Author Topic: Tier system for templates  (Read 87838 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Tier system for templates
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
Shadow-Walker (Unapproachable East) is notable in that it allows you to enter a +2 PrC without resorting to Totemist dips or Shape Soulmeld. It also gives you scaling SLAs for +1 LA. In a game with buyoff, it's pretty good. Even without, I'd probably consider it. Probably not good enough to use outside of a Shadowlord build, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2010, 03:12:39 AM »
I uploaded a bunch of the templates to my imageshack account. Some will be better viewed in the albums section as multiple pages.

Now that Agita mentions it, I should add that and the Chameleon template and MAYBE the Shadow template, but I don't consider it well.

[-0800 09/02/2010 Tue 22:52:15]
The deed is done: all 3 aforementioned prospects have been uploaded, yet to be tagged and--if applicable--placed into albums.

Reference(s):
ImageShack(R) -     
nitecyper (member since 2007-10-16) - http://profile.imageshack.us/user/nitecyper?n=y
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:53:47 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
My (PDF) copy of Dragon Magazine 313 lists Half-Minotaurs ability adjustments as +4 str, +2 con, -2 int, +2 wis.
That's not even close to the +12 listed here.
Which is it?

Hrrm, slight threadomancy here.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
My (PDF) copy of Dragon Magazine 313 lists Half-Minotaurs ability adjustments as +4 str, +2 con, -2 int, +2 wis.
Which is it?

Hrrm, slight threadomancy here.

They also get the ability increases of growing a size category.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
Damned ninja bear. :P

Which is it?
It also increases the base creature's size category if it's Medium or smaller, with all associated bonuses. Among those is another +8 Str.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »
Aha!

I knew there was something I was missing.
Something tells me the author didn't remember that little fact when setting the LA. :lmao
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2010, 03:27:58 PM »
It's actually explicitly called out in the template that the ability score increases do stack with the ones listed.

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »
It also increases the base creature's size category if it's Medium or smaller, with all associated bonuses. Among those is another +8 Str.
Do note that that's only for when monsters go up a size category due to extra HD in their advancement listing.  It doesn't apply for other effects that change size, or Enlarge Person would be one of the most unbalanced 1st level spells ever.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
Do note that that's only for when monsters go up a size category due to extra HD in their advancement listing.  It doesn't apply for other effects that change size, or Enlarge Person would be one of the most unbalanced 1st level spells ever.
Well, Enlarge Person doesn't give those bonuses because it overwrites them within its spell description.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »
I like spellwarped when backed by a couple warlocks. I TPK'd a party once with a dungeoncrashing spellwarped minotaur being fueled by two pixie warlocks.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
I like spellwarped when backed by a couple warlocks. I TPK'd a party once with a dungeoncrashing spellwarped minotaur being fueled by two pixie warlocks.
ah, I get it! link is spellwarped! we finally found the reason he keeps navi around.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
Depending on your original size it could be more or less.

Well, Enlarge Person doesn't give those bonuses because it overwrites them within its spell description.
RAW yes, but that's sloppy editing of assuming everyone uses PHB races that are all medium...

Its a general chart used to help people figure out what happens with size changes. Its specific context was for monsters. Other things (for PCs) reference it iirc

And +8 / -2 / +4 / +2 / -1 won't save a wizard like sleep or mage armor, or shield or truestrike, etc
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 02:51:36 AM »
What tier is lich if I must pay 120,000 to craft my phylactery but have no LA?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
1. It's effectively free ability and skill bonuses, some neat abilities, and the undead type. and invulnerability.

gold is nothing

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:14 AM »
plus, psyref in some cost reducers.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
What tier is lich if I must pay 120,000 to craft my phylactery but have no LA?
Most templates go to tier 1 if the LA is waived.  There are a couple of exceptions (Vampire caps out around 2, usually, and Amphibious is already LA+0.  Voidmind just isn't worth it unless you like being the bitch of tentacles or your DM lets you be free)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »
Voidmind just isn't worth it unless you like being the bitch of tentacles or your DM lets you be free)
Or you can walk around in an antimagic field all day. ;)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2010, 02:23:04 AM »
Voidmind just isn't worth it unless you like being the bitch of tentacles or your DM lets you be free)
Or you can walk around in an antimagic field all day. ;)
Losing all your bling is still a major issue.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
Nobody mentioned the Blooded One Template from Unapprochable East?

Pro:
+2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int
Bonus Feat: Combat Reflexes
1/day War Cry(IIRC +1 attack for 2d6 rounds)

Con:
LA +1
-1 on attack rolls in daylight

How'd you rate it?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
Looks like a tier 2 or 3.  The ability adjustments, bonus feat, and natural armor are decent, but it's questionable on if you're better off or even with the lost class level.  War Cry is pretty lame.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.