Author Topic: The Crusader's Handbook  (Read 61922 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: The Crusader's Handbook
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »
Feats are finished! Magic items coming up next.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
When you get to that point, it's worth noting that Knight can be a worthwhile 3 level dip (although you may want 4, just because) for a lockdown build.  In addition to the penalties in place and denial, now they've also got to contend with difficult terrain.  It also nabs you some some bigger hit die and a will save boost, which never hurt.  The Challenge options also mean a bit more control over your enemies.  In gestalt, Knight is an excellent option to go on the other side.

Notes: Armor spikes and a guirsame work just as well as a spiked chain for lockdown and you don't need to waste a feat.

Changelings can make good Crusaders.  Not on their own, necessarily, but they do provide pretty close to painless qualification for Warshaper.  Even 2 levels in this PrC can be worth it, but there's not much reason not to take 4.  Immunity to critical hits and stunning is always nice, but especially for a guy who plans on taking a lot of hits.  Morphic Weapons can allow you to use a normal reach weapon and still be effective at lockdown in closer ranges.  The extra Str and Con from Warshaper 2 are obvious in their application.  The extra reach from the 3rd level is great and 4th level's fast healing makes you a little more durable still and assures you're ready to go for every fight.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:11:13 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Growin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »
I'm starting a 1st level game (Phaethon's have +2 level adjustment.  The DM just said I won't gain another level until I gain enough experience to hit level 4)  Any thoughts on where I should go as far as feat/skill selection?  We have not started yet so I can move stuff around.  I'm thinking at level 3 to get Reinforced Wings (Races of Dragons page 101)

hp 12
---------------------------------
Male phaethon crusader 1
LG Medium Humanoid (Elf, Fire)
Init +1; Senses Low Light Vision; Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages Elven
---------------------------------------------------------------
AC: 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14
Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1
------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: 30 ft. Fly 60 ft. (Good)
Melee: +3 Guisarme (2d4+3/x3)
Melee: +3 Club (1d6+3/x3)
Ranged: Shortbow +2 (1d6/x3)
Base Atk: +1; Grp: +3
Maneuvers (Readied)
     1-Crusader's Strike, Stone Bones, Leading the Attack, Vanguard Strike, Douse the Flame
Stance: Martial Spirit
------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 15
SQ: Steely Resolve 5, Furious Counterstrike
Feats: Improved Flight
Skills: Intimidate +6, Survival +3
Possessions: Guisarme, Shortbow, Club, Chainshirt
Phaethons possess the following racial traits: -2 Strength, +2 Wis
Flaming Wings: As a free action that does not draw an attack of opportunity, a phaethon can manifest a pair of fiery wings that enable him to fly.  These wings may also be used to cause fire damage in unarmed combat.  A phaethon who makes an unarmed strike while his wings are manifested inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage in addition to the standard unarmed damage.  A phaethon who is involved in a grapple may add this damage to any other damage inflicted on the opponent as a result of a grapple check.  A phaethon has a fly speed of 60 feet (average) when his wings are manifestd.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »
I'm starting a 1st level game (Phaethon's have +2 level adjustment.  The DM just said I won't gain another level until I gain enough experience to hit level 4)  Any thoughts on where I should go as far as feat/skill selection?  We have not started yet so I can move stuff around.  I'm thinking at level 3 to get Reinforced Wings (Races of Dragons page 101)

hp 12
---------------------------------
Male phaethon crusader 1
LG Medium Humanoid (Elf, Fire)
Init +1; Senses Low Light Vision; Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages Elven
---------------------------------------------------------------
AC: 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14
Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1
------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: 30 ft. Fly 60 ft. (Good)
Melee: +3 Guisarme (2d4+3/x3)
Melee: +3 Club (1d6+3/x3)
Ranged: Shortbow +2 (1d6/x3)
Base Atk: +1; Grp: +3
Maneuvers (Readied)
     1-Crusader's Strike, Stone Bones, Leading the Attack, Vanguard Strike, Douse the Flame
Stance: Martial Spirit
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 15
SQ: Steely Resolve 5, Furious Counterstrike
Feats: Improved Flight
Skills: Intimidate +6, Survival +3
Possessions: Guisarme, Shortbow, Club, Chainshirt
Phaethons possess the following racial traits: -2 Strength, +2 Wis
Flaming Wings: As a free action that does not draw an attack of opportunity, a phaethon can manifest a pair of fiery wings that enable him to fly.  These wings may also be used to cause fire damage in unarmed combat.  A phaethon who makes an unarmed strike while his wings are manifested inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage in addition to the standard unarmed damage.  A phaethon who is involved in a grapple may add this damage to any other damage inflicted on the opponent as a result of a grapple check.  A phaethon has a fly speed of 60 feet (average) when his wings are manifestd.
I would suggest a different race, or at least add on dragonborn

For 1st levels feats, I always like to start off EWP:Spiked Chain for tripping fun

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
Does the Stone Power feat activate on an Attack of Opportunity if was activated earlier in the round.

Ie... I attack with Stone Power to get the temp HP.  I get attacked and take damage lowering those Temp HP.  Someone then provokes AOO.  Does the provoked attack allow me to fill back up on Temp HP (I know they would not stack)?
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
pretty sure the penalty applies to all of the attacks.

started re-reading it and it only applies when attacking as a standard or full round action. So it would only apply on your turn and not to the AoOs and you wouldn't gain the temp HP.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
I would mention somewhere that the Crusaders stance progression is bonkers.
A straight Crusader 20 won't get access to Immortal Fortitude, which I find is made up of all kinds of fail.

You either need to multiclass 2 levels (hrrm, perhaps those handy Wolfish Barbarian ones?) before taking the 14th level in Crusader.
Since 14+(2/1)=15, enough to nab IL 15 when you gain your final stance.

Or you need to pick Martial Stance as a feat at 15 or 18 level.

+++EDIT+++

Bah, that's what I get for failing a spot check...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:57:41 PM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »
That's already all covered in the guide.

Of course, I would go Fighter 2 over Barbarian 2, but both have their appeal.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
I think I see it.

You -5 on attack rolls to get +10 hp and then Cobalt Power kicks in negating the -5 or giving a bonus to Trip/Bull rush and then to make you feel better, +5 damage to help with Stand Still checks.

That combo is nifty.
Is there any Magic of Incarnum errata?  My copy of MoI says that Cobalt Power only gives its bonus to bull rush, overrun, and sunder checks.  If it helped trips that would be pretty awesome for some of my builds.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
I think I see it.

You -5 on attack rolls to get +10 hp and then Cobalt Power kicks in negating the -5 or giving a bonus to Trip/Bull rush and then to make you feel better, +5 damage to help with Stand Still checks.

That combo is nifty.
Is there any Magic of Incarnum errata?  My copy of MoI says that Cobalt Power only gives its bonus to bull rush, overrun, and sunder checks.  If it helped trips that would be pretty awesome for some of my builds.

My copy mentions the damage bonus. Perhaps different prints, or a misreading on your part?

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 01:41:39 AM »
Skills: 4+int modifier, but not that many skills to choose from. Max out Concentration, Intimidate, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religion), Martial Lore, and Balance/Ride, in that order. They are your priorities.

Why do we max out concentration as a Crusader?   

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
Skills: 4+int modifier, but not that many skills to choose from. Max out Concentration, Intimidate, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religion), Martial Lore, and Balance/Ride, in that order. They are your priorities.

So you can use the Diamond Mind manuvers you get via Warblade/Swordsage//PrC/Martial Study/Ring effectively.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
Okay just making sure.  This line of advice is poor without qualifications.  A pure crusader has absolutely no use for Concentration unless they take one of these options.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

Actually, it's because Crusader is a good entry to JPM and RKV. Casters like Concentration. But Diamond Mind via Martial Study works too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:03 AM »
Do you mind if I post the Idiot Crusader here? Or is that more of a dirty trick kind of thing?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 02:38:39 AM »
Do you mind if I post the Idiot Crusader here? Or is that more of a dirty trick kind of thing?

Never seen it before. Link?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »

Never seen it before. Link?

It was a concept I came up with about a week and a half ago (Link: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8218.0). The general idea is to get a crusader with many maneuvers readied (and thus granted) but very few actually known. So few, in fact, that you can't ready your full allotment of maneuvers, thus never having any maneuvers left to grant, resulting in your maneuvers refreshing automatically every turn. There were a few interesting builds, including one with 9th level spells, 9th level maneuvers (including 9 granted), Divine Impetus, and the usual assortment of headaches that comes from combining Ur-Priest with Ruby Knight Vindicator.
   The discussion of what happens when you flat out can't select enough maneuvers known at a given level also came up as another method of attaining large amounts of freely refreshing high level maneuvers, instead of being stuck with 5 1st or 2nd level maneuvers and only 4 or 5 higher level ones, at least on the Crusader side.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »
Bumped for posterity. This book deserves attention.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
Faith Unswerving, particularly the Take One For the Team ability, seems to run counter to the whole idea that a Crusader can afford, even benefit from, a low AC.  It seems to me you'd almost need to build your Crusader with this feat and its prerequisite in mind, rather than building as you normally would for a Crusader.  Thoughts?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?