Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65668 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
Are there any additional, shiny, new reasons to mock them?

Quite a few actually.

Let's start simple.

Ride, (Armor Check Penalty).

Mostly just so they could make it a class feature to not be hit by their Paizil nerfs. Around like level 6 or so. Where Mounted Combat has expired.

Spiked Chain = not a reach weapon, but still exotic, which means Heavy Flail > it. Because they haven't nerfed Trip enough by nerfing Trip, itself. They had to really make sure.

The Paizils frequently bandy about the APG, as if it makes beatsticks stop sucking a barrel of cocks. However, the APG has the Persistent Spell metamagic. No, it doesn't work like 3.5 Persistent Spell. It's actually better than that.

Persistent Spell: When you cast a spell that instantly wins the combat, the enemy must roll their save twice and take the lower result.

+2 or so, so rods of it are super cheap. It actually works on any spell with a save, I just made its applications somewhat more obvious.

It also has the Oracle (because they haven't given win spell casters high enough DCs yet), the Witch (hey look, another roll twice and take the lower result suck it bitch caster!), the Summoner (because one class with a class feature better than your entire class wasn't enough) and... some shitty BMX Bandit feats that are in every way worse than their 3.5 counterparts, while costing more.

Oh, I have plenty more. This is the tip of the iceberg that sank the Titanic of Fail.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
I personally like the alternate monk path that as its capstone ability, casts true res on allies in a 50 foot radius, and then kills the monk forever.  :lol
A purpose for the Monk at last!

I know right?

Didn't we have a thread locked a couple years ago because the Admins don't like threads that exist for no reason other than to bash another forum? The Logic Fail thread or whatever? I'm not saying I think Paizo's forum is full of intelligent people, or that Pathfinder accomplished what it set out to do, or that its "We're going to take your feedback and make a game out of it" line wasn't pure hypocritical bullshit, so please don't attack me and claim I'm defending them. I'm saying we all already know that, and it's incredibly masturbatory to raise a thread for no reason other than to keep pointing it out. And I really don't think we need Sunic masturbating in public, particularly considering his particular fetish seems to be some sort of necrophilia/bestiality/sadism judging from the extent to which he's beating this dead horse.

Although I said "mock the Paizils" the actual means by which they would be mocked is the failings of Pathfinder. Which is what the thread is actually about, and why I raised it. And that's not against the rules.

Hi Welcome

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
*snicker* BMX bandit joke. I love that guy.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »
Quote- TM20's rant post way back on page 2 ...

I got a Tattoo of "Gleemax Roxx" on my kitty avatar.

But my kitty has regen 1 ... so it went away.

TheWyrmDude

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
In all honesty though, I wouldn't mind trying out the Inquisitor. For good or ill, I do like the flavor of the class.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Yay necro'd threads!

TheWyrmDude:
I also like the flavor of the inquisitor.  I see its role as basically a divine bard - the class has 6 skills/level, a nifty skills list, an eclectic spell list with the bard progression, and a vaguely cool grab-bag of abilities like Track and more teamwork feats than you'll ever want.  Definitely not up there in power with the cleric, but if you wanted a lower-powered game it would make a decent substitute. 

Speaking of the inquisitor, it used to have the cool mechanic for its judgments that they would increase each round by +1.  Did that get changed in the final, or am I just blind and can't find it?  And if the mechanic was removed...then why does the inquisitor still have the useless Slayer ability at 17th level? 

By the way, as a DM, the main reason I chose to switch over to PF was because I love their modules.  Excellent storyline, excellent art, and well-organized.  I can't even stand to read 4E modules these days because I've been spoiled by Paizo's model. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
Yeah, you can argue all you like about Paizo's abilities making character classes, but their modules and flavor text are really quite good.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

TheWyrmDude

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »

Speaking of the inquisitor, it used to have the cool mechanic for its judgments that they would increase each round by +1.  Did that get changed in the final, or am I just blind and can't find it?  And if the mechanic was removed...then why does the inquisitor still have the useless Slayer ability at 17th level? 

They did catch that, and the lead designer posted fixes for it, and are apparently incorporating or have incorporated the changes in the second printing. Among them are these:

"Here are the fixes.

Page 41: In the Slayer class feature, change the text to read as follows.

Slayer (Ex): At 17th level, an inquisitor learns to focus her judgment. Whenever an inquisitor uses her judgment ability, she must select one type of judgment. She is treated as if she were 5 levels higher for the purposes of determining the bonus granted by this judgment. Unlike other types of judgment, the one enhanced by this ability cannot be changed for the remainder of the judgment.

