Author Topic: Interesting Spell List  (Read 6118 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Interesting Spell List
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
Okay, there's already plenty of posts where people write about all the spells they absolutely love and how they break the game and how those other spells are total turkeys. People write handbooks, they write reviews, etc. There's also some good threads about weak and weird spells you make good.

This is a slightly different thread. Here are the rules:

• You have to have actually used the spell in a game, preferably in a few games.
  • The spell probably shouldn't be "obviously awesome". I mean, everyone knows about the no-brainer spells, I guess.
  • One spell per post, please. If the thread takes off, I'll make a few organizing entries in this post that will help people navigate the list.
  • Stay away from spells with significant rules debates, or that only become really interesting when you do something "sneaky".

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Re: Interesting Spell List
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »
Conviction, Mass, Clr3

From the Spell Compendium, this spell is a really good cleric buff. When you pick it up, it will buff your party with +2 to all their saves for 10 minutes per level. This gets better as your CL goes up, eventually to +5 to all saves. The duration means that by midgame (level 10+) this is effectively all-day in certain campaigns. Finally, this is NOT a resistance bonus, so it stacks with cloaks of resistance.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
Detect thoughts counts? I really, really love that spell, even if it isn't useful in optimization theory. Early on, it can solve a lot of intrigues/diplomacy.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Hallow/Unhallow and forbidance

Nothing says fuck you like a hallowed  church that gives death ward with some forbidance on it.  Hello mister evil lich wizard, bye bye mister evil lich wizard.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Cleric 5

When more bonuses to attack/damage are needed... plus it's an AoE spell.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »
Speak With Animals  :sh
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
Amber Sarcophagus

A spell that almost no one knows because of its school and the book he is in.

Evocation, Book of Exalted Deeds. Ranged touch attack, no save throw, Ends fight and puts enemy in coma for CL days.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Dead_Weasel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »
Amber Sarcophagus

A spell that almost no one knows because of its school and the book he is in.

Evocation, Book of Exalted Deeds. Ranged touch attack, no save throw, Ends fight and puts enemy in coma for CL days.
O_o

I have said it before and I will say it again: time hop. But this spell... intrigues me.

Squash Monster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
Transposition Trick

The two targets switch positions and appearances.  Great way to cause a whole lot of confusion, and works as a much more aggressive version of Baleful Transposition.  For example, your gang of bandits can start arguing in the presence of a party you wish to mug, with everybody getting angry at your BSF.  Your wizard Transposition Tricks their wizard with the BSF and the argument gets so bad as to become a fight.  Once your "fighter" is down, you pick a fight with the other party and their "wizard" starts killing their archer.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »
Ferocity of the Sanguine Rage
Sorcerer/Wizard 3, Assassin 4

1/2 CL as damage bonus on your attacks and you can expend the effect to activate a True Strike effect...
For all your gishy needs  :D

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
Benign Transposition from the Spell Compendium

Its simply said, bloody useful. Switch position of any of your two party members on the battlefield. I've seen the conjurer in my game pull the severely injured fighter away from harm, replaced by one of his expendable summons.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

Where can this be found?

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »

Where can this be found?

Dragon Magic :)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
Righteous Fury

It's one of the few spells a paladin can persist and DMM persisting this spell turns you pally into more of a monster

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 12:38:24 AM »
Girralon's blessing (SC) Wiz 3
Double the rogue's damage and give +2 to hit?  Yes please.  It's a real winner on my wizard (heading for ur theurge).  Haste on the newly added BSF is also good, but we know that.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
Stone Shape
Our group must have abused this spell more than anyone else in the world. From making holes to places we were not meant to access to trapping baddies who were supposed to get away. For example, insta-killing an aboleth at 6th level:
It went unbelievably well thanks to Stone Shape. I wildshaped into a small octopus and used an array of sneaking spells and Stone Shape to make secret passages (wormholes :)) in his lair. Eventually I stoneshaped a several ton boulder off cave ceiling and dropped it on him. Splat. We will never know if he was mage. :)

tarbrush

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »
Mindrape. (BoVD)

It solves all your problems.  And everyone elses too.
Although it is admittedly kinda 3e

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
Targeting Ray
Sorcerer/Wizard 3

Enemy hit by this provides all your allies +1/3 CL on attack rolls. Nice when you have a party full of melee guys or to help your summons hit better.

On a side note, anyone knows about a cleric spell that grants damage reduction to various targets, or a debuff that reduces damage dealt?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
Vision of Glory Clr1/Pal1 (spell compedium I think)
Target gets your charisma bonus to any single saving throw. 

This is good, but not great, until you get to the flavor text and combine it with a metamagic.

"You  touch  your  ally,  and  her  eyes mist  over momentarily. You know  she  is  seeing  an image  of  her  deity,  imploring  her  to  battle in his name."

Add in invisible spell, and stand in front of the target.  You are now the vision they see that gives them the strength to endure.  Great for starting a cult.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:58:58 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »
Another one from BoED: Lastai's Caress. It's a level 2 no save that reduces your evil opponent to shaken/frightened/nauseated/cowering (random each round). You can also make non-evil creatures love you... for 1 round/level. Go tiger.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills