Author Topic: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened  (Read 297651 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Re: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »
Some stuff I love from the MIC:

Anklet of Translocation: cheap, 2/day teleport as a swift action. You're free from grapples 2/day, or you can get closer to your enemy for a charge or full attack.

Rod of Bodily Restoration: heal a ton of physical ability damage, on a charge/day basis. No party should be without.

Orb of Mental Renewal: Like the rod, but for mental abilities. Together, the orb and rod make a dirty joke, one every party needs (WAAAAY better than lesser restoration).

Horn of Plenty: 12,000 gp is steep, but if the entire party chips in, it can be had early. All-day immunity to poison and fear is pretty sexy, and the temporary hitpoints are just gravy.

Amulet of Fortune Prevailing: Cheaper than a mantle of second chances, and you almost always use the mantle on blown saving throws anyway.

Slightly more specialized stuff -

Gloves of the Starry Sky: 3/day convert a spell to a magic missile, even a divine one or if you've banned evocation, and it uses your caster level. Only thing you can't do is metamagic. Still, it's handy at every level, especially for the price.

Badge of Valor: Awesome for a bard. You cast inspirational boost and sing, then as an immediate action right after your turn, activate the badge. That's +2/+2 on your inspire courage right there. Pretty sexy.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker: Great if you don't have pounce. 1/day get in position to make a full attack. Not awesome, but cheap, especially if you use the magic item stacking rules.

Chronocharm of the Laughing Rogue: 1/day reroll a disable device roll. Excellent (that's the other reason people like rerolls).

Blindfold of True Darkness: Worth mentioning since it's so much better than all the other some-kind-of-blindsense items in the MIC. 9,000 for blindSIGHT, limited to only 30', but putting it on means you ignore concealment, invisibility, gaze attacks, etc. Most melee types should consider getting one.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
As a note, I love putting that blindfold on melee characters that are riding an intelligent mount.  The mount gets you close enough, then you kill them without worry about mirror image and stuff.

JaronK

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
This thread should be a handbook, or at least stickied.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 12:34:56 AM »
It's in the Handy Threads, so that's good enough.

aund

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
gauntlets of war have been nerfed in an cc errata btw. that +1/+3 is now an enhancement bonus and not really worth it even with a +2 weapon.
SR/DR is to DnD what AC/DC is to Hard Rock

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »
Another item I suggest for anyone who can work it into their story is actually a location. In the magic locations part of Complete Scoundrel is the Otyugh Hole. Live in a stanky hole for a week, pay 3,000 gp, and get Iron Will as a bonus feat. Iron Will is a great feat for lots of people, but few people want to spend one of their precious regular feats on it. Technically, it's more expensive than a straight-up +2 resistance bonus to will saves oughta be, but it stacks with everything and even serves as a prerequisite for some PrCs (notably, the incantatrix).

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:39 AM »
Here's one I'm surprised isn't being stocked

If you can make a DC 25 UMD check to emulate the night hag race, you get etherealness at will, a +2 resistance bonus to all saves, and immunity to diseases.  An absolute steal for only 3600 gp.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:04:27 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 06:06:43 AM »
I would think it would be 3600 to buy, as 1800 is the sell price.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 09:04:15 AM »
I would think it would be 3600 to buy, as 1800 is the sell price.
True.  Lemme fix that.
Planetouched Handbook

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

If you can make a DC 25 UMD check to emulate the night hag race, you get etherealness at will, a +2 resistance bonus to all saves, and immunity to diseases.  An absolute steal for only 3600 gp.
I love it but I have to say I've never dared present it to a DM to try and buy it. ;)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »

I love it but I have to say I've never dared present it to a DM to try and buy it. ;)
I suppose you could also buy a scroll of planar binding for 1,650 gp, summon a night hag (they're outsiders), and kill it.  They only have a +1 bonus to charisma, so you probably can contain them with a diagram fairly easily.
Planetouched Handbook

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:58 AM »
I suppose you could also buy a scroll of planar binding for 1,650 gp, summon a night hag (they're outsiders), and kill it.  They only have a +1 bonus to charisma, so you probably can contain them with a diagram fairly easily.
My point was more that gaining Etherealness at will for so cheap might to lead to DMG-throwing. :D
An artificer shouldn't have much trouble crafting one either.

(Just to be clear, I agree it deserves a spot in the store ! But it's not all for campaigns, not unlike the Dust of Sneezing.)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »
For the most part, it's only the artificer and warlock who can get the ability to take 10 on UMD, requiring a +15 in order to succeed every time. Otherwise you need +24 to keep from occasionally using charges, so the heartstone is a charged item for the majority of characters, isn't it? Plus UMD is cross-class for most characters. Rogue, warlock, artificer, bard, factotum, and who else get it as in-class?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »
Dragon Fire Adept does too, IIRC.

JohnOSevens

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
+1 for the Heartstone. I had a halfling Bard once who made amazing use of it doing exactly that.
John O'Sevens
formerly SageBahamut on 339

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:50 AM »
For the most part, it's only the artificer and warlock who can get the ability to take 10 on UMD, requiring a +15 in order to succeed every time. Otherwise you need +24 to keep from occasionally using charges, so the heartstone is a charged item for the majority of characters, isn't it? Plus UMD is cross-class for most characters. Rogue, warlock, artificer, bard, factotum, and who else get it as in-class?

There's a spell in Complete Mage (Magic Insight or something) that gives a +4 insight bonus to UMD, and allows you to take 10 on UMD checks too..
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
Ummm... I think you might've forgotten to mention the primary benefit of the Dark template granted by the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, which is its Hide in Plain Sight ability...
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2008, 06:01:51 AM »
You may note that this thread hasn't been updated since August.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »
No, it hasn't; I'll try to clean it up ASAP.  Lots to update.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
No, it hasn't; I'll try to clean it up ASAP.  Lots to update.
I know the feeling. Beginning tomorrow I ought to have more time, so give me a PM if you feel you need help with this.

Handy Links