Author Topic: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting  (Read 27618 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:22 AM »
I posted my sheet a little back. I have spot and listen covered, but not sneak.
If you want to go Ranger (not sure what "SWV" means), Venn, there's a class substitution level that lets you trade your Track for trapfinding, something our group currently lacks.

I had planned on that.

Basically, Sublime Way Variant Ranger removes the weapon style feats and spellcasting in favor of the maneuver progression of the Warblade (from Tome of Battle). Its base martial disciplines are Shadow Hand (stealth, cold, sort of necromancy oriented maneuvers), Tiger Claw (wild, nature/barbarian style oriented maneuvers), and a homebrew discipline, Falling Star, which is archery-oriented. However, it has the option to replace one of those disciplines with another one from a set list (pretty much giving access to any of the schools except Setting Sun and Diamond Mind). This would give me access to Devoted Spirit, which works similar to some of the Leader-role classes from 4E, in that rather than just outright healing their team members, they still make attacks and operate directly in combat, and secondary effects allow your allies to get some much-needed healing and bonuses, and there are some for debuffing enemies.

However, they only get a very limited amount of maneuvers to know at any given time. This is balanced by being able to recover expended maneuvers (like prepared spells that have been cast already) by spending a swift action. Unlike the Warblade, who needs to spend his standard action that round by attacking or by doing nothing, the SWV Ranger needs to spend its move action that round either moving at least 10', or by spending it to hide.

Mixing it with the Dark Template gives me just as sneaky a character as the swordsage I spoke of earlier, and using the Trap Expert variant, I can gain the trapfinding feature as you mentioned. I'd probably end up mixing Shadow Hand and Devoted Spirit maneuvers to make a sneaky character that can aid its teammates. Alternatively, I could go with a different blend of maneuvers, if there's no need for healing afterall.

AJ, did you have an idea of what you're going with for your character? Obviously you want to be a Leader, since you're building up an Egalitarian Kingdom. I was just wondering how you were going to achieve it. :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:24:14 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2008, 04:25:14 AM »
You realise that Dark template has an LA and this game doesn't have LA buyback, right? Just checking :)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:40 AM »
You realise that Dark template has an LA and this game doesn't have LA buyback, right? Just checking :)

Yes, which is why it would be better using it with a martial character than a caster, such as Beguiler.

I don't have to use a template, of course, but it's an interesting option. I'm fully aware of the consequences of templates.  :P

In the case of the Dark template, it's like taking a level in a class that just doesn't give me hit points, and doesn't count toward my initiator level. It does, however, have good benefits, like bonuses to skills, a boost to speed, and also a cool, if sometimes limited, ability, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:52:25 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2008, 05:09:31 AM »
OK :) Just that I won't touch that with a bargepole. Think about Shadowdancer if you want HiPS. I think they get it.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2008, 05:34:47 AM »
OK :) Just that I won't touch that with a bargepole. Think about Shadowdancer if you want HiPS. I think they get it.

Except, for a single level of Shadowdancer, I'd need to spend 5 ranks of my skill points on Perform (Dance), and three feats on Dodge, Mobility, and Combat Reflexes. Those aren't bad feat, but my feats are a bit limited. And for all that, all you get is Hide in Plain Sight and that extra HD. Dark gives you HiPS, Resist Cold 10, +10 feet all speeds, +8 Hide/+6 Move Silently, Darkvision/superior-lowlight. For a +1 LA, that's not bad.

Now, on the flip side, there is an item that gives you the Dark template. It costs 10,800gp for 10min/day, or 22,000 gp for a continuous version. I don't currently have that much, and I don't know when or if I will.

Again, I can easily operate without the template. It's just an option, and one that is commonly viewed as a pretty good one. :)
---
Also remember that Rangers get HiPS through natural progression. The normal version is only in natural environments, but there are variants that open that up. :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:42:10 AM by VennDygrem »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2008, 06:38:56 AM »
Alright, I think I've got my ideas narrowed down to a skill-monkey, an evil monk-gish, or the fallen paladin.  Contemplating playing a historian just because it fits with the campaign setting so well, but probably won't.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »

Except, for a single level of Shadowdancer, I'd need to spend 5 ranks of my skill points on Perform (Dance), and three feats on Dodge, Mobility, and Combat Reflexes. Those aren't bad feat, but my feats are a bit limited. And for all that, all you get is Hide in Plain Sight and that extra HD. Dark gives you HiPS, Resist Cold 10, +10 feet all speeds, +8 Hide/+6 Move Silently, Darkvision/superior-lowlight. For a +1 LA, that's not bad.

Now, on the flip side, there is an item that gives you the Dark template. It costs 10,800gp for 10min/day, or 22,000 gp for a continuous version. I don't currently have that much, and I don't know when or if I will.

Again, I can easily operate without the template. It's just an option, and one that is commonly viewed as a pretty good one. :)
---
Also remember that Rangers get HiPS through natural progression. The normal version is only in natural environments, but there are variants that open that up. :D
Go for it :)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »

---
Go for it :)

Sorry if I sounded like an ass there. >_> <_<
It's very very late where I am right now.

Anyway, I'm still not entirely sure which path to take, so I'll have to think more on this soon.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »
Nah. You didn't. I'm just tired of trying to debate with the howling ferrous cretinous that we have here and it showed.

Anyway, I would first sort out what is important to you. What you do really want to have in your character? Write out a list. Put the most important first at the top and then move down from there. Forget about the strength of the build for now. Once you ahve the list, then you can get somewhere. It's what I do with all my characters. That most important factor usually becomes the character's signature thing.

For example, I have a Sorcerer who can hide so well that it is almost impossible to see him (+19 to Hide before ranks, amongst other things).

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
Nanshork, come to the dark side. [/jedi mind trick] It seems with AJ playing a full caster and getting a CoDzilla backup, we may be needing all the help we can get, if he's aiming at a higher op level. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Nanshork, come to the dark side. [/jedi mind trick] It seems with AJ playing a full caster and getting a CoDzilla backup, we may be needing all the help we can get, if he's aiming at a higher op level. :P
Well, I suppose I could have a Sorcerer/Wizard cohort. Would that help?

PS., it's not my fault you want to attack our kingdom. Say hello to Hades for me ;)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »

If I go monk gish, I'm all yours.  Will be a few levels before I come into my power though.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »
Well, I never devoted myself to any of the groups as of yet, so I'm still open to whoever wants me. :D

Anyway, I like either the idea of an uber-sneaky Shadow Hand character, or the Frontline Healer/Righteous-Rogue (Crusader or SWV Ranger).

If I went with the Shadow Hand sneak, I could fit in easily with X-Codes' cult, or the bandits, but that would keep me from taking up Shadowsun Ninja since you have to be Good to take it.

On the other hand, forgoing the SSN would be fine as well (I'm sure there are some other nifty evil PrC's that would work with an evil swordsage).

On yet another hand (What am I, a thri-kreen?) I could go with the "Righteous Rogue" and go with any group, since Devoted Spirit healing isn't specifically positive energy (flavor text describes it as divine energy, but that's fluff) For an evil group, maybe call it instead a Heretic Rake :D.

So you see, there are several options here.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
Venn, listening to you ramble is giving me ideas.  Now I'm thinking about a SWV Ranger/ Revenant Blade/ Eternal Blade.  Stop thinking out loud.  :P
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »
Venn, listening to you ramble is giving me ideas.  Now I'm thinking about a SWV Ranger/ Revenant Blade/ Eternal Blade.  Stop thinking out loud.  :P

You're right. If I keep mentioning my ideas outloud, you're going to steal them all!  :o

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
Or build something to counter them :lol

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »

You're right. If I keep mentioning my ideas outloud, you're going to steal them all!  :o

At the same time!  One level of every class you mention just because!  :D
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »

At the same time!  One level of every class you mention just because!  :D

Then it'll be easy to counter you. All I'll have to do is mention a few more choice classes and you'll have a build so unusable you'll have trouble making a five-foot step to withdraw. :D

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:55 PM »
Yeah. We will have him lead the army ;)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »
Pfft, I'm tired of making army leaders.  I'll just twitch in a corner.  :P
Notes to self