Author Topic: The Tides of Time: Chapter 1 - The First Wave  (Read 26946 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: The Tides of Time: Chapter 1 - The First Wave
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
"Yes, too many of them, I suppose. Hopefully our belongings are here, but I doubt they have the guts to cheat us anymore. I'd rather not stay in this town though, if these sailors are not getting out of here... Gammoan whispers to his former prison mates.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
Finally off the ship, you all quickly wander away from the docks and come to a crossroads.  The cobblestone road continues off to the Northeast towards Ssan Ryss, while well traveled clay roads  split off to the East and North, circling the city and the hill it is built on.

The city looks magnificent at the top of the hill, now that you have pause to look at it fully.  Farmsteads run all along the hill and the flatland surrounding it.  To the west, beyond the farms, you can see the coastline, which continues around and to the south, as well.  The signpost at the crossroads indicates Ssan Ryss to the Northeast, an inn known as the Flatland Goat lies somewhere to the North, and the Tradewind Road is in the East.

[spoiler]Congratulations, you've made it off the boat. :P
Everyone levels to 2.  You can all decide where you want to go next. I told you the campaign would be slightly more free-roam or 'sandbox' as I've been told it's called.[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
Dimen leads the crew to [Insert name here], the nearest Tavern. "I believe a monastery of my order is located here." he told them. "Right before I was captured, I witnessed the death of my Master. I must inform them, so they can send word via carrier pigeon to my monastery."

With that he headed up the road, moving further away from the port. The Monasteries of the Swaying Oak were always located on a hill to symbolize enlightenment being above earthly matters, so Dimen continued to move away from the sea, searching the far side of the city for such hills, knowing one be where the monastery resided.

At the gate, he spoke to the man keeping watch, an orange-belt, like Dimen. Dimen spoke, "I am Dimen of the monastery at Asaria. I have news of my Master's passing which I must report. Please allow me to enter."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
The guardsman nods solemnly at Dimen's news and motions for the gates to be opened.  Another orange-belt approaches from the outer cloister and the guardsman bows slightly to him.  This is Dimen, of Asaria.  He has news for the Masters. Take him to the lunch hall and see that he is fed.  Then send news to the Masters that a visitor has arrived.

The monk nods, turns to Dimen and speaks in a soft voice, Follow me, the Masters will send for you when they have finished their meditation.  He turns and motions for Dimen as he glides forward toward the inner cloister.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
After Dimen leaves Tarwin and the gnome at the Tavern, Tarwin takes the opportunity to look around at the place.

Interesting town, he thinks to himself.  I could really do with a bath...

He approaches the barkeep and asks after renting a room nearby.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
The barkeep, a gruff six-and-a-half foot tall lizard, watches Tarwin approach.
Room'ss fives ssilverss.  Public Bath'ss by the ssquare... He pauses and stares at his claws for a few seconds.  Three blockss overs.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
Once in the inner cloister, Dimen is shown to the lunch hall - a long room, over 80 feet long with low, long tables lined across it.  Sporadically throughout the room, there are a number of monks of varying races and belts, some eating and some chatting.  Quietly shown to a table, Dimen in served a warm meal in silence, save for the occasional eye contact and nod from another monk in the room.

Less than an hour later, a lower ranking monk than Dimen, a young man who has just barely reached adulthood, approaches and bows. The Masters will see you now.  He turns and begins to walk away, stops abruptly and turns back to Dimen, red faced. If you will follow me, he bows apologetically and waits for Dimen to stand before heading out of the mess hall and through a slight maze of corridors, coming to a halt at a set of large wooden doors.  He knocks briefly, places his ear to the door and then nods towards Dimen.

They're ready. With that he pulls open one of the doors and ushers Dimen inside...

As the door closes behind him, Dimen sees three elderly men sitting on the stone floor in the center of the room.  The room itself is a dome shaped room no more than 30 feet wide.  About two-thirds of the way up the walls, there are three windows seemingly trisecting the room.  Likewise, between each set of windows, on the ground lies a set of double doors.  It would be very easy to get confused as to which door led which way, Dimen quickly realized.

