Author Topic: Building a Sharn for ToDE.  (Read 7619 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Optimizing for the Tower of Deadly Evil.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »
I'm not really objecting to your build in particular so much as the attitude of applying to anyone's game with the express purpose of 'shattering it to little, tiny bits' or 'obliterating the game'. If your goal is to show them that their character creation rules are too permissive, then quit maliciously dicking around and tell them that their character creation rules are too permissive.
My goal is to screw with the guy because he doesn't know how to spell "Hieghten," and yet he somehow seems to know that it's so overpowered that it must be banned from his game.  Sorry, but "Australian" doesn't count as a native language.  What's more, if he doesn't know what this crap is then he shouldn't be accepting it into his campaign at all, he should be looking it over before the player even writes up their character.

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »
So you're saying that normally it wouldn't be OK to screw with him, but it's OK because you're his intellectual superior?

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:56 AM »
By the way, he's reading this thread. And he min/maxes too. And he does look over each character, and has contingencies for them.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 12:04:56 AM »
So you're saying that normally it wouldn't be OK to screw with him, but it's OK because you're his intellectual superior?
Chances are I'd screw with him regardless, but in this case I have a reason.

By the way, he's reading this thread. And he min/maxes too. And he does look over each character, and has contingencies for them.
Awesome!  Maybe this means all those painful spelling errors will get fixed.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
Chances are I'd screw with him regardless, but in this case I have a reason.

Awesome!  Maybe this means all those painful spelling errors will get fixed.
Cool! You're also a dick and give CO a bad name.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Is the bad name easier to spell, though?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 12:18:54 AM »
Their intentions seem a bit schizophrenic, though. "Hey, come play whatever you want here! As powerful as you can get! Whoa, is that DMM: Heighten? Slow down there, buddy."

Seriously, DMM: Heighten gets the boot and not DMM: Quicken/Persist? Or the RKV? Or just DMM in general? Persisted Delay Death and not Guidance of the Avatar? Mineral Warrior and not the Sharn? You can have dual progression PrCs in gestalt but initiator classes have to go through level by level to pick maneuvers instead of using their IL at level 15?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
Their intentions seem a bit schizophrenic, though. "Hey, come play whatever you want here! As powerful as you can get! Whoa, is that DMM: Heighten? Slow down there, buddy."

Seriously, DMM: Heighten gets the boot and not DMM: Quicken/Persist? Or the RKV? Or just DMM in general? Persisted Delay Death and not Guidance of the Avatar? Mineral Warrior and not the Sharn? You can have dual progression PrCs in gestalt but initiator classes have to go through level by level to pick maneuvers instead of using their IL at level 15?
Nevermind feeling the need to call out and explicitly ban various things with several innocuous applications all because one specific application (DMM: Heighten must have gotten on there because of Shadow Miracles), instead of taking the more sensible approach to obnoxiously high-powered games: mutually assured destruction.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 12:24:34 AM »
Actually, DMM heighten is probably on there from when I guy I gave advice to tried to use it in the Test of Spite for 9d6 forceneedles.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30:49 AM »
Nevermind feeling the need to call out and explicitly ban various things with several innocuous applications all because one specific application (DMM: Heighten must have gotten on there because of Shadow Miracles), instead of taking the more sensible approach to obnoxiously high-powered games: mutually assured destruction.
The tower is supposed to be hard, you're supposed to bring in your best stuff to beat it, but if you bring in something too powerful (in other words, something that has a decent chance of, you know, winning), it gets nerfed into oblivion for no apparent reason. Why can't the poor Factotum take FoI with all these feats they're given? Nobody knows. Why can't you make more than 10 attacks a round? Beats me.

Actually, DMM heighten is probably on there from when I guy I gave advice to tried to use it in the Test of Spite for 9d6 forceneedles.
Shouldn't that be 9d4, or is Invisible Needle not the feat you had in mind?

