Author Topic: Tier system for PrCs?  (Read 17008 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Tier system for PrCs?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
Ah, I'd forgotten about Sublime Chord (again, I don't play Bards).  I'll shift it down to Tier 2.  Should Sublime Chord be Tier 1 then?  Keeping in mind that Tier 1 for PrCs doesn't necessarily mean gamespanking power, just that it's a disproportionate boost over the base.

Also, the problems you list with Frenzied Berserker seem to be less "problems with the class" and more "problems with 75% of D&D characters".  Everyone needs flight, everyone needs true seeing (since you need to interact with illusions to get a save - which, btw, FB gets a hefty bonus on), every melee character needs Ghost Touch or something similar, and mageslayer is disproportionately useful.  However... there's nothing keeping an FB from taking mageslayer and a Ghost Touch weapon, natural flight can be picked up through a Berserker dip if it's judged worthwhile (and does give a further frenzy boost), and True Seeing... well, what's your Fighter20 or Barbarian20 going to do about that, that your FB can't?

Again, remember that I'm comparing the PrC to the base class, and when I look at a FB standing next to a straight Barbarian, I see a monster.  You seem to be comparing the PrC to what a Sor/Wiz is capable of, or at least judging it a failure unless it's virtually unstoppable, and I don't think that's a useful measure.  How many PrCs are going to be Tier 1 by your measure?  Planar Sheppard, Incantrix, Souleater, maybe Fiend-Blooded, probably a couple more that I'm not thinking of right now.  I want Tier 1 to actually get used, to collect examples of the real stand-outs among PrCs.  I want it to be a short list of the PrCs that should be household names in any group, whether or not they actually get used.

What if I changed the description from "Gamebreaking" to "Gamechanging"?

The thing is, as I said, your choices are failing to meet your own criteria. Taking a PrC is a no-brainer over half the time, because there are very few base classes that benefit the most from straight-up level 20 progressions. By that definition, there are WAY too many Tier 1s, but they don't necessarily break the game because of that. Still using FB as an example, while it provides a vicious damage output, it still does nothing to solve the problems that (as you mentioned) plague every melee character in existence. Therefore, what it has in its own specialized role it lacks in versatility, which is really the key to having a strong class in D&D. Wizards are not considered one of the be-all end-all base classes because they can muscle through more stuff than the Fighter does, they're considered obscenely strong because they can plow through nearly every kind of challenge in the game with a couple of well-placed spells each.

Knight of the Sacred Seal, for example, would be for me either a strong tier 3 or a weak 2, because it provides several benefits at nearly no cost (the entry feat requirement is a joke, you probably have the skills anyway, and all you lose from the regular progression are pact augmentations and soul guardian features). Anima Mage would likely be a weak tier 2 as well, as it progresses full casting, grants you the ability to use metamagics for free a few times per day, and progresses EBL as well, thus granting a full caster plenty of options without requiring him to invest much of an additional effort and allowing him to conserve certain spells for specific occasions.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Wih

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
Some of these aren't adding up to me. Bear Warrior as tier 1?
Spymaster, Knight of the Chalice, Occult Slayer, Thayan Knight as tier 2? (As a note, based on your definition of "So much better than the entry into the PrC", I'd personally place Warshaper as Tier 1 - any non-casting entry into Warshaper is pretty much the best 4 levels you can take).
Calling Bladesinger a Tier 3 isn't appropriate IMHO - you lose 5 caster levels for a caster entry. It's got the same problem Spellsword has, except it's worse. It shouldn't be rated better.
I would disagree with Nature's Warrior being 4 - it provides Wildshape and Full BAB with a couple of caster levels, with a couple of additional tricks. It's about as powerful as Wildshape Ranger, which makes it Tier 3.
Invisible Blade jumps in it's usability if you take the feat from DotU (can't recall the name off the top of my head) that keeps your enemy flatfooted for the rest of the round. I'd advise a note similar to what you've got for Focluchan Lyricist for the class about this. Along a similar note, for entry into Blackguard, Shadowbane Inquisitor is exactly the same.
You're reading a genuine, 100% natural Wih post - they say they're as rare as hen's teeth from a Chicken Infestee's pocket. Oooh, aaah! </unlurk>

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »
I say we stick to relative tier system and judge the prestige class on the merits of its abilities.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »
ScM, Incantatrix and IoSV should all be Tier 1, though...

Personally, I don't think there should be so many Tier 1 PrCs, though...

One of the problems is that it is too hard to rate a PrC that advances something from earlier classes versus PrCs that stand up on their own, like Chameleon and the like...

The PrCs that are good with any entry class at all is probably the easiest to rate...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
ScM, Incantatrix and IoSV should all be Tier 1, though...

One of the problems is that it is too hard to rate a PrC that advances something from earlier classes versus PrCs that stand up on their own, like Chameleon and the like...

The PrCs that are good with any entry class at all is probably the easiest to rate...

ScM deserve a spot as tier 1 due to their extreme versatility. Everything a Wizard needs to know four spells for, ScM can do with one.

Incantatrix is a conceivable Tier 1 because the ability to metamagic the crap out of everything with nothing but a Spellcraft check is pretty pimpin'.

And IoSV is a caster with a personal AMF. Adding to what a caster can already do, no less. That's awful strong.

However, if you stop to think about it, how many PrCs are so crazy good that you wanna take all levels in it no matter what?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
Do you truly think that, BY ITSELF, the PrC provides you the power to bend reality over a table and fuck it so hard it can't walk for weeks?

Just wanted to say, this line made me chuckle.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »
Incantatrix is at least tier 0, with an argument for tier -1. No loss of anything, coupled with the ability to get what amounts to hundreds of spell levels free? Persist whatever you want? Free quicken? Ummm.... yeah that's at least tier 0.

But again, I suggest we go with relative tiers. A wizard is tier 1, an Incantatrix is tier 0, and an Incantatrix/Shadowcraft Mage is tier -1, at least.

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
The reason I went the way I did is because otherwise it's too warped by the disparity in base classes.  Take Red Wizard for example - it's a marginal call for a Wizard, providing some benefits (extra power in one school) with some costs (extra banned spell school).  But, "a marginal call for a Wizard" still puts it in the top 90%, maybe top 95%, in terms of straight power.  But "Red Wizard" is not a great PrC, it's (in my opinion at least) a profoundly average PrC, it just happens to go on top of a great base class.  Conversely, there's some PrCs out there, like Soulbow, that will never be able to compete on that tier but do absolute wonders given what they have to work with. 

Rating by straight power is basically just repeating "wizards rule, other casters are okay, everyone else sucks" over and over again down through the list.  I don't think that's helpful.  If I was looking up a rating of PrCs, it's probably because I have a particular build in mind (say, assassination type) and want to know what the buzz is on the various options available.  Should I go Assassin, Ghost Faced Killer, Nightsong Infiltrator, or Spymaster?  Telling me that the best option for assassinations with be some Wizard with some full-casting PrC might be true, but it's not helpful, not when I have a character in mind that I want to make.  I honestly think it would be helpful to have a list like the one I've been making (with the kinks worked out of course), because I can scan from the top down looking for options that fit my concept, and prioritize on the ones nearer the top.  Of course that's not going to be the full story, there'll be some times when a Tier 4 or even a Tier 5 might be exactly what I need (like Reaping Mauler's ability to kill Ikea Tarrasques even in an AMF, if they fail their saves), but I still think it'd be a nice reference.  And rating based on the power of the base class kind of undermines that.  A lot.

Wih - I like a bunch of your ideas, and will definitely adjust rating accordingly (later; exhausted right now).  I'll move Bear Warrior to 2, Warshaper to 1, Bladesinger to 4, and Nature's Warrior to 3.  I'm not quite sure I grok your comments on Spymaster, Knight of the Chalice, Occult Slayer, Thayan Knight, and Shadowbane Inquisitor; could you elaborate please?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2009, 11:32:34 PM »
I think the current setup with PrCs being rated on how they change a character's tier works well.  If it moves tier 3 to tier 2, it's a -1 tier PrC.  If it makes a tier 5 into a tier 2, it's a -3 tier PrC.  If it makes a tier 1 into a tier 3 it's a +2 tier PrC.

That takes into account the base class, but in a way that makes it more useful.  For example

Rainbow Servant:
For wizards, +0.  For warmages, -2.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
^was about to say that.

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2009, 01:45:53 AM »
I think the current setup with PrCs being rated on how they change a character's tier works well.  If it moves tier 3 to tier 2, it's a -1 tier PrC.  If it makes a tier 5 into a tier 2, it's a -3 tier PrC.  If it makes a tier 1 into a tier 3 it's a +2 tier PrC.

That takes into account the base class, but in a way that makes it more useful.  For example

Rainbow Servant:
That could actually work.  It captures the idea I was going for a lot more eloquently than I did.  I'd talk about up and down as opposed to plus and minus though, as people are usually used to seeing negatives a bad thing.   "Up two or more", "up one", "zero", "down one", "down or more", where the same class could be posted in multiple categories with a different note on entry.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »
I haven't been on these forums for a bit (too many things going on in my life, so much live D&D that doing it over the forums felt weird, etc) but I feel like I should chime in here.

I think people have noticed why I never tried to make a Tier system for PrCs.   It's really hard, and there are far more variables than when dealing with base classes.  Is the Mystic Theurge a good class?  If it's advancing Wizard and Cleric, and the entry to it lost you 3 caster levels from each, then probably not.  If it's advancing Sublime Chord and Ur Priest, then it's probably awesome... at some levels, but not at others.  I'm not saying it's impossible to make it work, but it is quite difficult.

That last question of which levels you're playing at makes this incredibly difficult.  With base classes it's a lot easier... if we're playing at level 5, we can discuss the relative power of Wizard 5 vs Barbarian 5, for example.  But if we're playing at level 10, what level of Mystic Theurge should we be talking about?  Wizard 3/Cleric 3/MT 4?  Or is this a Sublime Chord/Ur Priest entry?  Are we talking early entry?  Likewise, classes like the Sublime Chord are awesome near the end of the progression, but Bard 10/Sublime Chord 2 is hardly interesting as a level 12 character, and is probably weaker than Bard 12.  Issues of opportunity cost on entry mean that many PrCs are very weak early on only to become extremely powerful later, making it really hard to gauge what to call them.  Again, not saying it's impossible, but there's a reason I didn't want to touch it.

I do think that the idea of rating by base class and then showing the modification is a decent idea, though it seems you'd have a lot of rankings (can you imagine the MT?  Wizard/Cleric rating, Wizard/Druid with AT rating, Wizard/Druid without AT rating, Wizard/Archivist rating, Sublime Chord/Ur Priest rating... this will keep going for a while).

With that said, I will talk about the single most overrated PrC of all time, in my opinion: the Frenzied Berserker.  Oh my god a Frenzied Berserker build can do 3000 damage on the charge!  Wow!  And yet, that same build, removing the FB and replacing it with more Barbarian, probably would have done 2000 damage on the charge.  That's still enough to one hit kill any CR 20 enemy (they max out in the 800s, with most of them being in the 300s), so who cares?  It's so easy to get insane melee damage anyway that 10 levels of FB often won't actually get you anything except for allowing you to kill things until they're even more completely dead.  Meanwhile, now you have a chance of killing your party, and the usual melee issues (difficulty engaging targets, inability to do much except deal damage even when combat isn't the current challenge, etc) haven't been helped at all.  Sure, you can deal with the "kill your party" issue, but doing so requires spending further resources (such as feats for Steadfast Determination, held actions for grease, whatever else), and you just haven't gained much.  So yeah, I know the FB gives you really sexy damage numbers, but as far as actual usefulness in game play, I just don't see it.  I'd rather have an Orc Fighter 4/Barbarian 16 with Headlong Rush, Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Spirited Charge, and a Valorous Lance than an Orc Fighter 4/Barbarian 6/FB 10 with the same, given the choice.  There's just nothing the second character can do that the first can't do already unless your DM is actually throwing swarms of terrasques at you or you're well into epic, but that rarely comes up in most games (and at that point, it's time for the Wizard to shine).

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

JaronK

Wih

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 07:08:10 AM »
Wih - I like a bunch of your ideas, and will definitely adjust rating accordingly (later; exhausted right now).  I'll move Bear Warrior to 2, Warshaper to 1, Bladesinger to 4, and Nature's Warrior to 3.  I'm not quite sure I grok your comments on Spymaster, Knight of the Chalice, Occult Slayer, Thayan Knight, and Shadowbane Inquisitor; could you elaborate please?

Each of those classes except the Shadowbane Inquisitor is decidedly meh. They give little-to-no abilities that you wouldn't get from taking the base entry class.
Thayan Knight puts a huge "Kick Me" sign on your back. It gives you minimal bonuses, the most useful thing in there are the Fighter feats that you could just take Fighter levels for. When you would prefer to take Fighter levels than a PrC, you know it's not that high a Teir.
Occult Slayer is OK for it's Mind Blank ability (running off memory here), but you're trading 4 levels of meh to get an ability you can get from an item or party member. I'd rather take 5 levels of Streetfighter or Kensai, and both of those you've listed as being worse, when they're much better - not because they're worth a tier 2, but because you've put it far too high. Same for Knight of the Chalice, except it lacks any key crucial ability that's plausibly worth the investment.
Spymaster is tolerable as it gives a semi-unique ability, but it's still decidedly lackluster. It certainly has the drawback of not continuing your bardic casting/music, inspiration, beguiler casting or rogue special abilities, and so is by definition not Tier 2. I could see Tier 3 for a heavily social game, or for use of the GM, but I'd personally peg it as Tier 4.
Shadowbane Inquisitor exists for one purpose - entry into Blackguard. If you want to play a non-LG Paladin then Greyguard is superior. It truely shines when you use it to enter Blackguard, as you get to double up on the class features for the Shadowbane Inquisitor while getting the bonus class features from having "Paladin Levels". With retraining you theoretically bootstrap your way to Shadowbane Inquisitor 10/Blackguard 10 (though the legality is debatable). Pretty much it's a class that doesn't add anything useful to your abilities unless you're using it for Blackguard entry - since you have a note about Fochluchan Lyricist being Teir 2 if item entry is valid, I would advise a note for Shadowbane Inquisitor being a higher teir if used for entry into Blackguard.

Various similar problems also I could list for Bloodhound and Dread Pirate. They're both lackluster. IMHO in order for a PrC to be powerful, it has to supply something unique that the base class doesn't supply. These classes do not (though Bloodhound IIRC has a nifty ability that can stop anyone you hit from being killed).
Also, you have Mindspy in teir 3 and 4.
You're reading a genuine, 100% natural Wih post - they say they're as rare as hen's teeth from a Chicken Infestee's pocket. Oooh, aaah! </unlurk>

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
Hmm I must say, I didn't expect this thread to start succeeding until sonofzeal provided a nice (if rough) skeleton. Because of that, here goes:

Do you truly think that, BY ITSELF, the PrC provides you the power to bend reality over a table and fuck it so hard it can't walk for weeks?
Lolz Kuro, that some hard oral... gosh give her some water and a break before it starts hurting  :lmao

What if I changed the description from "Gamebreaking" to "Gamechanging"?
Yes. Otherwise simply listen to when a few people want to move a class by a tier and keep on trucking!

Isn't that the 'problem' with PrC's is that they can (and often do according to many members) become much more powerful than a base class? We know Wizards rock, but who doesn't take those juicy full-casting PrCs? I've never hear "oh man I don't wanna multicast out of wizard even if I keep my casting boost"

Rainbow Servant:
I know everyone is now jumping on the relative bandwagon but that is simply not possible. What about a wiz/barb/ranger? Should I average the relative changes? How do I weight the class level depth? Lets keep sonofzeal's method and simply tweak it

That last question of which levels you're playing at makes this incredibly difficult. ... Are we talking early entry?
Its hard, yes... but we optimizers aren't we? And secondly the answer is YES! Why wait? If you want to wait something tells me you really can find something better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:41:50 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »
Lolz Kuro, that some hard oral... gosh give her some water and a break before it starts hurting 

I dunno about you, but when someone bends over for me it's not head I get...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
1: I hoped you'd alphabetize the first page's list.
2: We may need a tier 0 for PrCs with reality-shattering goodness.
3: Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun) is tier 1 because it's a Wizard with viable class features and full casting.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »
3: Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun) is tier 1 because it's a Wizard with viable class features and full casting.

It should be Tier 0...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »

It should be Tier 0...

It doesn't really grant any reality shattering stuff that a normal Wizard doesn't already grant.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »
Lolz Kuro, that some hard oral... gosh give her some water and a break before it starts hurting 

Flip a coin. Heads, you get some tail. Tails, you get some...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »

Flip a coin. Heads, you get some tail. Tails, you get some...
Pretty small table then :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol