Author Topic: On US TV shows  (Read 2283 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
On US TV shows
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
How many US TV shows fall into one of the following moulds?
The main character is a highly intelligent person (usually male) prone to witty one-liners, who solves cases that baffle the police. He has both medical and investigative skills, and may work as either a police officer or a doctor (or occasionally both). More groundbreaking characters will have a particular area of expertise, such as bone analysis or psychometry, but they will always be able to apply this skill to the case at hand. In any case, he will have a far larger range of duties than his position should suggest, such as doing investigation, forensic analysis, arrests and interrogation. This character frequently has a team backing him up, but he always outshines them in competence - while they will sometimes take over certain parts of the process, there will be few issues with characters filling in for each other (and none if the protagonist fills in for someone). This character will never get into trouble for actions which are illegal or immoral unless a source of conflict is required, in which case he will usually get into trouble for doing something that was perfectly correct (due to his superiors being corrupt or pressured). Things are always back to normal by the end of the episode, unless one of the actors is no longer available.
A comedy centered around a family, probably dysfunctional, or group of close-knit friends, with the protagonist being the character closest to the target audience in age and gender. Most sources of conflict are created by one or more of the main cast being stupid, foolish or ignorant.  Things are always back to normal by the end of the episode, unless one of the actors is no longer available.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:30:00 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: On US TV shows
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
That nails a bunch of them I believe.
Placeholder - T'tosc

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
How many US TV shows fall into one of the following moulds?
The main character is a highly intelligent person prone to witty one-liners, who solves cases that baffle the police. S/he has both medical and investigative skills, and may work as either a police officer or a doctor (or occasionally both). More groundbreaking characters will have a particular area of expertise, such as bone analysis or psychometry, but they will always be able to apply this skill to the case at hand. In any case, s/he will have a far larger range of duties than his/her... *make everything else gender neutral, or inclusive*
A comedy centered around a family, probably dysfunctional, or group of close-knit friends, with the protagonist being the character closest to the target audience in age and gender. Most sources of conflict are created by one or more of the main cast being stupid, foolish or ignorant.  Things are always back to normal by the end of the episode, unless one of the actors is no longer available.
That's everything.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
I actually have to cheer when the former is a male; especially since the latter often involve the biggest idiot being male.

fuck sitcoms.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
if you want to see every sitcom ever, watch the honeymooners.

if you want every police drama, try dragnet.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »
I don't think Jeopardy falls into either mold....

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »
game / reality shows fall outside of the scope of the classic comedy / tragedy paradigm

i presumed the OP was concerning shows with professional 'actors' / scripted dialog.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.