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
For what it's worth, I can understand barring DMM: Heighten and not DMM: Quicken/Persist, because even though it's less generally useful it seems to have potential for very easy extremely-early-entry shenanigans which the others do not. (That said, I can't actually think off the top of my head what I'd use it to early-enter, but there it is.)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »
I'm not meaning to break the game. I was looking help on making another effective binder or another +2 LA race with the large stat boosts Petal gives.
Maybe something along the lines of Binder/Kotss(Tenebrous)//Something 5/Ur-priest X//Tenebrous Apostate.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 01:39:58 AM »
I'm not meaning to break the game. I was looking help on making another effective binder or another +2 LA race with the large stat boosts Petal gives.
Maybe something along the lines of Binder/Kotss(Tenebrous)//Something 5/Ur-priest X//Tenebrous Apostate.
Wow, it looks like the most random tangent ever, but it's actually what the thread is supposed to be about.

For +2 LA, Phrenic is where it's at.  Doesn't give the stat boosts of a petal, but it gives killer psi-likes.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
Wow, it looks like the most random tangent ever, but it's actually what the thread is supposed to be about.

For +2 LA, Phrenic is where it's at.  Doesn't give the stat boosts of a petal, but it gives killer psi-likes.

I was originally going do do LA 0 races, Phrenic, Half-fey. But then I remember the stat bonus of the Petal. Maybe a Greensnake Naga(+1 la) with either half-fey or phrenic template. It I juggle the Binder advancement, I might be able to get 11 levels of Binder/Advancement on one side, and the other side have the remaining 4, then pick 4 levels of dips for the remaining side. I more MAD this way, but should still have access to 9th level spells.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »

Shouldn't that be 9d4, or is Invisible Needle not the feat you had in mind?

Yeah, whatever the reserve feat says.  I think it was with summon elemental anyway.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
Okay right now the build looks like this:
[spoiler]
Half-Fey, Phrenic Dragonwrought Earth Kobold.
Base stats:Str 10, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 16.
Stats after templates: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 21, Wis 23, Cha 27
The 4,8, and 12 stat bonus not chosen yet(+2 Con, +1 Cha?)

1:Binder 1//Phrenic -Dragon Wrough
2:Binder 2//Phrenic
3:Binder 3//Half-fey
4:Binder 4//Half-fey :Spell Focus(evil)
5:Binder 5//Factotum 1 Otyugh Hole (Iron will) 3,000gp
6:Binder 6// Ur-priest 1
7:Binder 7//Ur-priest 2
8:Binder 8//Tenebrous Apostate
9:Monk 1//Tenebrous Apostate
10:Monk 2//Tenebrous Apostate
11:Paladin of Tyranny 1//Tenebrous Apostate
12:Paladin of Tyranny2 //Tenebrous Apostate
 13:Binder 9//Ur-priest.
14:Binder 10//Ur-Priest
15:Binder 11//Ur-priest.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
You need a higher con. I would recommend dropping your int by 2 and putting those points into con instead. Also be sure to pick up an amulet of health. You will also want to pick mainly boost based vestiges because you will have so many standard action abilities due to your templates.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
Okay just found out that PrC's don't count toward the 6 class limit, so I can replace the last 3 Binder levels with KotSS, or take another Divine progressing PrC on the Ur-Priest side for those last 3 levels. If I lower the Int, I might need to spend a feat on Open Minded to grab 5 skill points for the prerequisite.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
I forgot about skill requirements. You still need to get a higher con from somewhere.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:11 AM »
About the Con. With this build, anyway to get persistent Bite of the Werebear?
Or maybe an easier way to get a higher con score? I'm hoping for a way to get to 22 with out the using a Manual of Bodily Health.
+6 CON for the amulet, that leaves 6 or more to go to meet or beat the 22 Con. goal.

edit: Or a way to get large amounts of temp. Hp.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:14:21 AM by the_shadowmind »