Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 200328 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1260 on: September 23, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm going for a Petal (MMIII). Namely, I'm basing it off of this post, which states its racial modifiers and notes that it has DR, flying, and tiny size. It's an LA +2 (cohort), so I figure I would just use the suggestion there and make it into a cohort. Plus, good stat boosts (just shit damage for being tiny). Though, I can see how it can get a nerf, seeing as some of the stat boosts are just damn amazing.

I basically gave it these qualities (based off of the MMIII... not sure if it's entirely correct), feel free to fix if I'm wrong:

Str -6, Dex +10, Con +4, Int +4, Wis +0, Cha +8
DR 5/cold iron
Base speed 15'/60' flying (good)
Tiny Fey
Low-light vision
LA +2

It has sleep-based abilities, but I just didn't care enough to judge whether or not they have it as a racial thing or not. I'm also doing LA buy-off, so it'll be ECL 3 when it joins (for the purposes of a lv 4 cohort at lv 6), one of that being LA. And I used 26 point buy (or whatever it was for elite array).

Rift Magus surprises me with every passing post. That's pretty sweet, really, having a +5 to maneuvers readied. Essentially, we'll have all our maneuvers known readied, correct? (Awesome, I feel like the equivalent to a sorcerer for maneuvers. Not like I know as many maneuvers as the next guy down, but I'm pretty good about it.)

Oh, and question about Feat Rogue: do feat rogue levels count towards being a fighter for the purposes of the weapon focus/spec. trees? Or will I have to pull ranged damage out of my ass without precision-based damage? Or just take a normal Rogue and pray to the feat gods for feats? (Also, removing medium armor proficiency and shield proficiencies (light, heavy) for a fighter bonus feat at lv 3. Or does that get me another one at lv 5?)

And finally, I'll take the crafting up (level 1 to 2). Is there a possibility of making elven leafweave padded armor while making the gun? Also, /facepalm at Max Dex. Thought I'd never have to bother with this pointless statistic... but atm I can't touch a Mythril Chainshirt, much less medium armor (looks like a rogue only loses evasion if I equip medium armor).

Ah, right. Forgot about the Sylph.
As for the Feat Rogue, it only draws from the Fighter list. You would need actual Fighter levels to get those feats (though if you all ready had them, then you wouldn't need ot ask).

And yes to the armor, provided you can afford all of the items.

Apparently, I need to read closer.

Quote from: AlienFromBeyond
Even though ToB says nonmartial adepts can ready a number of maneuvers equal to their Martial Study feats + the number that the PrC adds to how many you can ready?

I was under the impression of my previous statement being the case, and checking into the Bo9S, AFB is right.

Remember that I'm doing unarmed swordsage, so my attacks are all unarmed strikes or natural weapons, and shapeshifting variant Ranger, meaning I don't get the combat style feats. However, spell-less variant gives access to bonus feats, which can be used to gain twf-based feats. The problem is that I won't have a high enough dex to qualify for TWF feats, so I can't take those.

----
----
Average FP? Average FP!

Average FP is 1d3 flat. I was refering to your character's abilities being about the average. Some of your FP can solve the TWFing problems, and more can be earned along the way (plus magic items boosting it).

Interesting. I assume you haven't written up their stats then? I look forward to that, the changing your weapon moonstones in SoA was neat.

I'm still missing the Yellow and Blue abilities, and all of the Moon Crystals themselves, but the Red, Green, Purple, and Silver Moon Stone benefits have been stated (not priced, yet). SoA had some monsters that were weaker to certain types of moon stones being in your weapon, and I'm trying to copy that with some of the encounters (so memorize those).

As to the custom item, I'm looking into getting something with constant Undersong, which the DMG guidelines say would cost 3k (1st level spell, but 10/min a level means x1.5). And a +Perform item, unless there's one in a book?

Source for the spell? I'm assuimg The Underdark, due to name. As for the Preformance item, that is allowed. Most skill booster items are fine by me.

OK. I think you have to walk me through that. At ECL 4, I would be level 2 with 6000 xp. If I go Necropolitan then, I would be back to ECL 3 at level 1, with 3500xp (halfway = 4500xp, -1000)?

And then I will retrain Dragonwrought to Faerie Mysteries Initiate (since as Undead, losing stats at venerable no longer applies)?

Yes to both. Though be aware that doing so qualifies your partner for Lich Loved.

I think the Power Four is auto 1 FP.

Hmm... I know I brought this up before, but not here:

Sinfire, would Unholy Toughness (Cha to HP for Undead) be OK for a feat (compared with Faerie Mysteries' Int to HP)?

Compared to Faerie Mysteries, yes it would. Same effect, different stat.

Hey Sifir, know of any good defensive melds from other sources?  Or is MoI the best source for them?

Dragon Magic has about two melds for the Incarnate, but the best ones are in MoI. Otherwise, nothing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1261 on: September 23, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
How are you getting Wis to damage?

*points at soulbow mind arrows*

Aha! I'd forgotten about that.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1262 on: September 23, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
First off: Venn: according to Frostburn, there are five or so tiers of cold dangers.  Protections give a varied protection level, given in a +1, +2, +3 format.  With a base protection level.  The base protection level is your racial protection (fur, cold resistance, etc.), and you add to that external ones, like shelter or coats.  Cold resistance 5 gives a base of 3, and a coat will give you 4, which protects you from every tier of cold danger.  I might be wrong on the specifics, you'll have to check Frostburn, under "cold dangers" near the beginning (page 30ish?).

Sifir, how about melds?  How will they affect my bending?

Oh, and those DM ones suck for me, nothing of use except Blindsense, which I can get from bending if I wanted to.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1263 on: September 23, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
First off: Venn: according to Frostburn, there are five or so tiers of cold dangers.  Protections give a varied protection level, given in a +1, +2, +3 format.  With a base protection level.  The base protection level is your racial protection (fur, cold resistance, etc.), and you add to that external ones, like shelter or coats.  Cold resistance 5 gives a base of 3, and a coat will give you 4, which protects you from every tier of cold danger.  I might be wrong on the specifics, you'll have to check Frostburn, under "cold dangers" near the beginning (page 30ish?).

Sifir, how about melds?  How will they affect my bending?

Oh, and those DM ones suck for me, nothing of use except Blindsense, which I can get from bending if I wanted to.

They won't affect your bending unless we made a custom one, specifically for them. As for which ones to use, you don't need the Incarnate Weapon as much as normal Incarnates. Avatar, Spellward Shirt, Airstep Sandals, Apparition Ribbon, etc. are all good.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1264 on: September 23, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »
I mean my attacks with bending.  Specifically Tentacle+Bluesteel Bracers.  I'm not wielding the tentacle, but I am making the attack.  Would they get the damage boost?  I know that it would affect Water Whip since I am actually wielding the whip and attacking with it.

I might make a meld that works for bending later (kinda like the psionic ones), but not now.  I'm still not all too familiar with the system.  When I do though, the first one will effectively replace the attack bonus item benders have.

My current list of possibly useful melds:
Bluesteel Bracers
Acrobat Boots (I use balance often (or will) and tumble is a good thing to have)
Impulse Boots
Crystal Helm
Enigma Helm
Fellmist Robe
Keeneye Lenses (mainly for True Seeing later)
Incarnate Avatar (insight AC bonus is good, and fly speed isn't too shabby either)
Planar Chausible (cold resistance in a frostfell setting)
Sighting Gloves (for Water Blast, but will likely never use it)
Spellward Shirt
Strongheart Vest (yay reduction to stat damage!)
Vitality Belt (I likes me some HP, since I took Frail)
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1265 on: September 23, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »
I mean my attacks with bending.  Specifically Tentacle+Bluesteel Bracers.  I'm not wielding the tentacle, but I am making the attack.  Would they get the damage boost?  I know that it would affect Water Whip since I am actually wielding the whip and attacking with it.

I might make a meld that works for bending later (kinda like the psionic ones), but not now.  I'm still not all too familiar with the system.  When I do though, the first one will effectively replace the attack bonus item benders have.

My current list of possibly useful melds:
Bluesteel Bracers
Acrobat Boots (I use balance often (or will) and tumble is a good thing to have)
Impulse Boots
Crystal Helm Solid
Enigma Helm
Fellmist Robe Solid
Keeneye Lenses (mainly for True Seeing later)
Incarnate Avatar (insight AC bonus is good, and fly speed isn't too shabby either) I prefer Lawful, but Good is ok.
Planar Chausible (cold resistance in a frostfell setting)
Sighting Gloves (for Water Blast, but will likely never use it)
Spellward Shirt Solid, especially later on.
Strongheart Vest (yay reduction to stat damage!) Meh, unless abused with Str or Con damage-based effects
Vitality Belt (I likes me some HP, since I took Frail) Ok

It has to be a weapon you are wielding.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1266 on: September 23, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
Okay.  That makes Bluesteel Bracers decidedly less useful now, but my whip will still be nice to have it with.

The three melds I was looking at shaping now are Planar Chausible (to give myself an edge in the tundra), Crystal Helm (AC), and either Vitality Belt (my HP is a little low, I took average, btw) or Fellmist Robe.  Later I'm looking at mainly using Impulse Boots, Fellmist Robe, Crystal Helm, Spellward Shirt, Vitality Belt, and four others I haven't really decided on yet.  Likely Bluesteel Bracers, Incarnate Avatar, Strongheart Vest, and Planar Chausible, just because.

EDIT: Oh, and maybe the ones that grant enhancement bonuses to saves.  Pauldrons of Health, Enigma Helm, and Impulse Boots.  And possibly Adamant Pauldrons, but not likely.  It's DR and 25% fortification, but other things might be better.  I don't plan on being hit much.  Or trying not to be anyways.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:15:54 PM by dman11235 »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1267 on: September 23, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »
OK. I think you have to walk me through that. At ECL 4, I would be level 2 with 6000 xp. If I go Necropolitan then, I would be back to ECL 3 at level 1, with 3500xp (halfway = 4500xp, -1000)?

And then I will retrain Dragonwrought to Faerie Mysteries Initiate (since as Undead, losing stats at venerable no longer applies)?

Yes to both. Though be aware that doing so qualifies your partner for Lich Loved.

Would you allow Necropolitan for the kobold? It is supposed to be humanoid and monstrous humanoid only. The kobold's a dragon because of the DW feat. I am willing to drop the dragon type (but retain everything else of the feat) if you think that would help.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1268 on: September 23, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »
I've got a character sheet made up for the Shapeshift-Ranger//Totemist.

I think the soulmelds will give the build the day-to-day versatility the character needs. Not that Swordsage isn't versatile. This concept just synergizes better.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1269 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »

Source for the spell? I'm assuimg The Underdark, due to name.
Spell Compedium actually. Never understood the name of the spell myself.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #1270 on: September 23, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #1271 on: September 23, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Whew! First off, sorry for my absence. I was out of town for a wedding.

Now that I see that the bending system from the Avatar project is allowed, I'm thinking that Airbending would work well for my character. The Wis synergy with Cleric is good, and I'm already selecting the Air domain, so it fits thematically. I need to read up on it a bit, but I've seen a few episodes of the show, and it looks like a pretty cool ability. I'm a little worried about multiclassing with that, though.

Another idea - perhaps used in conjunction with bending, perhaps not. A Dragonfire adept dip would work well with Knowledge devotion, and is another good flavor fit. I'm working up a Eldritch-Disciple type PrC to hybridize DFA and Cleric. Venn, you said you were a DFA enthusiast, any idea whether I should go with this?

