, the personal house rules I made around... two years ago or more, left alone, and then revised a bit more recently are better than anything Pathfailure has done, in every way. And I wasn't trying to go for any sort of professional publishing here. I was just fixing the balance in 3.5.

I also stole from Saga before Pathfailure did, so yeah. :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
Agreed, uncreative people make uncreative insults  ;)

Fail.

Uh, no?  I get the feeling you haven't actually read any of Pathfinder.

Fly skill is a caster skill tax.  All items and spells that give non-casters fly also give them skill points to use it with.  The only thing that doesn't is polymorph spells.  In other words, the skill exists to force casters into taking it if they want to polymorph and start flying around.  But hey, I agree that it's still a dumb skill!  And the "class skills fused together" is blatently stolen from just about every single skill-based houserule that has ever been made.  Let's not pretend that Saga was the first and only people to ever come up with such an idea.  And even if they were, so fucking what?  A good idea is a good idea.  Which means you steal it.  And here, I think this is a good idea.

Bzzt! Wrong!

Not only that, but who has a lot of skill points again? Could it possibly be that Intelligence based caster over there? Nah, couldn't be him, it has to be Mr. 2 + nothing skill points! After all, you don't need Concentration anymore, so worst case you just throw those points at Fly instead. Not that that is necessary, because you hit the wrong buzzer.

None of this touches on my point though, which was in the base chassis of the system.  The comment was, having more feats is better for non-casters then it is for casters.

Only when there are feats worth taking. Which... there aren't. Also, feats give diminishing returns. All they've really done is stealth nerf Fighters.

Frankly, I think the problem with favored class mechanics is the one with the philosophy of putting combat options and non-combat options at odds.  At it's heart, favored class mechanics are not a bad thing - if they bonuses they give are either all in-combat ones, or all non-combat ones.

So, you're completely ok with spellcasters getting +20 HP for no fucking reason, whereas beatsticks are still forced to power dip like crazy to keep up, causing them to quickly lose their favored class bonuses?

On the contrary, I think a lot of "people who are fans of Pathfinder" - because your word is dumb - are just mostly bad at the game.  They play it, but they aren't good at the mechanical aspect.  I mean, caster superiority takes quite a dive when the wizard is just throwing fireballs around and enemy monsters never fly or teleport past the fighter.

There is also the E6 factor to consider. In any case you don't balance your game around bad and stupid players. 3rd and 3.5 did that, and look what happens when you play intelligently. Pathfailure still has all of that, plus more of its own because of players like that.

That isn't to say they're right.  That I'm explicitly calling them out as "being bad" sorta states my opinions there.  But it does show why they feel the way they do.

The other thing I've seen is that skills are often ignored.  When asked what fighters can do with their shitty 2+int skill points, the answer is always the same: Ignore skills and just freeform.  Which is a shitty answer.

As I said, Magical Tea Party.

This is less a "Paizo" thing and more of a grognard thing.  They're the kind of people who go blue in the face to rant about what "GARY WOULD'VE WANTED."

Funny thing is, I can think of several people who say they've played since 1st edition and like ToB.

What Paizo has done is become a magnet for that type of person, which I think was both intentional and unintentional.  That is to say, I think they knew that there was a lot of purchasing power there, and I think that they do agree with some of the more loathsome "old school" beliefs regarding caster superiority, but I think they don't agree with all, and that they didn't realize just how vitrolic and stupid that fanbase is.  But, that's the fanbase they're now stuck with.

Personally, I want to see what their Ultimate Combat book is like.  Not because I'm hopeful.  Good god, no.  I want to see how terrible it is.  I want to see their response to the caster superiority problem and then laugh about it.

Well, this demonstrates why you are not a Paizil nicely. As for what the Paizils are doing, I again say this is more a problem with having people that have never actually played D&D, and at best played E6 talking about D&D than about grognards (who might actually have some experience). One of the biggest "grognards" over there has consistently and repeatedly proven to be incompetent and a fucktard, even regarding his favored edition (2nd).

No. :grave

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »
Uh, PF paladins and PF rangers are pretty much objectively better then 3.5 ones.

