Author Topic: Thinking Caps: Build Advice please.  (Read 2308 times)

ravenkith

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Thinking Caps: Build Advice please.
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
Gentlemen and ladies, the situation is this:

I am going to be playing in a three player game shortly, set primarily in a low magic version of the Oriental Adventures universe.

The other two players have chosen to play a Samurai (OA version) and a Ninja (CAdv version).

Beatstick and Skillmonkey are, in effect, covered, but this leaves the healer and arcane slots wide open - both a severe problem when you are down a man.

We will be starting at level 5, and we are allowed 1 ancestor feat as a bonus at first level.

The idea is to create an asian themed character that can, in a pinch, provide heals, arcane punch, and survive whatever comes his way. I have gotten permission to use Paladin, but other than that, OA base classes only.

Weapons in the OA book only. (I have chosen the Nagamaki with this build.)

My current build stands as follows:

STR: 18
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 18

1. Paladin 1 (Education (FR), Combat Casting, Warrior Shugenja (OA))
2. Paladin 2
3. Sorc 1 (Arcane Disciple - Healing (CDiv))
4. Sorc 2
5. Sorc 3
6. Sorc 4 (Touch of Healing (CChamp))
7. Spellsword 1
8. Abjurant Champion 1
9. Abjurant Champion 2 (Arcane Strike (CWar))
10. Abjurant Champion 3
11. Abjurant Champion 4
12. Abjurant Champion 5 (?)
13. Sacred Exorcist 1
14. Sacred Exorcist 2
15. Sacred Exorcist 3 (Sacred Healing (PHB II)?)
16. Sacred Exorcist 4
17. Sacred Exorcist 5
18. Sacred Exorcist 6 (Sacred Purification (PHB II)?)
19. Sacred Exorcist 7
20. Sacred Exorcist 8

First: Education is necessary given the hackjob i had to perform on my intelligence in order to make this character viable and the fact that Knowledge: the planes is not a class skill for ANY of the classes in the build pre-SE.

The DM may allow up to two flaws, he hasn't made that clear yet. If he does, I'm thinking Power Attack and Empower Spell, enabling me to pick up Chain spell at 12.

I'm planning on picking up the two divine feats simply so as to get some sort of use out of those turn attempts: most of the healing this character will provide should come from the Touch of Healing Reserve feat, combined with one locked cure spell known, backed up (hopefully) via purchased clw wands, which may or may not be available.

The pretty part about this build is the way everything stacks up: BAB 16, FORT:13 REF:8 WILL:20 CL: 18, prebuff. Add in the 7d10+4d4+9d8+60 HP, and this guy ought to be a relatively tough nut to crack.

Note: This is meant to be a playable character, not a thought exercise like the hulking hurler or pun-pun.

Spell selections for level 1 include Mage Armor, Shield and Magic Missile. This yields a current AC of 16 for walking around in, with a high of 20 with a shield spell.

Keep in mind that in OA, wearing physical armor is frowned upon in most cases.

Starting equipment includes Cloak of Charisma +2 (not included in stat block), Metamagic Rod (Extend - Lesser), and a wand of magic missile, a normal nagamaki, and basic adventuring gear.

Suggestions, thoughts, comments?

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Thinking Caps: Build Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:50:03 AM »
Would a Shugenja be allowed? (Not shure what would qualify as a OA-Base class...)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »
[spoiler]STR: 18
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 18

1. Paladin 1 (Education (FR), Combat Casting, Warrior Shugenja (OA))
2. Paladin 2
3. Sorc 1 (Arcane Disciple - Healing (CDiv))
4. Sorc 2
5. Sorc 3
6. Sorc 4 (Touch of Healing (CChamp))
7. Spellsword 1
8. Abjurant Champion 1
9. Abjurant Champion 2 (Arcane Strike (CWar))
10. Abjurant Champion 3
11. Abjurant Champion 4
12. Abjurant Champion 5 (?)
13. Sacred Exorcist 1
14. Sacred Exorcist 2
15. Sacred Exorcist 3 (Sacred Healing (PHB II)?)
16. Sacred Exorcist 4
17. Sacred Exorcist 5
18. Sacred Exorcist 6 (Sacred Purification (PHB II)?)
19. Sacred Exorcist 7
20. Sacred Exorcist 8.[/spoiler]
All in all, it looks like a pretty solid standard sorcadin build.  I think you distributed your stats well.

The DM may allow up to two flaws, he hasn't made that clear yet. If he does, I'm thinking Power Attack and Empower Spell, enabling me to pick up Chain spell at 12..
Definitely take Power Attack at level 1.  You can use a two-hander and cast spells with no problem (as you can let go with one hand as a free action), so you have no reason not to take Power Attack.  This will help a lot with damage.

Practiced Spellcaster might be a nice feat to take, as your caster level will be full then.  You'll always be two levels behind in terms of spells per day and spells known, but this will be a big boost at 3rd level when you pick up sorcerer.  Suddenly, all your buffs last three times as long.

Spell selections for level 1 include Mage Armor, Shield and Magic Missile. This yields a current AC of 16 for walking around in, with a high of 20 with a shield spell.

Keep in mind that in OA, wearing physical armor is frowned upon in most cases.
How about really light armor?  Is a mithril shirt permissable (you can wear it under clothes without it being noticed)?  At level seven (when you pick up Spellsword), you could cast in a mithril shirt with 0% ASF.  That would save you from having to take Mage Armor.  It would suck those first six levels, but if you're primarily casting buffs, you might be able to get away with either padded armor or leather armor.  The ASF % is low enough that it shouldn't be too bad of a problem.

Also, do note that Mage Armor won't work with Abjurant Champion's class feature, so it will become less useful compared to Shield as you gain levels in that class.

As a general rule, I'd avoid Magic Missile, at least until you're caster level is 7 or 9.  It does too little damage at that point.  You're better off smacking things with your sword.  I'd swap it out with Enlarge Person.  This gives you an increased reach, which can help keep you from taking damage in melee in the first place.  Your AC will drop two, but you're damage will also increase, so only use it when appropriate.

If you have access to the Spell Compendium, I'd strongly suggest Wraithstrike as a 2nd level spell.  This lets all your attacks for one round be touch attacks, which lets you Power Attack the crap out of things.  Talk to your DM first.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »
Knowledge devotion can give you knowledge (the planes) as a class skill as well as helping you out in combat.

I see a severe lack of power attack and divine might.

I'd trade out magic missle for enlarge person or ray of enfeeblement

ravenkith

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »
Armor: the DM has ruled that armor and weapons MUST come from the OA book, at least to start. So, no mithril shirt at this time, sadly.

I thought about enlarge person, but in the end went with magic missile because a severe lack of ranged capability. This will change IF I can get a comp longbow (daikyu). There's no reason why not - it's mentioned in the OA book, but it's not on the CHART in the OA book, so who knows?

One flying bad guy could cause a ton of problems for our group... :rollseyes

AFB ATM: is there a domain that grants divine might? It would be nice to have, but isn't horribly needed, IMHO. Failing empower spell/chain spell, Maybe another Arcane Disciple feat?

Spell compendium IS allowed, already planning on picking up wraithstrike to go with my arcane strike capability. The synergy between those abilities for a gish is just plain nice.

Any (non prestige) class that appears in the oa handbook, or any updated version of a class from the handbook, is allowed as a base class: so shugenja is allowed. OTOH, I found the spell list restrictive at best, a problem made even worse by needing to choose a specialty element and thus losing all the spells in the element's opposite.

Knowledge devotion is very good, but this build requires Knowledge Arcana, Knowledge the Planes, and Knowledge Religion as class skills. Knowledge devotion only works with one skill: education works on all of them <shrug>.

Thoughts/opinions/responses???

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
Chain shirts and padded armor are mentioned in Oriental Adventures:  Just check pages 70 and 75 where it says certain PHB weapons and armor are available in Rokugan.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
I thought about enlarge person, but in the end went with magic missile because a severe lack of ranged capability. This will change IF I can get a comp longbow (daikyu). There's no reason why not - it's mentioned in the OA book, but it's not on the CHART in the OA book, so who knows?
Explain to your DM that OA is an expansion (ie, an addition the the core rules) and not a game unto itself.   I can see him complaining about full plate or something like that, but leather armor and chainmail would be common.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]