Author Topic: Tier system for templates  (Read 87972 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Tier system for templates
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
The template seems to imply that the range of the mind control is only 5 miles, at the least that is definitely the range for the flayers to access your senses.  And since the template specifically indicates that there are such things as non-enslaved Voidminds, there must be a way to free yourself.

Not saying it is the best template ever, just that it is one I'm fond of.  Especially in arenas, where negative levels, ability damage, and mind affecting effects are thrown about quite a bit.

Ah, my fault. I was working from memory, and I thought that the range was unlimited.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »
I read the paragraph about seeing through the Voidmind's eyes as separate from the paragraph about domination and the paragraph about awareness of the Voidmind's condition. Thus, by my reading, there is a five-mile range on the senses, but no listed range on either of the other two. If there's a range on the domination, it's much easier to get around, but I always read the range as being unlimited.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
Perhaps this:

Voidmind, Enslaved - Tier 5
Voinmind, Freed - Tier 2 (or 3)

So if you are in a higher level game and/or work it into your backstory that the illithids have been slain, you're golden.  Otherwise, the template is somewhat pointless.  Unless it is an evil campaign and being the ooze-dripping slave of psycho-squids is up your alley.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »
I read the paragraph about seeing through the Voidmind's eyes as separate from the paragraph about domination and the paragraph about awareness of the Voidmind's condition. Thus, by my reading, there is a five-mile range on the senses, but no listed range on either of the other two. If there's a range on the domination, it's much easier to get around, but I always read the range as being unlimited.
I've read it this same way.

Verdict?

Unless it is an evil campaign and being the ooze-dripping slave of psycho-squids is up your alley.
then it's just disturbingly kinky.  :p
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:11:43 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
Another consideration: If there is a range on the domination and the sensing ability, then how high are the chances that the illithids would allow you to get out of its range (without heavy scrunity) in the first place? Those would be some pretty dumb illithids.

I can agree with Ith's split tier proposiion, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
Yep, they are definitely separate paragraphs, so the dominate might be unlimited.  Interesting little conflict though, the template gives immunity to mind-affecting spells.  Dominate Monster is a mind-affecting spell.

But since the Mind Flayer Host is a (Su) ability, but every other template ability is (Ex), cast AMF on yourself, and then plot the demise of your illithid masters without them being able to do anything about it. ;)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Yep, they are definitely separate paragraphs, so the dominate might be unlimited.  Interesting little conflict though, the template gives immunity to mind-affecting spells.  Dominate Monster is a mind-affecting spell.

But since the Mind Flayer Host is a (Su) ability, but every other template ability is (Ex), cast AMF on yourself, and then plot the demise of your illithid masters without them being able to do anything about it. ;)
That's hilarious. I'm sold, provided you get a way to eliminate the bond approved. If a player tried to pull the AMF approach on me, I'd pat him on the back for creativity and say the mind flayers had it coming. Planning for AMF is just common sense. :D

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Primordial Giant is an inherited template from Secrets of Xen'drik 79.

At-will SLA: invisibility, invisibility purge, or levitate.  CL is the giant's racial HD+1.
Stats: -4 STR, -2 CON, +4 INT, +4 CHA
SQ: All SLAs are +1 CL.  This is included in the at-will SLAs.
Skills: +2 Spellcraft and UMD
Favored Class: Base Creature's AND Warlock
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:26:57 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
Primordial Giant is an inherited template from Secrets of Xen'drik 79.

At-will SLA: invisibility, invisibility purge, or levitate.  CL is the giant's racial HD+1.
Stats: -4 STR, -2 CON, +4 INT, +4 CHA
SQ: All SLAs are +1 CL.  This is included in the at-will SLAs.
Skills: +2 Spellcraft and UMD
Favored Class: Base Creature's AND Warlock

Must be applied to a Giant, correct?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »
Yep.  Half-Giants make especially good targets, or maybe Half-Ogres.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
If you can pull it off...

Incarnate Construct (Warforged with expansion used on him) has giant type and -2 LA.  Combine with primordial giant for -3 LA.

I think incarnate constructs can breed.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
If you can pull it off...

Incarnate Construct (Warforged with expansion used on him) has giant type and -2 LA.  Combine with primordial giant for -3 LA.

I think incarnate constructs can breed.
Primordial giant is +0 LA, not -1.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Ah, my mistake.
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
Are there any +0 Giants? I bet there is. I'm going to find it.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
that's not quite what I was getting at.  the tier of the base class would be irrelevant.
I missed the word 'feature' :)

now I support your idea even more

Are there any +0 Giants? I bet there is. I'm going to find it.
Untemplated? And without LA? Probably. But they will almost surely have icky RHD  :banghead
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »
I was hoping Dragonlance would give me one. It didn't. I know of +1s but that's all I got  :(

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
The only giants I know of with < 1 LA are those created via incarnate construct and a larger-than-medium size.

Planetouched Handbook

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »
All right.  I updated the tiers with several more templates.  I think they're all properly placed.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
I would say Phrenic and Half-Fey would be Tier 1 with Magic in The Blood, Tier 2 without...

Hell, Phrenic is way too overpower to be at Tier 2, if i may indulge... Even without Magic in The Blood. You can find a great explanation here

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »
Proto-Creature from Bestiary of Krynn is a +0 LA template that has some pretty interesting changes. Notably, +4 Strength, +2 Con and Rage as a Barbarian of their HD. You lose your race's Su abilities and SLAs, but regardless, that's a pretty great template for a bruiser.

Edit: Tainted Blood Creature is not incredible, but for +1 LA it's +4 con, which would be helpful for those Arctic Mineral Warrior Dragonborn Mongrelfolk who think that they still need more con.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:09:24 PM by Negative Zero »