Again, I'm not sure you really read most of the rules.

Also, 3.5 Power Attack was a joke.  If you used it how WotC so very vaguely intended it, it was an annoyance on par with THAC0 for needless amounts of math.  If you used it how it was vaguely unintentionally designed to be used with Shock Trooper as a major improvement, there was no point in the mechanic at all, since the number you subtracted could just been written as "Whatever maximum amount you can take from your AC" since that's the number you choose every time.  The whole super power attacker for a billion damage might've made melee do-able, but it was done on accident, and it shows with how sloppy it is.

As for classes all around:

Barbarian: Rage powers are a potentially awesome idea with hilariously pathetic implimentation, and rage as a per-round is such a stupid idea with so much bullshit busywork attached.
Bard: Again, music being per-round is the dumbest of all things.  The rest of the abilities are better then what core bard got though.  3.5 core bardic knowledge was just terrible.  Versatile Performer is a good ability that's really badly worded.  Jack of all trades comes at such a late level and skills by then will be so high it may as well not exist.  Did I mention the per-round idea is exceedingly stupid?
Cleric: More should've been done to this guy, he really hasn't been nerfed.
Druid: I dunno.  I've never been a fan of druids, like, ever, so I don't have much experience on them.  I think the change to polymorph is kinda sloppy.  Probably wasn't kicked down hard enough, but again, I can't rightfully say.
Fighter: Hahahahaha fuck you, you didn't add anything here.  A class plagued with having nothing but exceedingly boring +1's to things, and you gave them extra +1s.  Linear fighter indeed.  I mean, of all the problems and of all the complaints and of all the issues that fighters had, I'm fairly certain none of the were "Needs more minute modifiers to keep track of."  Jesus, there's been so many better ideas.  Why not borrow the adaptive idea from warblades?  That's something fighters should have.  No no too interesting, we need just another terrible +1 to attack.
Monk: See: Fighter.  Except worse.
Paladin: Good improvements all around.  Casting should be a swift action, needs better utility abilities/spells, but by and large I rather like the PF paladin.
Ranger: Again, it's better, but not as improved as the paladin - and not as improved as it needs to be.  Too many +1's with little else.  Better then core ranger by far, but not as good as Swift Hunter.
Rogue: Christ, finally, a change to sneak attack.  Still has some really dumb leftovers from 3.5 (You can't sneak attack someone in a dark alleyway?  Fuck you).  Rogue talents, much like rage powers, are things that could potentially be really cool, but you decided to make them all boring instead.  Probably because hurrr no wizards have to be able to do everything not non-casters.
Sorcerer: Bloodlines stuff is pretty cool.  I like sorcerers because death to Vancian casting (even if it is just Vancian lite).  Not much else to say here
Wizards: Hahahaha what.  Did you make a bunch of great ideas for fighters and then just go "WAIT NO LET'S GIVE IT ALL TO WIZARDS!"  No more banned spells?  Fuck you.  Higher HP?  Fuck you!  Awesome and potentially hilariously powerful abilities to each school?  Hahaha, what?  What happened here?  How did this even occur?

As far as PrCs go, most just weren't really improved enough (Duelist, I'm looking at you), but Dragon Disciple and AA are at least vaguely do-able now.

Bottom line, so many of these problems aren't just "could've been fixed," they "were already fixed if you'd just look past core 3.5, why did you ignore this?"  

There's some legit good ideas in here, but nothing was done with them.  I mean, rage powers?  You have such a huge scope of fiction and mythology to dig through, from viking berserker rages to Cu Chulainn's war spasms to Hindu gods, there's a huge variety of epic and awesome things.  Instead we get ANGRY SWIMMING.  I like how even the good ones are given little shit notes, like "ho ho ho barbarian player, let's not get TOO excited here, you still aren't a caster!"  Clear Mind is easy enough - reroll your will saves.  It's a good ability, and it's fitting, since Conan more or less just shrugs off every spell cast on him and goes back to killing wizards with thrown chairs.  But they had to add it can only be done once per rage.  Ho ho ho barbarian, let's not get too uppity now!  You can avoid my spell once, but then you go back to being my bitch!

