Author Topic: Consolidated Binder Handbook  (Read 109853 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Consolidated Binder Handbook
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »
Binders are awesome !  :clap

I may get a chance to play an epic one soon...  :smirk

Though I'd like to make the same suggestion I did to Dictum : on the long term, moving to the CO Wiki make sense IMO. Wikis are one of the best tools for collaborative content - the boards are still tremendously useful to discuss the creation/update/... of handbooks.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
Binders are awesome !  :clap

I may get a chance to play an epic one soon...  :smirk

Though I'd like to make the same suggestion I did to Dictum : on the long term, moving to the CO Wiki make sense IMO. Wikis are one of the best tools for collaborative content - the boards are still tremendously useful to discuss the creation/update/... of handbooks.
I've never used wiki, nor am i particularly web-literate, but I'd be happy to learn.

I've backed-up the data from my dread necro handbook as well, but it will need a major overhaul, so it will have to wait until after my dissertation is finished.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 12:14:49 PM »
It's not that different from posting a handbook on the boards, but the tags used are not the same : see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting ; the only shortcoming is the lack of sblock. Among other advantages it creates the content table and a history of changes automatically for you.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »

I've backed-up the data from my dread necro handbook as well, but it will need a major overhaul, so it will have to wait until after my dissertation is finished.

Dissertation? What's your field of study?

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »

Dissertation? What's your field of study?
Organic Chemistry, emphasis on Organometallic, specifically N-Heterocyclic Carbene catalysis methodology and development (asymmetric hydrogenation and electronic tuning of the catalysts).  SciFinder search for "James W. Ogle" and you'll get a few hits of some of my work, though it doesn't have any of the project I've been working on for the last 16 months or so.

Got a job for me?

Tazendra

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »

Organic Chemistry, emphasis on Organometallic, specifically N-Heterocyclic Carbene catalysis methodology and development (asymmetric hydrogenation and electronic tuning of the catalysts).  SciFinder search for "James W. Ogle" and you'll get a few hits of some of my work, though it doesn't have any of the project I've been working on for the last 16 months or so.

Got a job for me?

Nope, not sure even what you just said. :)

I'm an electrical engineer. I haven't taken chemistry since senior year of high school in  the early 80s. I will go off and take a look at your work, just to see if I understand any of it.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 04:43:20 PM »
I might understand a little something after all the organic chemistry I did in high school. Probably not too much of it, but at least most things JWO mentioned in that quote of Tazendra's sound quite familiar.

Handy Links

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
Hey, JWO. May I recommend a cleanup, like this?

Consolidated Binder Handbook
    Table of Contents
    • Credits and Information
    • The Binder
    • Introduction to Pact Magic
    • Lists of Vestiges and Abilities *
      • List by Level *
      • List by Type of Ability *
      • Pact Augmentations and Immunities
      • Low-level Binder Advancement *
      • Feat Progression Suggestions for Generic Binders *
      • Magic Items of Note *
      • Strategies vs. Specific Creatures*
      • Combos *
        • Offensive Combos *
        • Defensive Combos *
        • Caster-like Combos *
        • Miscellaneous Combos *
        • Tips and Tricks *
        • Maximizing Save DC’s
        • Customer Service Quotes for Convenience *
        • Reports from the Trenches: Binder in Action*
        * NEW INFORMATION NOT IN PREVIOUS HANDBOOKS (but possibly buried in the thread)

Credits and Information

The purpose of this thread is to have one source for all a Binder’s needs, be they basic information, builds, combos, or anything else.  This is a copy for these boards from the CharOp boards basically because I don't think I'll be around the CharOp boards much longer, what with the fairly ridiculous changes occurring over there.

T_G and Gerdreg, being the original authors of the two main Binder sourcebooks, both approve of the compilation here, and both have been really busy lately.  This is likely to happen to me, too, so I’ve created a new profile and password that is completely public, so that users may edit the information as they see fit.  Here it is:

If you think something is in error, or you’d like to add some combos, please post it first, just so the community has a chance to digest it and to verify its legality.

I’ve formatted the text such that “fluff” would all be in sblocks, which I hope doesn’t insult anybody, and the “meat” such as vestige power lists and combos, which the CO community thrives on, would be readily viewable on the second post.

Much of the work here was done by T_G and Gerdreg, I’ve just been the organizer of some of the more recent developments, and their works (and that's a mountain of data to process, in and of itself).  With that, I hope you enjoy, and that it isn’t a wasted effort!

Links to the original threads / handbooks:
        http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=605415
        http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=607826

-jameswilliamogle

The Binder’s Role

Quote from: Gerdreg
        Though there are only a limited number of vestiges currently available, and the binder may only bind a small number of them at once (up to four at a time by level 20), the Binder is one of the most versatile classes to date. Based on what vestiges the Binder chooses to make pacts with that day, the Binder can fill many different roles within a group. By combining different vestiges and their granted abilities, the Binder can choose to either further specialize in his chosen role in the party, or create a unique combinations of abilities not possessed by any standard class.

One of the great strengths of Pact Magic is that, unlike spells, the special abilities granted by vestiges are not limited to a certain number of uses per day. Though each vestige does not grant a large number of abilities, a Binder who can make pacts with multiple vestiges can obtain a wide variety of abilities. Many of the more powerful abilities are only available once every five rounds, so a wise binder will make sure he has other abilities or items at his disposal between uses. The highest level vestiges allow access to some very strange and powerful combinations of abilities.

