Author Topic: Good higher level PsyWar powers?  (Read 1711 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Good higher level PsyWar powers?
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:23:37 AM »
I looked through the SRD, and didn't see too many cool options for 5th and 6th level powers for Psychic warriors.  (The only one i like was the one which gave you frightful presence)  Anyone want to point out what I've missed or name a splat-book power that's good for PsyWars?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Good higher level PsyWar powers?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »
There are four really good 5-6th level powers to take: oak body, for immunities (and sundry bonuses); dispelling buffer, which is great for a warrior who relies primarily on buffing himself to prevent a single spell ruining his day; personal mind blank, because it's just so damned good; and form of doom, which is great not only for the frightful presence quality, but for extra attacks, and assorted (really nice) bonuses.

Of course, psychic warriors can also make use of research to nab any 6th level power or below, from any other class's power list. This means you can grab powers that are absolutely fabulous for psywars, such as mind switch, second chance, null psionics field (but generally only when used on your psicrystal, or if you use some other trick with it to prevent your own buffs from getting fizzled), temporal acceleration, psionic overland flight, psionic contingency, psionic disintegrate, psionic true seeing, and power resistance.

Also note you can use your higher level power slots for lower level powers that you couldn't get before, which augment to be just as useful (or nearly so) as powers of higher levels. Some even autoscale, such as metamorphosis.

And don't forget that your psychic warrior is completely capable of changing out his powers known to suit his situation, via psychic reformation, so if you don't like your powers now you can always swap 'em out.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
from the base PW power list:

Adapt Body is also a very nice Long Duration buff.... useful especially if your party goes plane hopping a lot

Form of Doom is nice.... but has a MAJOR limitation,... you must be in "your own form" to benifit from it.... usually at higher levels many characters rely on Polymorph/Metamorphosis to get a stronger form(thus if you want other forms for combat... Form of Doom is a bad choice).... advantages... works with Bite of Wolf and Claws of the Beast... and Expansion.... if you have these three powers.... it can be awesome

Inconstant Location(Complete Psionics) ... is an Awesome power for any Melee character, Duration 1 minute, great for tactical movement and frees up your move actions so you can refocus(Psi Meditation) and still move.....give you a swift action teleport

Anticipatory Strike(complete psionics)....always go first ignore Initiative :D

Empower Weapon (Complete Psionics) - Psiwarrior 5- permanent until discharged, store ANY power = Manifester lvl -4 in any weapon(limit to 1 Empowered weapon at a time.... very useful to prep for battle by storing a power days beforehand and save PP

Perfect Riposte (Complete Psionics)- PW 5 -......nice....1rnd/ML...gives you 1 AoO/rnd vs anyone attacking you and Missing

Planar Apotheosis(Complete Psionics)- gives SR/PR, Darkvision, Smite, and something else... long duration, very handy

Rage of the Remorhaz(Complete Psionics)- ... 6d6 fire damage to anyone who hits you in melee, nice duration .... useful, incourages people to avoid hitting you in melee...... drawback... smarter foes will switch to Ranged.... it is a great power for a Grappler ;)

:D

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:02:27 AM by carnivore »

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
There are four really good 5-6th level powers to take: oak body, for immunities (and sundry bonuses); dispelling buffer, which is great for a warrior who relies primarily on buffing himself to prevent a single spell ruining his day; personal mind blank, because it's just so damned good; and form of doom, which is great not only for the frightful presence quality, but for extra attacks, and assorted (really nice) bonuses.

Of course, psychic warriors can also make use of research to nab any 6th level power or below, from any other class's power list. This means you can grab powers that are absolutely fabulous for psywars, such as mind switch, second chance, null psionics field (but generally only when used on your psicrystal, or if you use some other trick with it to prevent your own buffs from getting fizzled), temporal acceleration, psionic overland flight, psionic contingency, psionic disintegrate, psionic true seeing, and power resistance.

Also note you can use your higher level power slots for lower level powers that you couldn't get before, which augment to be just as useful (or nearly so) as powers of higher levels. Some even autoscale, such as metamorphosis.

And don't forget that your psychic warrior is completely capable of changing out his powers known to suit his situation, via psychic reformation, so if you don't like your powers now you can always swap 'em out.

Dispelling buffer was already on my "want" list, i just forgot.  I'm a bit leery about how oak body interacts with other abilities I would have on my Psywar, so it gets a pass, and i'm not sure about how useful power resistance is.  The rest all look interesting.  Would Schism and Second Chance be useful for a psywar?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »
PR is as useful as SR would be to you, remember transparency. And if your DM isn't using transparency then they are insane and you should have them committed, or abuse it until they see the err of their ways.

Schism would be wonderful for a Psi. War. as you let the second mind cast your buffs that don't have a heavy ML requirement. I don't know second chance. if you want to get cheesy you could research the power in RoD and break the action mechanic.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:06 PM »
Inconsistent Location is ballin'.