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1272 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »
Alright, I've finally written up a basic backstory, so I am now officially ready to go.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1273 on: September 24, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »
Whew! First off, sorry for my absence. I was out of town for a wedding.

Now that I see that the bending system from the Avatar project is allowed, I'm thinking that Airbending would work well for my character. The Wis synergy with Cleric is good, and I'm already selecting the Air domain, so it fits thematically. I need to read up on it a bit, but I've seen a few episodes of the show, and it looks like a pretty cool ability. I'm a little worried about multiclassing with that, though.

Another idea - perhaps used in conjunction with bending, perhaps not. A Dragonfire adept dip would work well with Knowledge devotion, and is another good flavor fit. I'm working up a Eldritch-Disciple type PrC to hybridize DFA and Cleric. Venn, you said you were a DFA enthusiast, any idea whether I should go with this?

Well, I think I actually said that Dragon Shaman is sort of a pet project of mine, trying to find ways to accentuate its features while improving it past the point of being an "ok, all the roles in the party are filled, so I'll just do a little of everything" class. I am a fan of DFA, though I've little experience with it or Eldritch Disciple.

After taking a look at it, Eldritch Disciple can easily be adapted to Dragonfire Adept/Cleric very easily, by simply changing the flavor text. All the abilities seem to match up. Essentially, Dragonfire Adept is just the Warlock only it doesn't need to bother with ranged touch attacks, has poor BAB (which doesn't affect your breath weapon), better HD, fewer invocations, but access to Breath . What I don't know about is the power level. Also, Eldritch Disciple doesn't advance eldritch blast/breath weapon damage, so that would limit you there as well.

What you specifically said, though, is that you want to hybridize the two classes, meaning you'd rather not simply adapt ED.
What in particular are you looking to combine? Spellcasting? Lore/Knowledge? (DfA least invocation Draconic Knowledge is great- +6 to all knowledge skills, which as cloistered cleric you have as class skills anyway).

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1274 on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
SiFir, can a Kensai's Signature weapon be a mind blade/mind arrows?

Edit: And I assume that I couldn't get an effective enhancement bonus of greater than +10 pre-epic?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:09:10 AM by Nanshork »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1275 on: September 24, 2008, 01:24:56 AM »
So, if Phaenix is swapping out Ranger for something else, we won't have anyone with Track as a feat, as I swapped Track/Swift-Tracker out for Trapfinding. It's probably going to be more useful than track, though I'm not sure what challenges we'll be going up against.

Speaking of which, anyone know what Favored Enemies might be most useful in this setting?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1276 on: September 24, 2008, 02:04:23 AM »
My cohort's got Urban Tracking (so we'd gain it at lv 6). As for Favored Enemies, well, I think constructs is a good one. *points at Gigas*

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1277 on: September 24, 2008, 02:10:29 AM »
I don't think all the Gigas are constructs. From the sounds of it, at least one is living. Whether Outsider or Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid remains to be seen.

Generally, I like Undead and Outsider (evil).

Phaenix

« Reply #1278 on: September 24, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
After taking a look at it, Eldritch Disciple can easily be adapted to Dragonfire Adept/Cleric very easily, by simply changing the flavor text. All the abilities seem to match up. Essentially, Dragonfire Adept is just the Warlock only it doesn't need to bother with ranged touch attacks, has poor BAB (which doesn't affect your breath weapon), better HD, fewer invocations, but access to Breath . What I don't know about is the power level. Also, Eldritch Disciple doesn't advance eldritch blast/breath weapon damage, so that would limit you there as well.

I started writing it up on the plane coming home. ED does advance Eldritch Blast, as it's technically an invocation (and called out as being advanced). My adaptation specifically advances breath weapon, and has a slightly different set of abilities to chose from.

