Author Topic: Tier system for templates  (Read 87839 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Tier system for templates
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »
Figured this was a better place than the simple QA, what what should a DM do about a freed yellow husk zombie. There is no mention in this template of it being 'lost' while every other template that presumably can be lost does mention what happens.

It seems the DM would have to assign an LA. The CR is +0, so should the post-zombie LA be +0?  +1 seems way too steep for losing EVERYTHING you previously knew...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

sud

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Tier 4 templates
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
Also +1 template divine minion is tier one, give wildshape as a level 11 druid.
I think that divine minion is off the chart (depending on the associated deity, of course)

Clarification: Is this the "Mulhorandi divine minion" from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a?

As written, the at-will, unlimited, free-action(!) "wildshape as a level 11 druid" (in metal armor, no less) is limited to a few forms that depend on your deity, right?  None of the forms listed are particularly earth-shattering: lion, brown bear, large scorpion....  The only relevant detail relating to "level 11 druid'' is that it allows for tiny animal forms: cat, hawk, etc.

Also, the LA is +2 for any of the better animal forms.

By itself, it's not all that great: overwhelming at low levels, but a wash by midlevels. 

It becomes ridiculous only when mated with MoMF or some other "now let me change from kitty-cat to Elemental Monolith" capability, right?

just trying to understand...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2010, 09:30:21 PM »
On top of that it makes you an outsider (possibly with an alignment subtype) which is great for Fiend of Possession. It possibly lets you qualify for Wild feats and use them at will. And let's not forget insanities like Frozen Wild Shape.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:33:56 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Ian Frost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2010, 11:09:36 PM »
If I'm not mistaken it also lets you heal as if with a full nights rest, at will, as a free action   :)
Quote from: Hate of the Cobra article
Fast Wild Shape (Su): A divine minion can wild shape as an 11th-level druid into one or more animal forms that depend on the deity it serves (divine minions of Set also have a vermin form). The divine minion can use this ability at will, can change form as a free action, and can spend time in animal form indefinitely. They prefer to keep their shapechanging abilities secret so that they can use them to surprise their enemies in combat. Unlike a druid, minions can use this ability even if they're wearing metal armor.
Quote from: SRD
Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:20:45 AM by Ian Frost »

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »
Has anyone mentioned or seen the Abomination Dragonspawn template from Bestiary of Krynn?

For +1 LA you could potentially have:  Barbarian rage, fly speed, burrow speed or 2 extra legs PLUS four of the following (There are more also, but I feel like these are the best of the bunch): SR, +1 Effective Sorcerer level, Blur as an extraordinary ability, +4 to Str/Dex/Con, 2 extra dice on breath weapons, fast heal 3.

Think it is easily potentially tier 2, but on average, tier 3.

There is, however, ye olde poorly thought out clause:  "Feel free to add any mutations desired..."  RAW that catapults it into Tier 0 Wizard Fiat status.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
The main issue is that it's irritatingly random - doomwarding helps a bit (since it lets you reroll anything), but otherwise it's just not consistent enough.  Theoretically you could get like +2 or +4 effective sorcerer levels, but the odds are way against it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »
How optimized could we make the rolling process?

And yes, getting a mish-mosh of abilities that don't work together at all (like getting an improved claw attack - which then gets REPLACED by a slam attack - or having barbarian rage with effective sorcerer levels) makes it probably around tier 3 most of the time.  Still, it's possible to get +4 effective sorcerer levels so it's worth noting.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Just wait to decide what your going to make til after you see what random things you rolled?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »
Why is Phrenic Tier 2 and Half-Fey Tier 1?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
Half-Fey is Tier 2 and always has been.  You must be looking at Unseelie Fey
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »
Ah.  I r teh suk.

I'd put them in Tier 1, personally.  At least en par w/ Mineral Warrior.  Particularly Phrenic: those abilities get auto-augmented to HD/level.

Actually, I take that back...  Would you consider redefining Tier 1?  If I weren't playing a spellcaster, I'd never play a White Dragonspawn.  Nor would I play a Feral Mineral Warrior if I were playing a spellcaster.  Great templates, though, but I can't see them as being used every time they're available.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:00:17 PM by jameswilliamogle »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
That too is covered before I define the tiers.  I state that the rankings are all based off of the assumption the template's strengths are being played to.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Well, I guess I'll just go suck on a bag of rats or something...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
Half-Fey is Tier 2 and always has been.  You must be looking at Unseelie Fey

It's better with feytouched 0/Halffey transition, but that's a rather cheesy exploit.
Planetouched Handbook

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2010, 06:52:48 PM »
id like to suggest that Shadow Walker

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
Eh, it's ok, but the SLAs aren't fantastic.
Planetouched Handbook

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
true ... but it is only +1 LA and it is Acquired

:D

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »
I think Tier 2 is where it caps.  You don't actually get a good variety of abilities, but it is worth a class level for a sneaky-type (who prefer darker areas anyway, usually).  Tier 2 or 3 is where it belongs.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
Maybe its worth mentioning the Magic in the Blood feat?  As some templates really, really shine with it?

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »
Logically, this makes no sense, but I think it works RAW. 
Incarnate Construct Warforged with the Half Minotaur, Primordial Giant, and White Dragonspawn. 
For no LA, that's +4 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha, and +2 Wis, large size, +9 nat armor, flight, +1 caster level to SLAs, some SLAs, scent, track, a gore attack, darkvision, skill bonuses, and of course, +4 to escape a maze spell.
The only part i'm not sure about is the white dragonspawn, because dragonlance is not one of books I have.