Author Topic: Supermount Info  (Read 5048 times)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Supermount Info
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
Could we get a small repository of information on the Supermount? I've looked into it before, but due to not being able to go onto the wizards boards, I can't learn my stuff, which makes me a sad panda.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Supermount Info
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »
The basics are, I believe, 5 levels of Paladin to get access to a special mount, followed by a level of Beastmaster to get an Animal Companion. Then you take Devoted Tracker, which lets you designate your AC as your Special Mount, and go into Wild Plains Outrider. WPO allows you to add your WPO level to your effective Druid or Paladin level to determine the abilities of your Special Mount or Animal Companion... but thanks to Devoted Tracker they're one and the same, so the argument goes that it advances both. That's the basics of it, what comes afterwards really depends on the build. There's a build with Ashworm Dragoon and one with some PrC that gives you a Griffon. The most famous build is probably the Strongheart Halfling that takes Dragon Steed to ride a 27 HD Wyrmling Gold Dragon.

EDIT: More Halfling-specific, Halfling Outrider would seem to explicitly add its class level to your effective Paladin, Druid, and Ranger level.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:25:27 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
So the Halfling Outrider would count twice towards the levels?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
I dunno. I guess it's one interpretation. Getting +20 to both Paladin and Druid level just from taking 10 levels in a class seems just good enough to not be true, though. Since even the WotC archives ar down, I can't confirm, unfortunately. Should've saved that thread when I looked it up two days ago...
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
Halfling Outrider class levels stack with Paladin, Druid, AND Ranger levels for determining the characteristics....
Emphasis mine.

It would seem to me like it is read that way, but I agree, it is too good to be true.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
What about riding a Dinosaur. As effective?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
Don't see why not. The coolness factor remains, it's one less feat, and you can get all that pouncing Fleshraker goodness. AFAIK, the main appeal of a gold dragon is that the HD increase would be applied to its dragon HD, which are the best racial HD in the game (full BAB, all good saves, d12 HD, 6+Int skill points). It also gets access to Alternate Form and heaps of dragon-only feats, though, which is another bunch of H4XX.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:25:13 PM »
I'll also add that bloodlines from Unearthed Arcana/SRD count as class levels when calculating any character ability based on his class levels so each bloodline level is +1 level for the mount and animal companion.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:33 AM »
Don't see why not. The coolness factor remains, it's one less feat, and you can get all that pouncing Fleshraker goodness. AFAIK, the main appeal of a gold dragon is that the HD increase would be applied to its dragon HD, which are the best racial HD in the game (full BAB, all good saves, d12 HD, 6+Int skill points). It also gets access to Alternate Form and heaps of dragon-only feats, though, which is another bunch of H4XX.
Don't they get spells? That's a definite one-up over a fleshraker... dragons even get to pick from the cleric list.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
Don't they get spells? That's a definite one-up over a fleshraker... dragons even get to pick from the cleric list.
I'm fairly sure on no spells, because they do not increase in age categories, only HD. Therefore, not old enough to have spells.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »
Oh, right. Like medium animal companions don't grow large with added HD. Actually, I don't know where I got that from, Errata, Rules Compendium, or FAQ, but I'm pretty sure you're right. My apologies.

In my defense, he did say great wyrm gold dragon. I seem to remember the hospitaler's holy liberator's ability or somesuch was different on that point, though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:40:30 AM by Suzerain »

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »
Disclaimer: there's only one 'supermount' type build I've looked at beyond a cursory glance, and it doesn't actually work.

I dunno. I guess it's one interpretation. Getting +20 to both Paladin and Druid level just from taking 10 levels in a class seems just good enough to not be true, though. Since even the WotC archives ar down, I can't confirm, unfortunately. Should've saved that thread when I looked it up two days ago...

It doesn't get +20 to each. It gets enough to bump it up into the maximum range of the table. Here's Caelic's old example from the classic Supermount! thread:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071102193334/http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=382372

Quote from: Caelic
Just for instance: A Strongheart Halfling Paladin5/Beastmaster2/Aglarondian Griffonrider1/Halfling Outrider 10/Cavalier2 with the Natural Bond feat winds up with an effective Druid level of 18 and an effective Paladin level of 17--guaranteeing maximum bonuses from both to his mount, which in this case is his griffon. This results in a Huge Griffon of 27+135 hit dice with Str36, Dex19, Con20, a BAB of +20, base saves of +15/+15/+9, nine feats, and all of the special powers possible for both an animal companion and mount.

Tsuyo's Ubermount build gets maxed Companion and Familiar and Special Mount, but requires Dragon magazine material.

I don't know if this would be effective at all, but the dragon could Alternate Form into a fleshraker, gaining its poison attacks and leaping pounce, if needed. (Venomfire ahoy.)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:05:18 AM »
For what it's worth, here's 2 Supermount! builds that I made.  The first was just to explore the idea myself, and the second was for an E6 game that I played.  The ACFs are very useful - one (Wary Swordknight) helps with survival ranks, while the spell-less paladin gives a free feat, and the planar paladin gives celestial mount for only 1 more paladin level.

Warning:

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »
In my defense, he did say great wyrm gold dragon. I seem to remember the hospitaler's holy liberator's ability or somesuch was different on that point, though.
Really? I distinctly remember saying 'Wyrmling', not 'Great Wyrm'. It's a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless. ;)
The most famous build is probably the Strongheart Halfling that takes Dragon Steed to ride a 27 HD Wyrmling Gold Dragon.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
Really? I distinctly remember saying 'Wyrmling', not 'Great Wyrm'. It's a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless. ;)
Um, I'm old, my eyes don't work like they used to? I was tired? Drunk? ;) Yeah, I got nothin'. My bad.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
Nice build.
iirc - a Bloodlines version of Supermount has never been done.
also sticking in one level of Faith Scion from the srd:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm#theFaithScion
obviously a port of Weapons of Legend.

So fit in Bloodline X 3 / Faith Scion 1
and take out 4 levels of something
would add 6 levels to the base build value of Supermount,
and increase each class by +3.
It works, and makes the mount that much cheesier-ly better.
Might make a few more 1 level dips worth doing.

This isn't something I know much about, but it has given me a few ideas ...  :smirk

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
The bloodlines version doesn't work. Its by table, not a calculation.

6th be careful. Since supermounts can get strong (considering they use no magic) and interpretation of what the text means becomes inconcise, particularly with dragon magazine material.

Thats probably why there is no handbook on it. The companion stuff was never really supposed to stack into one supercreature much stronger than a straight class could get.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:48:22 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:23 PM »
Didymus:[spoiler]
6th char: Class Training (Paladin): Animal Mount (advances from 5-7 to 8-10)
[/spoiler]

From whence comes this feat? I've never heard of it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
Didymus:[spoiler]
6th char: Class Training (Paladin): Animal Mount (advances from 5-7 to 8-10)
[/spoiler]

From whence comes this feat? I've never heard of it.
E6, I assume.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
Note that as per the errata, Bloodlines do not help animal companions.  It's annoying.  I made a build that used them a while back, but it's no longer legal.

JaronK