Author Topic: Halfling Cleric Slinger  (Read 2470 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Halfling Cleric Slinger
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:01 AM »
EDIT: Bump because I'm looking to use this character in CantripN's game.  Template advice is welcome, although I suspect I'm just going to stick with Wisdom Prodigy and cash in the rest of my LA for feats (see rules, and use standard Cleric instead of Cloistered.  To see my starting point...

Halfling Cleric of Chauntea 5/Holt Warden 3/Warblade 1/Holt Warden +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 21 (17 + 2 Wis Prodigy + 2 Level), Cha 10

Traits: Quick, Uncivilized
Flaws: Vulnerable, Poor Reflexes
Domains: Plant Domain, Animal Devotion, Protection Domain @ 11 (next level)
Maneuvers: Punishing Stance, Action Before Thought, Steely Strike, Iron Heart Surge
Feats:
1- Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Yondalla's Sense, Quick Reconnoiter, Psionic Hole, Quicken Spell, DMM: Quicken
3- Intuitive Attack
6- Power Attack
9- Practiced Spellcaster [Cleric]

Skills:
Balance 5 ranks
Concentration 4 ranks
Knowledge (Nature) 8 ranks
Knowledge (Religion) 13 ranks
Listen 8 ranks
Profession (Sailor) 1 rank
Profession (Farmer) 1 rank
Profession (Forester) 1 rank
Spellcraft 4 ranks
Spot 8 ranks
Survival 4 ranks
Tumble 5 ranks

Future skill investments: Concentration, Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot

Original Build/Post:
[spoiler]Something I've just been thinking of...

Halfling Cloistered Cleric 5/Holt Warden 3/Warblade 1/Holt Warden +1/Contemplative 1/Stonestorm Striker* 1/Contemplative +1/Holt Warden +1/Stonestorm Striker* +1/Holt Warden +5
*Adaptation of the Bloodstorm Blade.  Gains Quick Draw feat instead of Throw Anything and loads a sling as a free action instead of a move action.  Abilities apply to slings instead of melee or thrown weapons.

S: 13, D: 14, C: 14, I: 12, W: 16, Ch: 10
Domains: 1- Plant and Knowledge, 11- Protection
Maneuvers: Punishing Stance, Mind Over Body, Steely Strike, Iron Heart Surge
Flaws: Inattentive, Fussy
Feats: 1- Animal Devotion, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Yondalla's Sense
3- Intuitive Attack
6- Knowledge Devotion
9- Power Attack
12- Rapid Shot
15/18- Practiced Spellcaster [Cleric], something else...

I figured that once I started getting silly powerful, I should start dragging my spell progression in order to allow the rest of a theoretical party to still feel relevant.  As a side benefit, I get to pick up an interesting shtick like hitting things REALLY HARD with a sling.

Taking suggestions as to what that last feat should be.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:57:37 PM by X-Codes »

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
Re: Halfling Cleric Slinger
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
Dinosaur Wrangler
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
His name shall be Bullet Bill.

Probably Far Shot or Zen Archery. Or Quicken Spell to buff and attack in the same round.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:36:51 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
His name shall be Bullet Bill.

Probably Far Shot or Zen Archery. Or Quicken Spell to buff and attack in the same round.
Intuitive Attack is Wis to attack for simple and natural weapons, including slings.  The problem with getting Quicken that late is that I'll probably already have MM Rods for my lowest level spells and and no way to reduce the cost for my highest-level spells.  Maybe there's some other Metamagic feat that isn't, by RAW, made into a Rod and also generally useful?  Something that a goody-two-shoes like my character could make use of.

Also, I'm considering submitting this build to a game.  Problem is that the game I'm thinking of submitting it to is a PF game (=_=).  I'm thinking I'd trade out most of the caster levels for straight, vanilla Cleric.  Domains would be Fur (Animal) and Storm (Weather) because of easy association between the two and really damn useful abilities/spells.  That said, I'd probably still need a replacement for Knowledge Devotion, and I'd also like to get my hands on a +1 BAB/+1 Divine casting PrC to dip for +16 BAB at 20th (despite the fact that the game will probably never get there).

EDIT: Nevermind, there's an alternative Halfling racial trait that is basically rapid reload for slings.  Looks like I can just go pure Cleric 20 and do pretty much whatever I want.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:08:51 AM by X-Codes »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:14:05 AM »
Bump because I'm looking to use this character in CantripN's game.  Template advice is welcome, although I suspect I'm just going to stick with Wisdom Prodigy and cash in the rest of my LA for feats (see rules, and use standard Cleric instead of Cloistered.  To see my starting point...

Halfling Cleric of Chauntea 5/Holt Warden 3/Warblade 1/Holt Warden +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 21 (17 + 2 Wis Prodigy + 2 Level), Cha 12

Traits: Quick, Uncivilized
Flaws: Vulnerable, Poor Reflexes
Domains: Plant Domain, Animal Devotion, Protection Domain @ 11 (next level)
Maneuvers: Punishing Stance, Action Before Thought, Steely Strike, Iron Heart Surge
Feats:
1- Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Yondalla's Sense, Quick Reconnoiter, Improved Initiative, Quicken Spell, DMM: Quicken
3- Intuitive Attack
6- Power Attack
9- Practiced Spellcaster [Cleric]

Skills:
Balance 5 ranks
Concentration 4 ranks
Escape Artist 4 ranks
Knowledge (Nature) 8 ranks
Knowledge (Religion) 13 ranks
Listen 4 ranks
Profession (Sailor) 1 rank
Profession (Farmer) 1 rank
Profession (Forester) 1 rank
Sense Motive 4 ranks
Spellcraft 4 ranks
Spot 4 ranks
Survival 4 ranks
Tumble 5 ranks

Future skill investments: Concentration, Escape Artist, Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
Halfling Warsling + Halfling Skiprock = Joy!

