Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] ECL 10+ Campaign  (Read 31295 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: [D&D 3.5] ECL 10+ Campaign
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
Well I'm all over the place. FoP and Arcane Swordsage both sound fun but I'm not sold on them. Still looking around to see what I can do.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
Evil:

FoP / Dreadmaster, if you can get them both in.  Have 3 cohorts to possess!  Or, FoP + Marshal, because your auras should still work when possessing.  Better yet, FoP + Dragon Shaman, and destroy an entire army w/ metabreath feats!

Not evil:

How about an artificer?  Or, a factotum/trapsmith/swiftblade.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »
einherjar, another question (which may not be relevant, depending on which char I play): how do you feel about domain wizards in general?

Would you allow a domain wizard of the Incarnum domain (from MoI) in particular?  Yes it's a cleric domain, but you don't have to worship a deity to take it.

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
New idea. Best idea so far. Psionic Lich Ulitharid Mind Flayer. Working towards DemiLich-dom in epic levels. This is also character motivation.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:08:09 PM by bearsarebrown »

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Illithid Savant??

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
That's broken beyond playability. This character will be a Psion who's two levels behind and makes up for it with Tentacles and being a Lich.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
So is that an official vote for an evil party?

I'm leaning more and more to the hellfire dude, which would make irrelevant my questions about incarnum & domain wizards.  Is dedicating to an elder evil (Zargon) an acceptable qualifier for both Ur-Priest and Eldritch Disciple?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »
Lich mockup. Fluff juices flowing.

Was sent on an important diplomatic mission to the surface, to study XXX race and their lichdom. Whilst performing 'Illithid diplomacy' it took it upon itself to become a lich, to further understand the process. It keep it's brain alive in a jar, functioning as it's phylactery. Every so often it funnel it's knowledge into the brain, and siphon out information sent by the Elder Brain. The plebs of the Mind Flayer community see it as a heretic Alhoon, but high ranking Flayers(Elder Brain, Ulitharids) understand the plan. It continues it's mission to understand Lichdom from the inside perspective and to experiment with surface politics. Rumors of a more potent Lichdom have been heard, and it searches to find the truth.

Evidence of a planar invasion force has been deduced, intriguing it in how the surfaces races will react. It does not feel threatened, merely curious.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:17:38 AM by bearsarebrown »

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2011, 12:14:03 AM »
lets just all vote on what type of game we want.
 +1 for evil  :devil
that being said, I think we should play the type of group that knows our success is within our numbers. Id rather not have to worry about pvp  :o
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2011, 12:37:10 AM »
I'm happy with either, as I said, so I abstain.

If we go evil, LE is the way to go because we'll work together better.  That works for my HELLfire guy, and illithids are LE as well.  My incantatrix can be either.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »
+10 evil

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2011, 01:06:22 AM »
I don't care enough to vote against it. Neutral Evil it is then.

Oh and have no fear, I don't do backstab, it's pretty damn boring.

Are you doing Wildshape Ranger or Druid?

I just discovered the Wild Reaper variant druid in Dragon 311, which gets fast healing, fast ability healing, and turn undead at level 12.  Yes, that's a druid with DMM.

I'm going for Wildshape Ranger. I know it's worse than going Druid, but it's a mental thing.
I can't bring myself to loose all those caster levels if I'm a Druid, but if I'm a Ranger then it's okay.
Also I don't want to have any Animal Companion and that's also something I don't think you should give up on as a Druid.
I don't want to have to deal with any other characters, summons or undead creatures, I won't like the book-keeping.
So, it's either loose 10 caster levels and a very good companion or... loose 3 BAB pretty much.

Now to find a good item to push those AC bonuses onto. Either an Arm or a Body slot... hrrm.
Going to add a +4 Con bonus and either a +4 or +5 resistance bonus to saves onto the Robe of the Vagabond and planning on pushing up the deflection bonus on the Shadow Cloak from DotU.
Now it's just to decide if I should go for adding an armor bonus to an item or to go for a +1 Wild armor pf some sort. I suppose that depends on if I feel like I don't want to miss out on high DEX forms. Hrrm..
Oh and got to get some kind of miss chance as well. Never forget that. 200 000 gp to spend, 80% of that will go to defenses I think.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Carnap

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
Oh, guys, I'm amazed by you DnD-proficiency. I have to think how to create something on par with your characters.

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
I abstain. I just need to play, alignment is not an issue.

;)
Believe.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Oh, guys, I'm amazed by you DnD-proficiency. I have to think how to create something on par with your characters.

Don't worry, we'll help you find something you're happy with :D

So, part of my incantatrix idea doesn't work, but it's still possible if custom items are allowed.

Einherjar, how do you feel about Leadership?  I'm thinking about getting an Artificer cohort...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Harald

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 09:54:09 AM »
I abstain as well, concerning the alignment. If Evil, I'd rather be on the Lawful evil side.
 just to refine what I'm working on :

character one :
 pixie 4 - Dragonfire Adept 11.
32 point-buy + pixie modifiers: Str : 8  Dex : 20 Con : 16+2 =18 Int : 18 Wis : 16 Cha : 20.
Feats : Dodge, Weapon Finesse (Pixie feats) ; Draconic heritage (black dragon) (1rst), Entangling Exhalation  (3rd), Flyby Attack (6th), Quick Reconnoiter ( 9th). later feats : Darkstalker (12th), Improved Flight (15th).
Invocations : Magic Insight (1st), Endure Exposure (3rd), Voidsense (6th), Voracious Dispelling (8th), Chilling Fog (11th)
Breath effects : Frost Breath (2nd), Slow Breath (5th), Thunder or Sleep Breath (10th).

build purposes : recon & infiltration, mobility, battlefield control

character twoEDIT : crap. the second character won't work as intented if evil, Sacred Healing require Turn Undead, and I can't really be a LN paladin, nor a LG one in an evil team. 
So, LN Cleric 1 Hexblade 4- Binder 4- KoSS 3 then.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:03:44 AM by Harald »

Carnap

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
I have three playable ideas for characters.

1) (I presume that bloodlines works as they do RAI) Binder 1/Ardent 2/Anima Mage 5/Scion of Dantalion 2/Knight of the Sacred Seal 2 with some major bloodline (in order Binder 1/Ardent 1/Bloodline 1/Ardent +1/Anima Mage 1/Bloodline +1/Anima Mage +2/Scion of Dantalion 2/Anima Mage +1/Bloodline +1/Knight of the Sacred Seal 2/Anima Mage +1) which grants me EBL 22 and ML 17 (with practiced manifester).

2) Binder/Ur-priest/Anima Mage (playable, but I don't want to mess with such broad spelllist)

3) Straight Zceryll-focused binder.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Argh, now I'm second-guessing myself. :facepalm

Is the hellfire ur-lock too much of a one-trick pony?  I feel like it is... sigh.  Also, the fact that we have no arcane casters bothers me.

Plan #268: Can we re-fluff the Knight of the Weave to base it off of the Shadow Weave instead?  That way I could play my UM build (which I think I might like the best of all) and still be evil.  We can add shadow weave magic as a feat prerequisite...?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
Ur-Lock is a full divine caster. It's not a one trick pony at all. It's a full divine caster.

The lack of arcane casting is notable however. Why does KotW need to be shadow to be evil? I think an evil Weave user is way more interesting.

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »
If we have too many divine characters I can switch to the Rogue/Mountebank/Charlatan/Black Dog, but I won't go arcane.

Believe.