The three Masters were all wearing matching beige robes, tied at the waist with simple rope.  Their feet were hidden under their robes, but they likely wore the most basic of sandals, if they wore shoes at all.  Each sat about five feet away from the exact center of the room, which held a small, empty cushion.  They sat with their backs each to one window, facing inwards toward the cusion.  In fact, the room looked almost like it was the same image replicated three times. The only thing that kept Dimen from being instantly lost was that the three Masters were of different races.  The two that sat with their backs slighty towards Dimen were the most human, although it was easy to see the elven features of the master on Dimen's right, even from this angle.  The other's graying, short beard hid most of his features, but his height indicated his human nature.  The Master facing Dimen as he entered was a short, lizard-like creature.  His yellow eyes matched the yellow scales that went down his neck and disappeared into his robe.  The rest of his scales were a dull green, seemingly covered in dust.

After a moment to allow Dimen to view the room, he motions with his small, scaled, clawed hand toward the cushion.  Come sson.  Have a sseat.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03:40 AM »
Dimen bowed down before the three masters. "I am Dimen of the Swaying Oak Monastery at Twilight Forest across the western sea. I come bearing news of the death of my master, Master Poe."

With that, he describes the events leading to his master's death. Master Poe had learned of the death of a friend of his from his rash younger days and had left on a journey to pay his respects to his fallen friend. He asked for two of his students to accompany him and nearly all of them volunteered. Being a fair master, he decided who would come with him by the drawing of lots.

The two who were chosen were Dimen and Allen, both orange belts who joined the monastery at about the same time and were rivals in many things. While Dimen was stronger in physical and mental abilities, Allen knew the weaknesses of the human body and could strike a person with deadly accuracy. The two were rivals to the fullest, but they behaved in the presence of their master. What Poe didn't know, however, was that Allen sought martial arts as a means to power and wealth. And when exploring the seaside village of Lune on his own (the Master was encouraging them to see the world with their own eyes), Dimen saw Allen walk out of a bar with a smug look on his face, looking down on Dimen as if he were on top of the world.

Allen did not return to the Inn that night and the next day a note was found addressed to Poe saying that they had his student and gave him an address and a time. Poe knew it was a trap, but had to go regardless, believing his student's life was in danger. Arriving at the place specified on the note, they were ambushed by a group of masked thugs led by a skilled swordsman whose body was too stubborn to take wounds and whose sword techniques restricted movement. As his master fell to the swordsman's blade, Dimen was struck in the back with a sap. As his eyes blurred and he began to fall, he saw one of the thugs remove his mask: it was Allen!

Dimen then recounts the voyage at sea. Apparently he had been sold as a slave. Together with his fellow slaves they had managed to force their pirate captors into a stalemate, where they managed to get the lady captain to release them at this port. And that ends the story of the fall of Master Poe and Dimen's arrival at Ssan Rhys.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
Thiss iss mosst greviouss newss, young Dimen. The scaled Master remarks after a moment of careful thought.  The other two nod in agreement, slowly.

The elven Master speaks up first, Today is a sad day for the light. We have lost a noble defender of the righteous path.  There is sadness in his voice as he continues, I knew Master Poe.  He was a good man, and I am sorry to hear this news.  I grieve with you this day, young one.  The others nod along with this Master's confession.

There is a moment of silence before the elderly human speaks up.  I know what must be on your heart, but do not worry.  The world is still in balance.  While it may seem that the light has lost a great friend and that the dark has gained a new apprentice, it has all happened for a reason.  Do not let it weigh negatively on your heart or mind.  Follow the path and you will see the balance.

