Author Topic: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened  (Read 298049 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
I saw this item in Drow of the Underdark which I thought was pretty good:
Bracers of Murder: 8000gp, +2 attack/damage vs flat-footed, +2 Death Attack DC, reroll 1's for sneak attack
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »
Two items that I didn't see (read: I Ctrl+F'd and they didn't come up) are Keepcool Salve and Liquid Sunlight.

Keepcool Salve (Sandstorm 102): 50 gp, Increases your level of heat protection by one and grants a +1 circumstance bonus to Fort saves against damage from hot environs. The item entry doesn't state when the effect would wear off, so by RAW, once you lube yourself (heh), you have the protection forever. I'm not sure how if at all the heat protection stacks, but as it explicitly doesn't give a bonus, but "increases your level of heat protection", my guess would be that it does. If so, an easy 200 gp buys you complete protection from any hot environments short of burning air forever. Neat.

Liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel 110): 20 gp. Now, this thing is pretty bad. It's supposed to be thrown or used as a sling bullet against stuff that's vulnerable to light. What it does to said stuff is nowhere near worth mentioning. The easily overlooked first seven words of the entry, however, are. According to these seven words, it gives off light as a torch at all times. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this little trinket is essentially a smaller, lighter Everburning Torch, for 18% of the price. Also, an item that is better when you don't use it. Beautiful.
Be careful not to crush them in your pocket, though - I hear sunlight can make some nasty stains. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:29:45 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

randcortin

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »
Gloves of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk, 3,600 gp) True Strike 1/day and functions like gloves of storing

Glove of Storing (DMG 257, 10,000 gp)  A handy way to conceal that lance or magic staff until you need it.

I assume that the Gloves of the Master Strategist have some limitations on its storage, compared to a Glove of Storing?
Otherwise I can't see any reason not to use them over GoS, given that they grant a 1/day True Strike and costs 6,400 gp less...

The Gloves of the Master Strategist are from the Ghostwalk book, which is used in a separate campaign setting, as opposed to being in the DMG for Glove of Storing. So if you can pick items and stuff from other settings, they're strictly better; most people, though, are limited in that respect, and I think that's the reason for the price difference.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
Maybe I missed them (I posted them in the original thread on wizards), but I don't see Horseshoes of the Flame from savage speices.  They add an unlisted bonus of +10 Int, +6 Cha, +2 Dex, fly speed 90 good, and 1d4 fire damage on hooves.  They takes some work, but are huge bonuses for 30,240 gp.  Make use of the item crafting rules for different slots (45k gp) or slotless (60k gp) with a little Use Magic device roll to emulate the horse race.  They worked great on a beguiler and psion characters I have run.  Now if anyone had an awakend horse build.... :o

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
Okay, those are so getting abused by my wizard :D

EDIT: The bonuses only applied when transformed in a Nightmare, a bit difficult to cast my spells that way unless I spend 2 feats...
Works fine for Psions though :P

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:07:48 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Maybe I missed them (I posted them in the original thread on wizards), but I don't see Horseshoes of the Flame from savage speices.  They add an unlisted bonus of +10 Int, +6 Cha, +2 Dex, fly speed 90 good, and 1d4 fire damage on hooves.  They takes some work, but are huge bonuses for 30,240 gp.  Make use of the item crafting rules for different slots (45k gp) or slotless (60k gp) with a little Use Magic device roll to emulate the horse race.  They worked great on a beguiler and psion characters I have run.  Now if anyone had an awakend horse build.... :o
...what the fuck?

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
Hey Tshern, about my Wizard in your PbP campaign...

:P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
Hey Tshern, about my Wizard in your PbP campaign...

I was about to get started with that; it's banned.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »
Good to see you still have some sanity :)

Besides, it wouldn't be until level 15, when I would have access to the DCFS anyway :P

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »
I meant your character is banned. Pack your bags and get out of my internet(z).

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »
Yeah, obviously...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
I think I'm going to steer clear of including the Horseshoes; applying them to something other than an ordinary horse requires some fairly debatable tactics. 

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
There's always the Legendary Horse Wild Shape.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »
There's always the Legendary Horse Wild Shape.

Well, yeah, but I think it's a stretch to call that an "ordinary horse."  It's a fun find, but given that it's 3.0 and requires a pretty lenient DM, I think it's best to leave it off the shelves.  Bunko doesn't want to get sued because someone nailed a pair of horseshoes to his feet. ;)

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 02:55:49 AM »

For what it's worth, couldn't you get away with that on a centaur build?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 04:17:13 AM »
For what it's worth, couldn't you get away with that on a centaur build?

If you could convince the DM that a centaur is a "normal horse."

The issue I see with using it as a wizard with UMD is that each activation lasts for 7 hours.  You need 8 hours of rest to prepare spells.  Therefore, I don't see how you can prepare bonus spells due to INT off of it.  Using it to add 5 to your save DCs via a DC 25 UMD check seems to work though if you can get 4 legs.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »
Find the DM a picture of a farm located somewhere in Ukraine, I am sure you could find some tasty centaur pictures to prove your case.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »
*Writes down Centaur as possible Polymorph option*

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »

The issue I see with using it as a wizard with UMD is that each activation lasts for 7 hours.  You need 8 hours of rest to prepare spells.  Therefore, I don't see how you can prepare bonus spells due to INT off of it.  Using it to add 5 to your save DCs via a DC 25 UMD check seems to work though if you can get 4 legs.
That's what UMD is for, to emulate the horse race :P

Also, with the right items, you only need 1 or 2 hours of sleep IIRC :)

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »

That's what UMD is for, to emulate the horse race :P

Also, with the right items, you only need 1 or 2 hours of sleep IIRC :)

Relaxing bedroll.