Author Topic: Init math and matchups OR helping you find the desired init advantage.  (Read 17584 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Ok, first off init is an opposed check. So the numbers don't matter in an absolute sense, only in a relative sense. +0 vs +0 is exactly the same as +15 vs +15. Only the difference between your init and your opponents init matters. So that's what I will focus on here.

So here are the numbers for your advantage. If your opponent has the advantage, read them as his chance to win or invert them to get your chance. This should help you decide how much higher to get your init compared to that of your expected opponents.

Also note, ties go to the higher Dex, or if equal reroll.

+0: 47.5% win, 5% tie, 47.5% loss.
+1: 52.5% win, 4.75% tie, 42.75% loss.
+2: 57.25% win, 4.5% tie, 38.25% loss.
+3: 61.75% win, 4.25% tie, 34% loss.
+4: 66% win, 4% tie, 30% loss.
+5: 70% win, 3.75% tie, 26.25% loss.
+6: 73.75% win, 3.5% tie, 22.75% loss.
+7: 77.25% win, 3.25% tie, 19.5% loss.
+8: 80.5% win, 3% tie, 16.5% loss.
+9: 83.5% win, 2.75% tie, 13.75% loss.
+10: 86.25% win, 2.5% tie, 11.25% loss.
+11: 88.75% win, 2.25% tie, 9% loss.
+12: 91% win, 2% tie, 7% loss.
+13: 93% win, 1.75% tie, 5.25% loss.
+14: 94.75% win, 1.5% tie, 3.75% loss.
+15: 96.25% win, 1.25% tie, 2.5% loss.
+16: 97.5% win, 1% tie, 1.5% loss.
+17: 98.5% win, 0.75% tie, 0.75% loss.
+18: 99.25% win, 0.5% tie, 0.25% loss.
+19: 99.75% win, 0.25% tie, 0.00% loss.
+20 or higher: 100% win, 0% tie, 0% loss.

As you can see there is a definitive diminishing returns effect. The greater your init advantage, the less each point gives you and the less the dex tiebreaker matters. Assuming a dex advantage equal init is 50/50. To increase that to 60/40 you need +2. 70/30 requires +4. 80/20 requires +7. 90/10 requires +11. And 100/0 requires +20.

Without a dex advantage those breakpoints are +1, +3, +5, +8, +12, and +20 respectively.

Your individual circumstances cannot be predicted and there are too many variables to try but this should give you all the information to figure it out on your own.

Enjoy this CO resource contribution, courtesy of the resident Kitsune. :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:45:18 AM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Some initiative boosters for the edge.

Items
Eager (MiC): +1 weapon, +2 <unnamed> to initiative while welding it to your double weapon for split initiative. j/k, just hold it alright?
Warning (MiC): +1 weapon, +5 insight to initiative while it is held.
Initiative (OA): +20,000gp weapon, +2 luck to initiative while carrying it.
Belt of Battle (MiC): 12,000gp, +2 competence to initiative while worn.
Bracers of Blinding Strike (MiC): 5,000gp, +2 competence to initiative while worn.
Bracers of the Hunter (SoX): 8,500gp, +2 competence to initiative while worn.
Ring of Anticipation (DotU): 6,000gp, roll initiative twice and take the higher number.

Grafts
Flexible Spine (LoM): 91,000gp, +4 racial bonus to initiative. Ouch, grafts are supposed to be cheaper than normal items.
Silthilar Tendons (LOM): 110,000gp, +2 <unnamed> to dexterity. Just buy a tome and w/e else.

Soul Melds
Bluesteel Bracers (MoI): +2 insight to initiative, arm bind to share it with your party.

Spells
Combat Readiness (DotU): bard/sor/wiz 1, precast <1min*cl>, +<cl/3, max 6> insight to initiative.
Neverskitter (SpC): sor/wiz 1, immediate action during init rolls, +5 <unnamed> to initiative.
Primal Instinct (DM): druid 3/sor 3, ran 2, +5 competence bonus to initiative checks for 24 hours, hells yeah.
Sign (SpC): cleric 1, precast <10min*cl>, +4 <unnamed> to your next initiative check.

Classes
Dragon Shamen (PHBII): sense aura, <ds levels/5>+1 <unnamed> bonus to initiative.
Dread Commando 1~5 (HoB): +<dc level> competence to the entire party's initiative.
Darkrunner 3 (LoM): intelligence bonus to initiative while underground.
Exemplar 8 (CAv): intelligence bonus to initiative.
Factotum(DS): intelligence bonus to dexterity checks, aka initiative.
Iajutsu Master 2 (OA): charisma to initiative.
Marshal 1 (online/Mini): charisma bonus to initiative for the entire party.
Swiftblade 2 (online): <arcane casting ability> bonus to initiative.

Feats
Danger Sense (CAd): grants a 1/day initiative reroll, requires Improved Initiative.
Draconic Aura (DM): Up to +4 <unnamed> to initiative.
Guerrilla Scout (HoB, pg97): +1 <unnamed> bonus to initiative.
Improved Initiative (core): +4 <unnamed> to initiative.
Lucky Start (CS): you can use luck to reroll initiative.
Nimble Bones (LM): Undead you create gain +4 <unnamed> to initiative. One word: Necropolition.
Quick Reconnoiter (CAr): +2 <unnamed> to initiative.
Yondalla's Sense (RoW): wisdom bonus to initiative.

Other
Aggressive (trait, UA): +2 <unnamed> to initiative.
Dexterity Boosters (core): up to +6 enchantment & +4 inherent for what could be another +5 to initiative.
Humming Bird Familiar (Dragon #323, pg98): +4 <unnamed?> to initiative, elven wizard sub (RotW) may double this.
Lunatic Insight (HoH): Taint up a +1 moral bonus to initiative.
Moment of Alacrity (ToB): diamond mind 6th, +20 <unnamed> to initiative as a swift action.
Time Domain (SpC): grants Improved Initiative.
White Raven Tactics (ToB): white raven 3rd, set an ally's initiative to one lower than your own.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:31:03 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Using a 20 sided die, we can restate this as:

If you have an initiative advantage of n (for n from 0 to 19), then:

The chance that you win initiative =
(380 + 41n - n^2) / 800

The chance that you tie =
(20 - n) / 400

The chance that you lose =
(20 - n) * (19 - n) / 800

I didn't check all of the probabilities you listed, but when you have no advantage (n=0), then it should read:
47.5% Win / 5% Tie / 47.5% Loss

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

dobu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
you may want to add "Combat Readiness" from Drow of the Underdark to your Spelllist. it's a +1 per 3 CL insight Bonus, for 1min/CL. (DotU p.61)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Isn't Nerveskitter Insight (making it not stack with Warning)?

Chances at +0:

If you roll a 1, a 2 or better beats you. (19)
2 is beaten by 3 or better. (18)
20 isn't beatable, it can only be tied. (0)

Which is 47.5%. My mistake. *fixes*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:46:21 AM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Using a 20 sided die, we can restate this as:

If you have an initiative advantage of n (for n from 0 to 19), then:

The chance that you win initiative =
(380 + 41n - n^2) / 800

The chance that you tie =
(20 - n) / 400

The chance that you lose =
(20 - n) * (19 - n) / 800

I didn't check all of the probabilities you listed, but when you have no advantage (n=0), then it should read:
47.5% Win / 5% Tie / 47.5% Loss

Best,
David

I believe you are correct in your formula creating sir.  :clap
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Yeah, I noticed that algorithm when I was making this post. But I forgot how to express it as a formula and decided I wanted it to be useful to those that failed math as well so I just gave the outputs.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
The humming bird familiar from Dragon magazine gets you +4 to your initative. And depending on how you interpret the elven wizard racial subsitution from Races of the Wild it could become +8.

There's a feat in Complete Adventurer call Quick Reconacuer or something like that that gives you +2 to your initative and makes spot checks free actions. Nothing great but worth noting for the sake of completeness.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
The Ring of Anticipation from Drow of the Underdark lets you roll twice and take the highest on any initiative roll.
This space intentionally left blank.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
There's also the Lucky Start luck feat in Complete Scoundrel that let's you use one of your rerolls to reroll your initative. It's one of the few luck feats that's almost worthwhile.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
I think the Senses aura for the Dragon Shaman grants a bonus to Initiative, as well as Spot and Listen.  The bonus ranges from +1 to +5 depending on the DS class level.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
There is the "Sign" spell that gives +4 (unnamed) in Mini or SpC. 10 min/lvl only, unfortunately.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
There is the "Sign" spell that gives +4 (unnamed) in Mini or SpC. 10 min/lvl only, unfortunately.
And expended after one time use
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
And expended after one time use
And it's lvl 1, so you can likely as not keep it up all day without problems. How often per encounter do you roll? Plus it's a cleric spell, which is worth noting because Clerics are notorious for being slow, IMHO.

ChristopherGroves

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Init math and matchups OR helping you find the desired init advantage.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »
Wu Jen / watchful spirit gets a boost ... add to that the feats from CM to reroll as well.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
Binders and anima mages get bonuses to initiative. Binders are insight, but Anima Mage gets untyped :D

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
Nerveskitter from Spell Compendium 146 (Sor/Wiz1, Transmutation) gives +5 <unnamed> initiative as an immediate action for 1 encounter.

Also, one can get up to +5 inherent DEX in core from tomes and manuals and one can increase his DEX by up to 5 from levels/HD.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:50:44 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:15:50 AM »
Danger Sense from Complete Adventurer grants a 1/day initiative reroll.  Unlike Lucky Start, it requires Improved Initiative.

Edit: just noticed the Initiative ability from another thread, +5 untyped bonus to initiative on a weapon of legacy (Menu D, I think it's from ToB)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:54:00 AM by Akalsaris »

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 03:34:24 AM »
Actually, tiebreakers are determined by comparing the total Initiative modifiers (PHB, pg. 136), not just Dex. Just figured I'd point that out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:14:02 AM by Echoes »
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:02 AM »
Really?  My group's always gone with highest dex, not initiative.  I wonder if it's a 2nd ed holdover or one of my long-forgotten house rules...