The scaled Master nods at these words and meets Dimen's eyes.  There iss no peace in vengeance.  Let thiss betrayal go and you will grow sstronger for it... He pauses for a moment. We musst ssee to Masster Poe'ss memorial sservice. And newss musst be ssent to Twilight Foresst.  The elven Master stands, silently, and glides towards one of the doors Dimen did not enter from. He bows slightly toward Dimen and the Masters before exiting the room.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
"And a meal perhaps?" Tarwin asks, looking around for something that might pass as a kitchen.  Assuming he finds one, he fishes a gold coin out of his pouch, and asks that a room be set aside and food be ready when he returns from his bath.  Otherwise, he'll give the lizard 6 silvers.

Striding back out into the sunlight, he orients himself within the town and heads off toward the indicated bath house.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
The barkeep's eyes lock onto the gold piece and it is quickly pocketed.  He nods eagerly at Tarwin's request, Muttonss and Mead for ssupper.

As Tarwin leaves, the barkeep goes back to wiping out some mugs, keeping a wary eye on Gammoan.

Meanwhile, outside the tavern, it is a beautiful, clear day.  After watching the townsfolk for a moment, Tarwin is able to guesstimate which way the square is and arrives at the Public Baths before long.    The square is actually more of a rectangle, although one half is taken up by the 'baths.'

The baths themselves are outdoors, in the refreshing sunlight.  Split into four round pools, it is easy to follow how the local citizens use the bath.  There is a series of cubby holes in a wall between the 'first' and 'last' bathing pool, guarded by what appears to be four town guards.  After one puts their clothing in a cubby, they move to the first pool, a normal appearing pool and seem to rinse the worst of the grime off.  This first pool has three different reptilian heads that pump in new water, and a large drain system at the bottom.

Once the worst grime is scrubbed off, you move to the second pool, which has similar reptilian heads pumping water in. However, the steam pouring off this water indicates its heat.  Many are slow to transfer to this pool.  All along the pool are young men and women selling homemade soap to whoever may need it that day.

The third pool appears to have benches laid around the edges and is much larger than the first two.  The steam coming off this pool belies its relaxing, sauna-like purpose. Males and females of many races relax in this pool.  The final pool is a cooled pool, meant to finish off the full experience and lower one's body temperature back to normal. There are also a series of benches were people sit and talk next to this pool while they air dry.  In one corner, by this pool is a Kobold selling home-made towels, for those who do not want to air-dry.

Tarwin notices that most of the reptilian citizens skip the fourth pool in the cycle.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Beginning to undress, Tarwin asks one of the city guards how much the soap and towels usually go for, and clutches enough silver and coppers to pay for them.  He approaches the Kobold, and purchases a small towel, which he then places on his head before removing the cloth concealing his forehead.  He scrubs off the worst of his grime and then moves to the second pool, purchasing a bar of soap and taking his time in the hot water, all the while keeping an eye on the contents of his cubby hole.  He lounges for a while in the third pool, soaking the sea salt out of his bones, while the wet cloth on his head dribbles water down the sides of his face.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2009, 06:08:23 PM »
One of the guards lets Tarwin know he can get all his supplies for a silver, and tells him not to worry about the cubby holes. They're safe. He assures Tarwin.

At the towel stand, the Kobold seems excited to have a customer and after a quick nibble to check the quality of the coin, it disappears from his hand and he passes a towel to Tarwin.  A similar experience occurs with a young man who manages to make his payment disappear almost as fast as the small Kobold.

As Tarwin lounges in the third pool, a voice draws his attention back to the people in the pool. Well hello there, Stranger.  Standing in the pool, almost leaning over Tarwin is a magnificently beautiful woman.  Her golden skin seems at odds with her long, fair-colored hair.  She turns her head slightly, smiling at Tarwin as he notices her magnificent body and hair that drapes down to her thighs, braided in a most peculiar manner.  She continues to stand, half-leaning in a most provocative manner for a few more seconds before she asks, May I? And promptly sits down pleasantly close to Tarwin.

