Author Topic: Character Planning  (Read 57317 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Character Planning
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
Use this thread to discuss your character builds/ideas. This is where you may discuss what feats to take, what spells to prepare, et cetera, and where you can ask me questions on allowing custom/homebrew or third party content.

Until everyone settles on their characters and I get the teams set up, use this thread as general discussion. Pretty much the only discussion at this point is still character/build based anyway.

If anyone is relying on or hoping to be teamed up with any other particular characters, feel free to request that here as well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:23:44 AM by VennDygrem »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Character Planning
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
Anyone have any ideas for some good (low-level) Druid items/equipment?

Thanks in advance :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
I should point out: teamwork benefits. If I end up in the same team as another ranged combatant we can combine fire. I probably shouldn't put my Silver Flame worshipper in the same group as the vampire though (yes, even if he's a good vampire :P).

Also, what do I do with mah munnies? :p
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:30:17 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »
I probably shouldn't put my Silver Flame worshipper in the same group as the vampire though (yes, even if he's a good vampire :P).

This would depend on whether any of you know he's a vampire. :P

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »
I probably shouldn't put my Silver Flame worshipper in the same group as the vampire though (yes, even if he's a good vampire :P).

"No need to spend so long cooking that, I prefer it rare. Oh, the sun will be up soon. I'd better get in my box. Would one of you mind carrying me over that river? Just DON'T OPEN IT UNTIL NIGHTFALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. What was that? No, I'm not a vampire honest, it's just that I have a disease that the guy with a +30 Heal modifier never heard of which makes my glowing red eyes particularly sensitive to light and for some reason never used any of my vast fortune to have it cured."

Unless someone's using this build you will be found out. :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:06:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:14:48 PM »
(This is a re-post from the setup thread) I think that Improved Familiar would be a waste, since Cabinet Adept wouldn't advance the familiar (it doesn't grant arcane casting). I've taken Quick Change in its place, so that I can make an advanced disguise (Standard+Move+Swift actions) in one round, but if anyone has a suggestion (See Char here), please chime in!
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »

"No need to spend so long cooking that, I prefer it rare. Oh, the sun will be up soon. I'd better get in my box. Would one of you mind carrying me over that river? Just DON'T OPEN IT UNTIL NIGHTFALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. What was that? No, I'm not a vampire honest, it's just that I have a disease that the guy with a +30 Heal modifier never heard of which makes my glowing red eyes particularly sensitive to light and for some reason never used any of my vast fortune to have it cured."

Unless someone's using this build you will be found out. :P

Didn't read Flay's char sheet to see what his artifact does, did you? :D
He's also using the Tome vampire template, which is different from the traditional one.

@Chemus: Doesn't it advance arcane spellcasting? It grants Adept spellcasting if you have no other source of spells, but otherwise it's advancing your warlock caster progression, which I believe for the purposes of this counts as an arcane casting class (otherwise you wouldn't really be able to take Obtain Familiar).
:)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »
Aside from the +10 HP at the start, were there any other bonuses/houserules/etc.?

EDIT: Also, 32 or 36PB? I forgot...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:46:06 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
So, just to make sure I'm correct on the matter.

Let's say I steal the warlock's humanoid form and see the unseen invocations.  They'll be stored for a minute.  I decide that I really need to grab a guy who just whooshed past me on the lightning rail.

Can I move forward (move action), dimension door 680 feet forward (standard action),
and then on my next turn recharge my dimension door by burning the stored humanoid form and see the unseen (free action), move forward (move action), and dimension door 680 feet onto the train?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »
So, just to make sure I'm correct on the matter.

Let's say I steal the warlock's humanoid form and see the unseen invocations.  They'll be stored for a minute.  I decide that I really need to grab a guy who just whooshed past me on the lightning rail.

Can I move forward (move action), dimension door 680 feet forward (standard action),
and then on my next turn recharge my dimension door by burning the stored humanoid form and see the unseen (free action), move forward (move action), and dimension door 680 feet onto the train?

Sorry, you can't burn existing spell effects to power your SLAs. I guess I should have been more clear. Once they're cast, they're cast. If they allow you to discharge the effects, you certainly can, but otherwise they're inaccessible at that point. You could spend a standard action to steal an SLA from someone else, but that can get messy in such a situation. I may let you burn action points to recharge an SLA, though I think there's a feat for that, particularly for Dragonmarks.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »
I'm not saying I have see the unseen and humoniod shape active, I mean that I have them stolen but not yet cast.
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Ahhhhhh.

Well, when you steal an SLA, you decide whether to recharge an SLA you already possess (or grant an effective extra casting of it) or to hold the new SLA on reserve for the minute, which allows you to use abilities you don't otherwise have.

The free action is spent when you steal the SLA. I could grant a class ability that allows you to do what you're asking, though, since the way it's set up right now is kind of messy and you might effectively not have any class features where otherwise you would. I really need to sort of sit down and write this up in order to balance it.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? Would it break things too much to allow TML to decide whether to use an SLA or recharge one of his own on the spot?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
Why is TML's "Additional Information" making me think of... ah yes, now I remember Evert Darter. Make sure you steal Planar Bubble (Shavarath) at some point. :p

(Or maybe I was just still thinking of Tsukihime)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:11:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
What are you talking about?  They are totally different.  One of them is a undead paladin from an alternate universe with magical powers who goes adventuring, and the other's a mostly human noble descended from people from an alternate universe with magical powers who goes adventuring.

Also, one of them is an obvious ripoff of Archer, and the other's a less obvious ripoff of nightcrawler.

Anyway, invisible castle won't let me log in, so here are my rolls
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2346980/
Planetouched Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
What are you talking about?  They are totally different.  One of them is a undead paladin from an alternate universe with magical powers who goes adventuring, and the other's a mostly human noble descended from people from an alternate universe with magical powers who goes adventuring.

Also, one of them is an obvious ripoff of Archer, and the other isn't.
It just made me think of the explanation of Shirou's powers for some reason (particularly "mold the patterns and shape the conduits of magic"). He goes ages thinking he's magically inept, then he discovers he can copy other peoples' stuff.

I'll stop noticing these things shortly after I finish reading the LP of Tsukihime. Probably.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:17:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
It was more inspired by SCP-882, to be honest.

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally rolled 6 + 5d6 +d8 instead of 6+4d6+d8.  I'll throw out the highest roll.

EDIIT: How are we going to be handling momentum and teleports?  Seems like the most sensible way would be "pick either the reference frame of a large object or keep your own."

Basically, it would be totally cool to clothesline somebody by teleporting onto a train.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:45:03 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
@Chemus: Doesn't it advance arcane spellcasting? It grants Adept spellcasting if you have no other source of spells, but otherwise it's advancing your warlock caster progression, which I believe for the purposes of this counts as an arcane casting class (otherwise you wouldn't really be able to take Obtain Familiar).
:)

Warlock counts as an arcane spellcasting class, no question, but I had the impression that classes granting casting only at '+1 level in a spellcasting class...' was not counted as a spellcasting class since it has no list. And as written, the casting granted by the PrC is divine (I forgot about the Magewright, EBCS 256 (fixed the oversight)). I could be wrong about the interaction with Obtain Familiar, honestly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:01:50 PM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »
So, not knowing much about the setting, aside from common what languages do you advise?
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
@Chemus: I'm basically saying that for this game you can count it.

@TML: Racial languages can be useful, such as dwarven, elven, etc, draconic, basically anything that would be useful in other D&D campaigns. However, Giant might pop up more often than some campaigns, as they were once a highly advanced, magical race.

tallan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »
Well, my character works best with other psionic characters with the sharing of powers. Another kalashtar in the party would especially help, and would decide one of his feat slots.  That said, if there are any psychics in his group, it would be good to coordinate powers I think.
Deep in the tomb of indelible gloom, an angel waits to die.
High on the peak, where only fools seek, a dragon tried to get high.
To which one we go, well f*ck if I know, the point is to question why.