Though not naturally as formidable in combat as the warrior classes, the Binder has medium BAB, d8 HD, and Good Fort and Will Saves. In addition to their vestige granted abilities and pact augmentations, a Binder can be a potent combatant if he or she chooses to be. Despite having a low number of skills points (2+Int per level), the Binder's bonus feats in addition to skill bonuses grants by many of the vestiges will allow the Binder to be very potent in the skills he chooses to pursue.
        In addition to this, I'd say, right from the start, Binders are RIDICULOUSLY complicated: if you haven't read the entire class, all the vestiges, and at least the first 3 posts to this thread, you will probably not play one to its entire potential.  Even then, if you are an inexperienced player, STAY AWAY FROM THIS CLASS!  Play a Rogue, instead, and max out Use-Magic Device for when you want to get tricky.

Play a Binder when:
        • The healing, the arcane, and the trapfinding roles are covered (Binders aren't very efficient at these roles, though they can be decent secondary healers or arcanists.  Trapfinding works well with Able Learner and moderate Int);
        • You want to cover the party face role (Binders are GREAT at this!);
        • You are playing gestalt rules, and want something cool on one side;
        • You are going to be dealing with a campaign full of outsiders (all Binder abilities are Su: SR doesn't apply).
        [spoiler]
        Introduction to Pact Magic
        Vestiges and Granted Abilities

Below is a list of Vestige and their granted abilities.  I've updated the old lists with every vestige thats been published so far.  There are four sources of official WotC vestiges aside from Tome of Magic:
        This makes for a total of 41 vestiges, which means a TON of combinations (I'll let a statistician do the math on that one).  Summarized here.

Figuring out great combinations is kind of tough: some synergies are obvious, but many are not.  When in doubt about what to do, determine randomly what you'll bind (use a deck of cards), then look to see what their abilities are and how well they synergize; just about any combination will turn out ok: these aren't weak abilities, after all.  On top of that, check out this post for making custom vestiges and its index:
        http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=606718
        http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php%3Fp%3D10791757%26postcount%3D452
        Thats ANOTHER 30+ vestiges, if you are looking for homebrew content... Pretty crazy.

There is a new Vestige and Prestige Class posted with full stats here.  Its from the editor of Pathfinder, James Jacobs, and is about as official as non-WotC material gets.  Its also very balanced w.r.t. most vestiges (unlike a lot of homebrew content).  Its all related to the Age of Worms adventure path.

1st Level
        • Amon - Darkvision, Fire Breath*, Ram Attack
        • Aym - Dwarven Step, Halo of Fire, Improved Sunder, Medium Armor Proficiency, Resistance to Fire, Ruinous Attack
        • Leraje - Hide Bonus, Low-Light Vision, Precise Shot, Ricochet, Weapon Proficiency
        • Naberius - Disguise Self, Faster Ability Healing, Naberius’s Skills, Persuasive Words*, Silver Tongue
        • Ronove - Cold Iron and Magic Attacks, Far Hand*, Feather Fall, Ronove’s Fists, Sprint
        2nd Level
        • Dahlver-Nar - Mad Soul, Maddening Moan*, Natural Armor, Shield Self
        • Haagenti - Confusing Touch*, Immunity to Transformation, Shield Proficiency, Weapon Proficiency
        • Malphas - Bird’s Eye Viewing, Invisibility*, Poison Use, Sudden Strike
        • Savnok - Call Armor, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Move Ally*, Savnok’s Armor
        3rd Level
        • Andromalius - Jester’s Mirth*, Locate Item, See the Unseen, Sense Trickery, Sneak Attack
        • Focalor - Aura of Sadness, Focalor’s Breath*, Lightning Strike, Water Breathing
        • Karsus - Heavy Magic, Karsus’s Senses, Karsus’s Touch*, Karsus’s Will
        • Paimon - Dance of Death*, Paimon’s Blade, Paimon’s Dexterity, Paimon’s Skills, Uncanny Dodge, Whirlwind Attack
        • Primus (Dragon 341) - Divine Structure, Lawful Attacks, Primus's Order*
        • Ahazu (Dungeon 148) - Ahazu’s Abduction, Ahazu’s Touch, Blindsight, Void Mind
        4th Level
        • Agares - Earth and Air Mastery, Earthshaking Step*, Elemental Companion, Fear Immunity, True Speech
        • Andras - Weapon Proficiency, Mount, Saddle Sure, Smite Good or Evil*, Sow Discord*, Sure Blows
        • Buer - Buer’s Knowledge, Buer’s Purity, Delay Diseases and Poisons, Fast Healing, Healing Gift*, Track
        • Eurynome - Animal Friend, Damage Reduction, Eurynome’s Maul, Poison Blood, Water Dancing
        • Tenebrous - Deeper Darkness, See in Darkness, Touch of the Void*, Turn/ Rebuke Undead*, Vessel of Emptiness
        • Arete (Mind’s Eye WotC article) – Psionic Boon, Resistance, Damage Reduction, Repletion
        • Kas (Dragon 341) - Blinding Strike, Bluff Bonus, Undead Reaper, Kas's Protection, and longsword, bastard sword, and short sword proficiency
        • Astaroth (Cityscape Web Enhancement) - Angelic Lore, Asaroth's Breath, Honeyed Toungue, Master Craftsman, Word of Astaroth
        • Astaroth (Dragon 357) - Blackflame, Divination, Serpentine Toung, Silvered Touch
        • Cabiri (Dragon 357) - Arcane Eye, Far-seeing Gaze, Seer in Darkness, Visons of Terror
        5th Level
        • Acererak - Detect Undead, Hide from Undead, Lich’s Energy Immunities, Paralyzing Touch*, Speak with Dead, Undead Healing
        • Balam - Balam’s Cunning*, Icy Glare, Prescience, Weapon Finesse
        • Dantalion - Awe of Dantalion*, Dantalion Knows, Read Thoughts, Thought Travel*
        • Geryon - Acidic Gaze, All-Around Vision, See in Darkness, Swift Flight*
        • Otiax - Air Blast, Combat Reflexes, Concealing Mist, Open Portal, Unlock*
        6th Level
        • Chupoclops - Aura of Despair, Ethereal Watcher*, Ghost Touch, Poison Bite, Pounce, Soul Sense
        • Haures - Inaccessible Mind, Incorporeal Movement, Major Image*, Phantasmal Killer*
        • Ipos - Cold Iron Claws, Flash of Insight*, Ipos’s Influence, Planar Attenuation, Rend
        • Shax - Freedom of Movement*, Immunity to Electricity, Storm Strike, Swim Speed
        • Zagan - Aversion*, Improved Grapple, Scent, Constrict, Snake Bane
        • Vanus (Design and Development WotC article) - Fear Aura, Free Ally*, Noble Disdain, Vanus’s Ears
        • The Triad (Mind’s Eye WotC article) – Psionic Boon, Call to Mind, Psicraft Bonus, Bardic Knowledge, Empathy, Diplomacy Bonus, Smite Evil, Detect Hostile Intent, Sense Motive Bonus, Weapon Proficiency
        • Desharis (Cityscape Web Enhancement) - City Dweller, Infinite Doors, Language of the City, Smite Natural Soul, Spirits of the City
        • Zceryll (Class Chronicles web article) - Alien Form, Alien Mind, Bolts of Madness, Summon Alien, Telepathy
        7th Level
        • Eligor - Chromatic Strike, Eligor’s Skill in the Saddle, Eligor’s Strength, Eligor’s Resilience, Heavy Armor Proficiency
        • Marchosias - Death Attack, Fiery Retribution, Smoke Form*, Silent and Sure
        • Ansitif (Dragon 357) - Blaspheme, Divine Resistance, Fire Immunity, Thrall to Demon
        8th Level
        • Ashardalon (Dragon Magic) - Ashardalon's Greed, Ashardalon's Presence*, Ashardalon's Vigor, Fiend's Heart
        • Halphax - Damage Reduction, Halphax’s Knowledge, Imprison, Iron Wall*, Secure Shelter*
        • Orthos - Blindsight, Displacement, Whirlwind Breath*, Whispering Wind
        • Abysm (Mind’s Eye WotC article) - Psionic Boon, Overpower
        * useable once every 5 rounds

Lists by Type of Ability

Most of these were already written by T_G; just cut and pasted.  The newest Vestiges have been added, however.

Most of the cleanup was done by removing quotation marks from numbers/colors in the font tags, and cleaning up html tags. If you like, just hit 'quote' on this post to get the tags as I've edited them, then copy the text to your original post. Removing the |quote|/|/quote| bits, of course. Even better, I can re-edit this post with the subsequent posts, if you like the changes, after you edit the OP.
        « Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:49:26 PM by Chemus »
        *waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
        The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
        Camlen, Enniwey

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
        « Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
        Continuing the re-formating aswell as giving JWM a nudge in the ribs about it, here's some more cleaned stuff.
        Offensive Abilities
        [spoiler]Easiest way to survive is to kill them before they kill you.

Extra Damage
        • Smite Good or Evil: [Andaras] cha to attack, +1 damage/level, 1/5 rnds
        • Smite Natural Creatures: [Desharis] as above, 1/5 rounds, animal, elemental, fey, or plant, 1/5 rnds
        • Ruinous Attack: [Aym] double damage vs. objects
        • Sneak Attack: [Andromalius] +2d6 sneak +1/5 levels beyond 5.
        • Strength Bonus: [Eligor] +4 unnamed to strength
        • : [Vanus] +d6 damage when fighting creatures of lower HD than you
        • Chromatic Strike [Eligor] Add 1d6 energy damage to a single attack as a free action. May not add more than
        • once to a given attack.
        • Sudden Strike: [Malphas] 1d6 + 1d6/4 BL. Stacks with sneak attack.
        • Ricochet: [Laraje]: Attack two adjacent targets with a ranged weapon with one attack roll. Extra damage applies only to one.
        • Fiery Retribution: [Marchosias] An extra 3d6 fire damage when you attack an opponent who has the CAPABILITY of delivering sneak/skirmish/or sudden strike damage.
        • Storm strike: [Shax] Swift action, charge your next melee attack with 1d6 electricity and 1d6 sonic. At will.
        • Snake Bane: [Zagan] +2 attack bonus vs. snake-like creatures (nagas or yuan-ti), and +2d6 bonus damage added to melee attacks.
        • Lawful Attacks: [Primus] all your melee and ranged attacks are lawful, and melee attacks (including touch attacks) do +d6 damage against chaotic opponents.
        • Animal Affinity: [Abysm] +4 Enhancement bonus to Str, Dex, or Con, but temporary as the psionic power
        • Earth and Air Mastery: [Agares] +1 to attacks and damage vs those on ground, -1 penalty to those attacking or damaging you from air.
        • Void Strike: [Tenebrous] charge the next melee attack with 1d8 cold + 1/4 BL beyond 7. Once you reach 11th BL you can charge the attack for the full round. 1/5 rnds.
        Debuffs
        • Tasha's Hideous Laughter: [Andromalius] 1/5rnds
        • Phantasmal Killer: [Haures] range 10 ft per BL, 1/5 rnds
        • Death Attack: [Marchosias] As an assassin, save is equal to standard binding save. You need a source of Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike to use it.
        • Maddening Moan: [Dahlver-nar] daze all in 30' radius, will negates, 1/5 rnds.
        • Imprison: [Halphax] Std action touch attack, fort save, otherwise as the spell. Can only be attempted every 1d4 rounds and cannot have more than one person imprisoned at a time.
        • Blinding Strike: [Kas] on a critical hit, opponent must make a Will save or be permanently blinded; you can crit undead, and this effects them.
        • Paralyzing Touch: [Acererak] 1/5 rnds
        • Earth Shaking Step: [Agares] knock all prone in 10'. Ref-save.
        Direct Damage
        • Gaze Attack: [Balam] 2d6 cold, will negates , [Geryon] 2d6 acid, will negates.
        • Lightning Strike: [Focalor] 3d6 + 1d6/3 BL beyond 5 to a single target. At will.
        • Air Blast: [Otiax] Melee touch attack up to 10' away (like a reach weapon). 2d6 damage (no strength) can make multiple attacks if BAB warrents it.
        • Breath Weapon: [Amon] line of fire, 1d6/level, 10ft/level 1/5 rnds ; [Orthos] Whirlwind breath 1d6/BL 60' cone. Ref for half + wind effects. 1/5 rnds
        Buffs
        • Ghost Touch: [Chupoclops] applies to all attacks.
        • Pounce: [Chupoclops] Can be used with any weapon or natural weapon.
        • Eurynome's Maul: [Eurynome] Summon a large magical warhammer that you can use w/o penalty and have proficiency with and can wield in 1 hand. Has abilities based on level.
        • Dance of Death: [Paimon] Make a single attack against any creature you pass during a single move action. 1/5 rnds.
        • Cold Iron and Magic: [Ronove] Your attacks have these qualities once you attack BL 7 (otherwise it's just magic before that).
        • Undead Reaper: [Kas] can ignore all undead DR.
        • Divine Structure: [Primus] gain +1 competence bonus on all d20 rolls for a round, if you performed the same actions in the same order previously.
        Others
        • Far Hand: [Ronove] Similar to mage hand except that you can lift an amount based on your BL, useable as a swift action at will. Also allows a telekenetic push attack that deals 1d6 pts of damage and initiates a bull rush useable as a standard action 1/5 rnds.
        • Turn/Rebuke Undead: [Tenebrous] As a cleric of your BL. 1/5 rnds.
        [/spoiler]

Defensive Abilities
        [spoiler]
        Tank like a champ w/ this group of abilities.  Also consider tactical movement below.

Debuff
        • Aura of Despair: [Chupoclops]: 10' -2 to attacks, saves, damage, skill checks.
        • Aura of Sadness: [Focalor] -2 to attacks, saves, skill checks for those adjacent to you.
        Damage Reduction
        • Shield Self: [Dahlver-nar] Another creature within 10/BL shares damage with you. Will negates for unwilling creatures.
        • Damage Reduction: [Eurynome] 2/Lawful; [Savnok] 1 +1/4 BL /piercing (and magic if BL >= 13); [Ashardolon] 10 / cold iron; [Halphax] 10 / adamantine; [Arete] DR 5/-
        Concealment, Crit reduction, and related
        • Light Fortification: [Kas] And Heavy fortification against undead, but it stacks w/ fortification, too, making 2 rolls for each crit or sneak attack.
        • Displacement: [Orthos] At will and continual effect, as the spell.
        • Concealing Mist: As obscuring mist, but you cannot hide in it and it only affects you (not an area). Grants concealment.
        • Awe of Dantalion: [Dantalion] No one who sees you may attack you for 1 round, but you may not attack them either. 1/5rnds.
        AC Bonuses
        • Dexterity Bonus: [Paimon] +4 unnamed to dexterity.
        • Prescience: [Balam] +1/4 BL insight bonus to AC, Ref, and initiative.
        • Natural AC: [Dahlver-nar] Enhancement equal to 1/2 Con bonus; [Eligor] +3 enhancement (+4 at lvl 16, +5 at lvl 20).
        • Call armor: [Savnok] Full round action, summon a suit of full plate about you. Has magical qualities based on BL (rather good ones I might add).
        • Uncanny Dodge: [Paimon] if you already have this ability it improves to Improved Uncany dodge.
        HP Bonuses
        • Fast healing: [Buer] Based on level, maxes out at Fast healing 5 at 19th level.
        • Repletion: [Arete] body adjustment , body purification, and sustenance while bound.
        • Temporary Hit Points: [Ashardolon] HP = 2 X Binder level
        Other
        • Delay Disease and Poison: [Buer] To all in 30,' once they leave the area the effect ends though.
        • Poison Blood: [Eurynome] Those who bite or swallow you whole take poison damage.
        • Freedom of Movement:[Shax] Swift action to use, lasts 1 round. 1/5 rnds.
        • Save boost [Arete] +4 resistance bonus to any saving throw; [Balam] Ref save based on level.
        [/spoiler]

Natural Weapons
        [spoiler]Wanna fight like a totemist?  Here you go.

• Horns: [Amon] 1d6 + 1.5 STR
        • Bite: [Chupoclops] based on size.
        • Claws: [Ipos] Cold Iron Claws w/ damage based on size.
        • Rend: [Ipos] Must hit with all claws to gain extra damage. Extra damage = twice normal claw damage (including strength).
        • Constrict: [Zagan] 1d8 + 1.5xSTR in addition to normal unnarmed damage.
        [/spoiler]

Feat-like
        [spoiler]So what if you only have light armor prof?  You can have heavy any time you like!

Weapons
        • [Andaras] Greatsword, lance, longsword, and rapier
        • [Haagenti] Battle Axe, Greataxe, handaxe, and throwing axe.
        • [Lareje] Composite Long bow, composite shortbow, longbow, and shortbow
        • [Paimon] Rapier and Short Sword
        • [Kas] Longsword, Bastard Sword, Short Sword
        • [The Triad] All simple, martial, and exotic weapons
        • [Ronove] Improved Unnarmed Strike (and damage as a monk of your BL)
        Armor, Shields
        • [Aym] Medium Armor
        • [Eligor, Savnok] Heavy Armor
        • [Haagenti]Shields including tower shields
        Melee Combat Related
        • [Paimon] Pseudo-Spring Attack
        • [Balam, Paimon] Weapon Finnesse (only with rapier and short sword for Paimon)
        • [Laraje] Precise Shot
        • [Otiax] Combat Reflexes
        • [Paimon] Whirlwind attack
        • [Zagan] Improved Grapple, considered large in size for grapple purposes and damage deal is lethal.
        • [Aym] Improved Sunder
        Mounted Combat
        • [Eligor]Ride-by-attack
        • [Eligor]Spirited Charge
        Other
        • [Buer] Track
        • [Astaroth] Every item creation feat that doesn't have a feat prereq, and CL = EBL for picking them
        • [Ansitif] Trall to Demon
        [/spoiler]

Buff-like or Magic-Related Augments
        [spoiler]Things that directly emulate spells or things that only casters can do.

Offensive (Save or Suck)
        • Fear: [Ashardolon] as spell, CL= BL, 1/5 rnds, immunity to frightful presence works against it.
        • Command
        • Command or Suggestion: [Naberius] Command within 30 ft or suggestion (if BL >= 14) . 1/ 5 rnds
        • Suggestion: Astaroth 1/5 rounds, max # = cha mod.
        • Read Thoughts, Energy Missile, Psionic Levitate, Astral Construct: [Abysm] as a psion.
        • Dispel Magic: [Karsus] Dispel Magic in a touch, but only vs. creatures and objects.
        • Animate Objects: [Desharis] CL = EBL, as the spell
        Pure Defensive Self Buffs
        • Undead Healing: [Acererak] Heal from BOTH negative and positive energy
        • Invisibility: [Malphas] Full round to use, but lasts rounds per BL. As your BL increases the time required to use it
        • goes down, eventually to a swift action at 15th BL. 1/5 rnds.
        • Gaseous Form: [Marchosias] Lose all Su abilities except this one (binds are not lost, but are not functional). Otherwise treated as the spell with unlimited duration. 1/5rnds.
        • Freedom of Movement: [Vanus] as the spell, others only, gives them an immediate move action to move only.
        • Displacement: [Orthos] At will and continual effect, as the spell.
        Scouting
        • See the Unseen: [Andromalius]
        • Soul Sense: [Chupoclops] Blind sense + Deathwatch ability.
        • True Seeing: [Ipos] swift action, duration 1 rnd. 1/ 5 rnds.
        • Detect Magic: [Karsus] Detect magic at will.
        • Disguise Self: [Naberius] At will, as the spell.
        • Toungues (Humanoid only): [Desharis]
        Mobility
        • Swift Flight: 1 round of flight 60' move, perfect maneuverability. 1/5 rnds.
        • Open Portal: [Otiax] as open-close, but only to open. Swift action to use. at will.
        • Feather Fall: [Ronove] Continual effect
        Others
        • Heavy Magic: [Karsus] +2 DC to all effects produced by magic items.
        • Karsus's Touch: Use any magic device as a wizard of your BL.
        • Empathy, Call to Mind, Detect Hostile Intent: [The Triad] as a psion.
        • Item Creation: [Astaroth]: Make any item w/ a single feat prereq, but need to produce spell still
        [/spoiler]

Miscellaneous

[spoiler]Lots of caster-like abilities in here.
        [spoiler]
        Save or Suck and Debuffs
        • Fear Aura: [Vanus] 10’ radius, shaken or frightened, your choice! Duration = ½ BL.
        • Sickening Breath [Desharis] 60' cone, nauseated 1 round then sickened for d4, or just sickened for 1 round (1/5 rnds)
        • Ipos's Influence: [Ipos] increase effective BL and DC of vestige abilities by 1.
        • Major Image: [Haures] CL = BL. 1/ 5rnds.
        • Poison Use: [Malphas] As an assassin.
        • Read Thoughts: [Dantalion] Full-round action, detect surface thoughts, duration = unlimited over concentration. Will negates.
        Tactical
        • Secure Shelter: [Halphax] As the spell, except that only 1 may be up at a time. 1/5 rnds.
        • Iron Wall: [Halphax] As the spell, except only for a minute.
        • Deeper Darkness: [Tenebrous] As spell, except as an emanation centered on you with a range that you can
        • vary throughout the duration. Unlimited duration, std action to activate or suppress.
        Scouting
        • Scent: [Zagan] as the special quality MM 314.
        • Low-light Vision: [Leraje]
        • Blind Sight: [Orthos] 30' blind sight.
        • Animal Friend: [Eurynome] All animals automatically friendly with you
        • Unlock: [Otiax] Full round action, open any lock w/ DC <= 2*BL. 1/5 rnds.
        Self Buffs and Enhancements
        • Power Points: [Arete, Abysm, The Triad] various amounts.
        • Fast ability heal: [Naberius] Heal 1 pt of ability damage per round and 1 pt of drain per hour.
        • Re-roll: [Balam] "Balam's cunning": re-roll attack, save, or skill 1/5 rnds.
        • Planar Attenuation: Ignore harmful affects of planes.
        Other
        • Summon Mount: [Andaras] 1/day summon a heavy war-horse for hours per level.
        [/spoiler]

Skills
        [spoiler]Bonuses for skills

Scout Role
        • Listen: [Vanus] : +5 unnamed, or +10 if source is evil
        • Search: [Ashardolon] = Binder level unnamed
        • Hide: [Leraje] +4 competance; [Marchosias] +16 competance
        • Move Silently: [Marchosias] +16 competance
        • Tumble: [Paimon] +4 unnamed
        • Spot: [Geryon] +4 unnamed
        • Search: [Geryon] +4 unnamed
        • Spot (to oppose disguise): [Andromalius: +4 unnamed.
        • Survival: [Buer] +4 unnamed
        Social
        • Diplomacy [Naberius]: Take 10, allows a rushed check as a std action at no penalty!
        • Diplomacy [The Triad]: +5 unnamed
        • Diplomacy [Astaroth]: +4 competance
        • Bluff [Naberius]: Take 10, allows a rushed check as a std action at no penalty!
        • Bluff [Kas], [Astaroth]: +4 competence
        • Intimidate [Astaroth]: +4 competence
        • Gather Information [Desharis]: +6 competance
        • Sense Motive: [Andromalius] +4 unnamed; [The Triad]: +5 unnamed
        Knowledge or Sage-like
        • Knowledge (All): [Dantalion] +8 unnamed
        • Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering): [Halphax] can make untrained with a +16 competance bonus.
        • Knowledge (Local): [Desharis] +6 competance
        • Knowledge (Nature): [Buer] +4 unnamed
        • Psicraft [The Triad]: +5 unnamed, can use untrained
        • Appraise: [Ashardolon] = Binder level unnamed
        • Bardic Knowledge: [The Triad], [Astaroth] as a Bard = Binder level
        • Appraise: [Andromalius] +4 unnamed
        • Profession (Seige engineer): [Halphax] +16 competance
        • Craft: [Astaroth] +4 competence
        Other
        • Trained-only skills: [Naberius] You gain the ability to use trained-only skills a number of them equal to your con bonus. You cannot have ranks in these skills.
        • Perform (dance): [Paimon] +4 unnamed
        • Ride: [Andras] +8 unnamed.
        • Heal: [Buer] +4 unnamed
        [/spoiler]

Tactical
        [spoiler]This one is all about covering the Scout role.

Movement
        • Swim Speed: [Shax] speed equal to land speed.
        • Move Ally: [Savnok] Change places with an ally within 5 ft/2 BL. Action length is dependant on BL (at first standard and finally a swift action at 13th BL). 1/5 rnds.
        • Ethereal Watcher: [Chupoclops] Move action to ethereal plane. But you cannot take a move, full round, or standard while on the plane else you return to the material plane immediately.
        • +10 to move speed: [Ronove] enhancement bonus to move.
        • Thought Travel: [Dantalion] Teleportation 5 ft/BL to location seen. 1/5 rnds.
        • Incorporeal Movement: [Haures] 50% miss chance against AoOs, you can pass through a creature's square w/o trouble.
        • Flicker [Tenebrous] As the mystery, except a certain number of times per day based on BL. (as a supernatural ability of course). (3/day at 19th level).
        • Swift Flight
        • Infinite Doors [Desharis] teleport between EXTERIOR doors.
        • City Dweller [Desharis] walk through crowds w/o impediment
        Vision
        • Scout Bird: [Malphas] A bird helper with many abilities.
        • All Around Vision: [Geryon] +4 to spot and search, no flanking bonus vs. you
        • See in Darkness: [Geryon, Tenebrous] As a devil.
        [/spoiler]
        [Spoiler]
        Quote from: Runestar
        the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
        (A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
        [/quote]
        [/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
        Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
        • Advanced Spambot
        « Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
        Cross posting here as it is more relevant to this thread than the one it was originally in, I think.

In Dragon 313 there is a Psi-Spell feat that lets you apply Astral Construct traits to a summon. Requires Summon Monster and Astral Construct, and it costs pp to cast the spell (in addition to the slot) but I think it's still worth mentioning.

Traits worth using:
        -Pounce
        -Rend
        -Natural Invisibility
        -Poison
        -Power Resistance (assuming transparency is in affect)
        -Spring Attack
        -Wings! (40ft Avg)

I think dropping a couple levels into psionics might be worth it if you want to do something different with your summons.

Wow... could a binder who binds Zceryll and Abysm take and use this feat without multiclassing? :D
        [spoiler]
        A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
        ...thanks
        [/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
        • SFT is mai waifu.
        « Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:26 PM »
        Cross posting here as it is more relevant to this thread than the one it was originally in, I think.

In Dragon 313 there is a Psi-Spell feat that lets you apply Astral Construct traits to a summon. Requires Summon Monster and Astral Construct, and it costs pp to cast the spell (in addition to the slot) but I think it's still worth mentioning.

Traits worth using:
        -Pounce
        -Rend
        -Natural Invisibility
        -Poison
        -Power Resistance (assuming transparency is in affect)
        -Spring Attack
        -Wings! (40ft Avg)

I think dropping a couple levels into psionics might be worth it if you want to do something different with your summons.

Wow... could a binder who binds Zceryll and Abysm take and use this feat without multiclassing? :D
        Didn't CustServ rule that vestige-granted abilities can't be used to qualify for feats?
        It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
        Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
        • Advanced Spambot
        « Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
        Didn't CustServ rule that vestige-granted abilities can't be used to qualify for feats?
        Those numbskulls don't have the authority to "rule" anything. And they couldn't find their own asses with both hands. CWar (pg. 16?) makes it very clear how this should work, and nothing in the Binder or vestige writeups contradicts it.
        [spoiler]
        A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
        ...thanks
        [/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
        • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          • Email
        « Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
        Those numbskulls don't have the authority to "rule" anything. And they couldn't find their own asses with both hands. CWar (pg. 16?) makes it very clear how this should work, and nothing in the Binder or vestige writeups contradicts it.
        I remember someone actually testing this.  They asked customer service a question from one person, and had someone else ask the same question shortly after.  60% of the time, the second answer contradicted the first.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
        • SFT is mai waifu.
        « Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
        Heh. Right, I remember that test. That was funny. Or maybe sad. Or both.
        - Haures's Major Image does NOT require concentration to maintain: the effect is as the spell, but it automatically lasts Binder level rounds.
        What's the reasoning behind this? Looking at Haures's Major Image, I don't see any clause that would override MI's duration.
        « Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:29:22 PM by Agita »
        It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Phaenix

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 01:33:19 PM »
        OK, next up... Breaking the Binder!

So, there has been some abuse of the Binder class using Bloodlines, since Binders gain most of their abilities based on their "Effective Binder Level," which is advanced by the Binder Class, a handful of Prestige classes, and... Bloodlines.

This is nothing new, and several builds have attempted to optimize EBL. Some can be found at your local Consolidated Binder Handbook.

But... several of the Epic Binder Feats are also based off of EBL. Where does that leave us? In awesome land. See, many of the Epic Binder Feats require EBL 21. So, getting EBL 21 before ECL 21 means getting Epic feats early. Specifically, Bind Additional Vestige:

Bind Additional Vestige [Epic]
        You can bind an additional nonepic vestige.
        Prerequisites: Ability to bind 8th-level vestiges; effective binder level 21st.
        Benefit: You can bind an additional vestige.
        Normal: The number of nonepic vestiges you can bind simultaneously is limited by your class level.
        Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time you take the feat, you can add one to the maximum number of nonepic vestiges you can bind simultaneously.

Binder 4/Bloodline 1/Binder +2/Bloodline +1/SoD 1/KoSS 1/Bloodline +1/Legacy Champion 6 (adv. Binder 1, KotSS 1, SoD 3)/Uncanny Trickster 3 (Adv. Binder 1, SoD 1) hits EBL 21 by level 13. That means you can start using the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle to get Epic Binder feats like Bind Additional Vestige. And you can go ahead and DCFS some of those not-so-great feats you get from Legacy Champion and your Bloodline to more interesting Epic Binder Feats, too.

If I were playing this build, I'd lay out my feats something like this:
        1                           Improved Binding [DCFS after level 13 -> Bind Additional Vestige]
        Human Bonus         Expel Vestige
        (lv. 2) Celestial Bl   Alertness [DCFS after level 13 -> Epic Expel Vestige]
        3                           Weapon Focus (Any) [required for KoSS]
        (lv 5) Binder 4        Ignore Special Requirements
        6                           Rapid Pact Making
        9                           Knowledge Devotion (Great for a Dantalion-centric build)
        12                         Favored Vestige (Dantalion)
        (lv 13) Binder 8      Rapid Recovery (Dantalion)
        (lv 14) Bloodline     Improved Initiative
        15                         Some Feat [DCFS -> Bind Additional Vestige]
        15 (Leg. Champ.)   Bonus Legacy Feat [DCFS -> Epic Rapid Pact Making]
        16 (Leg. Champ.)   Bonus Legacy Feat [DCFS -> Epic Rapid Recovery (Dantalion)]
        18                         Some Feat [DCFS -> Bind Additional Vestige]

This gets you:
         7 Vestiges at a time - that's about 25-30 class features right there.
        EBL 39 (40 with Dantalion)
        The ability to change your bound vestiges (except for Dantalion) with a couple minutes of downtime as often as you'd like. And select them with impunity.
        Pact Augmentation 4 (which also gets reset every time you bind) - 20 Temp HP is a nice little rider to selecting new class abilities, esp. with 17 HD.
        Knowledge Devotion with +8 to all knowledge checks, Collector of Stories, and 14 Knowledge rerolls/day. Most PrC skill pre-reqs are Knowledges.
        Swift-action Awe of Dantalion (aka "Can't touch this") every 3 rounds
        Move-action Teleport up to 200 ft. 40/day, Also on a 3 round cooldown. Use Malphas' Bird or Cabiri's Eye to see where you want to go.
        Oh yeah... An Item of Legacy with fucking Cunning. Who cares what else is on there? Get some CLW. Make it out of a Tooth of Savnok!

Using Partial Saves & BAB:
        BAB: 4.5 + .75 + 1 + 4.5 + 2.25 = +13/+8/+3
        Fort: 5.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 +2 +1 = 13
        Ref: 2.3 + .3 + .3 +2 + 3 = 8
        Will: 5.5 + 2.5 + .3 + 5 +1 = 14

The best part is that you have exactly 1 feat tied up in pre-reqs, so you can customize to your heart's content. And you can use the later classes to advance KoSS over SoD, if you like those class features better. You need Human or 12 int to meet skill prereqs, but with the bare minimum, pretty much all your skill points are spoken for before you hit Uncanny Trickster. Any skill points resulting from higher INT should probably go into getting a few ranks in cross-class Knowledges if you're going the Knowledge Devotion route.

Also, the race isn't set. I used Human for the bonus feat and extra skills, but go ahead and make an Unseelie Fey Karsite or an Unseelie Fey Phrenic Human with Magic in the Blood. WTF do I care? You already have too many abilities to keep track of. (You do need to be human, half-human, or have the human subtype to get into SoD, though.)

How Bloodlines work:
        [spoiler]I use the interpretation of Bloodlines that they advance any class feature that is based on class level, except for those specifically called out as not advancing (spellcasting progression). That is, I believe a Fighter 4/Bloodline 2 has 4 bonus fighter feats, since Bonus Feats is a class feature that progresses based on class level, and is thus advanced by Bloodlines. In the case of the Binder, they gain all of their class abilities (Soul Binding, Suppress Sign, Bonus Feats, Pact Augmentation, and Soul Guardian) by level 6, so Bloodlines advance any of those they have obtained. Therefore, Binder 6/Bloodline 3 gets Slippery Mind, as that is part of the advancement for the Soul GuardianDirty Tricks II
        « Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:09:52 PM by Phaenix »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
        • SFT is mai waifu.
        « Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
        Actually, I'm pretty sure [Epic] feats automatically also require character level 21. You could do it with a Cheesewrought Kobold, but then you're in DMG-to-the-head-land anyway.

Phaenix

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »
        Do you have a reference for that? I looked in the ELH before posting, but didn't find any such requirement. The text I found (on pg. 46 of the ELH) is:

Acquiring Epic Feats

So there's no provision for gaining epic feats in other ways, but no prohibition, either. Newer sources can open up new opportunities. Like the cheesewrought kobold, as you mentioned. Continuing;

Prerequisites
        Most epic feats have prerequisites. You must have the listed ability score, feat, skill, class feature, or base attack modifier in order to use or select that feat. A character can gain an epic feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite, just as with regular feats.
        A prerequisite expressed as a numerical value is a minimum; any value higher than the one given also meets the prerequisite.
        You can't use an epic feat if you've lost the prerequisite.

That's it. Since the epic feats I listed in the build require EBL 21+, and either another non-epic feat or the ability to bind 8th-level vestiges, I think the build qualifies.

It's possible that there's been some errata to the ELH that covers epic feat qualifications, but as far as I know, the main obstacle for most epic feats is the skill requirements, which end up being HD requirements in most cases.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
        • SFT is mai waifu.
        « Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
        Right now I don't know where I picked that up, so it would be nice if someone else knew whether I was just making things up.
        However, by that logic, then anyone can take epic feats pre-epic just like the DW Kobold, because even the Kobold needs to meet prerequisites, and there are some epic feats that don't have prereqs (although most epic feats suck anyway).

Phaenix

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
        I don't see any changes to epic feat prerequisites in the Errata for the ELH. There's still nothing that allows you to select an [epic] feat before 21st level, but there's nothing stopping you from using the Feat Shuffle to gain any feat you qualify for. So that adds a few DCFS expenditures for the build...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
        • Simulated Thing
        « Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
        I don't think that the Abyssal Shuffle will let you avoid the tags on feats.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
        My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
        Planetouched Handbook
        Want to improve your character?  Then die.