JaronK

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
Investing some more in Spot/Listen/Sense Motive wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since you're going with Wisdom Prodigy, and get a +4 Bonus to all WIS based Skill-Checks. With that and Quick Recon. You might actually notice things, unlike the rest.

Bright Warden of Paladine (Holy Orders of the Stars) may interest you, too. Easy to qualify, Full BAB, 2 levels grant Divine Grace with just 1 spellcasting lost (and you can take Serenity to make it WIS-based, which would also grant you more Turn Attempts), and the 3rd level also grants spellcasting and a somewhat useful ability.

Other useful links:
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Psionic_Hole
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spirit_Sense
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:35:03 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Halfling Warsling + Halfling Skiprock = Joy!

JaronK
No doubt, but +0 BAB @ level 1 means I can't use the vast majority of my feats for that.

Think of this build more in-line with a Cleric Archer than a Swift Hunter Archer.

Investing some more in Spot/Listen/Sense Motive wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since you're going with Wisdom Prodigy, and get a +4 Bonus to all WIS based Skill-Checks. With that and Quick Recon. You might actually notice things, unlike the rest.

Bright Warden of Paladine (Holy Orders of the Stars) may interest you, too. Easy to qualify, Full BAB, 2 levels grant Divine Grace with just 1 spellcasting lost (and you can take Serenity to make it WIS-based, which would also grant you more Turn Attempts), and the 3rd level also grants spellcasting and a somewhat useful ability.

Other useful links:
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Psionic_Hole
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spirit_Sense
If I can turn off Psionic Hole, then that's VERRRY nice.  If not, then it's decent enough.  Just have to hope that the group's psionicist isn't trying to be some kind of buffer/healer (although most of those are personal, aren't they?).  I can probably put off Improved Init for that.

As for Spirit Sense, it's nice, but Spot and Listen are pretty well crap for spotting Incorporeals.  The ability to see undead spirits might be better if I had a good Bluff/Diplomacy score (REALLY good, since I'm probably going to be the one that killed them), but that's not going to be able to happen, here.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
You choose whether to use Psionic Hole or not every time a power is attempted on you. Like SR, this is a boon, not a bane.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Alright, updated the build and moved it to the OP.

What kind of attack mods should I be shooting for?  At the moment, I can manage...

w/ club: +15 unbuffed = +7 (BAB) +6 (Wis) +1 (enhancement) +1 (small)
w/ sling: +17 unbuffed = +7 (BAB) +6 (Wis) +1 (PBS) +1 (enhancement) +1 (small) +1 (racial)

Primary damaging shtick at first will be using the club.  With Haste and Brambles my routine will be +17/+17/+12 for 1d4+1d6+11 and Power Attack (shield will be a buckler, so I can two-hand it if needed).  In a couple levels (ECL 12) I'll switch off to the Sling, which will change my base attack rolls to +22 not very buffed (+9 BAB +7 Wis +1 PBS +3 GMW +1 Small +1 Racial), or +24/+24/+24/+19/+14 buffed (Haste, Rapid Shot, and Divine Power) for 1d3+1d6+4 and Power Attack (which I feel should be a *lot* better).

That said, I'm not including much in the way of items right now.  So far it's just a +2 Wisdom item, a masterwork Club, and a +1 sling (actually a specific weapon, but that doesn't deal with attack rolls).  That's why I'm asking, I'm looking for items to boost my rolls.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:40:13 PM by X-Codes »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
You might well want more attack bonus, yeah. That's not half-bad, but things with an AC of 40 or more do exist, even at your levels.
Not to mention that everyone gets max HP per HD, and the bad guys often have more HD that you, so killing them with HP damage is harder.

Of course, you're a cleric, so you can get stuff like Divine Power, Recitation, Surge of Fortune, Greater Magic Weapon, and Law/Chaos Devotion.
Plus, I'm sure there will be someone to give out Create Magic Tattoo, Haste and Heroism.
That's a nice boost to Attack, and another couple of points from Law/Chaos Devotion if you have it. I really should beef Chaos Devotion slightly...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:02:18 PM by CantripN »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
Alright, a friend of mine looked at the sheet and felt that picking up Practiced Spellcaster was premature (something I rather agree with at this point), so I'll probably hold that off until later.  I'm also concerned that I'm just not awesome enough to make appropriate use of DMM AND Animal Devotion yet, so I'm considering putting that off until later as well.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Up to you. Both are useful. Practiced Spellcaster for just 1 CL is probably a waste, though. Whatever happened to the tried and true Extra Turning? Also, are you sure you'd really use Power Attack when it's not so easy to hit things anyway - it's not like you're a Frenzied Berserker?

And, of course, there's stuff like Knowledge/Law/Chaos Devotion for a good boost to attack.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:28:04 PM by CantripN »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Easy Metamagic and Extra Turning have been subbed in, DMM and Practiced Spellcaster have been put off for later; those two and Rapid Shot will be the remaining feats I take pre-epic.  Chaos, Law, and Knowledge devotions are all interesting, but none of them are domains granted via deity.

If I could switch over and play a Cloistered Cleric instead, that'd be -10 HP and at least -1 BAB at the beginning, but it'd give me the skills necessary to do the Knowledge Devotion thing with some competence.  Knowledge Devotion is also the most appealing because I think I have enough drains on my Turn Undead pool already.  That said, I assume I can only drop 1 domain for a devotion feat, which means I'd have to find someplace to put Animal Devotion, but I have none.  Already botched my char sheet minorly and put in Psionic Hole after I traded it out for Quicken Spell.