RE: Grognards

Grognard isn't just "Guy who's old" or "person who likes an older edition."  Aux is a perfect example of a noticably terrible grognard.

Grognard test: Ask about ToB.  If the use "magic" or "weeaboo" or "anime" and talk about how they hate it, they're probably a grognard.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2010, 09:30:57 AM »
I'd take a core 3.5 Bard over a core Pathfailure Bard. Look at the song mechanics again.

Glitterdust was nerfed in an entirely meaningless way, it's just a smokescreen so they can claim casters are weaker. Haven't looked at Solid Fog, but don't expect anything better. All the Wild Shape nerf means is that in 3.5, there were viable core only melees and in Pathfailure, there aren't. That's it. Auto attacking for HP damage is in every way inferior to casting spells, so when a Druid takes the CoDzilla approach and starts beating things up as a tiger he's playing nice. Then Pathfailure tells him to stop holding back, and he says ok and starts summoning Angels. Ride that BMX bitch, ride it!

Turn attempts were only ever good for divine feats anyways. And you can still do that. AC is still meaningless, so yeah.

I'm curious if you've ever tried playing a 3.5 Bard? I was in a campaign starting at level 2, I think we got up to around level 4 or 5 and playing a Bard sucked. If the campaign hadn't been neglected I would have suicided. At low level you can inspire courage for +1, cast one of your limited spells or fight, poorly. I consider those shitty options, now a Bard can be optimized, sure, but unless singing is really important to you, your better off playing something else. I've seen everyone else in my group take a stab at playing one and it always ends in mediocrity. That's what I mean when I say unusable, a PF Bard may be worse but I don't consider a Bard a good choice in either system.

You claim that there are viable core only melee characters, unless you consider everything it the SRD core then you are wrong. In core a melee character has no way to leverage power attack for massive damage or due extra damage on a charge unless on horse back.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Uh, PF paladins and PF rangers are pretty much objectively better then 3.5 ones.

Again, I'm not sure you really read most of the rules.

Paladins still have premature ejaculation problems with their "Holy Avenger". Rangers... got some little bullshit bonuses that are insulting to keep track of.

And that's before mentioning such things as Battle Blessing, Swift Hunter, the Spell Compendium (which actually made their casting decent)...

Also, 3.5 Power Attack was a joke.  If you used it how WotC so very vaguely intended it, it was an annoyance on par with THAC0 for needless amounts of math.  If you used it how it was vaguely unintentionally designed to be used with Shock Trooper as a major improvement, there was no point in the mechanic at all, since the number you subtracted could just been written as "Whatever maximum amount you can take from your AC" since that's the number you choose every time.  The whole super power attacker for a billion damage might've made melee do-able, but it was done on accident, and it shows with how sloppy it is.

Perhaps. What matters though is results.

3.5 melee: Can do enough damage to matter, and dealing damage is his sole purpose in existence, so his life has meaning.
Pathfailure melee: Cannot do enough damage to matter. Is completely irrelevant as a direct result of this.

And like it or not, 3.5 PA was one of the few choices beatsticks actually got to make.

Not to mention that 3.5 PA made moderate AC actually useful. In Pathfailure you're best off with 10 + whatever incidental bonuses you get and not spend a single copper specifically to improve AC, because everything will auto hit you anyways, so why not spend the money on things that actually help you?

As for classes all around:

Barbarian: Rage powers are a potentially awesome idea with hilariously pathetic implimentation, and rage as a per-round is such a stupid idea with so much bullshit busywork attached.
Bard: Again, music being per-round is the dumbest of all things.  The rest of the abilities are better then what core bard got though.  3.5 core bardic knowledge was just terrible.  Versatile Performer is a good ability that's really badly worded.  Jack of all trades comes at such a late level and skills by then will be so high it may as well not exist.  Did I mention the per-round idea is exceedingly stupid?
Cleric: More should've been done to this guy, he really hasn't been nerfed.
Druid: I dunno.  I've never been a fan of druids, like, ever, so I don't have much experience on them.  I think the change to polymorph is kinda sloppy.  Probably wasn't kicked down hard enough, but again, I can't rightfully say.
Fighter: Hahahahaha fuck you, you didn't add anything here.  A class plagued with having nothing but exceedingly boring +1's to things, and you gave them extra +1s.  Linear fighter indeed.  I mean, of all the problems and of all the complaints and of all the issues that fighters had, I'm fairly certain none of the were "Needs more minute modifiers to keep track of."  Jesus, there's been so many better ideas.  Why not borrow the adaptive idea from warblades?  That's something fighters should have.  No no too interesting, we need just another terrible +1 to attack.
Monk: See: Fighter.  Except worse.
Paladin: Good improvements all around.  Casting should be a swift action, needs better utility abilities/spells, but by and large I rather like the PF paladin.
Ranger: Again, it's better, but not as improved as the paladin - and not as improved as it needs to be.  Too many +1's with little else.  Better then core ranger by far, but not as good as Swift Hunter.
Rogue: Christ, finally, a change to sneak attack.  Still has some really dumb leftovers from 3.5 (You can't sneak attack someone in a dark alleyway?  Fuck you).  Rogue talents, much like rage powers, are things that could potentially be really cool, but you decided to make them all boring instead.  Probably because hurrr no wizards have to be able to do everything not non-casters.
Sorcerer: Bloodlines stuff is pretty cool.  I like sorcerers because death to Vancian casting (even if it is just Vancian lite).  Not much else to say here
Wizards: Hahahaha what.  Did you make a bunch of great ideas for fighters and then just go "WAIT NO LET'S GIVE IT ALL TO WIZARDS!"  No more banned spells?  Fuck you.  Higher HP?  Fuck you!  Awesome and potentially hilariously powerful abilities to each school?  Hahaha, what?  What happened here?  How did this even occur?

Not to mention any argument about 3.5 PA slowing down play is automatically invalid when you see all the per round shit you have to track which... wait for it... slows down play!

Aside from that...

Bard songs as a per round thing means he has to keep singing every round. Instead of what happens in 3.5, where he sings for a round, and then stops, and the song lasts to round 2, and round 3 (fight's over) and even continues on into rounds 4, 5, and 6 which are the first three rounds of looting.

The biggest problem with Polymorph has always been having to check a bunch of books to see what you get. Which is still there. So while they've messed with the Cleric Archer aspect of it, they haven't actually fixed it. Just stroked some gimp egos a bit.

Channel your anger. Let it grow and become the embodiment of smiting imbeciles. :evillaugh:

As far as PrCs go, most just weren't really improved enough (Duelist, I'm looking at you), but Dragon Disciple and AA are at least vaguely do-able now.

Duelists have always been made of fail. AA was the original inspiration for the Cleric Archer build. And everything the Paizils touch turns to Fail, so I have no confidence they actually fixed it. Same for DD.

There's some legit good ideas in here, but nothing was done with them.  I mean, rage powers?  You have such a huge scope of fiction and mythology to dig through, from viking berserker rages to Cu Chulainn's war spasms to Hindu gods, there's a huge variety of epic and awesome things.  Instead we get ANGRY SWIMMING.  I like how even the good ones are given little shit notes, like "ho ho ho barbarian player, let's not get TOO excited here, you still aren't a caster!"  Clear Mind is easy enough - reroll your will saves.  It's a good ability, and it's fitting, since Conan more or less just shrugs off every spell cast on him and goes back to killing wizards with thrown chairs.  But they had to add it can only be done once per rage.  Ho ho ho barbarian, let's not get too uppity now!  You can avoid my spell once, but then you go back to being my bitch!

:lmao MORE! GIVE ME MORE NERDRAGE!

Regarding core only melee characters, they certainly do exist in 3.5. Perhaps you missed them.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion

There you go, three core only viable melee characters.