Here's what I have so far. It's mostly a direct rip from ED:
[spoiler]Dragonfire Disciple:

Prereqs:
2nd level divine spells
Ability to use least invocations

Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks

Ability to turn or rebuke undead, dragons, or creatures with an elemental subtype.
Dragonblood subtype

BAB: Med
Good Saves: Fort, Will
Hit Die: D8
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot.

Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level.  You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one invocation-using class before becoming an eldritch disciple, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Spellcasting:
At each level beyond 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming an eldritch disciple, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Turn/Rebuke Undead: Your eldritch disciple level stacks with your other class levels for the purpose of determining your ability to turn or rebuke undead.

Breath Weapon: If you have a breath weapon with level-dependant effects (such as from the Dragonfire adept class), levels in Draconic Disciple stack with levels in the class that grants that ability for determining damage, range, or any other effect that varies by level. If you do not have a Breath Weapon with level-dependant effects, this class feature has no effect.

Dragonfire Channeling: At 1st level, you deepen the connection to the raw arcane magic of Dragonkind. Choose one of the following abilities at 1st level, and another ability every three levels thereafter (4th, 7th, and 10th level). You can spend one of your turn/rebuke attempts as a swift action to activate the chosen power.

Damage Reduction: You gain temporary damage reduction (overcome by magic) equal to your class level (minimum 1).This damage reduction stacks with the damage reduction granted by the dragonfire adept class. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum
1 round).

Healing Breath:  You can change your Breath Weapon into a healing breath. The breath heals living creatures instead of dealing damage to them (the damage healed is equal to the damage normally
dealt). Against undead, the healing breath deals damage as normal; against constructs or objects, the healing breath has no effect.

Energy Resistance: You gain resistance to two energy types equal to 10 + your class level. Choose the two energy types when selecting this ability. If you have the Draconic Heritage feat for a dragon that has an energy type associated with it, one of your choices must be that energy type. Once you choose the energy types, you may not change your choices. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier.

Energy Substitution: Choose one energy type, other than fire. If you have the Draconic Heritage feat for a dragon that has an energy type associated with it, you must choose that energy type. Once you choose the energy type, you may not change your choice. Breath weapon can do this energy type instead of fire. Unlike other dragonfire channeling abilities, this ability does not cost turn or rebuke attempts to activate. You may choose when breathing which energy type to use.

Frightful Presence: You can render a single living creature within 30 feet of you shaken for 1 round (Will negates; DC 10 + class level + Cha modifier). The creature's HD can't exceed your character level.

Draconic Senses: You sharpen your senses, gaining a bonus equal to 1/2 your class level (rounded down) on Listen, Spot, and Search checks. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier.[/spoiler]

It still needs something to replace Eldritch Spellweave, and a capstone ability, and maybe a Dragonfire Channeling ability having to do with knowledges, since that would be very useful to my character. I should probably put this up on the homebrew forum....

DfA least invocation Draconic Knowledge is great- +6 to all knowledge skills, which as cloistered cleric you have as class skills anyway.

This is exactly what got me thinking about DfA in the first place. That goes a long way towards making Knowledge devotion kick even more ass. It also frees up having to put a point in all the skills, since it allows you to make knowledge checks untrained.

Phaenix

« Reply #1279 on: September 24, 2008, 02:24:55 AM »
I don't think all the Gigas are constructs. From the sounds of it, at least one is living. Whether Outsider or Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid remains to be seen.

Generally, I like Undead and Outsider (evil).

Yeah, I had chosen Undead, since according to the setting text, they're quite common on many of the mid-ocean islands. That's one thing I'll miss from Ranger.

So, if Phaenix is swapping out Ranger for something else, we won't have anyone with Track as a feat, as I swapped Track/Swift-Tracker out for Trapfinding. It's probably going to be more useful than track, though I'm not sure what challenges we'll be going up against.
I'm not too sure how useful Track is going to be on flying ships. Can things leave tracks through the air?