Author Topic: Most ineffective gestalt character ever  (Read 8968 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Most ineffective gestalt character ever
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
adult white dragon 18/rogue2//fighter 20
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
I thought this was evaluating just base classes, and not races.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
you are correct .... it is just base Classes

however for this .... to be Legal.... it would be :

Juvenile 14HD White Dragon(14 HD+5 LA)/ Rogue 1//Fighter 20

that would not be great, but would be playable

:D

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
But do repeative breaking of the knight's code stack? The -2 to attack part, because that would start to add up if so.
Does their code preclude them from flanking?
Flanking, flat-footed, or helpless
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
they dont attack them with Lethal force ... and they dont attack Flatfooted at all(until they are ready=not flatfooted)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »
I'm going to go with Divine Mind on one side and, oh I dunno... spellthief on the other.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
you are correct .... it is just base Classes

however for this .... to be Legal.... it would be :

Juvenile 14HD White Dragon(14 HD+5 LA)/ Rogue 1//Fighter 20

that would not be great, but would be playable

ya , thats what i meant

Anim-manga sux.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
Is Spellthief really that bad?  You get Sneak Attack, ability to steal all sorts of unique effects, ability to cast transmutations among other stuff, and get a decent skill list. 

Heck, with a Dragon Mag ACF you get to trade some stuff in and get Bardic casting (including Bard spells!) instead of slow casting.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
So no love (or hate?) for my Hexblade || Fighter suggestion, hmm?

How about Swashbuckler || Fighter?  Once again, all you end up with is a Swash with bonus feats.  Whoopee.

Or maybe Swashbuckler || Dragonfire Adept or something odd, so you end up with somewhat conflicting class abilities and very MAD.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
So no love (or hate?) for my Hexblade || Fighter suggestion, hmm?
The overlapping base bonuses are way bad, but we can do worse :smirk
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
I would totally play a swashbuckler/dragonfire adept. Maybe.

Try knight / fighter that gives up his feats for sneak attack ... very hard to utilize both sets of features.

Hmm ... ninja/bard might have trouble with the whole, sneaking and music thing. Bards aren't that foreign to stealth, though. Take perform(dance), go into shadowdancer, pretend this makes sense.

Ninja/Truenamer or Rogue/Truenamer might suffer from something similar...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »
Knight//Ninja.

Can't strike flat-footed foes? Good luck using Sudden Strike. AC when unarmored vs. Heavy Armor Mobility. Bonuses to movement skills vs. armor check penalties.

Where IS the Rokugan Ninja? Can't find it in OA.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
Its in the Rokugan Campain Setting

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
Not completely ineffective... but mostly passive buffer type guy: Dragon Shaman/Divine Mind
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

fallen-angle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
Monk//CW Samurai strikes me as the worst possible combination.

The classes simply ruin each other. For instance

The Pros:
-Max BAB and Saves. This is pretty good, but nothing Fighter/Monk or Barbarian/Wizard or Paladin/Rogue couldn't have.

The Cons:
-Swords vs. Flurry. They cannot both use their Swords and use Flurry of blows at the same time, they must choose between one or the other essentially losing all combat benefits of the other class.

-Armor vs Nekkid. Samurai can wear heavy armor, it is the source of his AC. Monk cannot use any of his abilities while armored, ruining an important defensive option from the samurai.

-5 Ability Dependant. To make use of all the class features you need high Strength, Constitution, Wisdom, Charisma, and (assuming you aren't using armor) Dexterity.

-Poor As Dirt. To support this dependency this character would have to spend nearly all their money on stat boosting items just to survive. Skimping on Strength reduces damage, skimping on dexterity reduces AC and Initiative, skimping on Constitution reduces his hp, Wisdom would leave him with crap DCs, Charisma would ruin his intimidation tricks. To get +6 to all 5 would cost 180,000gp. A huge investment.

-Dumber Than Dirt. Races or flaws could be taken to mitigate this problem, but since he needs 5 of the six primary stats the only one left to dump is int. Assuming he starts with low int, then takes a penalty to it (half-orc maybe?). He is probably only getting 2 - 3 skill points per level. That is barely, BARELY enough to support his 3 key skills (Intimidate, Tumble, Iajutsu Focus). This means he cannot climb, or swim, or hide, or bluff. None of that.

-No Magic For You. UMD is right out, even attempting to buy it CC is out since he has no skill points to spend. He little to no wealth to spend on items for body slots and his sluggish damage and unimpressive hp and feat selection set him far from first pick on the party buff wagon.

So basically the two worst base classes in DnD are both eastern themed. But when you put them together they get alone like the Korean border patrol (read: poorly). End result is a combo without a single shred of synergy, that goes so far as using class features of one class stops you from using the other class...pretty much completely.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:42:44 AM by fallen-angle »
Master Transmographist Guide (In Progress): http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9277.20

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 08:11:29 AM »
-Swords vs. Flurry. They cannot both use their Swords and use Flurry of blows at the same time, they must choose between one or the other essentially losing all combat benefits of the other class.

Eh, the combat benefits of the CW Samurai are more about their fear effects.  With that said, those don't work with flurry either.

The thing is though, it's just a Monk with full BAB, better HP, and an optional fear pulse effect which, combined with Imperious Command, is pretty useful.  That's not too shabby, especially since one of the main complaints about Monks is their lack of full BAB (well, it's a big one at least).

What about Sneak Attack Variant Fighter//Rokugan Ninja?  That's exactly the same as a normal Rokugan Ninja except you get a better fort save and higher HD.  You get nothing else at all.

JaronK

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »
-Dumber Than Dirt. Races or flaws could be taken to mitigate this problem, but since he needs 5 of the six primary stats the only one left to dump is int. Assuming he starts with low int, then takes a penalty to it (half-orc maybe?). He is probably only getting 2 - 3 skill points per level. That is barely, BARELY enough to support his 3 key skills (Intimidate, Tumble, Iajutsu Focus). This means he cannot climb, or swim, or hide, or bluff. None of that.

CW Samurai do not even have Iajutsu Focus.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »
CW Samurai /// Monk
A samurai who gains a level in any class other than samurai may never again raise his samurai level, though he retains all his current samurai abilities. - Complete Warrior
A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.  -Players Handbook

So if you are restricted to two classes, you can't get past level 2 because you took a non monk level and a non samurai level.   :sofa
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
CW Samurai /// Monk
A samurai who gains a level in any class other than samurai may never again raise his samurai level, though he retains all his current samurai abilities. - Complete Warrior
A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.  -Players Handbook

So if you are restricted to two classes, you can't get past level 2 because you took a non monk level and a non samurai level.   :sofa
No you didn't.  Each level was a Monk level and a Samurai level.  This is gestalt we're talking about.  You have no Non-Monk or Non-Samurai levels.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
evil (fallen) paladin 20//ex druid 20

full bab, 12/6/12 saves, armor and weapons issues..

Anim-manga sux.