Author Topic: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened  (Read 297626 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Bunko's Bargain Basement Reopened
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

From the cat special, the collar of perpetual attendance is unlimited unseen servant for only 2k.

The "Don't Mind Me" feat would be interesting if someone adapted the Killer Gnome for, let say... a Tibbit...
This is becoming your favorite article, isn't it?

To be fair, it opens up a whole slew of wonderful RP possibilities and makes taking a cat familiar much more appealing.  I'd always wished they had done something like this to make the familiars more important to play beyond ubersquishy exp sponges.
Umm... while I agree on the XP sponge thing (tis' a stupid mechanic. Why don't druids have to suffer this BS?)... I disagree about familiars not being useful. You just need to be creative, and look at their abilities. It's like having a whole other set of actions you can take in a round. Especially with Share Spells, or if you take UMD ranks or something, they really can be quite powerful.

Oh, I agree with you, I just haven't ever gotten to play in a high enough level game to really make use of share spells, UMD, etc, and I'm typically rather frightened to risk the Exp loss.
If it happens a lot, why not go nuts crafting? You'll be behind the party in XP anyway, might as well make it a whole level of difference and earn extra XP that way.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #381 on: October 06, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
Has anyone mentioned the Codex Anathema? Lords of Madness page 14. It's a Tome of Clear Thought +2 with a 12500 GP discount that also grants 5 ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering) and  2 ranks in 2 other Knowledge skills. It takes 2 points of your Wisdom, however. Not that great on its own, but as a template for similar items, it could be invaluable; gain free ranks in your favorite skills, boost your key ability scores, and the tradeoff is a penalty to a score you don't care about. Anybody know what the cost for the skill ranks is so that we can extrapolate the cost of the ability scores?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #382 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
Skill ranks? No clue.

To add my own question, are there any other items that grant skill ranks?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #383 on: October 08, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
Not to the best of my knowledge. There isn't a standard pricing for feat-granting items, is there? There's a feat that gives five skill points.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #384 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
Not to the best of my knowledge. There isn't a standard pricing for feat-granting items, is there? There's a feat that gives five skill points.

There is a "standard" price for feats. 10,000 GP, according to almost all items that do that.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
There is a "standard" price for feats. 10,000 GP, according to almost all items that do that.
Extrapolating from this and making custom items however is...  :lmao

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #386 on: October 08, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
So, if we assume that it grants 9/5 of a feat (since it grants 9 skill points), that means 18000 GP. I did the math wrong earlier; it's actually a 17500 GP discount from the baseline. Subtract that from the total cost of the item for 19500, which suggests that WotC thinks that decreasing a score by 2 is worth compensation of 29500 GP, so each 1 point is 19750 (assuming it's linear, because that's the least broken interpretation since I plan to scale this up to 5). So, logically, you can buy a tome that decreases your Strength and Dex by 5 each and gives you a +5 Inherent bonus to Wis, and then be a druid and laugh because the game owes you 60000 GP. I'm being a bit silly, aren't I?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #387 on: October 08, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
Arms and Equipment, p128 .... said 10000gp for feats as a Base cost .... it could be higher depending on the feat

certain Legendary Locations(Complete Scoundrel) give feats ... and have a GP value associated, even though you dont actually buy anything

:D

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
certain Legendary Locations(Complete Scoundrel) give feats ... and have a GP value associated, even though you dont actually buy anything

This, I presume, is because if you don't put an explicit price on something players assume they are permitted to start with it for free no matter what. See also Loredrake. :)

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #389 on: October 08, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
depends on the starting level ... you are supposed to actually have had your character go to the location to benifit from it

:D

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #390 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:04 AM »

Was looking through books and this thread for equipment ideas. The prices for Drow House Insignia were updated in Drow of the Underdark (pg 99). They are now:
1: 620 gp
2: 3300 gp
3: 8200 gp

dt

• Noob
« Reply #391 on: October 23, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Robe of the Vagabond (Complete Champion, 141). +1 luck to AC and all saves, 6k gp. Cheaper than Cat's Eye Brooch, which only gives the bonus to saves.

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2010, 05:17:05 AM »
Some of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar from Tome of Magic have really cheap effects and they dont take up item slots, like

Savnok: You move at your normal speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Price 2,000 gp.

Eligor: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Ipos: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Marchosias: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Paimon: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Normally nonslot items cost twice the Gp, so these are a steal if you are strapped for slots.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
Some of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar from Tome of Magic have really cheap effects and they dont take up item slots, like

Savnok: You move at your normal speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Price 2,000 gp.

Eligor: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Ipos: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Marchosias: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Paimon: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Price 16,000 gp.

Normally nonslot items cost twice the Gp, so these are a steal if you are strapped for slots.
They also cause you to be influenced by the vestige contained in them though, so you display something on your body and can't/must take certain actions.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »

They also cause you to be influenced by the vestige contained in them though, so you display something on your body and can't/must take certain actions.
A few quirks are a low price to pay for slotless items. Let's see if I have them from memory...
Savnok makes you stubborn, and you refuse to take off your armor. Not like you were planning on taking it off, right? After all, 500 gp fixes the problem of sleeping in armor.
Eligor makes you be nice to people.
Ipos makes you think highly of yourself and educate the masses at every opportunity.
Marchosias... I don't remember his influence/sign, to be honest.
Paimon makes you flamboyant, lascivous, and a bit ugly.

Seems fine enough to me.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »
-Hat of Disguise, which you're probably already getting anyway, hides the marks, IIRC.
-IIRC You can explicitly disable the tooth, presumably ending the influence.

-Str isn't as much of a dump stat for an artificer as you may think, unless you have a tooth of savnok. (My DM put serious caps on the CL of items available for purchase... :/)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

A few quirks are a low price to pay for slotless items. Let's see if I have them from memory...
Savnok makes you stubborn, and you refuse to take off your armor. Not like you were planning on taking it off, right? After all, 500 gp fixes the problem of sleeping in armor.
Eligor makes you be nice to people.
Ipos makes you think highly of yourself and educate the masses at every opportunity.
Marchosias... I don't remember his influence/sign, to be honest.
Paimon makes you flamboyant, lascivous, and a bit ugly.

Seems fine enough to me.
Well, unless you put all the teeth in at once. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
To save that much money? Id be a sly debonair, self important, flamboyant ugly gay man in pink armor that I refuse to take off (cause its so prettiful with those rhinestones and the glitter) that is kind to his fellows.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
To save that much money? Id be a sly debonair, self important, flamboyant ugly gay man in pink armor that I refuse to take off (cause its so prettiful with those rhinestones and the glitter) that is kind to his fellows.
Ugly in attitude, not in appearance. Can't be kind and ugly to a person at the same time.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
Ugly in attitude, not in appearance. Can't be kind and ugly to a person at the same time.

Therefore, obviously they cancel each other out!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!