Author Topic: Yet Another Healing Shiv...  (Read 3868 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Yet Another Healing Shiv...
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »
INQUISITOR BRACERS
Price (Item Level): 1,500 gp (5th)
Body Slot: Arms
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) conjuration
Activation: Swift (command)
Weight: 1 lb.
The harsh suns carved into these heavy steel bracers resemble grim versions of the normally forgiving visage of Pelor, god of the sun.Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cure moderate wounds.

So, give this to your resident ANYONE who can make an Unarmed Strike. You then have an item that says "3/day, you punch your buddy in the face for 1d3+Str nonlethal, and they heal 2d8+5 lethal".

That's an average of 14 damage/charge of Lethal Damage healed, giving it a total of 42HP recovered each day. This is pretty good competition for the Healing Belt, seeing as you can give it to the Wizard's Imp familiar and have him fly around punching people for 1 nonlethal while they heal up.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Yet Another Healing Shiv...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Healing Nonlethal Damage

You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level.

When a spell or a magical power cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

Hilarious.

Healing Belt heals 2d8, 3d8, or 4d8 with 1, 2, 3 charges, and has 3 chargers per day, for 750gp. +2 to heal checks as well.
Average is 9, 13.5, and 18 pts healed.
Combo options are 9+9+9 = 27, 9+13.5 = 22.5, and 18 pts.
So that's ~28gp per point healed, ~33 gp per point healed, and ~42 gp per point healed.

Inquisitor bracelets are 42 hp for 1500gp ; 35.7 gp per point healed.

So you're slightly better off with the healing belt in terms of total HP per day, assuming you always use the 2d8 charge. In terms of HP per round and a desperately needed healing burst, your healing belt is still better (unless you can get an ally with a wasted action, like a monk, like you, to hit you, while you, the wizard, do something uber).

The Inquisitor bracers offer better versatility though; if at the end of the day, you need to kill undead fast, you've got an ability that as a swift action adds ~14 damage (will save negates, DC 13?) to undead...which is a pretty good boost at lower levels.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
Healing Nonlethal Damage

You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level.

When a spell or a magical power cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

Hilarious.

Healing Belt heals 2d8, 3d8, or 4d8 with 1, 2, 3 charges, and has 3 chargers per day, for 750gp. +2 to heal checks as well.
Average is 9, 13.5, and 18 pts healed.
Combo options are 9+9+9 = 27, 9+13.5 = 22.5, and 18 pts.
So that's ~28gp per point healed, ~33 gp per point healed, and ~42 gp per point healed.

Inquisitor bracelets are 42 hp for 1500gp ; 35.7 gp per point healed.

So you're slightly better off with the healing belt in terms of total HP per day, assuming you always use the 2d8 charge. In terms of HP per round and a desperately needed healing burst, your healing belt is still better (unless you can get an ally with a wasted action, like a monk, like you, to hit you, while you, the wizard, do something uber).

The Inquisitor bracers offer better versatility though; if at the end of the day, you need to kill undead fast, you've got an ability that as a swift action adds ~14 damage (will save negates, DC 13?) to undead...which is a pretty good boost at lower levels.

Both of them can be used to heal someone else (Healing Belt can be used as a Touch option).

The advantage of the Bracers is your party Fighter can Full Attack, then use a free action to free up one hand and pimp slap someone nearby. So if his last attack can't hit, you've got yourself a free healing potion on someone else's turn that's action efficient.

Have him use a Poison Ring (Dragon Magazine). He can't Power Attack with it, so he's free to sink whatever he wants into it and still heal someone up. It turns the damage into lethal though.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »
then use a free action to free up one hand and pimp slap someone nearby.

Pimp slaps of healing are superior to any other method of healing.  Thus, these bracers are better.  I see no possible counter argument.

JaronK

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Could a Crusader combine a non-lethal punch + activating these bracers and have his Martial Spirit stance kick in for a bit more healing?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »
I laugh and wonder, "Can I use Inquisitor Bracers to crit someone to full health?"

Where's this item, source-wise?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
I laugh and wonder, "Can I use Inquisitor Bracers to crit someone to full health?"

I don't know if what you say is legal, but as a DM I would allow it.

Especially if someone has that feat that lets you cdg as a standard action:

"Hold still! I'm only trying to punch you better!"
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
(unless you can get an ally with a wasted action, like a monk, like you, to hit you, while you, the wizard, do something uber).

It would be best not to get the monk to hit you...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Buy a bunch of these and train a swarm of cats to wear and use them. Then train them to rub against you when you're hurt and heal you up!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

gorfnad

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 05:20:46 AM »

Magic Item Compendium page 113

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
then use a free action to free up one hand and pimp slap someone nearby.

Pimp slaps of healing are superior to any other method of healing.  Thus, these bracers are better.  I see no possible counter argument.

JaronK

Shoryourfeelingslightlybetterken!

Magic Item Compendium page 113

Knew I shoulda put the page number there.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 06:12:14 AM »
(unless you can get an ally with a wasted action, like a monk, like you, to hit you, while you, the wizard, do something uber).

I was thinking the same thing - if there's one PC who should not be using this item to heal other party members, it's the monk  :P

Looks to me like another nifty artificer item though.  You could give a pair of these gloves to one of your homonculi to use, it's a little better than using an eternal wand of CLW. 

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 07:23:53 AM »

If so, you could use an unarmed coup de grace attack to heal out of combat. Making a coup de grace with non lethal damage means, that you score a critical hit automatically, and that the target has to make a fort save equal to 10 + damage dealt in order not to be knocked unconscious. There is no real risk in that.

However, I would be hard pressed not to create a nonmagical copy of those bracers, and replace them with the magical ones for fun. My fun of course, the wounded guy who really NEEDS that healing punch will probably not be amused.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »

I was thinking the same thing - if there's one PC who should not be using this item to heal other party members, it's the monk  :P
Monks can strike for nonlethal at no penalty anyway.  I don't see an issue.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »

Monks can strike for nonlethal at no penalty anyway.  I don't see an issue.

More that the monk if optimised will knock your wizard out in one hit...

Ikeren

• Email
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
You're giving monks too much credit  :D

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
If he auto hits?

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »
The young Monk, Grasshoppah, returns to his sensei, Mastah's dojo and finds his sensei lying bleeding and dying on the floor.

Grasshoppah: "Mastah sensei, what happened?"

Mastah: "I was attacked by the evil dojo while meditating."

Grasshoppah: "Sensei, what can I do?"

Mastah strains and reaches for a small box, which he opens revealing a pair of bracers.

Mastah: "Take two of these..."

Mastah shakily hands the bracers to Grasshoppah.

Mastah: "...and punch me in the crotch."