Author Topic: Most ineffective gestalt character ever  (Read 8962 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Most ineffective gestalt character ever
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
CW Samurai /// Monk
A samurai who gains a level in any class other than samurai may never again raise his samurai level, though he retains all his current samurai abilities. - Complete Warrior
A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.  -Players Handbook

So if you are restricted to two classes, you can't get past level 2 because you took a non monk level and a non samurai level.   :sofa
No you didn't.  Each level was a Monk level and a Samurai level.  This is gestalt we're talking about.  You have no Non-Monk or Non-Samurai levels.

Yes, they are, but as phrased, you are raising a class other than monk and a class other than samurai.  :p Obviously not what is *intended*, as otherwise these classes are ungestaltable past first level without feats, but it's an interpretation reasonable enough to be amusing.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
each side of the Gestalt is considered separately for the purpose of Multiclass Penalties ... exa:

xxxxx// Monk 20 .... nothing on the xxxxx side affects the Monk Class levels in any way as far as Multiclass penalties go

:D

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »
each side of the Gestalt is considered separately for the purpose of Multiclass Penalties ... exa:

xxxxx// Monk 20 .... nothing on the xxxxx side affects the Monk Class levels in any way as far as Multiclass penalties go

Okay, it looks like for the monk at least the part on Ex-Monks is a multiclassing penalty. I'll assume it's phrased similarly for paladins and samurai, because I'm too lazy to click a few links right now.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
correct ... just look at each side of the gestalt as separate entities as far as how they react to each other

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
the primary difference between Ex classes is ex monks keep their features.. they just cant keep gaining monk levels
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
heres a quick thought:

when Combining Full BAB base classes with Fighter, you are eliminating the Fighters Weaknesses and Boosting the other Class

Fighter//Hexblade ... gives a lot of Combat Ability(Trip,Bullrush,Disarm,Sunder) +boosting Accuracy and Damage(WF,WSpl,GWF,GWSpl,Weapon Mastery,Weapon Supremacy) and access to some nice Martial Manuvers(Martial Study, Martial Stance)

Fighter//Swashbuckler ... is the same

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
Even straight Fighter is pretty freakin' awesome IMO.  Its not capable of TO, but is very practical.  I don't see how combining full BAB and 11 feats would ever make anything weaker.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2010, 09:31:45 PM »
I think I've got it.

Fighter 1/CA Ninja 4/CW Samurai 7/Monk 8//Healer 1/Swashbuckler 4/Soulknife 7/Paladin 8

Result? MASSIVE experience penalties. By the time this guy reaches level 20, everyone else in his party is like level 40.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »
CW Samurai//Soulknife has pretty low synergy as well...and unless you name the class "Soul Fists" Soulknife//Monk is just a Monk with Wild Talent, Speed of Thought, and the ability to one shot a T-Rex at 13th level with Knife to the Soul.

I nominate Monk/Soulknife for worst gestalt class combination.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
1. CW samurai
2. Knight
3. DOUBLE CODE OF CONDUCT!!!
4. ? ?? ?? ?

5. PROFIT!1!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:34:49 PM by JohnnyMayHymn »
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Lol :D
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
CW Samurai//Soulknife has pretty low synergy as well...and unless you name the class "Soul Fists" Soulknife//Monk is just a Monk with Wild Talent, Speed of Thought, and the ability to one shot a T-Rex at 13th level with Knife to the Soul.

I nominate Monk/Soulknife for worst gestalt class combination.
CW Samurai//Soulknife is not a weak combo ... and has very good synergy look at the example i posted already, as for Monk//Soulknife, ...... this is not that bad ,you can use several feats to make it strong.... notice:
from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050110a

Flowing Blade [General]
Your mind blade is an extension of your body and soul, and you wield it with the same grace as your foot or fist.
Prerequisite: Ability to generate a mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), flurry of blows class feature.
Benefit: You can treat your mind blade as a special monk weapon so that you can perform a flurry of blows with it.
Special: A kalashtar or Inspired monk can select this as a bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level, in addition to the normal options available at those levels. They must still meet all prerequisites for the feat.

now you can Flurry with your Mindblade(2 handed) while Leap Attack and PA for lots of damage .... even throw a Flurry of Mindblades, combine with TWF tree, and you have lots of Thrown attacks(throwing +9 Bastard Swords around)

you can use Intuitive Attack and Zen Archery to be more single Attribute dependant...... Wis to Attack(Melee or Ranged), and to AC also you can pick Psionic Feats

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
So, what about Soulknife // Truenamer?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
this probably is relatively weak .... since it is trying to combine a Buffing/Debuffing class with a weak Martial Class ... neither really benefit the other it a synergestic way

the thing is if you start at high levels of play .... the Truenamer actually does have some very strong abilities ... since you can ignore any SR by increasing the Truespeach DC by only 5 ....... Unnaming(9th lvl Spell) takes out most anything ..... add an Admirals Bicorn and you increase the Truespeak radius to 100' range