Page 41: In the True Judgement class feature, delete the sixth sentence."

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/aPGOldInqusitorJudgmentMechanicsLeftIn

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
Yeah, you can argue all you like about Paizo's abilities making character classes, but their modules and flavor text are really quite good.
Their modules work with vanilla 3.5e too, don't they?  I know they make 4e versions of all of them.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
Not perfectly compatible, but close enough.  Virtually all the PF changes are to character classes, and monsters don't really care about those. 
Planetouched Handbook

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »
My thoughts on Pathfinder are a bit long.

First off, "Paizil" is the dumbest fucking thing ever.  Come on, if you can't make a creative insult, don't bother.  It's the equivilant of using dollar signs to spell "Microsoft," only possibly even nerdier.  It doesn't make them look bad, it just declares to the world that you're shitty at trying to make fun of people.  It's also hilariously grognardy.

Now, for Pathfinder itself.

I think the base mechanical chassis for Pathfinder is better then the base mechanical chassis for 3.5.  For example, the class skill system is a lot better and more versatile, and done in a way that at rewards martial classes more then others.  The same goes with feats; more feats generally works out better for non-casters, as there's significantly fewer feats that drastically improve wizards then there are those that improve non-wizards.  Favored Class in 3e was a fucking wreck, so changing that is a good thing, although I think their changes were poorly planned out.

Overall, Pathfinder is better balanced then 3.5 core was.

I think you already spot the problem.

Pathfinder is not better balanced then 3.5 outside of Core was.  This is, I think, Pathfinder's biggest failing.  Oh, sure, they learned from some of the mistakes in 3.5 core.  But who the fuck wouldn't?  That they failed to learn from materials after 3.5 is just sad.  One of the problems is the nature of "backwards compatibility."  The issue there is that this was confused for "Must be almost identical to 3.5."  Just look at the monk.  There were so many things added and changed, not just in homebrew, but in official books, be it Tashalatora or swordsage.  The monk was pretty obviously a terrible class, and yet barely anything was done to give it a leg up.  Why?  They were afraid of making it "too different."  Certainly, the PF Fighter is better then the 3.5 Core fighter, but it's nowhere near as good as the fighter once other 3.5 books are taken into account.  There's so many places to get influence from, and they just ignored it all.  Not even 3.5 - there's good ideas in 4e too that could've been taken into account, such as the SSSoD changes or inherent bonuses.  But again, ignored.

I think the core of these issues from from a somewhat toxic philosophy - that ol' double standard of magic vs mundane.  They've sadly subscribed fully to the idea that classes have to be divided between "magical" and "mundane" rather then having all classes be "protagonists."  Martial class ineptness and obsoleteness is built in.  I forget where it was - might've even been here - but I was reading a thread on monks, and someone mentioned that they always pictured monks in a sort of "Indian guru" manner - with one ability being levitation.  So the mechanic was bandied around, until several people stomped down on it with "Ok but he can't be better then the wizard at this."  Fuck you.  That's the dumbest statement ever.  Worse, it seems to be one shared by Paizo.  That isn't the only philosophical problem, either.  One lesson they haven't learned from WotC's blunders in both editions is that you can't balance combat and non-combat choices.  It works a bit better in games like Shadowrun or WoD where you're fully expected to be doing things other then combat, but D&D at it's core is still a game about killing things and taking their stuff.  When you make a person choose between an ability that helps you kill things and take their stuff, and an ability that gives a shitty bonus to skill, what do you think people will choose?

And you know what?  I can't really blame Paizo for it.  By all accounts they're making out like bank robbers here.  The sad fact is, "not changing things" is what makes them the money.  Part of it is simply because a good dose of their fans don't care about the system, they just want "Not-4e."  Pathfinder has become a sort of citadel of solitude for some of the more reactionary WotC haters, the kind of folks who think THAC0 was a brilliant move that should've never been killed and buried like the shambling monstrosity it was.  People who hate Tome of Battle because "it just makes fighters wizards!"

I guess when you stare into the grognard, the grognard stares back.

Me, personally?  When I play or DM 3.5, I like using the Pathfinder core ruleset with "Whatever 3.x materials you want, though I retain the right to say no to them."
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/grognard

As a grognard staring at your immense ignorance, I must insist that you stop using that word as some kind of insult.

Pathfinder is better balanced, you say?  I suppose, if you measure the "imbalance" as the number of "I win" buttons that Wizards have above and beyond those of to other characters.  In 3.5e core they have about 30, while in Pathfinder they probably only have about 20, but if you compare as a ratio it's still 30:0 and 20:0.  I haven't gotten too far into Pathfinder, so I don't know the exact number, but here's what I do know: Wizards have an "I win" button, and Fighters don't.  That hasn't changed from 3.5e to Pathfinder, so why should I shell out any amount of money when the problems Prickzo is claiming to fix really aren't fixed at all?  The act of duping players into shelling out cash for badly written game rules is the exact same reason I don't purchase products from WotC anymore.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2010, 08:51:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure you two agree then, since he's saying it's not worth the money because, while it's better than 3.5 (strictly speaking) in several ways, the steps backward in a lot of the details (like Power Attack and Improved Trip) counter the improvements in the chassis, and besides creating enough new problems to counteract the ones they solved, they didn't even solve all the problems in 3.5. Maybe I'm wrong, but the two of you seem to be saying the same thing, if I'm reading your posts right.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »
Yay necro'd threads!

TheWyrmDude:
I also like the flavor of the inquisitor.  I see its role as basically a divine bard - the class has 6 skills/level, a nifty skills list, an eclectic spell list with the bard progression, and a vaguely cool grab-bag of abilities like Track and more teamwork feats than you'll ever want.  Definitely not up there in power with the cleric, but if you wanted a lower-powered game it would make a decent substitute.

You just summed up the problem with Paizo material right there.

The designers have even gone on record that they make classes based on quantity of abilities as their primary factor. Classes that get few, but strong abilities are not something they want to make because they are "boring". Seems reasonable at a glance. It's not so reasonable when you count a 3.5 Wizard as only having two class features.

In case that was too subtle for you, know what the "lots of abilities, even if they suck" approach gets you?

MONKS.

My thoughts on Pathfinder are a bit long.

First off, "Paizil" is the dumbest fucking thing ever.  Come on, if you can't make a creative insult, don't bother.  It's the equivilant of using dollar signs to spell "Microsoft," only possibly even nerdier.  It doesn't make them look bad, it just declares to the world that you're shitty at trying to make fun of people.  It's also hilariously grognardy.

Uncreative insults for uncreative people. Actually, I take that back. They made MONKS suck worse. That takes major skills. Skills of the entirely wrong type granted, but skills nonetheless.

And lol grognards.

Now, for Pathfinder itself.

I think the base mechanical chassis for Pathfinder is better then the base mechanical chassis for 3.5.  For example, the class skill system is a lot better and more versatile, and done in a way that at rewards martial classes more then others.  The same goes with feats; more feats generally works out better for non-casters, as there's significantly fewer feats that drastically improve wizards then there are those that improve non-wizards.  Favored Class in 3e was a fucking wreck, so changing that is a good thing, although I think their changes were poorly planned out.

Class skills fused together = blatantly stolen from Saga. Also, the Fly skill exists. Obvious Caster Bias is Obvious.

More feats mean nothing if those feats are individually weaker... which they are for beatsticks, but not casters. Funny, that.

Here are a few examples:

Improved Trip > 2 Paizils feats for tripping.
Mage Slayer > multiple Paizil feats for anti caster beatsticks.
Stand Still > multiple Paizil feats to try and tank.

Favored class was changed... to give spellcasters more HP for no fucking reason, and to shove it to beatsticks yet again. This is not an improvement. Here is what is an improvement:

Favored class mechanics do not exist.

Overall, Pathfinder is better balanced then 3.5 core was.

:lmao

I think you already spot the problem.

Pathfinder is not better balanced then 3.5 outside of Core was.  This is, I think, Pathfinder's biggest failing.  Oh, sure, they learned from some of the mistakes in 3.5 core.  But who the fuck wouldn't?  That they failed to learn from materials after 3.5 is just sad.  One of the problems is the nature of "backwards compatibility."  The issue there is that this was confused for "Must be almost identical to 3.5."  Just look at the monk.  There were so many things added and changed, not just in homebrew, but in official books, be it Tashalatora or swordsage.  The monk was pretty obviously a terrible class, and yet barely anything was done to give it a leg up.  Why?  They were afraid of making it "too different."  Certainly, the PF Fighter is better then the 3.5 Core fighter, but it's nowhere near as good as the fighter once other 3.5 books are taken into account.  There's so many places to get influence from, and they just ignored it all.  Not even 3.5 - there's good ideas in 4e too that could've been taken into account, such as the SSSoD changes or inherent bonuses.  But again, ignored.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I think the core of these issues from from a somewhat toxic philosophy - that ol' double standard of magic vs mundane.  They've sadly subscribed fully to the idea that classes have to be divided between "magical" and "mundane" rather then having all classes be "protagonists."  Martial class ineptness and obsoleteness is built in.  I forget where it was - might've even been here - but I was reading a thread on monks, and someone mentioned that they always pictured monks in a sort of "Indian guru" manner - with one ability being levitation.  So the mechanic was bandied around, until several people stomped down on it with "Ok but he can't be better then the wizard at this."  Fuck you.  That's the dumbest statement ever.  Worse, it seems to be one shared by Paizo.  That isn't the only philosophical problem, either.  One lesson they haven't learned from WotC's blunders in both editions is that you can't balance combat and non-combat choices.  It works a bit better in games like Shadowrun or WoD where you're fully expected to be doing things other then combat, but D&D at it's core is still a game about killing things and taking their stuff.  When you make a person choose between an ability that helps you kill things and take their stuff, and an ability that gives a shitty bonus to skill, what do you think people will choose?

Someone, I think it was James has gone on record to say that casters are supposed to be superior. This was in response to either the trademark Pathfinder = Caster Edition, or one of the many Fighter vs Wizard threads. Explains a lot. At least they've succeeded at something, even if it is failure.

As for skills, well generally those come out of different resource pools. It's only when you crossover you have that problem.

And you know what?  I can't really blame Paizo for it.  By all accounts they're making out like bank robbers here.  The sad fact is, "not changing things" is what makes them the money.  Part of it is simply because a good dose of their fans don't care about the system, they just want "Not-4e."  Pathfinder has become a sort of citadel of solitude for some of the more reactionary WotC haters, the kind of folks who think THAC0 was a brilliant move that should've never been killed and buried like the shambling monstrosity it was.  People who hate Tome of Battle because "it just makes fighters wizards!"

I think a good part of the Paizils just flat out aren't playing D&D, despite their claims. They are playing freeform. Magical Tea Party, if you will. In such an environment the beatstick need only describe himself being viable, and it happens. Must be nice, but these people have no relevance to any real discussions.

And the Paizils do love to bitch about ToB. Heaven forbid beatsticks are allowed to be relevant.

I guess when you stare into the grognard, the grognard stares back.

Me, personally?  When I play or DM 3.5, I like using the Pathfinder core ruleset with "Whatever 3.x materials you want, though I retain the right to say no to them."

It seems that many of the few non Paizils over on Paizo agree with this.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:11:15 PM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure you two agree then, since he's saying it's not worth the money because, while it's better than 3.5 (strictly speaking) in several ways, the steps backward in a lot of the details (like Power Attack and Improved Trip) counter the improvements in the chassis, and besides creating enough new problems to counteract the ones they solved, they didn't even solve all the problems in 3.5. Maybe I'm wrong, but the two of you seem to be saying the same thing, if I'm reading your posts right.

Yeah, I don't think he read my post :p

Pathfinder as a base chassis is better then 3.5's base chassis in a few ways (though not in as many ways as it could be), and the actual core game is slightly more melee friendly.  However, 3.5 isn't just a core game, and the millisecond you include anything outside of the PHB from 3.5, Pathfinder falls out the window.

They learned from some of the mistakes in 3.5 Core...but didn't learn anything from the post-3.5 Core materials.

Also please do not for a single second think that anyone actually uses grognard to talk about a veteran or old soldier.  Come on, now.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

Uncreative insults for uncreative people.
Sunic, I know this request is difficult (and maybe even impossible), but please,

stop being an idiot.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »

Yeah, I don't think he read my post :p
It was a page of nonsensical drivel mashed between two layers of idiocy.  You bring up things that Pathfinder does better, when frankly Pathfinder doesn't do ANYTHING better.  They nerfed BARDS for fuck's sake.  Who the fuck thought that BARDS were too strong?  Wizards still win the fucking game at every level.  Their skill system makes class skills utterly meaningless, and as a result marginalizes that aspect of class balance (another not-insubstantial nerf to Bards and Rogues).  Combat Manuever shit is a joke.  How hard is it, really, to roll a Strength check?

They learned how to make fucktons of money by whoring out a franchise.  The only way what they're doing is different from what WotC is doing is that they're whoring out a franchise they don't actually own, which I must admit is a little impressive.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2010, 09:29:14 PM »
Epic necro Sunic, nearly 2 years.

I don't hate Pathfinder, and I don't hate the posters on the Paizo boards, not even the very dumb ones. I think we should jettison the term 'Paizil', there are good gamers on the Paizo boards and bad posters on every board, and we want these boards to welcome them when they are ready to take the next step in optimization.

My feelings to Pathfinder though is disappointment, with the APG there was the opportunity to put in a stealth fix for the weaker classes (Monk I'm looking at you) that wasn't followed through on. But I think Buhlman is intentionally trying to put out watered down material so he can cash in on 3.5's moldering corpse, which is probably the savviest thing he can do, I don't know why I was surprised.

What I find more perturbing is that there is no other contender to carry on 3.5's crown. Frank and K's Tomes have a lot of good ideas but are balanced at a power level I think is well above most games. Bad Axe games put out an also ran called Trailblazer, which, while interesting in some ways was pretty much dead on arrival.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »
It was a page of nonsensical drivel mashed between two layers of idiocy.  You bring up things that Pathfinder does better, when frankly Pathfinder doesn't do ANYTHING better.  They nerfed BARDS for fuck's sake.  Who the fuck thought that BARDS were too strong?  Wizards still win the fucking game at every level.  Their skill system makes class skills utterly meaningless, and as a result marginalizes that aspect of class balance (another not-insubstantial nerf to Bards and Rogues).  Combat Manuever shit is a joke.  How hard is it, really, to roll a Strength check?

They learned how to make fucktons of money by whoring out a franchise.  The only way what they're doing is different from what WotC is doing is that they're whoring out a franchise they don't actually own, which I must admit is a little impressive.

Ok the line where Pathfinder doesn't do anything better is bullshit. It may do some things worse but it doesn't do everything worse. Monks and core Bards suck in 3.5, they suck in Pathfinder too, if they suck in different ways it's not better or worse, if you make a change to an unusable option and it stays unusable you haven't made it any worse. I hate the chorus that pathfinder buffed the Wizard at lower levels, you'd have to be crazy to trade Glitterdust and Solid Fog for a few extra HP in core. Druids, likewise got nerfed with what they did to Wildshape. Of the big three Clerics got the smallest nerf with what they did too Turning and how they lost heavy armour proficiency. I've debunked the claim that the CMB system means a trip fighter trips less often, they trip more often. The skill system means that a fighter isn't a moron for putting ranks into UMD, and traits let classes add class skills, so the skill system isn't worse.

So Pathfinder is a big vat of 3.5 copypasta, a few small 'tweaks', a few things they broke and a mess of random changes. To most players it's going to be a very similar game experience to 3.5, so to them Pathfinder hasn't broken 3.5. In fact tonight, somewhere there's probably more than a few gaming groups getting together and enjoying it. So lets dial back the vitriol, the problem with Pathfinder is that it hasn't fixed the most obvious glaring holes in 3.5, so while it isn't horrendous it is pretty much unnecessary.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
I've now been in a few PF games now, one that is basically "Pathfinder plus whatever you want from 3.5", another that is PF Core and APG only and a few others that went not as far.

In the PF Core + APG only game, I played a Sorcerer after much debate between that and Wizard.  With less spells that exist (and thus missing out on less with less spells known), also noting that somehow Sorcerer got buffed (lolwut) while Wizards got sideways nerfed I decided on that.  The game lasted to level 9 and I single handedly beat every encounter (and I mean every single one) for the party, the whole way, from level 1 to level 9.  The only session I didn't break the game was when the party fought Ants the whole session, when I was level 1 and only had Sleep (and Silent Image) (It was the second session).  The game was completely destroyed by my presence and the other minor party members wandered around Coup de gracing my victims.  I ended the game King of Puerto Rico (yes I know that country doesn't normally have a King) and King of England.

In the pathfinder plus whatever you want from 3.5 game, it's still going on (we're level...13? something like that) I'm a Cleric, and it's pretty much exactly the same.  I see no reason to play anything in Pathfinder (even the "fighter" is a warblade).  The skill change effectively does nothing (it prevents you from putting 1 point in a bunch of things at first level to get the Trained Only thing going, whoopee?), with all those bonus feats casters are still better (assuming you allow non-PF feats).

I literally don't understand the fanboy nature of people who like Pathfinder.  Does 3.5 have a lot of problems?  Sure.  Is Pathfinder anything more than a glorified version of some guys house rules?  No.  And they're not even house rules I like.  Half of the book (and that's being generous about their creativity) is copy pasted from 3.5.  Monks still suck (the archer one almost does damage, but still doesn't do anything else!), Fighters are still pretty whatever, and you should still be a Wizard/Sorcerer.  Cleric spells kind of suck now, so don't be one of those, Druids totally suck now so who cares.  Just make a party of Wizards.  You will always win.

Edit: Considering a "Why Pathfinder Sucks" handbook.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:55:32 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.