Author Topic: In need of SAGA advice (Optimization)  (Read 3348 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
In need of SAGA advice (Optimization)
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »
Hi, everyone.

Here's the thing. We're playing a SAGA campaign. My character's a Jedi who just so happens to not care enough about the Dark Side to avoid using Force Lightning, but who DOES happen to care enough not to let it get to his head (stupid GM rule about becoming an NPC if you get too many DSPs *shakes fist*).

I need general optimization advice on this guy. He's likely going for Jedi Knight then Jedi Master, 'cuz, you know. The Force IS his thing.

So far I've been trying to keep my options fairly spread out (picking up Force Perception so as to not depend on regular Perception, for example), but I'm afraid I might be focusing a little too much. I've already picked up three Force Training feats, for example...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: In need of SAGA advice (Optimization)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »
There's the obvious Skill Focus (UTF). Are you planning on using UTF as your major skill and picking up more talents along the lines of Force Perception? If you're actually trained in Pilot, Starship Tactics isn't a bad investment. Also, what Force powers have you selected with those three Force Trainings?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
There's the obvious Skill Focus (UTF). Are you planning on using UTF as your major skill and picking up more talents along the lines of Force Perception? If you're actually trained in Pilot, Starship Tactics isn't a bad investment. Also, what Force powers have you selected with those three Force Trainings?

I already picked up Skill Focus.  :D

Chances are, I'm probably better off with using UTF as my main source of attack and leaving sabering as a secondary resource since my STR isn't very high (I chose to prioritize Wis, Cha and Dex instead, and my Con's only a 12). As for which talents I'll pick along the way, I'm not really sure...

Now, let's see if I remember which ones I picked up.

Force Lightning, Move Object, Mind Trick, Surge, Force Grip, Rebuke, Force Shield, Force Slam and Negate Energy. Yeah, I think that's all of them.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »
Well, if you're planning on using the Force for offense, I'd take Force Boon for the three extra Force Points/level, along with some of the Force secrets/techniques you should pick up later when you move into Knight and Master (Force Point Recovery is excellent). If your Dex is much higher than your Strength, I'd look into Weapon Finesse/Ataru as a precaution, should you be forced into saber combat.

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Lands Beyond Reality...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:42:18 AM »
Chances are, I'm probably better off with using UTF as my main source of attack and leaving sabering as a secondary resource since my STR isn't very high (I chose to prioritize Wis, Cha and Dex instead, and my Con's only a 12). As for which talents I'll pick along the way, I'm not really sure...

If you want to pick up a level of Noble, you could could use the Noble Fencing Style talent (KotOR) to substitute Charisma for your attack.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:07:41 AM »
Well, if you're planning on using the Force for offense, I'd take Force Boon for the three extra Force Points/level, along with some of the Force secrets/techniques you should pick up later when you move into Knight and Master (Force Point Recovery is excellent). If your Dex is much higher than your Strength, I'd look into Weapon Finesse/Ataru as a precaution, should you be forced into saber combat.

I may have to pick Force Boon up anyway; FP expenditure is growing rapidly on the last few sessions.

I've got Weapon Finesse already, but between say, Ataru and that other form that lessens deflect penalties, I think I'd rather take the latter...

If you want to pick up a level of Noble, you could could use the Noble Fencing Style talent (KotOR) to substitute Charisma for your attack.

My Dex is higher than my Cha, so that shouldn't be necessary.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »
Also: does anyone have ANY clue what the Force Technique Improved Kinetic combat is for? What's the use of telekinetically controlling three melee weapons if you can only attack with one at a time?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:30:34 AM »
To show off, probably.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
To show off, probably.

Well, the weapons DO threaten all squares around them, so it could work for some pseudo-battlefield control... But that's about it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

highbulp

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:26:49 AM »
Also: does anyone have ANY clue what the Force Technique Improved Kinetic combat is for? What's the use of telekinetically controlling three melee weapons if you can only attack with one at a time?

Not bothering to look up the rule, can you attack with more than one if you have Dual Weapon Mastery or Double/Triple Attack? If not, then just being able to pick which of 3 locations to attack could be something I guess.

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:33:14 AM »
If I remember correctly The Force Adept and Force Master(?) classes are better for a Force Wizard type Force User, but I'm not positive on that.  Maybe look into that?

bearchucks

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Being Batman...with chainsaw bearchucks
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Skills increase by 1/2 level.  Defenses increase by 1/level. BAB for combat characters increases by 1/level  At 10th level, your skill bonus will be CHA+16.  At 10th level, a given defense will be 22+class+ability+other.  Assuming a reasonably optimized character...you end up with a defense around 25+ability.

So half the time, any skill-based attack that targets a defense...fails.

as a Jedi, your BAB increases by 1/level.  There are a lot of very nice Jedi powers that don't target defenses.

My own personal advice for playing a Jedi?  Start in Soldier.  Lots of nice feats, versatility with the blasters...more skills (this is especially painful for Jedi).  Oh, if you're started in Jedi and plan on just going straight through?  Focus on defensive and utility powers.  Yes, throwing force powers around is fun...until they all start to fail.

Force Wizardry stops being useful around Jedi Master, except against large clouds of mooks.  The best even-level fighters?  They're Soldier-based.  Or Jedi/Soldier mixed.  SAGA encourages multiclassing to fit your concept rather than your class.  This is probably my favorite thing aboout SAGA--that character is bigger than class because the classes are really just a bunch of connected abilities you pick and throw together.
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf  The smallest, shortest, simplest ruleset of any RPG I've ever seen.  If 3.5 is too complex and you don't like 4.0, try this.  It has very few rules and is just short of freeform.