Author Topic: Building a Sharn for ToDE.  (Read 7641 times)

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Optimizing for the Tower of Deadly Evil.
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 03:11:55 AM »
There's always the psycrystal/Vigor/Share Pain trick for hueg Temporary HP. An Illumian Wilder15 with the Krau sigil and an Orange Ioun Stone gets an effective 230 temp HP for one maximally augmented manifesting of Vigor.

Greater Consumptive Field works, too.

And if you're really intent on focusing on temporary HP, you can take Cleric 15 on one side of your gestalt to cast GCF and Wilder15 on the other side of your gestalt to use the increase in CL/ML (gotta love transparency!) granted to you by GCF to get an effective 300 out of one maximally augmented manifesting of vigor once they've whittled down the temp HP granted by GCF to below that.

Or hell, if you feel like truly blowing the doors off of this schtick, conceptually stretching psionic/magics transparency to the breaking point, and having a good chance of getting your build slapped down, gestalt an arcane casting class that gets a familiar, treat its Share Spells as equivalent to Share Powers, Share Pain both it and the psycrystal, and get an effective 345 temp HP out of one maximally augmented manifesting of Vigor- 450 if you abuse Greater Consumptive Field in the above manner.

Edit: Oh, you have an actual build. One without actual manifesting or cleric levels.

Well, that was useless. C'est la vie.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:14:43 AM by Toptomcat »

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
Okay trying out a new build idea, going with the Sharn that was earlier suggested.
Right now the build looks this:
Binder 9/Anima Mage 6(advancing Sharn(Sorc.)//LA 5/HD 4/Cloisted Cleric 1/Favored Soul 5[Stacking with Sharn(Favored soul)].
The cloistered cleric level is for turn undead, for divine feats.

So which feats and spells do you recommend with an effective level of 15 Binder, Sorcerer 11, Favored Soul 11, with the lovely turning spells into SLAs effect that the sharn has? Maybe taking a feat for shapesoul meld:?.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Building a Sharn for ToDE.
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 04:10:59 AM »
Favorable sacrifice is probably the cheesiest SLA conversion.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
Would giving up a level of favored soul progression for sandshaper(applying to sorcerer) for all those spells known, and grabbing versatile spellcaster to cast a 6th level spell from that list, be worth it?

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »

the_shadowmind

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 04:49:11 AM »
For the Tower, you can use the dual advancing prcs, but not two prc's at the same level, so yes I'd lose a level of sorcerer and favored soul, in order to gain sandshaper. I gain no new features at anima mage 6 so that isn't a that much of a lose over just the 10th level of binder, and right now I'm thinking of going to DMM-Persist route.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:37:25 PM by the_shadowmind »

Ed-Zero

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
I've looked around a bit but can't find any rules about taking 1 prestige class on both sides at the same time (ex: taking frenzied berzerker 5 on one side and 5 on the other gets a 10 level class done seemingly faster)

the_shadowmind

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Right now the build looks like Binder 10/Anima Mage 5//Sharn 9/Cloistered cleric 1/Favored soul 4/Sand Shaper 1.
So Binding 3 vestiges, 1/day free metamagic, grabbing planning and undeath domain to so only Persist and DMM:Persist to grab as feats, Sorcerer level 11 casting, Favored Soul level 10.
So what are decent Favored Souls/Sorcerer spells to take, and a few to persist. And at least 1 good sorcerer spell to persist, using the vestige metamagic.
Stats:Str 18, Dex 20, Con 25, Int, Wis 24, Cha 28.(No items at this point).

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
Wings of Cover/Flurry, the Primal line.
In general look for books about dragons for decent sorcerer-only spells, like Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, and Races of the Dragon.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »
the Primal line.

they already last 24 hours?

Ed-Zero

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »
To me, it's either about a sharn or a phaerimm.. on one hand, sharn are pretty incredible, have loads of abilities and can't be polymorph'd in any way while on the other, phaerimm have innate casting which is enough for me to warrant looking at them.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
Consider taking the multivoice feat from Savage Species.  Now you can cast 3 spells per round not counting swift actions (1 Full Round Action casts two spells from Sorcerer and 1 standard action from Favored Soul or Vice Versa.)

Also if doing gestalt and you can choose how the LA/HD works on one side there is little down side on grabbing the multihead template and going 4 heads.  You gain 2 heads and 2 LA but in return
1) Gain 1 additional FS level (from the Sharn part about gaining HD that aren't class levels)
2) Gain 1 additional Sorcerer level (from the Sharn part about gaining HD that aren't class levels)
3) Gain 2 Int, 2 Wis, 2 Cha (from the Sharn part about gaining HD that aren't class levels)
4) Gain 2 Con (from Multiheaded)
5) Superior Multiweapon Fighting ability (no penalties for Multiweapon Fighting and all hands are treated as primary and thus get more str bonus)
*) Improved Initiative and Combat Reflexes as bonus feats (the sample Sharn has Combat Reflexes as a normal feat from hit dice, but if you play a Sharn you can choose another feat in its place.)
*) Darkvision 90ft
*) +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.
*) +1 NA
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:51:27 PM by Phoenix00 »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
Combat reflexes isn't racial for sharns, IIRC.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
Combat reflexes isn't racial for sharns, IIRC.
You are correct, my mistake, they have Combat Reflexes as a normal feat in the sample progression, previous post has been edited.  Thank you.

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
So you're saying that normally it wouldn't be OK to screw with him, but it's OK because you're his intellectual superior?
I'm just waiting for the day that someone decides that "ignorant moron" is an ethnic group, and thus cannot be discriminated against.
-- Christian Wagner

Chris, my friend, wait no longer.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
So you're saying that normally it wouldn't be OK to screw with him, but it's OK because you're his intellectual superior?
I'm just waiting for the day that someone decides that "ignorant moron" is an ethnic group, and thus cannot be discriminated against.
-- Christian Wagner

Chris, my friend, wait no longer.

I like you.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

the_shadowmind

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
What is a way to get very high AC with sorcerer 11, favored soul 10, Binder 15?. ta
STR 18, Dex 22(20 +2 item), Con 30(25 +5 item), int 24, wis 24, Cha 34(+6 item)
I know with divine shield I can get +12 AC, and have 5 ac from natural armor, and with Dahlver-Nah I can get an additional +5 to natural armor. Only 18,000 for a +3 protection ring. I can get a  +3 master work buckler for only a bit more than 9,000.gp  For under 10,000 I can add a +3 nonhumanoid chain shirt for another 7 ac.
So right now the AC is at 51 when I spend the standard action on divine shield(I get 3 standard actions around for buffing is easier).