As for Bards, I never claimed they were good. Just that I'd take a song that doesn't end when they drop over one that does, and that I'd take the Wizard light with their spells over Pathfailure's... well, failure to contribute anything of value yet again.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
Regarding core only melee characters, they certainly do exist in 3.5. Perhaps you missed them.

I'm going to call bullshit on this too. Take a Fire Giant, a simple, straight forward challenge CR 10 challenge. A Cleric can certainly beat one, but not without resorting to magic, which at that point means he is a caster, even if he then goes into melee. A Druid's animal companion by itself couldn't either, although a Wildshaped Druid with animal companion probably could. Even with the nerfing of the Druid in Pathfinder I still think a PF Druid could take a Fire giant in melee, so really the only viable melee character in either system is the Druid.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »

I'm going to call bullshit on this too. Take a Fire Giant, a simple, straight forward challenge CR 10 challenge. A Cleric can certainly beat one, but not without resorting to magic, which at that point means he is a caster, even if he then goes into melee. A Druid's animal companion by itself couldn't either, although a Wildshaped Druid with animal companion probably could. Even with the nerfing of the Druid in Pathfinder I still think a PF Druid could take a Fire giant in melee, so really the only viable melee character in either system is the Druid.

Well, of course you need magic to be a viable melee character. 1st edition taught us that, and it was made before about half the people here were born.

The point was that they could swing a weapon around without automatically being a damn fool for swinging a weapon around. I never said they were nonmagical.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
Well, of course you need magic to be a viable melee character. 1st edition taught us that, and it was made before about half the people here were born.

The point was that they could swing a weapon around without automatically being a damn fool for swinging a weapon around. I never said they were nonmagical.

Looking over what's available to a core-only CoDzilla, I don't think either can be effective just using melee, even with buffs available. A Cleric with Divine Power + Righteous Might wielding a Greatsword (via the war domain) can do about as much damage as something like a Fire Giant per hit, but the Fire Giant gets 50% more attacks than him. I think the Druid's best bet is to buff than Wildshape into a Dire Wolf and keep trying to trip. The odds get better with an animal companion, but one full attack from most monsters of that CR can kill either the Druid or the animal companion. I'm starting to think that melee just isn't viable in 3.5 past level 5.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »

Looking over what's available to a core-only CoDzilla, I don't think either can be effective just using melee, even with buffs available. A Cleric with Divine Power + Righteous Might wielding a Greatsword (via the war domain) can do about as much damage as something like a Fire Giant per hit, but the Fire Giant gets 50% more attacks than him. I think the Druid's best bet is to buff than Wildshape into a Dire Wolf and keep trying to trip. The odds get better with an animal companion, but one full attack from most monsters of that CR can kill either the Druid or the animal companion. I'm starting to think that melee just isn't viable in 3.5 past level 5.

It'd actually take two full attacks to kill them, but what else is new?

Of course even if their melee trick doesn't work, they are still a Cleric or a Druid. They can still contribute. Which means they still qualify as a character who can swing a stick without failing at life, but that is still relevant. They might not be relevant by meleeing, but they still contribute something of significant value in a core only environment.

Pathfailure just says fuck it, everyone go blow the closest Druid (Wild Shape optional), Cleric (my voice gives me super strength!), or Wizard (FANTASTIC COSMIC POWER... and NOT itty bitty living space!) and don't stop sucking until you drown in caster jizz. Don't like getting or giving head? This isn't the game for you.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
I asked my friend who really likes PF why Fighters don't have the Warblade adaptation thing and this was his answer:

"That ability is too strong."

I'm not making it up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:45:10 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
I asked my friend who really likes PF why Fighters don't have the Warblade adaptation thing and this was his answer:

I'm not making it up.
Yeah, if they seriously fixed it they'd be losing a fairly large chunk of customers, compared to the smaller amount of optimizers who didn't already start cooking up their own properly functioning classes or stuck with 3.5 anyway.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

I'm not making it up.
Yeah, if they seriously fixed it they'd be losing a fairly large chunk of customers, compared to the smaller amount of optimizers who didn't already start cooking up their own properly functioning classes or stuck with 3.5 anyway.

Well yeah, people are stupid. :P

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]