She leans back and relaxes as her breasts just barely touch the water, rippling slightly.  Tarwin is easily aware of the younger men staring inappropriately at the woman, but she seems to not care.  Completely comfortable with her body, one that is at once pleasing to the eyes and at the same time clearly designed for child birth, she turns her head slightly and opens an eye to meet Tarwin's gaze.  I don't believe you're from around here, Stranger.  My name is Bellara; It's a pleasure. Her smile is pleasant, and it is hard to determine whether there is any mischief presence in her grin.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:36:48 PM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »
Dimen spoke words about his master that evening, as did a few others who knew him. Though even as they grieved,the thoughts would not go away. He had held the memory at bay on the ship by keeping himself busy with meditation and exercise, but speaking about his master in front of these monks meant he had to acknowledge what actually happened. And as he was acknowledging it, a thought entered his mind. A small flicker like a candle surrounded that thought, though the flame was much warmer than it's size would let on.

The stillness in his life had been broken. The balance had been broken. The balance was so fragile; all it took was a strong force and it would be torn asunder. Yet no amount of balance could have prevented this. What is defense against a greater offense? What is stillness against a tidal wave?
If he had been stronger, they could have won. If he had been stronger, then Master Poe would still be alive!

The small flame in the back of Dimen's mind grew tenfold as the anger he had been shielding himself against broke free. He was angry at that man for taking his master's life. He was angry at the world for giving birth to such cruelty. But most of all, he was angry at himself for being so weak. For not being able to do anything.

He immediately went to leave the monastery. The gatekeeper asked him where he was going: it was just after nightfall, and he could stay at their monastery for as long as he wished. He replied: "I can no longer spend my time walking the path of a monk of the Swaying Oak. It is too slow. I must become stronger as quickly as possible, even if it means I am no longer fit to wear this."

He removes the orange sash and drops it onto the ground. He moves swiftly down the hill, each step taking him further away from the path to enlightenment.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »
Dimen arrives at the bar. He doesn't have much money, but he did feel like getting a drink. It had been a long day and he didn't want to bother figuring out what he was going to do tomorrow until the day arrived.

He saw Tarwin was having a good time, at least. He was sure the gnome as nearby, but didn't see him.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
"And a pleasure for myself as well," Tarwin says while doing his best to look her in the face, and thus maintain a scrap of her dignity.  "Though I must caution such an angelic form as yourself that you seek company with a damned and retched sinner..." He pauses to clear his throat, and continues, "My name is Tarwin, a humble servant of the Mighty Brawler."

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
She laughs a soft pleasant laugh, I'm sure you can't be that bad. After all, no one's pure and perfect in this city.  She leans slight closer to Tarwin as she speaks, almost relaxing on his arm, but hovering just out of touch. Where do you hail from, Tarwin, servant of Kord? You don't look much like a merchant or corrupt aristocrat, so what brought you to Ssan Ryss?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
"Honestly, I can't tell you why I was brought here.  I was kidnapped and brought here by ship.  I and several other prisoners were dumped at the docks just this morning.  This is my first bath in days, and it's been quite relaxing thus far."  Despite the guards' earlier statement of the safety of his items, Tarwin glances over in the direction of his cubby hole, for no real reason other than it gives him an excuse to look away from the naked form close beside him.  He cups a bit of water in his hand and uses it to keep the cloth on his head dampened.

At least I needn't have too much fear of standing out oddly in this city.  Her golden skin is much more conspicuous than my ashen pallor, he thinks to himself.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:48:35 PM by ksbsnowowl »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »
Kidnapped?! Bellara's hand covers her mouth as she gasps, and despite Tarwin's efforts to the contrary, the motion of her breasts as she moves catches his attention for a second before he forces himself to stare at the cubby holes, where the guards still stand.  In fact, he can still see his belongings in the cubby hole he left them at.

How terrible. Who would do such a thing?  No longer lying parallel to Tarwin, Bellara has sat up in the bath and turned to face him, seemingly concerned about his well being.  Tarwin notices a pair of younger boys whispering with the occasional glance stolen at Bellara. She doesn't seem to notice.  After a moment's thought, she continues, You've been stuck on a ship for days? When was the last time you had a home-cooked meal?  Oh you must come have dinner with me tonight.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook