Author Topic: Pokemon Showdown!  (Read 6476 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: Pokemon Showdown!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
Back when R/B/Y was the shit, I was a fan of Chansey.  On a related note, I got Chansey banned from the local tournament scene back then. 

Stupid modern generation stupid taking away the ability for Chansey to learn Seismic toss.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blissey

Set 3. Looks like it's still available, just not really worth it.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »
If I have to buy an entirely different game to get something in the one I'm playing, it doesn't count as being in the game I am playing.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
I like Lucario even if he isn't that good, same with blazikien.  Of the original Blastoise by far.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 01:31:06 AM »
I can't stand the new pokemon (by new, I mean Ruby/Sapphire and beyond.)

My favorite party as of yet, which I had on my Gold, was the following (though I can't remember their nicknames):

Typhlosion

Jolteon - my favorite

Tyranitar

Ho-oh (what an unfortunate name...)

Raichu (I regretted this choice)

Pidgeot (Filler)

My current team on diamond consists entirely of eevee evolutions:

[spoiler]Jolteon (Swift)
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Shadowball
Doublekick (this one may be purged to make room for thunder... I don't know.)

Vaporeon (Hydra)
Surf
Aqua Ring
Acid Armor
Aurora Beam

Flareon (Napalm) [This one needs work, but he still kicks face]
Fire Fang
Return
Ember
Fire Spin

Espeon (Sereph) [See Napalm]
Future Sight (hardly useful)
Swift
Confusion
Psybeam

Umbreon (Wraith) [Sooo much fun to use]
Quick Attack
Toxic
Faint Attack
Swagger

Glaceon (Frostburn) [not sure what direction I want to go with this one]
Bite
Icy Wind
Toxic
Swagger[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:41:09 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Surgo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • goes to eleven
    • Dungeons and Dragons Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 03:19:23 AM »
Quote from: OP
Who is your favorite pokemon?! How are your skills at the game?! Have you mastered the card game?! Share your exploits!!
I'd say my skills are pretty good. For a brief time around DP's American release for a couple months I was one of the top players in the world at the game. I have since stopped playing and now suck. As for the card game, I played it a bit back in the RBY days. There wasn't much to master back then, since Wigglytuff decks trounced everything else in a similar fashion to how Mewtwo trounced everything else in the actual game.

My favorite pokemon have always been Gengar, Hypno, and Mewtwo. With the release of Gold/Silver, I added Lugia to that list. I mostly like psychics.

I like Lucario even if he isn't that good
Lucario is one of the top OU pokemon.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:21:50 AM by Surgo »
Visit the Dungeons & Dragons Wiki, a place you can find quality content and upload your own homebrew stuff (provided that it's quality).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
The Stadium games deliberately stack the random number generator against you - when an enemy uses Fissure (instant KO move), it has an accuracy of 50%+ rather than 20%.

I never use Legendaries unless I'm desperate. They have no heart EVs. After losing to the R/S/E Elite Four again (I don't like grinding), I said "screw this" and set my level 70 Rayquaza on them (Rayquaza is a Dragon/Flying type as strong as Mewtwo)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:47 AM »
I like Lucario even if he isn't that good,

Lucario is probably one of the 5 best non-legendary pokemon there is...

I quitted playing on DS cuz of that IV breeding/EV training took forever (like a total of about hmm.. lets say, 24 hours per good pokemon)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »

Lucario is probably one of the 5 best non-legendary pokemon there is...

I quitted playing on DS cuz of that IV breeding/EV training took forever (like a total of about hmm.. lets say, 24 hours per good pokemon)
I never really could understand that system... I guess I'd feel its effects if I played online, though.
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
The Stadium games deliberately stack the random number generator against you - when an enemy uses Fissure (instant KO move), it has an accuracy of 50%+ rather than 20%.

Well that makes a few matches make sense. Stupid Horn Drill.

I never use Legendaries unless I'm desperate. They have no heart EVs. After losing to the R/S/E Elite Four again (I don't like grinding), I said "screw this" and set my level 70 Rayquaza on them (Rayquaza is a Dragon/Flying type as strong as Mewtwo)
Wait.... That's a bad thing?

No, not at all. :D

[snip]
There wasn't much to master back then, since Wigglytuff decks trounced everything else in a similar fashion to how Mewtwo trounced everything else in the actual game.[/snip]

QFTGT

First Round:Jigglypuff, Double Colorless, Pound for 20.
Second Round: Evolve into Wigglytuff, random energycard. Challenge! or just ordinary Bill/Oak produced full bench.
Hello 60 damage in your face. That's 80 over two rounds and the sick part is that since Jiggly's got 60 HP for a fricckin' basic you probably couldn't kil it in time.

[snip]
Jolteon (Swift)
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Shadowball
Doublekick (this one may be purged to make room for thunder... I don't know.)[/snip]

Don't. The damage difference between Thunderbolt and Thunder aren't that big and Thunder never hits, even though it's supposed to have 60% accuracy. My ass it has. Rather something like 30%
Besides, how many Electrical Attacks do you need anyway?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
Jolteon without HP Grass = fail.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Surgo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • goes to eleven
    • Dungeons and Dragons Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 02:49:07 AM »
Jolteon without HP Grass = fail.
That's really not true.

Jolteon can make good use of HP Grass (and HP Ice, which I think is (was) more preferable in DP), but the thing you have to remember about Jolteon is that he isn't Raikou. Jolteon, given his movepool, is generally more of a team player and type coverage is not exactly required. Jolteon is the fastest baton passer in the game, so you can BP away a substitute pretty well. After that you've got a free moveslot that isn't taken up by Thunderbolt, and that can be some viable things that aren't HP Grass: Wish and Yawn come to mind.

If you want to be gimmicky, you can try to Baton Pass a boost from Discharge (use it over Thunderbolt). In that case I'd probably want to have HP Grass or Ice around for the coverage so Swampert or whatever (does anyone even use Swampert anymore?) doesn't immediately ruin your day. HP Ice is good for Celebi or Salamence, though it's not like you can do anything to Celebi without a boost from Discharge.
Visit the Dungeons & Dragons Wiki, a place you can find quality content and upload your own homebrew stuff (provided that it's quality).