Author Topic: Natural Armor  (Read 3076 times)

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Natural Armor
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
What would be the best way to boost the natural armor bonus  by spells or magical items?

I will be playing a warrior-priest in a new adventure.

Thanks

Ezekiel

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Natural Armor
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
What limitations do you have?  That said, Bite of the Werebear is an excellent one to have cast on you by a friendly Druid/Wizard.  +7 natural armor and as an extra bonus, you get +16 Str, +2Dex, +8(?)Con, claw attacks, a bite attack, Power Attack, and Blind Fight.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
What limitations do you have?  That said, Bite of the Werebear is an excellent one to have cast on you by a friendly Druid/Wizard.  +7 natural armor and as an extra bonus, you get +16 Str, +2Dex, +8(?)Con, claw attacks, a bite attack, Power Attack, and Blind Fight.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have the party wizard look into it if he would like to learn this spell for me.

I have few limitations. We are playing a 10th level party and im able to cast 4th level divine spells. Most books are allowed or otherwise in debatable.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:14:41 PM by Ezekiel_NL »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
Polymorph.

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
Polymorph.

Thanks. Could be an option, but unlikely for me to get polymorphed.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »
What limitations do you have?  That said, Bite of the Werebear is an excellent one to have cast on you by a friendly Druid/Wizard.  +7 natural armor and as an extra bonus, you get +16 Str, +2Dex, +8(?)Con, claw attacks, a bite attack, Power Attack, and Blind Fight.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have the party wizard look into it if he would like to learn this spell for me.

I have few limitations. We are playing a 10th level party and im able to cast 4th level divine spells. Most books are allowed or otherwise in debatable.
That one is a Druid 6,Sorc/Wiz 7 spell, so it will be a level or 3 before it comes on the scene.  There are, however, lower-level Bite of the X spells that also grant impressive bonuses.  They can all be found in Spell Compendium.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
I believe all the Bite spells are Personal range so unless you can cast it yourself/UMD you're out of luck for the most part.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »
you can be an archivist and cast it as well in a few short levels.  and you can still get a warrior priest feel to the character

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
Outsider type + shapechange domain + alter self for dwarf ancestor?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rooster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
There's also a spell called Scintilating Scales that converts NA into Deflection, which helps against touch attacks. It's in one of the dragon-related books, I can't remember which one.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 01:49:40 AM »
you can be an archivist and cast it as well in a few short levels.  and you can still get a warrior priest feel to the character

Indeed, but since there was not much information about the build, I wanted to make sure. :)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:54:17 AM »
There's also a spell called Scintilating Scales that converts NA into Deflection, which helps against touch attacks. It's in one of the dragon-related books, I can't remember which one.
It should be in the Spell Compendium too.

Ezekiel_NL

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 04:59:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »
Draconomicon. Its in the draconomicon.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
Draconomicon. Its in the draconomicon.
That version gives you a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Con modifier, but subtracts half as much from your natural armor bonus and only lasts one round/CL. The Spell Compendium version just changes your natural armor bonus into a deflection bonus and lasts one minute/CL.

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
The Tortle race (from Dragon, something about savage coast) has +3 Natural AC and is LA 0 race.  The Crucian is LA+2 and provides +8 Natural AC.

For spells there is always the obvious Barkskin spell.  I've played a Tortle druid before, and its a very hard guy to kill (+2 wis also).
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
I'm a fan of using Alter Self to become a Tren (lizardfolk variant from Serpent Kingdoms), for +8NA, but that's wizard/sorc.  Ask these guys what the best way is to get it on your list.  :)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
Shape Soulmeld (Wormtail Belt) is a +2 or +3 bonus to Nat Armor. Combine with Soul Boon (2nd level Cleric Spell) to get up to +6/+7 from the belt for a 2nd level spell slot and a feat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
If you have crazy feats to spare, getting Bind Vestige and Practiced Binder for Dahlver-Nar gives you 1/2 your Con score as a Natural Armor bonus (and, incidentally, immunity to getting your Wisdom score lowered, basically). Alternatively, a class level, but you've not listed that as possible so it's probably not really applicable.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.