Author Topic: Overpowered Rogue Needed!  (Read 23471 times)

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
Overpowered Rogue Needed!
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:29:23 AM »
Hi to all.

First, the conditons of the play:

a- A maze
b- lots of enemies (mostly zombies, demons and golems)
c- lots of traps
d- lots of illusions and misleading
e- You're always alone (so ... no flanking for SA)

The character building procedure:
a- No more than two base classes
b- One prestige class
c- Gotta be rogue-ish tiefling(read as: "have a crime lord past and sneaking abilities")
d- 10th level

Okay,
I do not need a huge build. I just need directions.
I'm inclined to take Invisble blade so i can sneak attack people up front and take the substitution thing that let me sneak attack constructs and the like.

I also thought of Exemplar so i can hide anytime and even running...that would help in the fights.

I know a setting like this almost cries for a spellcaster but i can't have one (except the non-full casters like the ranger and paladin)

The problem is i can't decide what character to make...the guy gotta be flawless for god's sake! That's impossible for a rogue isn't it?  :rolleyes

Hmm...so what i really need is:
A) How can i maximize my chances of survival?
B) Focus on battle or in a utility build?
Good gaming for you.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Overpowered Rogue Needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »
Rules to follow if you're a combat rogue.

1: Two. Weapon. Fighting. Preferably with Kusari-Gamas. Except:
2: Invisible Blade's nice for 1 on 1 fights. Free sneak attacks every round.
3: If you don't want the Special abilities, Prestige early and often, take Daring outlaw and such.

Invisible Blade is probably the best combat fighter Rogue prestige class, so take that. You could combine it with daring outlaw and have a higher BAB if you can deal with losing the special abilities, so a solid build would be

Rogue 3/Swashbuckler4/Invisible Blade3. I have no idea what the qualifications are and whether or not you meet them. I don't really care. If you took improved TWF at 9th level (earliest), you have 4 attacks, each of which should do 5d6 of sneak attack, for a max of 20d6 per round. If you can sneak attack, that is. That's pretty good.

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
Yeah...that was my first thought. I'm just afraid of one thing: Won't i miss the skills and etc? Or can i do just as well if i multiclass into swash?

Just one thing:
Feinting just make the target lose dex bonus for your next melee attack. So if i feinted with the Invisible blade ability i would make one strike with extra damage and the others would be normal ones. Because if i'm right that ability of his has been errated. Am i right?
Good gaming for you.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »
It's only dubiously available (check with your DM), but here's a link to the Invisible Blade in its original 10 level format, as written by the author:

[spoiler]http://wakinglands.com/htm_files/the_prestige_classes_page.htm[/spoiler]
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:04:56 AM »
Yeah...that was my first thought. I'm just afraid of one thing: Won't i miss the skills and etc? Or can i do just as well if i multiclass into swash?

Just one thing:
Feinting just make the target lose dex bonus for your next melee attack. So if i feinted with the Invisible blade ability i would make one strike with extra damage and the others would be normal ones. Because if i'm right that ability of his has been errated. Am i right?
Feint is next attack only.

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »
But...

You guys do think this is the best option then?
Go all for martial and sneaks...
Good gaming for you.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »
For a Rogue, just about. SA is the only thing Rogues have going for them these days.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »
Never play an Invisible Blade without the Surprising Riposte feat.

Look into getting an ambush feat or two as well.  Being a pocket de-buffer is always fun.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:47:50 AM by Operation Shoestring »

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 05:39:38 AM »
Someone's gotta say it, might as well be me: Swordsage 10. Another option might be: Wildshape Ranger 14/Scout 3/Master of Many Forms 3.

Oshi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 05:57:49 AM »
I like Swordsage 10, or maybe if you want a more trap savvy type rogue maybe... Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 2/Trapsmith 5 ?

trapsmith is dungeonscape btw, has a rather nice spell list imo.

edit, maybe scout would be better than swashbuckler, if you spot an enemy set up a hallway full of booby traps and get em to run through it. Golems and Undead being mindless shouldnt know any better. all the while, you would be shooting at them. Id recommend scout5 but~ they dont have the class skills for trapsmith.
Spend your money on golembane or zombie-bane bolts (for the bolt boobie trap, and old fashioned shooting i guess).... such things exist right? I dunno if that'd be meta-gaming or not.

Other builds will likely be "stronger"... in combat at least
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:27:55 AM by Oshi »
"The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies,
to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth,
to see those dear to them bathed in tears,
to clasp to your bosom their wivesand daughters"
-GENGHIS KHAN

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 06:42:30 AM »
Get the Augment Crystals (Magic Item Compendium) that allow you to Sneak Attack Undead and Constructs  :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 07:15:46 AM »
Play a swift hunter?
Similar damage as a rogue and can apply sneak attack to things immune to it via favorite enemy.  Can be very rogue-like in flavor.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »
The only thing about a swift hunter, and I realized that after I reccomended it was the fact that he'll be in a maze and that he'll have a hard time activating skirmish in there if the hallways are crowded. But yeah, it'd be great for fighting undead and constructs and plants and such (and as a DM I would throw completely unexpected things like plants are you).

A swift hunter build I was working on was dwarf scout 6/ranger 11/lion totem barbarian 1/fighter (or anything that grants heavy armor prof) 1/battlesmith 1. Two weapon fighter style + oversized two weapon fighting and warhammers, pounce, wisdom to damager with warhammers. I was looking for a way to slip swordsage 2 in there for wisdom to armor class.

Nemesis will be your best friend if you can get something completely general like Favored Enemy (Evil) or (Caster).

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the inputs guys...
shall start workking right away  ;)
Good gaming for you.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
See how Rogues can get a feat as a special ability? See how it doesn't require the usual prereqs?

Perfect Two Weapon Fighting please, and thanks.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:01 PM »
I'd skip the invisible blade. Just because you picked up an item so you can SA those zombies does not mean the bleed effect works. So all you will get out of that PrC is +3d6 to a very limited melee weapon selection, easier feinting made redundant by mindless undead/golems, and a small boost to AC.

Just take some swordsage levels instead. you'll net +2d6 SA off a stance, greater invisibility & a fire elemental to flank with as maneuvers, full wis to AC, insane saves, etc.

There is a collar of something that grants the Dark Template for 15 minutes per day, with a high hide check and the granted HiPS you can just skip feinting to begin with.

Honestly, smack your DM up side the head while you're at it. What kind of sick person makes someone solo a game as a rogue but tosses hordes of undead and golems? You should play play a fallen paladin instead or something.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »
The only thing about a swift hunter, and I realized that after I reccomended it was the fact that he'll be in a maze and that he'll have a hard time activating skirmish in there if the hallways are crowded. But yeah, it'd be great for fighting undead and constructs and plants and such (and as a DM I would throw completely unexpected things like plants are you).

I would have suggested "up the walls" there, but then you'd have to waste yet another feat on talented. :( If you've got featslots left, a swift hunter in a maze with "up the walls" would definitly be worth it.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
Or instead of wasting two feat slots so you can remain on the ground at the end of your turn you could spend less than 5k on Slippers of Spider Climbing for 100 rounds of 'can't touch this'...
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »
Um, those things are skill tricks. Not feats.

With that said, please look up Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis and Balancing Lorecall. You will need UMD for the latter.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Oshi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
There is a collar of something that grants the Dark Template for 15 minutes per day, with a high hide check and the granted HiPS you can just skip feinting to begin with.

IIRC he's talking about the collar of umbral metamorphosis, Tome of Magic I believe. I was actually looking for a way to fit hips into the build, but the single prc restriction kinda makes the selection not that great.
"The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies,
to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth,
to see those dear to them bathed in tears,
to clasp to your bosom their wivesand daughters"
-GENGHIS KHAN