Author Topic: Who can beat Azathoth?  (Read 19240 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Who can beat Azathoth?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
He doesn't seem to hit very hard.  Maybe a d2 crusader with a little warblade mixed in for IHS and the Diamond Mind counters could survive losing initiative and then one-shot him in return.  That is infinite damage, but very one-sided, I wouldn't call it infinitely powerful.  Just has one very good trick.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds him.

This is why deities need Supreme Initiative.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds him.

This is why deities need Supreme Initiative.

Yeah but one-shotting him with a little plastic cocktail sword is funnier.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Beguiler 20+Ray of Stupidity?

EDIT: Wait, no, immunity to ability damage (and drain) and immunity to mind-affecting effects.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:48:04 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
The uber-charger. He was on my mind Figured I'd throw him out there. Not the one by Otto, the OTHER one.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »

... This is why deities need Supreme Initiative.

Yeah, any Greater Deity has 16 to 20 SDA's , but so far they're undefined.

"Special Attacks: Int drain, wail of madness, alter reality, divine celerity, squamous blast"
... could be trouble.

???

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »

Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »

Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

If you can't kill something that just sits around drooling waiting to be killed and never ever uses any of its abilities, then yes, I supose your character wouldn't count as decent.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
I'm reminded of the World Record damage build that used all those Dirty Tricks. Specifically, the part where the hardest part was to prevent an infinite loop.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
How fun would it be if he gets killed by Magic Missles.

sure I just need a way past his, I was acutally thinking of updating that build with War Mage levels to make it deadlier (+2 damage per magic missile is nothing to sneeze at when firing ~500 missiles per round).

EDIT:
However, wouldn't grappling him to death with tentacles be more fun?
Master Spellthief 1/Wizard 3/Arcane Spellcasting classes (including knight of the weave) 5/Sublime Chord 2/Ultimate Magus 9

Should have a caster level around the 10k. Prepare for the tentacle-y doom.
You'll need to get rid of his freedom of movement buff from alter reality though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:52:07 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
A Maximized Empowered ray of clumsiness (Spell Compendium) could bring his DEX to 1.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].

Drammor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
It looks like have people have found plenty of ways to beat Azzie.

Who wants to try rebuilding him so that none of the builds mentioned could do it in less than 100 rounds, without making him unbeatable?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
It looks like have people have found plenty of ways to beat Azzie.

Who wants to try rebuilding him so that none of the builds mentioned could do it in less than 100 rounds, without making him unbeatable?

Combat doesn't last that long.  If you're ten minutes in and haven't beaten your opponent, you lost or you left.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
I think it'd be pretty simple. Change his SR to spell immunity, and make it proper "No, not even Conjuration (creation), fuck you wizards" - let it be overcome by a successful rank check. Allow him to define gravity subjectively within 1 mile per rank - he is a primal manifestation of existence, after all. Hood builds should be sufficiently fucked with when they fall away from him, although I'll admit I haven't studied them very well. Give him an appropriately high Int score, coupled with a special ability that goes something like this:

"Blank Slate (Ex): Although its Intelligence score might indicate otherwise, Azathoth is actually quite stupid. It is incapable of logical reasoning or foresight, and the closest thing it has to a mind is a roiling chaos of ideas, ever clashing. Nevertheless, Azathoth knows virtually everything about the Universe; it is simply incapable of reasoning with that knowledge. At the same time, Azathoth has every thought it is possible to have, and several that it isn't; but these are unconnected and fleeting. While it reacts to its immediate situation with all the apparent tactical cunning a creature of its Intelligence score might display, this is instinctive and simply a manifestation of the myriad of thoughts that compose this deity. Thus, it will never plan in advance a cunning strategy to defeat a foe or defend itself, nor will it consider the ramifications of any action for longer than 1 minute into the future, nor does it seem to remember events more than 1 minute into the past. For the purposes of any check, roll, or other mechanical purpose other than a Knowledge check or adjudicating ability damage, drain, or penalties (assuming one is somehow applied to it despite its normal immunities), Azathoth has Intelligence 2. Furthermore, because it cannot realistically be said to have a mind, as the term is typically understood, it is treated as Mindless whenever it would be beneficial to it."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:56:36 PM by Bauglir »

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
If gods would actually use their powers, they become unbeatable. Alter Reality is all any deity needs to stop time forever. Aside from that, they really do just sit around, waiting to die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »

To be fair, it's a really poorly built greater deity.

Drammor

• Email
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
Combat doesn't last that long.  If you're ten minutes in and haven't beaten your opponent, you lost or you left.

When dealing with an entity as vast as a deity, something about that just doesn't seem right to me.

spacemonkey555

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »

When dealing with an entity as vast as a deity, something about that just doesn't seem right to me.

But mortals killing deities is ok?

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:19 AM »

But mortals killing deities is ok?
Epic mortals in Epic battles with Epic support, Epic Items and Epic Preparation.... Yeah, that's ok. But some well-build lvl 15 chars that use the deities weakness to insta-kill him... is NOT ok! But that's what happens if you fight random-monsters with optimized builds. A well-optimized deity w/o using cheese will surely kill any non-cheesy pre-Epic-char.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »
How fun would it be if he gets killed by Magic Missles.

sure I just need a way past his, I was acutally thinking of updating that build with War Mage levels to make it deadlier (+2 damage per magic missile is nothing to sneeze at when firing ~500 missiles per round).

Eager weapons and Knowledge devotion also effect every damage roll, and each missle has a different damage roll. Really good with Empower.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.