Author Topic: Ranger Build  (Read 2294 times)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Ranger Build
« on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »
Dictum had a wonderful ranger build which I can't find, so here is one inspired by my memory of his.  (Surely somewhat different)

Strongheart Halfling

Ranger 20
Alternative Class Features
- Arcane hunter [CM] - Spellcasters as favored enemies
- Trap expert [Du] - Trap and swift tracker -> Trapfinding as rogue
- Urban Companion [CS web] - animal companion -> familiar+
- combat styles -> Wildshape Ranger (as druid, small or medium), + fast movement

Feats:
B - Wise to your ways (spellcaster) [Gh]
1 - Nemesis (Spellcaster) [BoED]
3 - Darkstalker [LoM]
6 - Sword of the Arcane Order [CoV]
9 - Improved Familiar
12 - Dragon Wildshape (Ex and Su, Small and Medium)
15 - Extra Favored Enemy [Gh] (assume this works as it should instead of as it does)
18 - Practiced Spellcaster

End Result:

Cast wizard and Ranger spells of up to 4th level with CL = 14
+12 to skills, saves, vs. spellcasters, +12+1D6 to damage, can sense within 60'
Wildshape into Dragon
Improved Urban Companion (*3/4 HP, no exp cost improved familiar)

Things I thought about:
- Shooting Star sub levels - I ended up favoring the Improved Urban companion, as that is more fun, and still very useful (with no exp cost - change in out every level!)
- Swift Hunter - I ended up not doing that, as it costs at least 1 feat, +2 FE for +5D6.  But with this build that means:  +4 to save, damage, skills vs. spellcaster vs. +5D6 damage.  The loss of saves is quite a hit, so I don't think it really is an improvement.
- I would go mystic ranger if dragon mag. was in (but loss of the Improved urban Companion is a shame)

Feedback?

Best,
David
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:16:24 AM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Ranger Build
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:42:51 AM »
Combine with bane weapons and a means of making sure critters and creatures have at least 1 SLA or spell, and you get all your benefits against every single enemy you face.  Is Imbue with Spell Like Ability (assuming it's level 1-4) a "harmless" or "no save" spell?  :devil
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:51:59 AM »
Combine with bane weapons and a means of making sure critters and creatures have at least 1 SLA or spell, and you get all your benefits against every single enemy you face.  Is Imbue with Spell Like Ability (assuming it's level 1-4) a "harmless" or "no save" spell?  :devil

It's a good idea, but Imbue doesn't work (will negates, 10 min casting time)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbuewithspellability.htm

Still, at high levels virtually everyone has some spellcasting ability. 

Best,
David
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
Oh, and about familiars ... it says "use the master's HD" ... does that mean that your familiar is an advanced familiar, and gets size increases (with all associated benefits)?  Bonus feats from HD?  +1 to an ability score every 4 HD?

Thanks,
David

[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:13 AM »
Oh, and about familiars ... it says "use the master's HD" ... does that mean that your familiar is an advanced familiar, and gets size increases (with all associated benefits)?  Bonus feats from HD?  +1 to an ability score every 4 HD?

Thanks,
David

Well, if they work anything like psicrystals or improved familiars they do.  Pseudodragons for example have feats by HD.

By the way, not to derail, but didn't you also make Nuclear Dan?  I couldn't find him here on the boards and am working on a firemage :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
Why no Mystic Ranger? Sure it slows the Fav. Enemy progression, but should be well worth it.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »
- I would go mystic ranger if dragon mag. was in (but loss of the Improved urban Companion is a shame)

I agree ...

[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »

I agree ...

This was my initial reaction til I read the "if Dragon Magazine was in" part.  MR+Wildshape = win.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!